Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Testekill posted:

I don't get why people have such fond memories of the Ocean dub, I found it hokey growing up and found the funimation dub way better.

The Funimation dub for a long time was just bad imitations of the Ocean dub, especially Piccolo and Vegeta. Brian Drummond and Scott McNeil for life yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mordaedil posted:

Isn't that like, kind of inescapable if you are even slightly interested in Dragon ball and at the very least read the manga, where the fan column says it is based on this?

Most people slightly interested in Dragon Ball do not read the manga.

hell most people very interested in Dragon Ball do not read the manga.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Zore posted:

Most people slightly interested in Dragon Ball do not read the manga.

hell most people very interested in Dragon Ball do not read the manga.

I can't say the same for DBZ but the Dragon Ball manga has not aged well. I remember liking it a lot as a kid but yikes.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It's all Dragon Ball

also there is a lot of good poo poo in there

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
How many different voice actors has Goku had over the years?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that only the US version has ever had more than one dub attempt at the series so I'm guessing 3 for America (1 for Kid Goku and at least 2 for the Adult Version) and 1 or 2 for everywhere else.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dias posted:

It's CG, which makes me go eeeeh, but yeah, it's still a Netflix Saint Seiya show (which is going by Knights of the Zodiac so you know it's appealing to Latin America very hard) so we gotta check it out.

Are you surprised? The last Saint Seiya game had a bunch of dubs in it, which is very unusual (and greatly appreciated, it just isn't the same without the voices of my childhood, even if some were changed). I wish more franchises took that effort to appeal to us, I'd love it if, say, the next Dragon Ball game just so happened to have Mario Casteñeda and René Garcia (and everyone else) in it...but it won't happen, sigh.

Tae posted:

Did south anerica also get rhe seagulls as their opening

The what? No. We had dubs of every original opening.

Larryb posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that only the US version has ever had more than one dub attempt at the series so I'm guessing 3 for America (1 for Kid Goku and at least 2 for the Adult Version) and 1 or 2 for everywhere else.

Uhh, I'd love to say the same, but doing some research it turns out that our Goku had a ridiculous amount of VAs. Only Mario Castañeda (adult) and Laura Torres (child) count though, everyone else had very minor roles (or was in the horrendous Kai dub).

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Blaze Dragon posted:

The what? No. We had dubs of every original opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuXuu5nsNnY

e; better video

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 5, 2017

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Rhonne posted:

In English alone there's Barbara Goodson, Ian Corlett, Sean Schemmel, whoever he was in big green, and at least a few other people that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Larryb posted:

According to the wiki, Goku has had a ridiculous number of VA's over the years, including(if I'm reading it right) around 23 different people in English alone.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

I Ran is a cool song but c'mon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3e2wwyjUCs

Blaze Dragon posted:

Are you surprised? The last Saint Seiya game had a bunch of dubs in it, which is very unusual (and greatly appreciated, it just isn't the same without the voices of my childhood, even if some were changed). I wish more franchises took that effort to appeal to us, I'd love it if, say, the next Dragon Ball game just so happened to have Mario Casteñeda and René Garcia (and everyone else) in it...but it won't happen, sigh.

I'm still holding on to hope for some different voice options in DBFZ. Arcsys does character announcer voices, and even if it's DLC I could see them putting out language packs, considering how big DBZ was around the world.

Too lazy to look up the quote about Knights of the Zodiac probably being the international name considering the American dub was called that, but I still think they would've rebranded it as just Saint Seiya if Knights of the Zodiac didn't stick everywhere else - which I guess kinda defeats the point of arguing it's not the international name, but it shows how popular that poo poo was outside America.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

:eyepop:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Back on race discussion for one kid I knew growing up it was unfortunately ridiculously relatable that Goku and Vegeta get called monkey as a deregatory remark and then they loving kick rear end and murder the people who say that. For another the fact that gokus kid was miscegenated was a huge deal since that reflected him a million times better than pretty much any other program on tv, and trunks blew his mother loving mind. The name thing where Vegeta refuses to let go of Kakarots "real" name was also a big deal and I remember a huge blow up at school over whether Goku was acting white by not using it.

Plus, seriously, everybody knows piccolo and kami are black dudes.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Barudak posted:

Back on race discussion for one kid I knew growing up it was unfortunately ridiculously relatable that Goku and Vegeta get called monkey as a deregatory remark and then they loving kick rear end and murder the people who say that. For another the fact that gokus kid was miscegenated was a huge deal since that reflected him a million times better than pretty much any other program on tv, and trunks blew his mother loving mind. The name thing where Vegeta refuses to let go of Kakarots "real" name was also a big deal and I remember a huge blow up at school over whether Goku was acting white by not using it.

Plus, seriously, everybody knows piccolo and kami are black dudes.

Oh god, Casius Clay is to Muhammad Ali as Goku is to Kakarot?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Junpei Hyde posted:

In English alone there's Barbara Goodson, Ian Corlett, Sean Schemmel, whoever he was in big green, and at least a few other people that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Wait, Goku was voiced by Rita Repulsa at one point? That owns, she should've kept the job over Schemmel.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Peter kelamis and Kirby morrow were both surprisingly good Gokus.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Koalas March posted:

I can't say the same for DBZ but the Dragon Ball manga has not aged well. I remember liking it a lot as a kid but yikes.

