Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Mr. Mambold posted:

Impressive. Ellum is underrated in this posters opinion. Does the top bow out slightly in the middle (not cupping, dimensionally) or is that my imagination?

Yes, there is a slight radius on the outside edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

mds2 posted:

Yes, there is a slight radius on the outside edge.

That looks fantastic.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hot poo poo! I really like it!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
How much does something like that sell for?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Spookydonut posted:

How much does something like that sell for?

$400 if you buy it from me. The top is Siberian Elm if anyone is wondering.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
This popped up locally... https://imgur.com/gallery/5qfN4

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

mds2 posted:

I sold two pieces of furniture this week :)

Elm and cherry coffee table.

Walnut bench. Pre-finish

how much do those go for?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

mds2 posted:

$400 if you buy it from me.

That seems really cheap. To me.

mds2 posted:

The top is Siberian Elm if anyone is wondering.

So, is that imported or grown locally? It has real nice figuring, I reckon.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

Agreed. Just because it's a coffee table doesn't mean it wasn't a lot of work to make. Value your time!

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

So, is that imported or grown locally? It has real nice figuring, I reckon.

Its local. They had a bunch of white elm at the mill but it looked a lot different than this.

The walnut bench was $300. Don't worry, I made money on both. If you guys know of people willing to pay more, send them my way.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Yeah, I make tables at work that aren't nearly that nice but sell for significantly more than that. That's probably a legit $1k table you've got.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

$400 seems insanely cheap for a hand made solid wood thing but I'm maybe just used to over priced rich people furniture stores.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Javid posted:

Yeah, I make tables at work that aren't nearly that nice but sell for significantly more than that. That's probably a legit $1k table you've got.

I really dont see ever getting those prices around here. It would be nice, but a $1000 table here is a dining room table not a coffee table.

What do you make?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

mds2 posted:

Its local. They had a bunch of white elm at the mill but it looked a lot different than this.

The walnut bench was $300. Don't worry, I made money on both. If you guys know of people willing to pay more, send them my way.

Did you "make money" in the sense of exceeding the cost of materials and depreciation on tools, or did you make money in the sense of beating out even a minimum-wage job? Not that I'd rather go flip burgers than play around in my workshop, but it's important to value your time and expertise.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Did you "make money" in the sense of exceeding the cost of materials and depreciation on tools, or did you make money in the sense of beating out even a minimum-wage job? Not that I'd rather go flip burgers than play around in my workshop, but it's important to value your time and expertise.

Yeah, I've been doing this a while. I dont lose money on jobs.

Edit: not trying to sound like a dick. It's good to be able to discuss pricing with other woodworkers. There is not a market for $1000 coffee tables around here.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

I have a Grizzly "Ultimate" 14" bandsaw with no riser kit; it's served me well and cost more than what you linked. Assuming the saw's in good condition, go for it. Do be aware that they're heavy and hard to move, though.

Awesome, thank you for the advice. I think it order to really justify it, I need to sell my floor standing Jet drill press and pick up a table top unit using the cash from the sale to buy a band saw. I think I would get more use out of the band saw than the floor standing drill press though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

mds2 posted:

Yeah, I've been doing this a while. I dont lose money on jobs.

Edit: not trying to sound like a dick. It's good to be able to discuss pricing with other woodworkers. There is not a market for $1000 coffee tables around here.

No offense taken. I should have phrased my question more delicately too; I wasn't assuming that you were underpricing yourself, but it sure sounded that way, in retrospect.

That's pretty impressive then that you're able to make furniture that nice for such a low price without feeling like you're not getting what you're worth.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

mds2 posted:

I really dont see ever getting those prices around here. It would be nice, but a $1000 table here is a dining room table not a coffee table.

What do you make?

This one went for 800 without the chairs:

But hey, if you're netting decent profits, what do we internet people know.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I find pricing items very hard as well. It can be difficult to price your time in a way that also makes the item affordable. Especially if you don't have the space to store many large items while they wait to sell.

For friends I often just double or triple material cost as a base quote, but realistically that's under valuing my time by a lot on most projects.

I should start actually recording how much time I spend on each project. I bet its higher than you think of in retrospect too.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Where do you all live? I'm in Nebraska and there just aren't that many people around here.
I've looked into shipping furniture before but the prices were ridiculous. In a large city I could probably charge more, the market just isn't here.

Being that I do this as a hobby I don't charge an hourly rate. I might get an hour today, an hour Thursday, and a couple hours on Sunday to work on a project. So I base my pricing off of material costs. 2-3x materials is where I usually land. It may not be the best way but it's working for me. I'd love to hear how others do things.

FYI, there is about $120 in materials in that table.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

gently caress quote != edit

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

mds2 posted:

Where do you all live? I'm in Nebraska and there just aren't that many people around here.
I've looked into shipping furniture before but the prices were ridiculous. In a large city I could probably charge more, the market just isn't here.

