Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Nothing to be mad about, Toradora owns.

Well no, the anime ending is pretty annoying, but that's cause JC Staff was sorta winging it since the LN ending hadn't even been published by the time they were working on the final episode so all they had to go on was a vague summary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Also they turned the lesbian straight? That was weird.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Does a beast girl like Holo also have human ears in addition to the dog ears on her head. I always thought dog/cat-people must look really fuckin' weird with their hair shaved off.

Regarding Toradora, I liked the earlier parts a lot because I feel like, despite Taiga being a tsundere, there was this mutual understanding between her and the protagonist that it was nothing to be taken seriously and that they actually liked spending time together (and the protagonist at least obviously realized she wasn't being serious and would just react like "yeah, yeah" when she acted like that)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Palmtop Tiger is a top tier nickname imo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

IIRC the direct translation for that nickname (tenori tiger) was something more like "hand-riding Tiger" (which I guess conjures to mind pretty much the same image).

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

IIRC the direct translation for that nickname (tenori tiger) was something more like "hand-riding Tiger" (which I guess conjures to mind pretty much the same image).
the localizers did a good job then

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Does a beast girl like Holo also have human ears in addition to the dog ears on her head. I always thought dog/cat-people must look really fuckin' weird with their hair shaved off.

Holo doesn't, but her kid does.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Please Love the Useless Me chapter 30 contains a shocking revelation, read at your own risk.

:same:

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

That was some good meat in this chapter.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I always get excited and post before actually finishing and i just have to say that was a really freakin' great chapter.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

a kitten posted:

Please Love the Useless Me chapter 30 contains a shocking revelation, read at your own risk.

!!!!!!!!

man that was a good chapter

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

a kitten posted:

I kinda dropped this because I didn't care too much about the characters, but this was a good chapter indeed. Lot of meat.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Wait, there's a *sequel* to Please Love Useless Me already?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Looking through mangaupdates, the scanlators are currently at volume 8 out of 10 total, and the sequel series is now two volumes in.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

a kitten posted:

this might be one of the best single chapters of anything ever, holy crap

Compendium posted:

I kinda dropped this because I didn't care too much about the characters

Coaaab posted:

Looking through mangaupdates, the scanlators are currently at volume 8 out of 10 total, and the sequel series is now two volumes in.
well ain't that just fine and dandy!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I never got that far primarily because I was never really that into Lovely Complex so I never had much of an impetus to do so. I didn't really think much of the chemistry between the main leads but I'm sure that got better over time, I only got like 6 or 7 chapters deep.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh absolutely. They definitely act more realistically like friends do than most anime protagonists, that's for sure. Added to the artist's knack for slapstick goofy faces and it's very entertaining. Even the drama is good, culminating in the latest chapter's dramatic reveals, it's an incredible twist.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Yeah, you'd think I'd be more into a protagonist who loves meats and works at a cute cafe; the art is good and the goofy faces are great. IDk, it just hasn't clicked for me. I think the primary reason was because I didn't like the long focus on the conflict with her previous boyfriend, it felt dragged out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't know if you've had a relationship like that or known someone who has, but being taken advantage of and realizing that fact can hang around for a while and drag on you.

They do move on from it and I don't know where you stopped, but I suggest picking it back up. The payoffs for some things during the series have been fantastic.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Nah, I've known someone who has and it was pretty sad especially in how prolonged the relationship was.

That said I'll try rereading it from the beginning to refresh myself.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I wish this Xing arc would hurry up and end so we could get to the claimant war already, it's pretty boring outside of Sailor Uranus and the kitten man.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

gmq posted:

That made me read the entire chapter and it's the cutest thing ever. Is the entire manga like that?

no

It's been circling the drain for the last few years and I'm not sure if it's still based off the comic or that it's now it's own original path. Art is clean but tons of side characters look the same so I have hard time rmb who they are when they do a cameo several vol later on.

I liked My Little Monster over Horimiya since it actually had an ending despite Haru being dumb.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mean you won't see me disputing that My Little Monster/Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun was better, because it was phenomenal for almost its entire run besides an infamously bad scene at the start. It's a manga that was/is better than most talked about here. But it also ended so long ago and despite some of its up/down nature I still enjoy most Horimiya chapters. It is nowhere near Kimi ni Todoke status yet.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only thing I have any issues with are the chapters when Hori gets weird, which is tbh a fairly serious flaw, but one I can overlook generally. I don't really remember who some of the other characters are either but most of the time it doesn't end up mattering that much. The art is consistently very nice and I enjoy having a story that doesn't end when the couple gets together.

I do think there will be a point at which the high school setting is going to be played out and it's going to have to either end or progress past graduation and I dunno if I see that happening, other than maybe in an epilogue. I'd totally read a slice of life with them in college and beyond though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That could actually open some really interesting stories because, IIRC, Miyamura isn't going to college.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

So it's the shoujo cliche chapter of Kaguya.

It's pretty funny how badly Kaguya views Fujiwara.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Serge Painsbourg posted:

So it's the shoujo cliche chapter of Kaguya.

