Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think I'd characterise it as fascism because fascists tend to be overt about using force by any means to achieve an end they believe to be just.

Ancaps appear to believe that, if left to its own devices, the free market will create fascism for them. While not really understanding it to be fascism.

They're like if fascists were incredibly lazy and also were afraid of being fascists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Capitalism is fascism

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Capitalism is poo poo but fascism has a more specific definition than "everything that is poo poo".

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think I'd characterise it as fascism because fascists tend to be overt about using force by any means to achieve an end they believe to be just.

Ancaps appear to believe that, if left to its own devices, the free market will create fascism for them. While not really understanding it to be fascism.

They're like if fascists were incredibly lazy and also were afraid of being fascists.

I guess, kind of; except that they're approaching the blending of market and government from the opposite direction. Most ancaps seem to balk at the idea of centralized authority, too; that's kind of essential to actual fascist thought. And they'd probably be less than impressed by the trade protectionism.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Goon Danton posted:

Part of the problem is that Mad Max: Fury Road came out and did everything we tried to do with Valhalla DRO, and it was :perfect:

Immortan DRO. :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

I guess, kind of; except that they're approaching the blending of market and government from the opposite direction. Most ancaps seem to balk at the idea of centralized authority, too; that's kind of essential to actual fascist thought. And they'd probably be less than impressed by the trade protectionism.

Well yeah, you'd get de facto fascism to some extent as society collapsed and you can argue that their apparent desire for massive unopposed corporations run by diktat setting the entire political landscape is... possibly a bit fascist but I don't think they are consciously trying for it or that they recognize it entirely to the extent it might cause it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lightning Lord posted:

I liked the guy on the original subreddit the Greek Encounter was posted on who pointed out that continental Europeans have no reference point for the American libertarian tradition, so the anarchists legit thought he was an unvarnished fascist trying to pull a fast one on them instead of a dewy-eyed idiot adherent of a half-assed broken telephone philosophy. Hilarious

Well, here's where he gives up the game:

quote:

And he asked me if I thought people were unequal. And I told him yes. And that not everyone would have equal rights. I said everyone has the right to own property and not be done aggression against. But that not everyone had to be treated equally by the owners. He said what about immigrants and racism. And I said that would not happen in a free market, but yes property owners could be racist if they wanted to. They had to respect property.

Literally "people shouldn't be treated equally"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

What they specifically want is to be made nobility where their value is unquestioned and respected, but there's no great authority really holding them down in their own little fiefdom. There's a king somewhere and there is possible taxes he'd like, but he isn't here right now so who gives a poo poo.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Crabtree posted:

What they specifically want is to be made nobility where their value is unquestioned and respected, but there's no great authority really holding them down in their own little fiefdom. There's a king somewhere and there is possible taxes he'd like, but he isn't here right now so who gives a poo poo.

The best way I ever heard it put came from an old buddy of mine; he pointed out they don't want to abolish the state they want to be the state. Whoever owns land has absolute control of every rule that land has because gently caress you they own it with no government telling them what they can and can't do with it. Which...makes whoever owns the land the state. So...yeah. They just want the whole planet split up into fiefdoms which is different states because reasons.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's why dudes like Jrod seem to get stoked over absolute monarchy. When property rights are the only rights then it's cool for one person to own basically all of the land and to be able to set the rules (that person probably earned that land, and since they're the property owners who am I to question their right to set up a line of inheritance and the extraction of rent/fees, which are definitely not taxes, from his tenants?)

White Coke
May 29, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

Ancaps appear to believe that, if left to its own devices, the free market will create fascism for them.

Fasismós apó tin agorá.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I have just started folliwing the Majority Report and a few years ago now the host issued an open challenge to Libertarians. Stuff is a goldmine.
Sam Seder vs Libertarians

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ0syDgMJ7k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53EdsAxoLIE

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Question for libertarians:

What is ownership? Like specifically, what makes an item, piece of land, whatever, belong to you? Does it take on additional properties? What makes it yours in a de facto sense?

Inquiring minds want to know.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Ocrassus posted:

What is ownership? Like specifically, what makes an item, piece of land, whatever, belong to you? Does it take on additional properties? What makes it yours in a de facto sense?

Basically they just say that everything they own now is legally theirs. If some indigenous people want to claim it they need to have the appropriate paperwork proving an unbroken chain of possession until it was unlawfully stolen, never mind the fact that it was usually the government doing the stealing. There's usually some mention of homesteading/working the land (putting your dick in it) as being the basis of ownership, but libertarianism is all about sustaining the status quo when it suits the libertarian in question.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You have to dig a little hole and then put your dick in the hole and then hump the dirt until you jizz in it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Ocrassus posted:

Everything mine is naturally and rightly mine. Everything yours is probably stolen from me.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

White Coke posted:

Basically they just say that everything they own now is legally theirs. If some indigenous people want to claim it they need to have the appropriate paperwork proving an unbroken chain of possession until it was unlawfully stolen, never mind the fact that it was usually the government doing the stealing. There's usually some mention of homesteading/working the land (putting your dick in it) as being the basis of ownership, but libertarianism is all about sustaining the status quo when it suits the libertarian in question.

