Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

IRQ posted:

He's said he would write things different in the books from what the show has done just for the sake of it.

I mean, yes, lol at him writing anything, but of course he's a contrarian bitch about it.

in a recent interview, he's still complaining that Dany's rape in the show wasn't heartwarming enough. http://time.com/4791258/game-of-thrones-george-r-r-martin-interview/

quote:

To a certain degree, also, it’s so intertwined, tragically and unfortunately, with the character histories. Daenerys doesn’t get to where she is unless she’s sold as a child bride, effectively a slave.

And I should point out, and you probably know this if you’ve read the books and watched the show, Daenerys’ wedding night is quite different than it was portrayed in the books. Again, indeed, we had an original pilot where the part of Daenerys was recast, and what we filmed the first time, when Tamzin Merchant was playing the role, it was much more true to the books. It was the scene as written in the books. So that got changed between the original pilot and the later pilot. You’d have to talk to David and Dan about that.

This is what bothers him. It was very important to him that his 13 year old character got wet for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
He didn't say that.

I mean, he did imply that there are a few twists and turns that he will write (allegedly) that the show can't do for a variety of reasons but in general he said that he is not going to change major plot lines just because their conclusions have been revealed by the show.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Is it out yet

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

pakman posted:

Is it out yet

It's out and it glistens wetly.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

pakman posted:

Is it out yet

In one hour! http://grrm.livejournal.com/543080.html

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
If you are doing a rereading are there any characters you can skip without it ruining the story beats? Anything with Dany seems like you fan skip it, since she is across the sea doing her own thing away from the main characters. Are there any others? Bran is the only other one that comes immediately to mind, but I don't think you can really avoid him until he goes off on his journey to the tree...

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 13, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Anything in Dorne. Probably the iron islands stuff in feast - remember Euron wins, Asha flees, Victarion pretends to serve him and heads for Dany. (Euron might well end up a major villain so it might be worth reading stuff about him but I dunno.)

There's probably some skippable brienne stuff in there but honestly I like those sections, especially the part with septon meribald. Nimble dick is the weakest there for sure.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Quentyn is completely and 100% skippable.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Skip nothing if you want a bunch of nice vignettes about a world in crisis.
Skip everything if you only want to read things that are relevant to the plot.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Max posted:

Quentyn is completely and 100% skippable.

Pretty much.

"Once upon a time there was an extremely boring guy. He was kind of ugly and he never did or said anything cool. He was part of his dad's awesome revenge plan, but it fell apart because the lady who he was supposed to marry said 'no-thanks' because of the fact that he was so boring and ugly. Then he got killed by a dragon.

The End"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

pidan posted:

Skip nothing if you want a bunch of nice vignettes about a world in crisis.
Skip everything if you only want to read things that are relevant to the plot.

ya every chapter is good and relevant to the state of the world at that moment in time

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
You could skip all the Bran chapters from aCoK on.

You could probably skip the Arya chapters from aCoK on too, really. Except these are actually good.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Fhate posted:

"Once upon a time there was an extremely boring guy. He was kind of ugly and he never did or said anything cool. He was part of his dad's awesome revenge plan, but it fell apart because the lady who he was supposed to marry said 'no-thanks' because of the fact that he was so boring and ugly. Then he got killed by a dragon.

The End"

Quentin is alive, Preston Jacobs said so.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Fhate posted:

Pretty much.

The End"

But but but the sun rose in the west and set in the east!

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Mad Hamish posted:

But but but the sun rose in the west and set in the east!

:aaaaa:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The son? Quintynn? was raised in the west and died in the east? Did I get it yet?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
And his sigil is a sun with a spear and he comes from Sunspear in the land of Dawn.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Great Sept is definitely blowing up in the books right

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Great Sept is definitely blowing up in the books right

Not if it didn't happen already.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

They explicitly removed all the dragonfire from under the great sept in the book

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Daius posted:

They explicitly removed all the dragonfire from under the great sept in the book

The fact that there's any reference to wildfire under the sept at all in the books makes it very suspicious.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The fact that there's any reference to wildfire under the sept at all in the books makes it very suspicious.

