Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

Leperflesh posted:

You will probably be OK. Lost bees are close enough to the new hive location to probably be able to smell it.

When I got home around 5 there were a bunch circling the old location but it now it is 8:30 here and there are only a few dozen in the old location, less than 30 it looks. So that makes me feel better. The longer it is in the new location the more they will acclimate.

Also I thought I was all done with moving stinging insects but now I have to destroy a wasp nest under my deck.

Opera Bitch fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Opera Bitch posted:

When I got home around 5 there were a bunch circling the old location but it now it is 8:30 here and there are only a few dozen in the old location, less than 30 it looks. So that makes me feel better. The longer it is in the new location the more they will acclimate.

Also I thought I was all done with moving stinging insects but now I have to destroy a wasp nest under my deck.

Just fill a spray bottle with very soapy water and spray it down. Kills all insects on contact and simultaneously inhibits their ability to fly. (The soap acts as a surfactant allowing the water to smother their breathing holes.)

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Well checked in on the hives and things are going well. Lots of brood in various stages of development and lots of eggs. They seem to have lots of stores and the bigger hive is starting to fill combs with honey.

Spotted the queen in the second hive (this is the swarm that came from a log) she is busy laying eggs. These bees seem to be deetermined to make as many swarms as possible. There were two capped queen cells and one empty one.

I cut those off and they didn't seem to care. Going to have to keep a close eye on them. Not a very big swarm to begin with, I don't need half of them flying off only for all of them to die in the winter.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
My whole yard is infested with weeds, I'm going to spray round up on the whole thing. The easiest way to take care of all the weed roots is probably to till the yard afterwards yes?

Also how long before I should till? I am getting rid of the whole yard, not just the weeds. Although it is 95% weeds.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 5, 2017

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

lol internet. posted:

My whole yard is infested with weeds, I'm going to spray round up on the whole thing. The easiest way to take care of all the weed roots is probably to till the yard afterwards yes?

Also how long before I should till? I am getting rid of the whole yard, not just the weeds. Although it is 95% weeds.

I don't have much experience with bees, but maybe the veteran beekeepers can teach you how to get them to sting the weeds to death?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Any other southern New England beekeepers here?

I've noticed daily battles between my backyard hives and what I presume are scouts from other colonies. So far, my hives have successfully fought off the interlopers. Hell, there were two dead bees in front of one of the hives yesterday. I'm wondering if there's a dearth going on now that we're in early July. I still see stuff blooming, and I see my girls bringing in pollen for new brood, so I'm not sure. Maybe it's because I'm using boardman feeders? This is the first time I've made use of them.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Stitecin posted:

I don't have much experience with bees, but maybe the veteran beekeepers can teach you how to get them to sting the weeds to death?

drat wrong thread. Sorry

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Stitecin posted:

If someone could train Spanish slugs to eat dandelions and thistles then we could turn them from a pest to a garden helper.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Forest fire season here (gently caress you, independence day) and our little valley is once again full of light smoke/haze. I am wondering if it is affecting my hive at all.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Fog Tripper posted:

Forest fire season here (gently caress you, independence day) and our little valley is once again full of light smoke/haze. I am wondering if it is affecting my hive at all.

Smoke makes them eat honey doesn't it?

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

So I am thinking I am probably getting rid of the hive. My husband hasn't been stung since we moved it but there are still a lot of bees hanging around the house and pool, so much that he isn't able to hang out outside for long. Each time he has been stung it has been out of nowhere and it isn't really worth the anxiety over WHEN is he going to get stung any more. I wish we would have known he was allergic before we invested sooooo much money in everything.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Opera Bitch posted:

So I am thinking I am probably getting rid of the hive. My husband hasn't been stung since we moved it but there are still a lot of bees hanging around the house and pool, so much that he isn't able to hang out outside for long. Each time he has been stung it has been out of nowhere and it isn't really worth the anxiety over WHEN is he going to get stung any more. I wish we would have known he was allergic before we invested sooooo much money in everything.

Do they have access to water? It might be they are drinking from the pool or leaking drains/taps?

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Spookydonut posted:

Do they have access to water? It might be they are drinking from the pool or leaking drains/taps?