Lockean proviso. A lot of (atheistic) libertarians tend to ignore the fact that that is based heavily on god affording man dominion of the earth though for the purpose of working it, and so the 'dominion' transfers through the work. Throw that out the window and you lose any sense of 'objective' ownership from locke's theory.

My thinking is that the only reason you even have property in the first place is because a plurality of everybody else who could challenge that claim agrees with you. Because of that mutual agreement they won't steal poo poo from you and will even punish people who break that contract. This means that property exists by virtue of permission of the society you live in (in the case of democracy, that is everyone else). Taxation is not society taking your wealth, it is a reciprocal arrangement where you are allowed to have stuff in exchange for some of the surplus value you create be appropriated for means decided on by society.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Ocrassus posted:

Lockean proviso. A lot of (atheistic) libertarians tend to ignore the fact that that is based heavily on god affording man dominion of the earth though for the purpose of working it, and so the 'dominion' transfers through the work. Throw that out the window and you lose any sense of 'objective' ownership from locke's theory.

My thinking is that the only reason you even have property in the first place is because a plurality of everybody else who could challenge that claim agrees with you. Because of that mutual agreement they won't steal poo poo from you and will even punish people who break that contract. This means that property exists by virtue of permission of the society you live in (in the case of democracy, that is everyone else). Taxation is not society taking your wealth, it is a reciprocal arrangement where you are allowed to have stuff in exchange for some of the surplus value you create be appropriated for means decided on by society.

Libertarians don't in general disagree with the second point if you look at how they handle issues like abandonment of property e.g. abandoning property without giving notice is not abandonment it's absenteeism. Without recognising that element everyone believes you can be an adverse possessor.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Disinterested posted:

Libertarians don't in general disagree with the second point if you look at how they handle issues like abandonment of property e.g. abandoning property without giving notice is not abandonment it's absenteeism. Without recognising that element everyone believes you can be an adverse possessor.

Well too often do I hear screeches of taxation is theft these days. A little more often since the orange one was elected..

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Ocrassus posted:

Well too often do I hear screeches of taxation is theft these days. A little more often since the orange one was elected..

'Property is a social construct' =/= 'any use of property approved of by the majority is moral'.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Disinterested posted:

'Property is a social construct' =/= 'any use of property approved of by the majority is moral'.

Beefing with the use cases of property approved by majority already concedes the point though. There are certainly plenty of ways taxation can be used by a government or a society immorally, but that still concedes that the process taxation isn't inherently immoral, that it is not 'stealing', and even that the people who benefit most from the existence of such a system (the rich) should pay the most towards its upkeep.

You can bellyache about taxation in a democracy and try to work through the law to change it. That is what those systems are in place for.

a neurotic ai fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 11, 2017

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Ocrassus posted:

Beefing with the use cases of property approved by majority already concedes the point though. There are certainly plenty of ways taxation can be used by a government or a society immorally, but that still concedes that taxation isn't inherently immoral.

You can bellyache about taxation in a democracy and try to work through the law to change it. That is what those systems are in place for.

'Taxation is theft' is a motto but it doesn't reflect a totally absolute belief on the part of all libertarians. The issue for them (funnily enough) is consent, or else the agent.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Disinterested posted:

'Taxation is theft' is a motto but it doesn't reflect a totally absolute belief on the part of all libertarians. The issue for them (funnily enough) is consent, or else the agent.

imagine the consent issues if you told the libertarian that the child is a tax collector

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

divabot posted:

imagine the consent issues if you told the libertarian that the child is a tax collector

Does that work like the cat and toast drive where them spinning between consenting and not consenting can be used to power poo poo?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Ocrassus posted:

The purest ancap answer: It's what you mix your labor with. If I claim land and plant crops, or build a home, or dig a mine, that land is mine. I can only claim that which 1) I have homesteaded by mixing labor with, 2) The land required for the above [buffer zones, fallow fields, etc], and 3) land that I have justly obtained from others who at some point homesteaded or justly acquired.

Some would say "that which you can defend," and I even tried that on a few times, saying "obviously you can't just claim the whole continent because the cost of defense would go up exponentially". And in fact, some would say that's kind of the definition of private wilderness parkland - while you haven't necessarily labored to keep it pristine, you labor by controlling access and preventing people from despoiling it. (Of course this really opens a can of worms with the "controlling access means ownership" bit...)