Not even in connection with Mad King Aerys' plot to blow up the city during the rebellion?

A Literal Crazy Person posted:

"The traitors want my city, but I’ll give them naught but ashes. Let Robert be king over charred bones and cooked meat."

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mad Hamish posted:

Not even in connection with Mad King Aerys' plot to blow up the city during the rebellion?

I thought Tyrion used his big brains to get the wildfire pyro dudes to give up all the locations of the stuff for the battle of blackwater bay

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Cersei becoming the next Aerys does seem like something she could do long-term. Especially given how she reacted to burning down the Tower of the Hand.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
She'll set off a wildfire explosion in the city but I don't know if it'll be the Sept

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Cersei becoming the next Aerys does seem like something she could do long-term. Especially given how she reacted to burning down the Tower of the Hand.

Right and then Jaime gets to kill her to save the city just like he did to aerys and it's a fitting end to his arc with cersei and makes him a kinslayer instead of just a kingslayer and his is the valonqar and once again he does the right thing and ends up reviled for it, so thematic much motif ahhhh.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

And she is Aerys daughter, of course. Born out of the rape of Joanna Lannister.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Sup.

Anything to report in here?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Fog Tripper posted:

Sup.

Every character in the books is a secret rape baby of someone else. Also book not out.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

Sup.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/543080.html

Head to your book store and get in line.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Right and then Jaime gets to kill her to save the city just like he did to aerys and it's a fitting end to his arc with cersei and makes him a kinslayer instead of just a kingslayer and his is the valonqar and once again he does the right thing and ends up reviled for it, so thematic much motif ahhhh.

This actually would own though. With more brooding and neeps in the actual book, of course.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

SaviourX posted:

This actually would own though. With more brooding and neeps in the actual book, of course.

Yeah I mean, it's pretty good, I just would have preferred reading it than inferring it from reading a decade's worth of fan overanalysis.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

SaviourX posted:

What blows is the internet has had a lot of time to speculate on what happens and the show has spoiled a fair amount. Even if Martin manages to finish the thing, a lot of people will already have heard it, or some version of it, before. Hell, I've more than once come across someone saying "Hodor" meant "hold the door" -- a take on the racist joke "What has six legs and says 'ho de do ho de do" (three black guys calling for an elevator). The only people able to judge ASOIAF impartially are those who have never seen the show and come to the series after it is completed.

I wonder if the hobbyist's craft will stand the test of time.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I've never seen the show and managed to keep from hearing anything about it. Not that i tried to not hear anything, but i don't know or talk to anyone that has either.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
E: whoops

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 15, 2017

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The wildfire explosion of the Tower of the Hand set off a wildfire explosion in her pants.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mad Hamish posted:

The wildfire explosion of the Tower of the Hand set off a wildfire explosion in her pants.

Same.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SaviourX posted:

only if he loses his other hand too.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

He's said he would write things different in the books from what the show has done just for the sake of it.

I mean, yes, lol at him writing anything, but of course he's a contrarian bitch about it.

You know - thinking about this. I'll bet at the end of the day he will be glad they finished the show. He won't ever admit it, but it's like when you have a project for the sciencefair due the next day - and your dad comes in and builds you small electronic railgun that shoots BB's. Sure, everyone knows he built it, and it is embarrassing you didn't do it yourself - but at least it got done. And you tell yourself "well I could have done this", except I would have made it shoot nails instead of BB's which is waaaaay cooler.

He might bitch and moan, but at the end of the day - he has a loving script done for the rest of the book. He can jerk off writing stuff like this: http://www.georgerrmartin.com/excerpt-from-the-winds-of-winter/

And the loving pressure is OFF! He has to get one more book out in the next 2 years, which is completely doable - and after that the HBO pressure is gone, done! He can spend the rest of his life working on this, like an old man dribbling piss into the toilet. Bitching and moaning the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

You took me there.