Being that I do this as a hobby I don't charge an hourly rate. I might get an hour today, an hour Thursday, and a couple hours on Sunday to work on a project. So I base my pricing off of material costs. 2-3x materials is where I usually land. It may not be the best way but it's working for me. I'd love to hear how others do things.

The table I posted last page got an offer for $400 and another for $650 (and I'm outside Cleveland Ohio). The wood is essentially scrap and mill cutoffs, so the material cost was nothing. I didn't sell it because the slab for the top dried badly and is warped. I have it held down flat, but since I can't guarantee it surviving without eventually opening up a crack on the underside, it gets to live with me for the foreseeable future (unless I put a different top on it). With enough time and selling it in the right place I could likely get more due to the live edge popularity going on right now.

I do things roughly the same as you. For one-off work I count my time fairly low and I price the materials based on the market around here (but most of the materials don't cost me anything). If I'm doing one of my production runs of cutting boards or salt boxes, I price more off of pure market value and probably turn a better profit if I were to count time. It gets weirder since the majority of my lumber is stuff I milled, so it's more time investment than material cost once again.

In the end, I look at selling the one-offs as a way to build something I can't stop thinking about and then get the finished object out of my life. I don't need more furniture, I just want a reason to be in the shop doing something fun. I almost never take true client work because people are awful to work for and have unreasonable ideas and expectations. The production runs of cutting boards/salt boxes I do when my scraps are getting out of control, and to make some decent money to spend directly on the shop.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

mds2 posted:

I live in Seattle, so naturally, if I ever manage to make a table that nice, it's going for 6,000 USD.

Because I'm going to use words like, "original, one of a kind, hand made, artisinal, locally sourced by an independent woodworker"

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Also try visiting furniture stores of various quality/price ranges, and check the materials and construction of different pieces. Just knock on surfaces, look for joinery, screws, and nails, and check for end grain, plywood, particle board etc. Even things sold as higher grade can cut corners in surprising ways, where you as a hobby woodworker might consider that unacceptable.

And yea that table definitely looks like something in the $2000+ range.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Found me a local sawmill about 15 minutes from my house. I'm looking forward to never working with a big box store again for lumber if I can avoid it. Fortunately I did not bring any money or I would have bought it all :unsmigghh:

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Spazz posted:

Found me a local sawmill about 15 minutes from my house. I'm looking forward to never working with a big box store again for lumber if I can avoid it. Fortunately I did not bring any money or I would have bought it all :unsmigghh:

Kick rear end. That looks like a great lumber store. Good prices?

Ok, Ill make some more coffee tables, sell them to you guys for $1000, and you re-sell to whoever for $2k.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

It's a small one man shop called Spacht Sawmill. Better than big box store prices, better selection, and haggling is an option for imperfect/bent boards. It also is significantly closer than Hearne Hardwoods, which is an hour each way. If anybody is in the SEPA area it's right near the south side Evansburg State Park, about 30-45 from Philadelphia.

The owner is a nice guy and doesn't care if you wander then cart your pickings up to pay. Cash only but he accepts checks. I have some projects on the radar and I'll be sourcing my materials from there.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Looks like I'm making a trip. I haven't been able to find a sawmill in Delaware yet. What were his prices like?

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Not exorbitant, but I also do not know sawmill prices that well. Compared to what Woodcraft keeps in stock, it was very well priced.

You may be better off going to Hearne since they are in Oxford and may be closer to you in DE.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Just finished a project for my god-daughter. She was talking about the two of us making a re-curve bow this past march, but I had to travel to the other side of the country for work. When I got back I thought that I should rectify this.

I got a three-view drawing of the handle section off the internet and pasted it to a chunk of laminated wood I made (walnut/ash/cherry). Ran it though a band-saw and went at it with the belt and palm sander for an hour or two, then hand sanded it, oiled it and gave it a coat of poly. Then I too the ends of two cross-country skis and attached them to the ends, notched them, test fitted them, and then gave the fronts of them a few coats of silver paint and a personalized "N" (her first initial).

I picked up a string off of Amazon, laced her up and we tested it out. I was super afraid that it might be underpowered, shoot wonky, or generally be an overall lovely product, but even without sights on it, we were getting our shots within a 5" circle at approx 25 feet. While it's not going to be taking down any bears or deer, it still has a decent amount of force to launch arrows. If she finds that it's not strong enough for her in the future I could try using some more rigid ski ends or maybe an inch or two shorter string (she's 13 right now and small/skinny for her age, so I'm not sure if this is going to have much room to grow).

Besides the string, the only thing I bought (skis were stacked up against a bin at the dump) were those two fasteners from Hope Depot which I liked because they were brass.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
That bow is badass. She's lucky

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My brother bought a new house, which includes a huge oak tree in the back yard. They'd like to remove it as it's blocking an awful lot of light, but it's a beautiful tree; I'd estimate it goes up, perfectly straight, at least 30' before it starts branching significantly, with a diameter at the base of about a yard.

