Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Manatee Cannon posted:

goku raises his hand and vegeta sighs

"no, goku, gohan is not your brother"

goku's hand drops back down

goku raises his hand again

"yamcha isn't your brother either"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Did you guys forget the unbeatable double warrior, Bota Magetta?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I mean, the question can boil down to 'would Zenou be interested in seeing this cool new trick' and if the answer is yes then it's allowed.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I want Frost to see Frieza do something really evil and just stop and go "What am I doing with my life?".

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

Killed his brother and his grandfather. Goku is not good with family.

To be fair, Piccolo killed his brother. Goku was just giving him a hug.

Also, killing adoptive family members doesn't count, because adopted kids don't have a real family anyway.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I've started keeping track of days of the week by how many days it is until the next episode of Super

Also the new spoilers for eps 102-104 make the wait even worse

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

To be fair, Piccolo killed his brother. Goku was just giving him a hug.

Hugs must be a hereditary weakness shared by Goku's bloodline.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
That picture is right before goku figures out the anti spongebob mcguffin. Do you even know how goku works idiot?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Spongebob is no match for Arale. One headbutt sends him into space, and then he eventually dehydrates and withers up because he's a sponge. :colbert:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
If they're fighting underwater SpongeBob wins

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

6. They both share the same voice actor in the brazilian dub.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Captain Quack posted:

6. They both share the same voice actor in the brazilian dub.

I'm still getting over how ridiculous goku sounds in the japanese version.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm still getting over how ridiculous goku sounds in the japanese version.

I'm still getting over how he sounds like a generic hero instead of a fight-loving hillbilly in the English version, so... :shrug:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mario Castañeda is the only true Goku, all of the rest are fakes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm still getting over how he sounds like a generic hero instead of a fight-loving hillbilly in the English version, so... :shrug:

That's a dumb thing to care about

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he just sounds like an old lady to me. no clue how he's supposed to sound like a hillbilly just from listening to his japanese va

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

deadly_pudding posted:

you should probably try watching a dubbed episode that was made less than a decade ago

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Augus posted:

you should probably try watching a dubbed episode that was made less than a decade ago

might as well tell him to shove glass into his ears

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The dub is way better tho.

Like Jesus the original is aweful

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Manatee Cannon posted:

he just sounds like an old lady to me. no clue how he's supposed to sound like a hillbilly just from listening to his japanese va

It makes a bit more sense if you account for the fact that, in many ways, he never grew up. He's a big fight-loving baby child.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

deadly_pudding posted:

Far worse than an old woman, definitely.

:rolleye:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have watched too much subbed Dragonball now, I am used to hearing the Japanese attack names. Also I love the way japanese Goku says "Thank you" in english all the time, its adorable.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rutibex posted:

I have watched too much subbed Dragonball now, I am used to hearing the Japanese attack names. Also I love the way japanese Goku says "Thank you" in english all the time, its adorable.

I have noticed that in other anime, is it like a thing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I have noticed that in other anime, is it like a thing?

Sure. It's not even just a thing in Japan. Ever hear someone say sayonara or whatever?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't speak a lick of Japanese, I only watched Z with the Brazilian dub which has a similar direction to the Funimation one, but I get simple and rough from Granny Goku pretty easily just from his inflection. As I said before Granny Goku grew on me, going back to the Brazilian voices for the second movie was kinda weird.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dragon Ball is enjoyable in all of the Romance and Germanic languages IMO.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Raxivace posted:

Dragon Ball is enjoyable in all of the Romance and Germanic languages IMO.

Nothing is "enjoyable" in German, you liar. Their Vegeta is probably dope tho.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dias posted:

German Freeza really sells the whole "space Hitler" thing the best of all versions IMHO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK4lCQG5PCI

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rutibex posted:

German Freeza really sells the whole "space Hitler" thing the best of all versions IMHO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK4lCQG5PCI
Of course German Goku would become more powerful by turning blonde.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Raxivace posted:

Of course German Goku would become more powerful by turning blonde.

In the German dub they become axis allies and besties after this scene.

German Vegeta is less funny than I hoped he would be, except for the original voice which is oh dear it's not great - also apparently German Spongebob, tying yet again DBZ to that cartoon.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Did it turn into the English dub for a second there? It sounded like Sonny Strait saying "Help me!".

On another note, how do other languages handle Goku's name? One thing that was surprising when I first started watching in Japanese was how often people would use the full Son Goku. Hell, Bulma doesn't even call him Goku at all, she always calls him Son-kun. Considering English dropped the Son part entirely, do other languages do the same?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

calling someone by their full name would sound really awkward in english. so would calling someone "son"

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm not sure how you can listen to any dubbed DB material from the last like, 5 years and come to this conclusion.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Momomo posted:

Did it turn into the English dub for a second there? It sounded like Sonny Strait saying "Help me!".

On another note, how do other languages handle Goku's name? One thing that was surprising when I first started watching in Japanese was how often people would use the full Son Goku. Hell, Bulma doesn't even call him Goku at all, she always calls him Son-kun. Considering English dropped the Son part entirely, do other languages do the same?

I would imagine in any language where its typically to refer to people with their first names they just call him Goku.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Momomo posted:

Same with Tien. They always call him Tienshinhan, but the dub seems to reserve the "shinhan" part as his last name or something. I have only heard it once in the dub.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Momomo posted:

I can't remember a single time someone calls him "Son" in the Latin American dub, despite being completely faithful to the original. I don't remember if he's ever called by his full name, but I'm sure he's never called just "Son".

Rutibex posted:

Same with Tien. They always call him Tienshinhan, but the dub seems to reserve the "shinhan" part as his last name or something. I have only heard it once in the dub.

That's a rename. He's Tenshinhan in the original, while the dub made him Tien Shinhan, adding an i that was never there (like Frieza, but pronounced) and breaking up his name for some reason. That said, even in the original (and kept in the Latin American dub) Chiaotzu just calls him "Ten".

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Dias posted:

OH poo poo!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dias posted:

angenehm is enjoyable in german

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Momomo posted:

Come to think of it, has Bulma ever once referred to him as Goku in the entire franchise (in the Japanese version at least)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Momomo posted:

Piccolo also just calls him Son without any honorifics. Although that'd likely be even harder to localize I imagine.