The thing that always gets me with early Dragonball is the Casual sexual jokes. Or just the weird sexual jokes. Like Goku figuring out Bulma doesn't have a penis because, when he tries to lie down on her lap while sleeping, he notices there isn't any bump on her crotch like with his Grandpa. Like that was a thing that happened and you didn't notice it in the United States because it was censored out. Or Bulma accidentally showing her pussy to master roshi. Or Master roshi trying to watch Bulma poop. Like the list goes on and I'm just glad that he stopped with those jokes because they're really weird for a kid's show. Or just in general really.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

The thing that always gets me with early Dragonball is the Casual sexual jokes. Or just the weird sexual jokes. Like Goku figuring out Bulma doesn't have a penis because, when he tries to lie down on her lap while sleeping, he notices there isn't any bump on her crotch like with his Grandpa. Like that was a thing that happened and you didn't notice it in the United States because it was censored out. Or Bulma accidentally showing her pussy to master roshi. Or Master roshi trying to watch Bulma poop. Like the list goes on and I'm just glad that he stopped with those jokes because they're really weird for a kid's show. Or just in general really.

That's Japan.txt right there. Culturally, jokes of that nature are about as weird/offensive as a nose picking or fart joke is here. It's juvenile, but not excessively lewd.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Covok posted:

Someone missed episode 89!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

1980s Japan was a weird, weird place.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

khwarezm posted:

Someone missed episode 89!

No, I saw that. I complained about it here. That scene with Roshi and the witch was...too much. But, the ratio is way down. Roshi has done two or three pervy things since the end of Dragonball.

Burkion posted:

1980s Japan was a weird, weird place.

If other animes are anything to go off, it hasn't changed much in 40 years.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Second broly movie could have done without trunks pissing on his head

Covok
May 27, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Deadzone could have been done without Krillin drinking Gohan's piss.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

deadzone without gohan would be bar none the best dbz movie

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

If other animes are anything to go off, it hasn't changed much in 40 years.
It has

It's gotten a lot more censorship, at least on what is considered kids shows.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

deadzone without gohan would be bar none the best dbz movie

When I was watching the VHS as a kid, I would always fastforward past the musical number.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Burkion posted:

It has

It's gotten a lot more censorship, at least on what is considered kids shows.

How so? In a good or bad way?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean Broly getting pissed on is funny because hey gently caress Broly.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

How so? In a good or bad way?

Japan is falling a bit more in step, sort of, with America as far as kids media goes.

You can see this clearly with DB Super and its violence. Dragon Ball Z could be quite gory and brutal, owing to it being mostly an 80s series. Even Dragon Ball wasn't super adverse to it despite being sillier. Dude got shot in the head.

Super has tamed the violence way down. Almost no one bleeds anymore, even for a gag- the most we got was an ultra cartoonish blood bubble from Roshi that quickly went away. People getting cut in half is now more safe and doesn't have the same kind of impact and detail that it used to.

And sexual humor is MOSTLY kept to just talking about it and implying stuff. You won't see any bare asses or Bulma's tits in Super like you did in Dragon Ball.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Is Saint Seiya good? I remember it from childhood but it never caught on with me, and what should I watch. Age doesn't matter.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Violence is good and people should get their asses beat more in super

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

RBX posted:

Is Saint Seiya good? I remember it from childhood but it never caught on with me, and what should I watch. Age doesn't matter.

I watched a fair bit of the 80s series a while back, it's cheesy fun.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RBX posted:

Saint Seiya is...very varying in quality, to say the least. The beginning is somewhat slow, but then it hits the Gold Saints arc and it becomes amazing. It just hits manliness levels that you don't get from most series, the Gold Saints are giant badasses and most are extremely likable, to the point that they've become basically the face of the franchise in a way Bleach's Shinigami wish they could be, and you just loving feel the time limit as it goes. And, if you're watching the anime, that's followed by likely the single best filler arc in history in Asgard, which is peak Saint Seiya despite not being, or because it isn't, canon, with very likable antagonists and a really neat setting despite not fitting with the Greek mythology the series usually shows.

The problem is that that's as good as it gets. Poseidon feels like filler despite not being filler, and Hades is a mess. Kurumada is not a great writer and it shows.

Beyond the main series, The Lost Canvas is, at least in my opinion, by far the highest point of the franchise. Shiori Teshimine took Kurumada's attempt at a world and made it genuinely great, and her art is amazing too. There's basically very little to dislike in TLC, and it's a much better prequel than the canonical one...plus it actually had a consistent release before it ended, and I think it's even continuing in Gaidens now. Great cast, great art, only a few bad moments. The biggest flaw it has is that the anime adaptation got cancelled early for unknown reasons, although said adaptation also completely changed the artstyle for unknown reasons. Read the manga.

