Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I hope U6 Namekians are huge assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the U6 Namekians are actually the pirates

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
U6 Namekians are the white Namekians. So, what Rhonne said.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

U7 is Goku's universe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

U7 is Goku's universe.

Yeah but who can keep track of those guys?

It's... what Son Wukong, Bongo, Turtle Master, Shinto, Artificial Humans 19 and 20, Big Green, Goten, Tarble and Cooler, right?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Carlosologist posted:

the U6 Namekians are actually the pirates

Would make sense since Saiyans are the good guys

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Koalas March posted:

I think Seoneru might be a play on Snare. But idk.

I've gotta admit, I never expected you to post in this thread, but I'm glad you did.

"Snare" was my guess, too. :yeah:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

IceBorg posted:

In Portugal it was the same thing, with Goku being Songoku in like a single word.

Piccolo was also called "Corancãozinho de Satan" that translates to something like Satan's Heart. And Buu was renamed to "Buu Buu"
Oh right, this reminded me.
Were the androids named "C17/18/etc..." in all the non-english foreign dubs? Because I recall the first time I saw them being called androids was in English and thinking to myself how that didn't make sense.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Android sounds cooler than Cyborg or god forbid ARTIFICIAL HUMAN.

Also there's no real consistency among Gero's creations besides "looks human-ish".

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Jedah posted:

I've gotta admit, I never expected you to post in this thread, but I'm glad you did.

"Snare" was my guess, too. :yeah:

I loving love Dragon Ball. I almost named my cat (black/siamese) Beerus.

We had a big derail about DBZ in Negrotown back in the day. It was fun. DBZ was a 90s/00s black kid right of passage.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Funky Valentine posted:

Android sounds cooler than Cyborg or god forbid ARTIFICIAL HUMAN.

Also there's no real consistency among Gero's creations besides "looks human-ish".

Sorry ARTIFICIAL HUMAN is actually awesome.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Koalas March posted:

We had a big derail about DBZ in Negrotown back in the day. It was fun. DBZ was a 90s/00s black kid right of passage.

With all respect, why was that?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

Would make sense since Saiyans are the good guys

I figure that's entirely down to frost's pr campaign. frost wants people to think he's a nice guy so he employs the saiyans as a peace keeping force; freeza doesn't give a gently caress so he used saiyans to depopulate planets

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

khwarezm posted:

With all respect, why was that?

Check this out.

quote:

In a 2015 interview with Inverse, Adult Swim creative Jason DeMarco, who worked on Cartoon Network’s Toonami when Dragon Ball Z aired in the ’90s, revealed that the show’s viewer demographics skewed towards young boys of color. When the kids who grew up watching DBZ started building their own musical landscape, they filled it with references to Goku, Vegeta, powering up, going Super Saiyan, and more.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b0oQkjup4Q

Zamasu
Nov 4, 2016

I'm just being self-absorbed.
It doesn't matter if no one's listening.

Koalas March posted:

TIL some ningen out there are actually pretty :cool:

My cat is named Boo, after Majin Buu.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

When I was talking to another black poster (I think it was Fluffdaddy) in Negrotown we got into how the Saiyans were enslaved, and the one who enslaved them ultimately destroyed their planet (or culture) and how important preserving anything "Saiyan" was to Vegeta. That's pretty relatable.

Also everyone knew that while Piccolo may be green.. but he's really black af. Piccolo is the cool uncle at the cookout.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
The whole Super Saiyan shtick, at least at first, is really appealing to teenagers in general and I'd imagine especially so for teenagers with actual societal bullshit to deal with. It's Fight Choreography 101, the good guy is powerless until he taps into righteous anger and then he wins. The Goku vs Frieza fight just does a fuckin' good job with it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Up until when the whole Android and Cell Saga turned everything into an arms race.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

It's kinda odd how DBZ became part of the Latino/African-American youth zeitgeist, I can't even completely explain why that was. I think it was just being at the right place at the right time with like nothing to do, so everyone watched it on TV. Even my best friend's GF, who's as far from a nerd as you can get saw the Ressurrection F poster and recognized Freeza.

This is cute and good.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

This is pretty awesome, but has made me unnervingly aware how big buff-super-Sayian chicks boobs are.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A huge part of it is why there was such a large black audience for 1970s kungfu movies.