We have a shallow birdbath next to them and a reservoir 50 ft away. There are some bees that go to the pool but not as many as we expected. But all it takes sadly is one sting to make him swell and itch like mad and make working very uncomfortable.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Not having a hive will likely not remove bees from your yard. Bees are pretty much everywhere.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Opera Bitch posted:

This is probably the right thing to do. I am sorry about the bees though :(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There is a cool new beekeeping thread in, of all places, TFR: Bees: They're Nature's Bullets.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

There is a cool new beekeeping thread in, of all places, TFR: Bees: They're Nature's Bullets.

I am cross pollinating in here.

I am sorry to hear of the removal of a hive but I support you in this action.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Leperflesh posted:

What do you mean "of all places"?

Fight me

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Fog Tripper posted:

Fight me

We don't believe in violence here and we don't have any guns but we will fight TFR with a wicked drum solo and some angry blog posts that will disarm and subdue them.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Catberry posted:

We don't believe in violence here and we don't have any guns but we will fight TFR with a wicked drum solo and some angry blog posts that will disarm and subdue them.

As part of the "we", you are incorrect.

Guns are cool.
Bees are cool.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

I really need to get back in touch with my beekeeping contact to get involved this summer.

I did this while drunk and now I'm going to a honeybee class tonight and I'm super excited!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I have a gun, even though I'm not a TFR poster. I'm sure plenty of DIY hobbiests do.

Fog Tripper posted:

Fight me

What is unexpected is bees in TFR because you know, bees aren't guns? I would prefer not to fight you, friend. I meant no disparagement of your subforum, only that it was an odd place to find a bee thread.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Fog Tripper posted:

As part of the "we", you are incorrect.

Guns are cool.
Bees are cool.

Will science one day develop bees with miniguns for stingers? Only time will tell.

FuzzyBuddha
Dec 7, 2003

Haven't posted in a while 'cause life has been crazy. But my wife and I are doing bees again this summer. Started with four hives, now down to three. Not exactly cure what happened. In one of the hives, the bees never made an attempt to release the queen. I had to manually release her. Checked on the hive again the next day and could not locate the queen. Hive dwindled pretty rapidly. A couple of attempts to bolster the hive with frames from a good hive with larva did nothing. :(

Got bored and put up a beecam in one of the top bars, but the focus on the cheap assed camera sucks. Still it was a fun project that I detail on my poorly updated blog.

FuzzyBuddha fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 12, 2017

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Catberry posted:

Will science one day develop bees with miniguns for stingers? Only time will tell.

Those would be the cunts with wings, the common hornet-wasp.
Speaking of which I have noticed a bunch this year and have been trying to surgically strike their nests with wasp spray while avoiding anything I suspect a bee would like to visit.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

I posted:

lovely days at the hive. 3 queens gone, gotta install a nuc, etc

Far better days at the hive! So I ended up asking my old timer beek about his reasoning for not just doing the newspaper method, and he laughed and told me that was probably a better solution that simply didn't occur to him as he was overthinking it. So that's what I did. The nuc ended up not being very big- not much in the way of drawn comb, and just shy of two frames of eggs and brood. Still better than zero, though, and all I really needed was a queen and nurse bees anyhow. Installation went well, very few dead bees, but did not spy the new queen. Split my two full honey supers between the existing hive and the nuc box to ensure everybody had food if poo poo hit the fan, spread the newspaper between, and waited. Opened it back up today for the first time since- it's been 12 days. The newspaper was completely gone, and there was only about half a frame of capped brood in the nuc box, no eggs or larvae. All the frames were drawn, though. The queen thankfully has moved to her rightful home in the original bottom two boxes and is laying like a champ there. Tons of eggs and larvae, super tight pattern, and I spied the lady going about her business. She is loving ENORMOUS, easily the biggest queen I have ever seen. Unfortunately my poo poo rear end Chinese GoPro knockoff decided to die for no reason just as I was getting to her frame, so I didn't get any shots of her. Her big butt will hard to miss in the future, though.

Bees all were super calm again, far less runny. Fuckin relieved.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -