Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

pgroce posted:

Has anyone invented some kind of "wallpaper" that goes over old wallpaper and is easily paintable?

Yeah, literally every kind of wallpaper ever used anywhere (except the US apparently) for the past 100 or so years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

quote:

Unearthing treasure during home improvements

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

However it practically destroys walls or at least makes them about 100x harder to paint if you ever decide you don't want lovely floral patterns down the road. Or at least any wallpaper I've ever dealt with does.
Is there something about american wallpaper, its adhesives or the wall construction that you use that makes steaming it all off hard/impossible?
De-wallpapering a house is almost as satisfying as powerblasting something to me.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm 2 stories above this, and have to use these stairs to get in/out of my apt. :stare: But that's exposed because they're tearing it out and replacing it... on every building. probably 50-60 buildings at this property (over 800 apartments).

Place was built in 1983? 1984?

Unrelated, but someone threw a rave in the parking lot of the gun store down the street. Been doing this a few days, so I'm gonna guess whatever is loose (neutral I assume? I don't know 3 phase very well though) is limited to the parking lot lighting and signs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW-124rQSjw

e: vvv :laffo:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 8, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

someone threw a rave in the parking lot of the gun store down the street

( ̄□ ̄; )!!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
That disco looks like an electrical fire in the making, somewhere.

I used to work at a combined recording/rehearsal studio and live music venue. One weekend evening I had a full house of 6-7 bands rehearsing. Suddenly everyone was complaining that amplifiers were cutting out. All of them at the same time, building wide. Constantly going into protection mode. All the lights in the bar running from low voltage transformers were flickering like that video.

Called the power company. Apparently a fuse was in the process of blowing at a substation nearby, and an engineer was attending it. We had to close and it was sorted in the morning. What kind of fuse takes multiple hours to blow and causes that poo poo? I had visions of a guy standing around waiting for a three inch thick nail to slowly melt before he got a new one out of the van and slammed it in with a giant wrench.

Paging threephase.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's been going on for several days now. But yeah, something's arcing somewhere.

A couple of nights ago, everything was strobing pretty constantly.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Remember when we were talking about San Francisco and all its NIMBYism and elitism or whatever and everything?

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Rich-SF-residents-get-a-shock-Someone-bought-11738236.php

Hambilderberglar posted:

Is there something about american wallpaper, its adhesives or the wall construction that you use that makes steaming it all off hard/impossible?
De-wallpapering a house is almost as satisfying as powerblasting something to me.

I guess? It always ends up leaving a disaster of glue and usually gouges and stuff where someone didn't apply it properly or remove it previously. Or as many of us have mentioned, there's like 6+ layers of wallpaper in some sort of time capsule and you can't steam them all off at once.

I've never had a good experience removing wallpaper. Fortunately it's never been my own house, unless you count my parents doing it a bunch when I was growing up. I helped them though, as well as some friends, and ugh.

You're probably correct in that properly applied wallpaper is fine to remove, but America is the land of the McMansion and cutting corners, so nobody does that. Besides, it's still ugly and you're not going to convince me otherwise.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Speaking of Americans not having taste or skill, why do so many houses in American house-buying/selling/renovating TV shows have weird-rear end windows like this in above-ground rooms in buildings that at least allegedly aren't prisons or forts?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Americans take that whole 'A man's home is his castle' thing very literally. See also 'castle doctrine' which permits us to pour boiling oil on trespassers, and stockpiling food against a siege.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ashcans posted:

Americans take that whole 'A man's home is his castle' thing very literally. See also 'castle doctrine' which permits us to pour boiling oil on trespassers, and stockpiling food against a siege.

Someone should tell Americans that stockpiling food inside yourself doesn't really work. I watched that show about preppers that had the expert team analyze the survival rating of the featured lunatics and half the time the score-tallying ended with "however, advanced diabetes and morbid obesity make survival unlikely" (not as blatantly as that but anyway).

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What about wall paper borders? Just a splash of color at chair-rail height to liven up a small room, or up high around the top of a kitchen with a delightful chicken motif?