It's pretty funny how badly Kaguya views Fujiwara.

The villain always has strange views regarding the hero.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 6, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

It is nowhere near Kimi ni Todoke status yet.

KnT is a boring manga.

Also, it's always odd when manga characters decide against going to college like what else is there to do after HS? Become NEET? Be a life-long part-timer at 7/11? Run the family business? Join the yakuza?!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

As much as I enjoy Horimiya when it's being sweet and fluffy, I think it's pretty bad at melodrama, and aside from Hori's family and Shindou I can't picture any panels or sequences with the supporting cast. There have been a few times reading the more dramatic chapters where I've thought "man, I should reread Kare Kano." Which for all it's problems at least the melodrama felt like it had some genuine weight and was going somewhere.

The first 40 chapters or so of Horimiya felt like they had direction, but since then it's felt like of a bit of a holding pattern - like the author isn't sure what the drive forward should be.

Also, like a lot of people have said here: there's some Hori weirdness that gets into uncomfortable territory and that's been a real bummer.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Alder posted:

Also, it's always odd when manga characters decide against going to college like what else is there to do after HS? Become NEET? Be a life-long part-timer at 7/11? Run the family business? Join the yakuza?!
lol

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Alder posted:

KnT is a boring manga.

You know this makes me realize I've never really considered or seen anything about tradies in Japan. Like whenever a travel show or whatever shows Japanese tradesmen they're always artisans - guys who do traditional metalworking, woodworking, etc. But what about just regular plumbers and sparkies and stuff?

I hope you'll all preorder my josei series about a sprinkler fitter who falls in love on a commercial construction site.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Hocus Pocus posted:

I hope you'll all preorder my josei series about a sprinkler fitter who falls in love on a commercial construction site.

Sounds like an opportunity for a lot of bulging muscles and bad puns, so I suggest you start writing

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Hocus Pocus posted:

You know this makes me realize I've never really considered or seen anything about tradies in Japan. Like whenever a travel show or whatever shows Japanese tradesmen they're always artisans - guys who do traditional metalworking, woodworking, etc. But what about just regular plumbers and sparkies and stuff?

I don't know about plumbers and the like, but there's a shoujo manga about the daughter of a woodworking family falling in love with one of the apprentices. Lots of actual woodworking depicted as well :v: It's called Kanna to Decchi, and the art/characters are super cute -- unfortunately I don't think it's received translations in a while.

Also yes, more josei with obscure professions please.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

A new Acchi Kocchi chapter :coffeepal:

https://bato.to/reader#1c18e8bc7f127b45

Lotta wordplay as usual lol... Good luck translator

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Hocus Pocus posted:

I read a few cooking manga where the MC takes over the family restaurant/business like in P4 and tradesmen/artisan MC would a nice change from I'm a salaryman/OL theme. I would read it because I'm tired of HS/isekai settings. I have read BL where the MC was a hair stylist, author, bar owner, waiter, baker, pirate, hacker?! or construction worker.

I've been looking for career MC in josei but I've hit up all the listing on MU and I'm read most of them or I hated the art style/plot. The job itself does not have to be super special but it does have to have a point vs generic office worker/teacher. TBH, I'm aware it's not a manga/anime problem alone and reflected in other forms of media too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alder posted:

KnT is a boring manga.

"Run the family business" seems to usually be the answer when the decision is made by someone who could otherwise feasibly go to college and has spent time thinking about what they want to do in the future (i.e. not someone irresponsible or someone without the financial or mental capability to attend).

edit: Either that or they have some specific goal that doesn't require a college education, like starting a restaurant (or other similar small business), etc.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 7, 2017

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Speaking of running the family business...
Kawaii Hito has a new chapter.

MC works at his family's flower shop, he's got a scary face but is actually a cinnamon roll. He starts dating a college student who has a huge crush on him to the absolute confusion of her friends and family.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

"Run the family business" seems to usually be the answer when the decision is made by someone who could otherwise feasibly go to college and has spent time thinking about what they want to do in the future (i.e. not someone irresponsible or someone without the financial or mental capability to attend).

edit: Either that or they have some specific goal that doesn't require a college education, like starting a restaurant (or other similar small business), etc.

Silver Spoon has the MC who decided to create a business plan for his future farm and then decided to go to college because he needed more exp does that count? I see ppl talk about the family business/self-employment in manga but everyone is wayyy too happy to be working 70+ hrs for little to no pay :smith:

Although restaurants do not require a college degree ... you have to find a mentor and work your way from the career ladder. Not to mention I grew up in a service business and it's rough on everyone. I hate to say it but small businesses are a dead-end career path unless they become grow enough to become corp. I would read about it though since it's a nice change from office politics/salaryman life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Everything Burrito posted:

Speaking of running the family business...
Kawaii Hito has a new chapter.

MC works at his family's flower shop, he's got a scary face but is actually a cinnamon roll. He starts dating a college student who has a huge crush on him to the absolute confusion of her friends and family.

... and HIS family, and the customers at the shop, and random passersby, and