Unfortunately for me, they live on the wrong coast, so I'm not likely to get my grubby little mitts on any slabs. What's the best way for them to handle this, though? Presumably they could find a company willing to take the tree away for free, but could they actually sell it? That is, find someone willing to come, remove it, and pay them for the wood? Is that a thing that's done?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I believe the majority of the value of wood (at least common species) comes from the labor involved in felling, transporting, and milling it. They could perhaps get someone to fell and remove it for free, who would then profit from selling it for/as lumber, but I doubt they'd get any slice of the cake.
I think Matt Cremona had a video where he talks about his experiences with picking up trees people have had felled from their yards, but I can't find it right now. I remember him emphasizing that he won't pay a large sum to buy a log, despite him being able to sell the lumber for much more, since he's effectively hauling away their garbage.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Unfortunately for me, they live on the wrong coast, so I'm not likely to get my grubby little mitts on any slabs. What's the best way for them to handle this, though? Presumably they could find a company willing to take the tree away for free, but could they actually sell it? That is, find someone willing to come, remove it, and pay them for the wood? Is that a thing that's done?

Not really a thing, nobody sells standing trees unless it's timber rights to an entire stand or select timber. Regardless of species, there isn't any workaround to needing to pay to have a tree felled unless you plan on doing it yourself. They could pay to have the tree dropped and try to sell the log to someone, but even that would be very unlikely. 99% of the time, you'll have to pay to have a tree dropped and removed.

There is the possibility of finding a chainsaw mill guy or someone with a portable band mill to come and saw it, but they won't be paying anyone for the privilege or cleaning up after themselves.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 6, 2017

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

My brother bought a new house, which includes a huge oak tree in the back yard. They'd like to remove it as it's blocking an awful lot of light, but it's a beautiful tree; I'd estimate it goes up, perfectly straight, at least 30' before it starts branching significantly, with a diameter at the base of about a yard.

Have him run an ad in Craigslist, see what he can fish in. There might be 1000 bf of usable lumber in that tree, assuming the trunk does't have wind stress, etc. That's 1000 feet of oak, probably white? drat shame to cut down a tree like that, but this country etc etc

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Yeah in the U.K. There is an auction site where people post logs and people bid on them. Then they turn up with a lorry and pick it up but the tree has to be felled before. Know someone who old an old walnut tree and made a fortune even after paying to have it dropped.

My mate the tree surgeon has invited me to his yard to pick whatever I want. He says he only has a load of beech maple and holm oak. gently caress yeah!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the advice, folks! I've been trying to convince him to keep some of the wood, but he's not a woodworker. :sigh: Still, if they can get some more sunlight in their backyard with a minimum of fuss/expenditure, that'll be a win.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

After riding the struggle bus for 6 months I'm calling it quits with this table saw. I've tried to realign the fence, grind the arbor washer flat, reinforce the fence, rebuild the fence, and I'm still not getting straight rips. It's becoming a safety issue since I had a case of kickback as I was ripping a 2x6.

I'm looking at options but they are all getting more and more expensive so I'm thinking of just picking up a Grizzly G0771Z and taking my old one to the scrap yard. The Grizzly is in my budget and will work well in my garage shop.

If anybody has recommendations before I buy the Grizzly they are welcome, either a different one to buy or options for unfucking my current saw. I'm just sick of the road blocks, safety issues, and general frustration.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Spazz posted:

I'm looking at options but they are all getting more and more expensive so I'm thinking of just picking up a Grizzly G0771Z and taking my old one to the scrap yard. The Grizzly is in my budget and will work well in my garage shop.

If anybody has recommendations before I buy the Grizzly they are welcome, either a different one to buy or options for unfucking my current saw. I'm just sick of the road blocks, safety issues, and general frustration.

Grizzly is the only company (that I know of, at least) with a true cabinet saw in that price range. Delta and Ridgid both make hybrid saws for $600 as well. The Delta is supposed to be good, the Ridgid is good but I'm not sure if they fixed the trunnion issue they had a year or three ago. The grizzly uses a (slightly weird) t-square style fence, and the Delta/Ridgid saws use less than ideal double locking fences that are easy to get out of square accidentally.

If it were me, I'd go for the Grizzly for the customer service and ease of getting parts and tech support. The extra ~$250 over the hybrid saws is also definitely a lot of bang for your buck.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Spazz posted:

After riding the struggle bus for 6 months I'm calling it quits with this table saw. I've tried to realign the fence, grind the arbor washer flat, reinforce the fence, rebuild the fence, and I'm still not getting straight rips. It's becoming a safety issue since I had a case of kickback as I was ripping a 2x6.

That Grizzly is a hella loving deal on a saw. Get the extended fence is my only