Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Giant Robo is good, but it's only kind of mecha.

So's Patlabor and arguably Gundam 0080.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If we start quibbling over how Mecha a given show is then we may as well declare Transformers as the only true Mecha show

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if that is what you wish...

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Shh! You'll summon the transformer fans. They're even worse than anime fans!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

If we start quibbling over how Mecha a given show is then we may as well declare Transformers as the only true Mecha show

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Pavlov posted:

Shh! You'll summon the transformer fans. They're even worse than anime fans!

If you like anime AND Transformers, I would highly recommend Transformers Victory. It's mostly standalone from the other shows, lots of fun, and has well-animated giant robot fights. :D

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How well does this list reflect what you guys consider good animes?

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/01/27/tiger-bunny-currently-leads-nhks-top-100-anime-online-poll

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 19, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I truly love Code Geass with all my heart but I would never, ever deign to call it the fifth best anime ever.

The rest of that list is pretty weird too.

E: The second season is even separate and makes number 14 despite being a massive clusterfuck. I guess Japan really, really likes Code Geass for some reason.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Shortest Path posted:

I truly love Code Geass with all my heart but I would never, ever deign to call it the fifth best anime ever.

The rest of that list is pretty weird too.

E: The second season is even separate and makes number 14 despite being a massive clusterfuck. I guess Japan really, really likes Code Geass for some reason.

it gay

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Top 100 anime....but it only lists the top 50!?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

GorfZaplen posted:

Top 100 anime....but it only lists the top 50!?

The Crunchyroll article is fail and mistranslates the split gender lists even. This is the whole list btw which goes to like 400: http://www.nhk.or.jp/anime/anime100/ani_report/index.html

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

actual rankings for the ladies:
1) Tiger & Bunny
2) Tiger & Bunny The Rising
3) Tiger & Bunny The Beginning
4) Osomatsu-san
5) Joker Game
6) Gintama
7) Card Captor Sakura
8) Code Geass
9) Code Geass R2
10) Haikyuu

and for the gents:
1) Madoka Magica
2) Love Live! S1
3) Love Live! S2
4) Love Live! The School Idol Movie
5) Is the Order a Rabbit?
6) Legend of the Galactic Heroes
7) Girld und Panzer
8) Mobile Suit Gundam
9) Evangelion
10) Gode Geass

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I can't believe the sunrise mecha show that's kept getting spinoffs and a new season is popular

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
If I just choose an anime in the top 20 of this list, am I getting something good? Madoka being so high gives me hope

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

If I just choose an anime in the top 20 of this list, am I getting something good? Madoka being so high gives me hope

I would say all of them are good except Gundam, but some people like that.

E: Also I really don't like Attack on Titan but you might love it so give that a shot too.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Vision of Escaflowne, it's fantasy mecha though, and not scifi.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Galvanik posted:

Vision of Escaflowne, it's fantasy mecha though, and not scifi.

It also has alot of Shoujo notes, so be aware of that. It's still one of the best anime series I've watched though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

This list isn't nearly as stupid as I thought it would be but, I mean, it's still a list.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

I'm no anime expert but it's pretty hosed up that One Punch Man isn't there.

It might just be that One Punch Man is so strong people don't recognize it's true power.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

quote:

Female top 10:
1. "Tiger & Bunny"
2. "Cardcaptor Sakura"
3. "Osomatsu-san"
4. "Joker Game"
5. "Love Live! The School Idol Movie"

That's a little surprising, I always considered all the idol stuff more of a thing aimed at men.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

That's a little surprising, I always considered all the idol stuff more of a thing aimed at men.

Yes, that list was mistranslated and misordered. I quoted the correct translations above.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Though Love Live is pretty popular among women. Less so other idol franchises.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah it's not a huge chunk but i remember people saying women make up about 30% of the fanbase

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
My main takeaway from that article is men don't appreciate Psycho-Pass enough and women don't appreciate Revolutionary Girl Utena enough.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ I've always felt Psycho-pass was a bit overrated. It was a very solid, above-average show, but there's no way I'd rank it among the top shows ever.

Strange Quark posted:

Yes, that list was mistranslated and misordered. I quoted the correct translations above.

Ah, not sure how I missed that.