Sit down and have some cocoa dears, let's have a look at these wall paper sample books.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

What about wall paper borders?

If it doesn't say LIVE LAUGH LOVE I don't give a poo poo.

When I was a kid wallpaper was totally normal and everywhere even in new places, the paint-only-everywhere thing is recent-ish? I dunno I don't care just don't jizz magnolia on every vertical surface.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Speaking of Americans not having taste or skill, why do so many houses in American house-buying/selling/renovating TV shows have weird-rear end windows like this in above-ground rooms in buildings that at least allegedly aren't prisons or forts?

I've never seen those outside of basement (or a slightly buried first floor area because of landscaping or w/e) windows where ground level is just below them. Maybe they're a thing outside of the midwest, I dunno.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Your couch goes under the window?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

beep-beep car is go posted:

Your couch goes under the window?

Sure why not but:

e: I mean if that's why it's like that then OK I guess? It just makes the house look really ugly on the outside.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

We have them in our first floor bedrooms. I just assumed it was a privacy thing...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

schwaa posted:

We have them in our first floor bedrooms. I just assumed it was a privacy thing...

I personally have solved that with curtains (that I close when I'm about to go to bed) but now I'm afraid the next thread title is going to be Crappy Construction Tales: FUKKEN CURTAIN S IN THE TWENTUFIST CENTURY WHAT THE gently caress LOL

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

If it doesn't say LIVE LAUGH LOVE I don't give a poo poo.

So a friend's brother just posted images of their new house...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Dave posted:

I'm laughing.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

He looks great in the wedding portrait the TV cuts off.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I hate everything about that. I am laughing too but not the way they want I think.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

I personally have solved that with curtains (that I close when I'm about to go to bed) but now I'm afraid the next thread title is going to be Crappy Construction Tales: FUKKEN CURTAIN S IN THE TWENTUFIST CENTURY WHAT THE gently caress LOL

I like to keep the neighbors guessing... "he/she has a shirt on, but I wonder if..."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jerry Cotton posted:

This is basically my living room. The idea is that it brings in light but you can use the wall for furniture without blocking the windows. All the new houses in my area have these.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

I was terrified for the baby, lady what are you doing, just put them in the crib until you're done moving the heavy wooden structure on unstable wheels

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

The Dave posted:

Is he the same goon that hung those movie posters touching the ceiling? I wish I could find those pics...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The Dave posted:

Ouch...and I mean that literally for their necks.

I have a friend who's in a similar situation. No good way to arrange the living room other than couch against one wall, and TV above mantle on the opposite wall. The wall you enter the living room from is a quasi-open floor plan from the dining room area (it has a half step down, and most of the length between them is just a 36" wooden rail.) And the last wall is a large sliding glass door to the patio.

He'd love to get rid of the fireplace, but it's a natural gas fireplace that's the main source of heat for downstairs. The only other heat is a small electric baseboard in the kitchen.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

This is a new build so you don't have to worry about any level of sympathy.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I had a TV above a fireplace in an apartment because it was the only place that made sense for it. It turned out to be not all that bad as long as you didn't sit too close to it, and it was nice to be able to easily see it from the kitchen, I guess. It's certainly nothing I'd do in a house I was designing, though, wtf.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

shortspecialbus posted:

Remember when we were talking about San Francisco and all its NIMBYism and elitism or whatever and everything?

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Rich-SF-residents-get-a-shock-Someone-bought-11738236.php

"There’s a bit of irony in the couple’s purchase. Until a 1948 U.S. Supreme Court ruling banning the enforcement of racial covenants, homes in Presidio Terrace could be purchased only by whites".

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

schwaa posted:

My mom put windows like this in the house she built in her bedroom, which faced the street. It looked good on the inside with the size of her bed, but looked silly from the outside.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

GreenNight posted:

This is basically my living room. The idea is that it brings in light but you can use the wall for furniture without blocking the windows. All the new houses in my area have these.

