Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Client is using an overworked RDS host (pre RemoteFX) to view full-screen video, which lags to poo poo.

"OUR NETWORK IS SO BAD WHY AREN'T YOU FIXING IT :gonk:".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

poo poo not pissing me off: after years of dealing with legacy codebases in PHP and Perl, I finally got to work on a project with our non-legacy team. Fully automated continuous integration, builds that automatically kick back on failed BDD or insufficient unit test coverage, development sandboxes that can be spun up and down in AWS with two commands. :syoon:

Question: what's up with BDD? Is it useful? One of my former companies implemented BDD, but either they were doing it wrong or the thing is just a pile of poo poo, but it didn't look useful at all. At least that implementation was just purely a waste of time. Never seen anyone doing BDD, it was the only time in my life that I got to hear about it and experience it.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Volguus posted:

Question: what's up with BDD? Is it useful? One of my former companies implemented BDD, but either they were doing it wrong or the thing is just a pile of poo poo, but it didn't look useful at all. At least that implementation was just purely a waste of time. Never seen anyone doing BDD, it was the only time in my life that I got to hear about it and experience it.

BDD can be nice, or it can be cargo culted into oblivion. Sensible BDD simply means having tests around use cases driving product acceptance, and making sure those tests are there before code is merged.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

We need a much better off boarding process:

Two weeks ago department manager calls me says kill access for one of his employees because he no showed for the 5th time in a month. This is rather standard to just be a phone call so I do it. This was a Friday, manager went on vacation and didn't tell the guy he was let go, didn't tell anyone but me. He also is not able to be contacted at all while on vacation. Last Monday user requests access, I find this odd, go to HR and the CFO, who is in charge of both myself and the other manager. I apparently must have misunderstood so accounts get activated and bluffed about bad password attempts.

The manager came back from vacation today, and was pretty upset that the guy was still here. User also didn't show up yesterday but did today. HR failed to notice that the manager had removed the user from the payroll software before leaving.

I've floated the form gets filled out emailed to a mailing list, or given to HR who sends it out, you know sensible things. Everyone here loves to be cloak and dagger and not say anything until the last minute and tell different departments at different times so it'll never happen.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
loving lol at firing somebody without telling upper management, HR, or even the guy being fired

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I think I saw this in a movie once.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Super Soaker Party! posted:

I was under the impression, I think from people in these very threads, that PRTG was not so great at resource management of itself, meaning once it got above a couple hundred sensors it was really slow to update etc. Is that not the case, or have they since fixed any performance issues?

I have no direct experience with it, so just inquiring since it seemed to be a really good solution the last time the whole monitoring debate came up, but then a couple people chimed in to say that it was great for 500 sensors or fewer and not so great above that.

We're running PRTG in an MSP environment, 2 core servers, 39 probes (one probe for each customer as the probe server sits inside their environment. We stick the probe on their "management" box with all the other crap on there) and 6000 sensors with 26000 channels. Based on our intervals which are pretty drat fast for most things, it said it did 8.1 million checks yesterday. If you're looking at the page with every single device on it'll take 10-15 seconds to load, but if you're drilling down into 1 device or customer, its fast.

I am a lover of PRTG.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

loving lol at firing somebody without telling upper management, HR, or even the guy being fired

No, I don't think you understand. I fixed the glitch. Welp, time to go on vacation

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Today two separate people have spelled my name incorrectly in email replies where my name is part of my signature. It's a common name, and uses the common spelling. There's a variant that people think is common, but in my entire life I've only met one person using that variant.

It pisses me off that they can't look down to spell my name correctly, and I can't graciously correct them, because no matter what it comes off as a dick move. It just hits me as a hugely disrespectful action. Almost as bad as the people on the phone who call me by my co-worker's name just because it starts with the same letter.

My firstname/lastname are very common names, infact my firstname is most of my username here, my lastname has a S on the end of it. Our entire enterprise is firstname.lastname@companyname

I have had multiple people throughout the enterprise email me and start the email saying

Hello lastname minus the S that should be there.

Why they do this I have no idea, I've corrected multiple people that lastname minus the S is neither my first name nor my last name.

I sign my emails

Thanks firstname

My signature is firstname lastname

Annoys me to no end.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I don't know how many times I've asked the HR person to confirm a person's preferred name and spelling and they've been wrong. We have an eastern European fellow joining us with a complicated last name and I just know she's hosed it up again.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Because of the region in which I work, there are a ton of Russian sounding family names. Everyone triple checks spelling of names here.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Out system is set up so users open their own ticket to have an account made, so they get to choose spelling.

Of course by that point they're already in the HR system and have an employee badge but that's way outside my kingdom.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Peachfart posted:

My company makes printers and MFP's. In our print driver, there is a 'Labels' setting under media type. However, it does nothing. It is a preset that you can setup on the copier for handling media, but no one ever does. The correct setting for labels is 'Thick 2', not 'Label'. This is never explained anywhere and both settings are in the same drop down list.