That list makes more sense. I'm not sure why I never considered the whole "pretty boys/men" angle of Tiger & Bunny and Joker Game as something that would make them appeal to women. It's funny how the anime/manga industry has learned in the last couple decades that adding pretty boys to otherwise shounen shows also gives them appeal with women (this doesn't apply to the two series I just mentioned, but it does for stuff like Haikyuu).

I'm disturbed that something like "Gochuumon wa usagi desu ka" was ranked above LoGH and Evangelion.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

I'm disturbed that something like "Gochuumon wa usagi desu ka" was ranked above LoGH and Evangelion.

But that's correct...

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Strange Quark posted:

Watch Majestic Prince.

Gave this one a shot. I really do not like this show, sorry. Maybe it gets better later, but there's just nothing grabbing me.

(It might just be that I hate the art design. Those are some anime faces, all right. The mecha parts look fine, but those characters are gross.)

How do you actually watch Patlabor? Is it available for streaming anywhere? I have crunchyroll, amazon, netflix.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So I tried watching a couple of episodes of Tiger and Bunny because it was the most popular anime of all time according to that list. I sort of bounced off of it. I know the corporate aspect of this super hero world is supposed to be satire, but something about the premise didn't hook me and the main character is annoying. Also the animation bugs me in a way that I find hard to describe. I guess I should give it a bit more of a shot. What episode would you guys say if I don't like it by I should stop?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

So I tried watching a couple of episodes of Tiger and Bunny because it was the most popular anime of all time according to that list. I sort of bounced off of it. I know the corporate aspect of this super hero world is supposed to be satire, but something about the premise didn't hook me and the main character is annoying. Also the animation bugs me in a way that I find hard to describe. I guess I should give it a bit more of a shot. What episode would you guys say if I don't like it by I should stop?

It's quite good, but it's not "blow you away" in any fashion, just really solid through with great characters. WRT the animation it's more realistic and has a few bumps in the road, so not like generic anime or over the top stuff like TTGL.

It's basically the best television / movie xmen. If you approach it from that angle it works very well. The corporate stuff is very interesting but it quite core to it so if that bugs you too much you probably wont sink into it.

Tiger is amazing so if you thought he was annoying then you are in for a rough road. 'bunny' is sorta supposed to be irritating and standoffish and the show is very much him developing as a person.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Eela6 posted:

How do you actually watch Patlabor? Is it available for streaming anywhere? I have crunchyroll, amazon, netflix.

It's apparently streaming on the anime network (as are the movies and TV), but I may have watched it less legitimately. You can also just buy discs.

Actually, I think I watched the OVAs streaming on some other legit site that no longer has them, which sucks.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I just watched madoka magic, I think I've heard that there's a movie(s) and/or another show called rebellion? Are they worth seeing if I liked the original show?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Splode posted:

I just watched madoka magic, I think I've heard that there's a movie(s) and/or another show called rebellion? Are they worth seeing if I liked the original show?

As I understand it, they make things a LOT sadder.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Splode posted:

It's a beautiful story about not giving up on being with the one you love.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

StrixNebulosa posted:

As I understand it, they make things a LOT sadder.

no, that's not exactly it. watch rebellion

it leaves the story somewhere different, but i wouldn't even describe it as strictly being sadder considering the ending of the series was already really depressing and kind of messed up. just kind of messed up in a different way

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 20, 2017

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How is the end of rebellion sadder? If anything it puts a huge hopeful spin on the story.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I suppose it depends on who you're rooting for, and whose good you prioritize.

It's a good movie.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
So after seeing the TV show, do I skip the first two movies and watch rebellion? The first two films are recaps, right?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yep

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
They're recaps with some new animation & backgrounds, and some cuts that reshape the focus of things a bit. If you're fresh off the show, skip'em, but if it's been a while, they're nice.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They have nicer backgrounds but otherwise are just the tv series but a bit less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

ufarn posted:

Kuromukuro on Netflix is fantastic.

I've been checking this out. I'm liking it but not loving it. I like the slice-of-life bits where Konnosuke adjusts to modern life, and there's a cool sense of physicality to the mech fights I really enjoy. The mechs trip each other and bodyslam each other: you can 'feel' the mechs' centers of gravity shifting, which is really neat and surprisingly realistic.

I mean, it's giant robots fighting with swords like humans, but they it's 'realistic' human sword fighting. The whole thing is actually a lot more subdued than I expected, which is fun in it's own way!

I don't really love the characters, though.