Really? Wow, I associate it with "contemporary" style houses from the 60s and 70s, or mid-century houses. I haven't seen it on any new construction in my area.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Natural light from multiple sources. Transom style windows provide light while not sacrificing wall space. The windows also help with privacy and your view. Sometimes you just want the light but don't care/want to see what is on the other side of the window. i.e. one side faces the rolling back yards, the other side faces a neighbor's garage.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah my windows like that all face a street.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

I think the patterns on wallpaper can be cool and stuff, but wallpaper is such a horrible material to work with that it more or less ruins the wall you attach it to.

On the staircase to my upper floor, there was some good vinyl-based wallpaper that I started to remove. I found out that the plaster & lath walls underneath the wallpaper had some serious settlement cracks that the wallpaper held together. I realized my folly in trying to patch the cracks after removing the wallpaper and just put a thin coat of plaster over the wallpaper. Cracks are hidden and the wall looks great. I know the future owners of the house may hate me but this is going to last longer than if I simply replastered the cracks. The only other solution would be to gut the walls and place new drywall but gently caress that project. This is a tall staircase even at the landing.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Just get a fireplace tv mount that swings out and down if you happen to live in such a terrible layout.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Just add water!

You don't even need to do that. Concrete powder will suck water out of the air and dirt all by itself. Because of this, concrete bags do have a shelf life.

Don't feel like mixing up concrete to set a fence post? Dig the hole, put the post in, then just pour in the powder and level the post.

...and? That is normal for old knob and tube wiring. Hell, they still soldered junctions sometimes even after the switch to NM. The only thing missing is the rubberized tape they used instead of wire nuts.

By the way, if you're repairing one of these, don't let that rubberized tape touch a wood floor. Getting rid of it is like trying to rub off a scuff mark from hell. I've smeared tiny pieces more than 2 feet before.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 8, 2017

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Leperflesh posted:

I think the patterns on wallpaper can be cool and stuff, but wallpaper is such a horrible material to work with that it more or less ruins the wall you attach it to.

They need to make wallpaper backed with the same adhesive as used on 3M sticky notes. So you can stick it up and it'll stay there for however long you want it there, but when you're done, one person can just grab a corner and peel it off and leave no residue behind.

original idea do not steal etc. etc.

NuWallpaper

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

They need to make wallpaper backed with the same adhesive as used on 3M sticky notes. So you can stick it up and it'll stay there for however long you want it there, but when you're done, one person can just grab a corner and peel it off and leave no residue behind.

original idea do not steal etc. etc.

This stuff basically already exists for decals, instead of cutting out a shape you'd just use whole sheets of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Orrr, use this:

Safety Dance posted:

https://www.tempaperdesigns.com/demo-video

Surprisingly, this exists! My wife is interested in it.

Also, the couple demonstrating the wallpaper application in the video whip out a ladder so they can measure an 8 foot wall.

Which is exactly what I was thinking of. Although the install video is pretty funny: there's no chance the average non-professional is going to get the sheets perfectly lined up, cleanly cut out the wall outlet (which you should remove the faceplate for so the wallpaper goes under the edge, goddamnit), or realize after measuring and cutting that most drywall walls aren't perfectly square so there's going to be a gap or overlap somewhere.

That said.... you can peel it off and fix it, so it's not like real wallpaper where if you gently caress it up and the glue dries you're totally boned.

wesleywillis posted:

"There’s a bit of irony in the couple’s purchase. Until a 1948 U.S. Supreme Court ruling banning the enforcement of racial covenants, homes in Presidio Terrace could be purchased only by whites".

Fuckin' love it. Also the whole bit where failing to update the address of their tax attorney left them with a nine hundred dollar unpaid tax bill and these rich assholes are going to face an actual consequence for that. Exactly like how millions of poor people get totally hosed for minor discrepancies on a daily basis, because the government has zero sympathy and does not just accommodate you after the fact when you failed to pay a bill or whatever.

Like for once in their massively overprivileged lives these super wealthy elites will get a tiny taste of what it's like to get taken advantage of by the faceless uncaring System. Right?

....nah, they're going to litigate their way out of it on the basis of some technicality and/or a healthy political donation into the right supervisor's re-election campaign fund. That couple that bought the street are going to get screwed.