Goku is not white, so he becomes more easily relateable

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Dias posted:

It's kinda odd how DBZ became part of the Latino/African-American youth zeitgeist, I can't even completely explain why that was. I think it was just being at the right place at the right time with like nothing to do, so everyone watched it on TV. Even my best friend's GF, who's as far from a nerd as you can get saw the Ressurrection F poster and recognized Freeza.

This is cute and good.

I think i mentioned it before, but yeah, in South America, it was loving huuuuuuuuuge. I remember revisiting, and all of like 8 of my cousins were just completely enthralled watching Saint Seiya, right before DBZ was about to start. Fuckin' Anime man, was crazy

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

HGH posted:

Oh right, this reminded me.
Were the androids named "C17/18/etc..." in all the non-english foreign dubs? Because I recall the first time I saw them being called androids was in English and thinking to myself how that didn't make sense.

They were "Androides" in the Latin American Spanish dub. As they should be.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I think i mentioned it before, but yeah, in South America, it was loving huuuuuuuuuge. I remember revisiting, and all of like 8 of my cousins were just completely enthralled watching Saint Seiya, right before DBZ was about to start. Fuckin' Anime man, was crazy

Yeah, DBZ and Saint Seiya were expected viewing to any male child (and several female ones, and teenagers, and probably more than a few young adults) back then.

Hell, I've seen nothing of English-speaking people about the Netflix Saint Seiya show, but pretty much everyone on my Facebook was posting about it and Twitter was full of Spanish tweets about it the moment it was announced.

Sadly, from what I've seen, at least fans from Argentina are the insufferable "NO BUT DRAGON BALL IS SERIOUS" crowd mostly, so they hate everything BoG and onwards.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly it's pretty cool that Dragon Ball is universal enough that theoretically anyone from any background can find something to relate to in it.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Covok posted:

This is pretty awesome, but has made me unnervingly aware how big buff-super-Sayian chicks boobs are.

It's all muscle.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

there's gonna be a Netflix Saint Seiya? that's wild

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I remember seeing a video about five years ago where Scott McNeill broke an NDA and admitted he'd been doing some recording work with Ocean for a cut of DBZ Kai, but I never heard anything again after that. What's the story behind that decision and what happened to the project? I'm Canadian so I grew up with the Ocean Dub, and though I like Sabat, McNeill and Drummond are the best Piccolo and Vegeta to my ears.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Wow, I didn't even realize that Canada had a different dub. No wonder I thought piccolo and vegeta sounded weird as hell when I rewatched dbz recently lmao

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Edit: Nevermind, this joke can go south quick.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

heeheex2 posted:

Wow, I didn't even realize that Canada had a different dub. No wonder I thought piccolo and vegeta sounded weird as hell when I rewatched dbz recently lmao

That was the thing, because I was watching all this under Cartoon Network. They completely changed everything in the middle of the namek saga, where Recome was done breaking gohan's neck, and cartoon network just kept ending it there and rolling it back to the beginning like four or five loving times until they finally advertised that they were moving on.

When the voice actors, the music, everything changed, it threw me completely off.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I don't get why people have such fond memories of the Ocean dub, I found it hokey growing up and found the funimation dub way better.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

grieving for Gandalf posted:

there's gonna be a Netflix Saint Seiya? that's wild

It's CG, which makes me go eeeeh, but yeah, it's still a Netflix Saint Seiya show (which is going by Knights of the Zodiac so you know it's appealing to Latin America very hard) so we gotta check it out.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Dias posted:

It's CG, which makes me go eeeeh, but yeah, it's still a Netflix Saint Seiya show (which is going by Knights of the Zodiac so you know it's appealing to Latin America very hard) so we gotta check it out.

Actually, Saint Seiya was sold in America as Knights of the Zodiac as well so that might just be its official international name.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Did south anerica also get rhe seagulls as their opening

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm proud of Goku

He trained so hard for so long and with such stubborn will

That he has become a modern born myth and multicultural icon and figure of strength :)

The joke is that SUN WUKONG WINS AGAIN

Covok
May 27, 2013

Black August posted:

I'm proud of Goku

He trained so hard for so long and with such stubborn will

That he has become a modern born myth and multicultural icon and figure of strength :)

The joke is that SUN WUKONG WINS AGAIN

I'd argue that most fans of Dragonball do not know who Sun Wukong is.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Covok posted:

Yes, exactly. It's why he wins again. Nobody connects the dots. Yet notice how in Super, he begins to talk of defying the gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Isn't that like, kind of inescapable if you are even slightly interested in Dragon ball and at the very least read the manga, where the fan column says it is based on this?