The more reasonable libertarian answer I came up with a few years in: Community standards, obviously, have a place, because otherwise it's a matter of who fires their shotgun first. Like the buffer land - who decides how much is enough? Does mowing my lawn count as "mixing labor"? And who's to say that's YOUR land? I have a document too! Who knows which is forged and who cares? So we had some kind of central repository of property ownership information. And every community is different. Some will be fine with you claiming ten acres for your house, some won't want you pulling more than a few feet of buffer space between houses.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Sorry for the side-topic: Was it you or some different similarly-named poster, who had the "ask me about being a former libertarian" type thread? I'm not quite remembering an old link.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Golbez posted:

The purest ancap answer: It's what you mix your labor with. If I claim land and plant crops, or build a home, or dig a mine, that land is mine. I can only claim that which 1) I have homesteaded by mixing labor with, 2) The land required for the above [buffer zones, fallow fields, etc], and 3) land that I have justly obtained from others who at some point homesteaded or justly acquired.

Some would say "that which you can defend," and I even tried that on a few times, saying "obviously you can't just claim the whole continent because the cost of defense would go up exponentially". And in fact, some would say that's kind of the definition of private wilderness parkland - while you haven't necessarily labored to keep it pristine, you labor by controlling access and preventing people from despoiling it. (Of course this really opens a can of worms with the "controlling access means ownership" bit...)

The more reasonable libertarian answer I came up with a few years in: Community standards, obviously, have a place, because otherwise it's a matter of who fires their shotgun first. Like the buffer land - who decides how much is enough? Does mowing my lawn count as "mixing labor"? And who's to say that's YOUR land? I have a document too! Who knows which is forged and who cares? So we had some kind of central repository of property ownership information. And every community is different. Some will be fine with you claiming ten acres for your house, some won't want you pulling more than a few feet of buffer space between houses.

I'm the implication of never being able to leave your property lest it become homesteaded by someone else

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Controlling access can mean ownership. Ask anyone in libertopia after their castle is besieged and utilities are cut off.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Anticheese posted:

Controlling access can mean ownership. Ask anyone in libertopia after their castle is besieged and utilities are cut off.

With no fiat-backed mob-rule regulator dictator to force a reasonable route accommodation, you can simply starve out your neighbor by surrounding his compound with bought land. Anything other than a perfect vertical column of power from a satellite emitter would be trespassing!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

QuarkJets posted:

I'm the implication of never being able to leave your property lest it become homesteaded by someone else

I'm the implication that the government actually owns the country and we are already in a libertarian paradise.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

No, no, this is why you have a DRO! See, you pay them, and they impose a code of law over your property. If you don't like their law, then you can switch to a competitor.

What's that? One DRO killing all of the others and forcing you to either pay for their laws or live outside the law, free game to all? That's preposterous.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

That is not an underlying implication.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Disinterested posted:

That is not an underlying implication.

It is in the ancap version of "we don't need no stinkin guvment" libertarianism

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

It is in the ancap version of "we don't need no stinkin guvment" libertarianism

I can't make sense of this as a response.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In the absence of a de-facto state there is no concrete and enforceable registry of property ownership, this isn't necessarily a problem for anarcho-communists because they would argue that you shouldn't be owning things of significance anyway, but for a philosophy built on the idea of owning property, it rather does present a problem whereby if you aren't actively patrolling your land with a rifle 24/7 someone might come along and stake a claim to it and there's nothing you can do about it.

Property and ownership thereof is a somewhat farcical concept without living in a state or commanding an army.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

If I genetically engineered a virus would it be my property? If someone was to then become infected without a receipt proving they paid for it, can I request my DRO charge the infected with theft?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

In the absence of a de-facto state there is no concrete and enforceable registry of property ownership, this isn't necessarily a problem for anarcho-communists because they would argue that you shouldn't be owning things of significance anyway, but for a philosophy built on the idea of owning property, it rather does present a problem whereby if you aren't actively patrolling your land with a rifle 24/7 someone might come along and stake a claim to it and there's nothing you can do about it.

Property and ownership thereof is a somewhat farcical concept without living in a state or commanding an army.

I agree these are problems de facto to some degree but cooperative communities of people who recognise one another's rights are a fundamental cornerstone of any libertarian ideology.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Disinterested posted:

I agree these are problems de facto to some degree but cooperative communities of people who recognise one another's rights are a fundamental cornerstone of any libertarian ideology.

Groups of people who, conveniently, only ever do anything when I specifically need or want them to do those things, and never anything else and especially not what I don't like.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

If I genetically engineered a virus would it be my property? If someone was to then become infected without a receipt proving they paid for it, can I request my DRO charge the infected with theft?

I'm gonna sue my slum tenants after they move out for stealing lead and asbestos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Once again we run into the inability of the Libertarian mind to grasp the the nature and implications of the state monopoly on force.