Why yes, I am :yotj: soon, why do you ask?

Goddamnit. That's loving irresponsible as hell. And it must keep the customers' support teams busy peeling labels out of the guts of the machine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't know how many times I've asked the HR person to confirm a person's preferred name and spelling and they've been wrong. We have an eastern European fellow joining us with a complicated last name and I just know she's hosed it up again.

Our people just the the name loving wrong. Mcintyre instead of McDonald or William instead of Walter

After 45 minute intro to your computer, phone, voicemail, company policy, email, blah blah

"My name isn't William, it's Walter"

gently caress YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Ahhhhhhh! Yes the HR documentation comes in to set up someone's account and everything goes hunky dory... until the person goes to get started and comes straight to you and asks "I know my name is Jim Bob but could I have all my accounts and E-mail read as Jazz Bob instead?"

What the fuuuuck? No go and ask your manager about it, It would be easier to explain by listing their names, but it seems these kind of people have a legal name and another name they get everyone to call them by.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

That first therapist didn't call me back so I took time out this morning for a fresh search and have messaged three others. All have a social worker certification, two are Phds and one has an MA.

My recruiter emailed me back so I sent off my updated resume and am revising all my other online profiles.

Still doing the busy work the consultant gave me, making a pretty PowerPoint at his request to try and package all the big initiatives, like document management, O365/Exchange Online, that sort of thing. It's meant for the CEO so I have to dumb it down and concentrate it as much as possible. I once made one for him that literally had star ratings next to recommendations in case thinking and asking questions was too drat hard for him.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Super Slash posted:

Ahhhhhhh! Yes the HR documentation comes in to set up someone's account and everything goes hunky dory... until the person goes to get started and comes straight to you and asks "I know my name is Jim Bob but could I have all my accounts and E-mail read as Jazz Bob instead?"

What the fuuuuck? No go and ask your manager about it, It would be easier to explain by listing their names, but it seems these kind of people have a legal name and another name they get everyone to call them by.

Our new hcm tool has a "preferred name" field just for this situation.

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.

Ahdinko posted:

We're running PRTG in an MSP environment, 2 core servers, 39 probes (one probe for each customer as the probe server sits inside their environment. We stick the probe on their "management" box with all the other crap on there) and 6000 sensors with 26000 channels. Based on our intervals which are pretty drat fast for most things, it said it did 8.1 million checks yesterday. If you're looking at the page with every single device on it'll take 10-15 seconds to load, but if you're drilling down into 1 device or customer, its fast.

I am a lover of PRTG.
sup PRTG buddy

Just to compare, we're a single org but with a couple hundred remote sites. 1 core server, 134 probes (2 of which handle 60% of the sensors), 6000 sensors, 40k channels. But our intervals are way lower and yesterday we only had 190k checks. Our sensors are very WMI-heavy and I could easily bring the 2 main probes to their knees by cranking the intervals. A good PRTG experience depends a lot on how it's been configured.

We also have SCOM for AD/Exchange/Sharepoint monitoring, and it's just the worst to tune and maintain. So bad that we redundantly monitor the same crap in PRTG because all the SCOM notifications were getting ignored. A lot of it isn't even SCOM's fault because it's relying on the app's built-in Health Rollups which will constantly lose their poo poo over nothing, but SCOM is awful in a million other ways. gently caress SCOM.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I use Graylog and Elastic Beats to do my monitoring because I hate myself and free time.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Super Slash posted:

Wouldn't it be fairly easy to setup an alias?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I have a therapist appointment for next Wednesday. :supaburn:

It's at 2pm and within walking distance of work. Hope I don't come back out of sorts.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Peachfart posted:

Wouldn't it be fairly easy to setup an alias?

I'm pretty sure that's what I ended up doing at the time, it's more the point of I'm not going to mess around with different names on multiple different systems and records unless their personnel file says so. E-mail addressing can be fairly reasonable (like you say it's easy) but you're only getting one user name, nobody ever remembers it anyway despite them being just firstnamelastname.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

The Fool posted:

I use Graylog and Elastic Beats to do my monitoring because I hate myself and free time.

why? wha... :psyboom:

That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Dick Trauma posted:

I have a therapist appointment for next Wednesday. :supaburn:

It's at 2pm and within walking distance of work. Hope I don't come back out of sorts.

you should take the rest of the day off.

Therapy is awesome, but it can bring some nasty poo poo up.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DigitalMocking posted:

why? wha... :psyboom:

That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works.

I was using Graylog as a syslog collector anyway, saw these things and thought to myself, Why not?

I was a huge time sink, and nothing productive came out of it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Even better when management fucks up and someone quits for greener pastures, so they play the petty card of "welp, we'll just walk you out immediately after your resignation".

What happened was a guy I worked closely with was trying to move up to an account management position instead of being system engineer. He was married with 2 kids and all the extra time in the office and after hours work was taking away from his family/free time. Management tells him that sure, they'll promote and move him to the spot he wants, but he'll need to go through some kind of 30 day training beforehand. So he's going through all the training, knocking it out of the park and looking forward to the new role and better set hours where he won't deal with after hours tech stuff.