Contrasting to this is the canon prequel, Next Dimension, which shows that Kurumada has very few ideas and will gladly reuse them as many times as he must. It's basically rereading the first series (more specifically, the Gold Saints) but with a nonsensical time travel plot thrown in, as well as being in full colour which caused it to be released whenever Kurumada feels like it.

Beyond this, there's been two non-canon anime, Omega and Soul of Gold. Omega has some very good ideas and neccesary changes to adapt the franchise to the modern age (not being horribly sexist, for one, but also turning the awful Steel Saint concept from the anime into something very interesting) but sadly it's pretty shoddily written most of the time, and the animation tends to be awful, plus the beautiful Cloths that are the selling point of the series were turned into spandex to save money, and then into jewelry-filled messes when they decided to appeal to the original fanbase. As the original, it hits its peak when it gets to the Gold Saints and then just loses all quality, but its worst moments are worse than the original. Not recommended. Seiya's second Sagittarus Cloth is an amazing design though.
Soul of Gold, meanwhile, is the series' usual Gold Saint shilling. That said, it's also Asgard shilling, which can only be a good thing. The animation is variable, but the plot is more interesting than Omega, the characters are likable (being the most popular characters of the franchise and all) and the new Cloths look genuinely great. Plus, it's short, so you can't really go wrong in watching it.

Other manga include Episode Gold and Saintia Sho but I know nothing about those. Most I know is that Episode Gold (and its spinoff, Episode G Assassin) look very ugly.

If I have to say what to watch...watch the original (or read the manga, both have their pros and cons, like the anime removing the ridiculous "EVERYONE IS MITSUMASA KIDO'S SON" bit but also removing important backstory moments) until the Gold Saints are beaten, watch Asgard, then stop. Maybe watch Soul of Gold afterwards. Definitely read The Lost Canvas, in fact, if you'll do only one series, read TLC. Teshimine is the best thing that happened to the franchise.

Avoid the CGI movie like the plague. It was terrible. Whoever decided that a series based on Greek mythology needed a giant robot as the final enemy?

Stairmaster posted:

Violence is good and people should get their asses beat more in super

I fully agree.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Burkion posted:

Japan is falling a bit more in step, sort of, with America as far as kids media goes.

You can see this clearly with DB Super and its violence. Dragon Ball Z could be quite gory and brutal, owing to it being mostly an 80s series. Even Dragon Ball wasn't super adverse to it despite being sillier. Dude got shot in the head.

Super has tamed the violence way down. Almost no one bleeds anymore, even for a gag- the most we got was an ultra cartoonish blood bubble from Roshi that quickly went away. People getting cut in half is now more safe and doesn't have the same kind of impact and detail that it used to.

And sexual humor is MOSTLY kept to just talking about it and implying stuff. You won't see any bare asses or Bulma's tits in Super like you did in Dragon Ball.

idk Zamasu getting bisected from groin to face was pretty brutal, as well Frieza's killing spree against the Universe 9 goons recently. I'd say the only real difference in violence between Z and Super is the level of blood

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'd say read the manga because the original series hasn't really aged gracefully. It's pretty standard 80s shonen fare but it has some cool moments (Ikki is basically Sasuke but good so everything he does is dope), but it's been a WHILE since I watched/read it. Kinda wanna do a re—read now, to be fair.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

multijoe posted:

idk Zamasu getting bisected from groin to face was pretty brutal, as well Frieza's killing spree against the Universe 9 goons recently. I'd say the only real difference in violence between Z and Super is the level of blood

The difference in what happened there, and what happened in Z, is pretty stark though and what I meant by undetailed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJjsAtXh2RE

Zammy is all light instead of blood and ZERO detail on where he got cut, just glowing white. It's super clean and safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPYuLCKOquE&t=145s

That is not the case with this one. It's not detailed in excess like the manga, but it's very bloody.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

This is excellent and everything's on Crunchyroll too. Thanks

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Burkion posted:

The difference in what happened there, and what happened in Z, is pretty stark though and what I meant by undetailed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJjsAtXh2RE

Zammy is all light instead of blood and ZERO detail on where he got cut, just glowing white. It's super clean and safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPYuLCKOquE&t=145s

That is not the case with this one. It's not detailed in excess like the manga, but it's very bloody.

I mean yeah I agree Super definitely had less gore, but I think you're overstating the difference a little, no Dragon Ball villain who's been cut open has ever had a working anatomy and Zamasu and Fireza are no different in that regard.

Also i think you're underselling the violence of Zamasu's death, the dude is screaming in agony and terror as his face is sliced open whilst fully conscious. Even if he doesn't bleed it's still a pretty drat visceral scene. Same goes for the dudes who get their heads blown up by Frieza during his rampage, I'd say if anything despite the lack of gore Super's gotten more creative in its portrayals of violence, it's just learned to skirt around the censors whilst doing it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

I'm just glad that he stopped with those jokes because they're really weird for a kid's show. Or just in general really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Oh man I never thought I would see someone else likes Saint Seyia, good post man I pretty much agree with all this actually.