Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nah, he was a jerk who was actively against meruem growing as a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Everyone straight up doesn't like pouf?
Youpi is rad, Pitou even more so. Pouf seems like a clingy ex that can't loving let go. Like, despite the fact that he lived longer than Pitou, I think Pouf had LESS development than some of the Soldier Ants / Squad Leaders.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

verdict's in:

hes bad

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Pouf sucks

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Pretty much. He's got no admirable qualities unlike Youpi's respect for Knuckles or Pitou's desire to protect Komugi.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pouf is a good character but a really realy really bad person which is sort of the point. He's the most Ant of the Chimera Ants and has just enough human in him to be a poo poo about it.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
Pouf had everything going for him (suit/wings/violin) and did nothing with it! He was starting to go somewhere when he was manipulating the king, but he never did much with it and was kinda there.

Youpi had one of the best battles in the series till that point, and until the Rose, actually had an arc that grew him into an actual person.

Pitou had her biological impetus to protect the king as her one motivation for her entire life. I really wanted to like her but she was an incredibly bland character with a great design.

Meruem had some cool moments like when he first showed remorse for killing that kid early on. Wasn't crazy about him finding his humanity via working towards genocide, so I think the Hunters were beyond justified in taking care of him.

I thought Welfin was secretly the best of the ants

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

ImpAtom posted:

Pouf is a good character but a really realy really bad person which is sort of the point. He's the most Ant of the Chimera Ants and has just enough human in him to be a poo poo about it.

Yeah jokes aside I wouldn't remove him from the story, but I don't think anybody actually "likes" him because he's just so rotten and detestable. Meruem is only the "main antagonist" of the arc insofar as he's the strongest one, Pouf is the real villain of that story.

TurkeyFried posted:

Can't say I agree with the rest of your post but yeah same

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i did watch the castlevania series on netflix does that count

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

:raise:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
whoops wrong thread lol

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

TurkeyFried posted:

This is correct

1# werefin
2#brovuda
3#ikalgo
4#the rest

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

This is correct

1# werefin

you got that romanization wrong, the correct name for the chief of security who loses every fight is 'worfin'.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I say nuke them all.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
shoot a nuke down a bug hole, you got a lot of dead bugs.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Tunicate posted:

you got that romanization wrong, the correct name for the chief of security who loses every fight is 'worfin'.

He beat puffu in a battle of wits

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Why don't more people use Bloster? It's such a good name. It's like lobster except the b is switched to make it sound like blaster.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Pouf is almost cool

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Basically, his violin is cool

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
the netero flashaback was perfect for showing his absolute desire for power then right after it gets revealed he dies the most unselfish deaths in the manga and i think its even more nobler than if he had some really goody goody two shoe flashback (plus he DID spent 10 full years training anyone that strong would flaunt it in some capacity god damnit)

just because netero didnt respect weakness didnt mean he didnt care about humanity

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The best ant is Mito haHA

e: oh gently caress this doesn't work in american accents

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Pitou is the only Royal Guard who loves the King for who he is, rather than her own idea of what he's supposed to be.

Youpi's still the best though. I feel like if Pouf hadn't influenced him, he might've come to understand the King the same way Pitou did.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bad Seafood posted:

Pitou is the only Royal Guard who loves the King for who he is, rather than her own idea of what he's supposed to be.

Youpi's still the best though. I feel like if Pouf hadn't influenced him, he might've come to understand the King the same way Pitou did.

This is probably best exemplified in the scene were Meruem asks them what his name is and their opinions on it.

Pouf said he does not require a name, he is the King and that is what matters.
Pitou said what he feels is most important, given that they don't know his actual name he should pick one he feels suits him.
Youpi said he is not qualified to answer the question.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's kinda neat how each of the three has such a totally different interpretation of their job. They were all created to protect and serve the King, butS

Pouf thinks that the King has a very strong duty to the race, and it's his duty to help the King fulfill that duty.
Pitou thinks that her duty is to help the King do whatever it is he feels necessary, because he is the King.
Youpi thinks that he was created to fight to the utmost limit of his ability to protect the King, so that's what he's gonna do.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Why is Gon's rock paper scissors called Jajanken when the word for that is Janken? Mistranslation?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Why is Gon's rock paper scissors called Jajanken when the word for that is Janken? Mistranslation?

He stuttered it as he was saying it and Knuckle (I think?) was like "THAT'S A COOL NAME!"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah he stutters trying to say Janken but it also makes a Japanese pun for fist of evil our something which is why Knuckle assumes its intentional.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gon accidentally combines "Jaken" (evil fist) with "Janken" (rock-paper-scissors), turning it into "Jajanken".

It probably says something about our innocent protagonist that his main move has "evil" in it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

Gon accidentally combines "Jaken" (evil fist) with "Janken" (rock-paper-scissors), turning it into "Jajanken".

It probably says something about our innocent protagonist that his main move has "evil" in it.
It honestly says more about Knuckle finding it cool as gently caress than it does about Gon. :allears:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jose posted:

it counts... as having bad taste

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

How can you not love Pouf he's fuckin great.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Warlock-paper-scissors

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Wasn't it "jajan! Here's my special move!"?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Wild Horses posted:

Wasn't it "jajan! Here's my special move!"?

no

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Yeah it's Jajan, I just watched that episode on Sunday

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

That's why Knuckle thought it was so clever. He thought it was a pun about the surprise attack instead of some demon thing!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I wonder how the dub will handle it.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

do people just make stuff up?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

yeah that's exactly it man I get a boner from telling people japanese words mean evil fist, from the wiki

quote:

is Hatsu ability was called Jajanken (ジャジャン拳(ジャジャンけん)) a play on the Japanese word for Rock-paper-scissors, "Janken," the word "Jajan" (a Japanese interjection akin to the word "Ta-dah"), and "Jaken (邪拳 Evil Fist)."

Depending which fan translation you originally read the explanation was different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
okay well someone with a wikia account should edit the "jaken" thing out of the hunter x hunter wikia so it doesnt confuse so many people