A week before he finishes the training, company hires an account manager from an external application. Engineer goes to talk about moving, and suddenly "there's no spot open right now and we've already got enough account managers." Understandably frustrated, he puts in his two weeks notice, explains himself and how he's disappointed in going through all this training just to be denied the move. Management decides I guess that he's obviously not happy there, so they walk him out on the spot, take his phone and badge/other work items, and don't even give him a chance to say goodbye to any coworkers. The best part? They told me afterward and I had the lovely task of not only taking on his work, but explaining to clients that he was no longer with the company because management were loving spineless, gutless jackoffs.

Funny part was the person they hired for the account manager spot had never been in that kind of role before and failed miserably, got fired after about 4 months. At the same time, a different account manager quit, and another went on maternity leave, which shorted us on people and pissed a lot of clients off when appointments had to be cancelled or rescheduled. loving idiots.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

The Fool posted:

I was using Graylog as a syslog collector anyway, saw these things and thought to myself, Why not?

I was a huge time sink, and nothing productive came out of it.

I use and like graylog.

For logging.

(but now I need to check those out, dammit.)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DigitalMocking posted:

I use and like graylog.

For logging.

(but now I need to check those out, dammit.)

The biggest hurdle I had was setting up any kind of sane alerting. Deploying the beat agents is pretty straightforward.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

DigitalMocking posted:

Or maybe he will come back so empowered he pisses on the CEO's desk.

Either he gets fired or he claims it as his territory.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Two years ago I got asked if i could cover nights and I declined. 18 months ago, I got told I had to start covering nights 'temporarily'. I started halfheartedly shopping my resume around. Two months ago, a daytime guy retired and they moved the new guy to days. I started interviewing like gangbusters, landed a higher paying day job and they were sincerely shocked when I turned in my notice.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Or maybe he will come back so empowered he pisses on the CEO's desk.

Either he gets fired or he claims it as his territory.

He's sitting at a conference table so I'll need to drink a whole lot of water before I go to that appointment. Wouldn't want to do a halfway job of it. :piss:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dick Trauma posted:

He's sitting at a conference table so I'll need to drink a whole lot of water before I go to that appointment. Wouldn't want to do a halfway job of it. :piss:

Sneak in some red food dye to sprinkle in the puddles and really traumatize him with your dick.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

DigitalMocking posted:

The early sessions (not generally the first three or four) especially.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The early sessions (not generally the first three or four) especially.

The last time I tried this a few years ago the therapist didn't do much digging. It was more like training than anything else. I spent very little time talking.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
The first session or two will probably be pretty light, just a run of the mill normal intake, the kind you would see at a doctors office. The real work will begin at about session 4 or 5 when there's no more small talk and the therapeutic depth charges start going off.

Good luck, DT. I hope you can find a measure of solace. :unsmith:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Volguus posted:

It's a tool, and like any tool it can be implemented usefully or poorly. I personally prefer it because unlike unit-level tests that require implementation-specific knowledge and thus extra dev hours, it's a lot easier* to create a real-language set of BDD feature files that can be visually parsed (and modified) by more people who understand the requirements on a more abstract level (QA, PMs, and sometimes the requesting product team itself). A lot of times, having the discrete layout of "in X specific situation, Y will happen based on the current requirements" is a helpful visual aid.

*ymmv. For new codebases we usually pair with QA during the initial implementation phase, have them write feature files, and then go in and reverse engineer the step implementations from what they consider a good behavior description.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

100% technically inept "engineer" gets to work remotely. 3 hours away. Doesn't have internet at 'the cabin'.

:haw: Hay guys can I use Solidworks remotely if upgrade my Verizon wireless plan?

Good luck!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:laffo:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Phones are down, been 62nd in line since 8:00AM when I got in, vendor says it's been down since 7:00AM it's now 11:00AM.

Account manager gave me the SLA CFO agreed to, 8 business hours in 2 consecutive months. So they can be down 6 months of the year as long as they aren't down 8 hours between 8 and 5 the other half of the year. Account manager is a 3rd party like all account managers, and currently 458th in line on their end.

The site to open a ticket is down, the portal to switch to Cellphone mode is down, the only part of the site that is down is the part proudly claiming 100% up time since if even 1 customer has service they count it as up time. It's goddamn bullshit and they have services across the globe that factor into this so unless it's sabotage they'll never have down time. This doesn't even count because they have clients in the UK that are running fine!

It looked loving bullshit when I first looked at their website and this is why you don't purchase an entire phone system without involving IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Bob Morales posted:

100% technically inept "engineer" gets to work remotely. 3 hours away. Doesn't have internet at 'the cabin'.

:haw: Hay guys can I use Solidworks remotely if upgrade my Verizon wireless plan?

Good luck!

Technically, yes. Technically, many things can be done.