Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ok i know these fuckin things come in sets so i guess 'live' and 'love' are in the guest room

unless there's just a "cursive words printed on rectangles" section in bed bath & beyond now, which there probably is

wait how did i notice THAT before i noticed the Toilet King's Throne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SoundMonkey posted:

unless there's just a "cursive words printed on rectangles" section in bed bath & beyond now, which there probably is

Now I want a wall hanging that says "LIVE LAUGH UNPROTECTED SODOMY"

That toilet loving owns, btw.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Blue Footed Booby posted:

"LIVE LAUGH UNPROTECTED SODOMY"

Crappy Construction Tales: Home of the "LIVE LAUGH UNPROTECTED SODOMY" Wallhangings

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
I'm guessing theres a 90% chance that the toilet drain necks down into the original 1.5" stub that obviously served a sink at one point.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

SoundMonkey posted:

ok i know these fuckin things come in sets so i guess 'live' and 'love' are in the guest room

wait how did i notice THAT before i noticed the Toilet King's Throne

That's just a Family Home Laugh Dream set. Random word wall hangings are in.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I refuse to believe that this is a real room and not some rendering of a DIY goon's worst nightmare.

And I too noticed the Fancy Word Squares before the en-suite bathroom.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

hailthefish posted:

That's just a Family Home Laugh Dream set. Random word wall hangings are in.

that sounds like a prefabricated home sold by disreputable eBay sellers

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I want that toilet setup. Desperately.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

TTerrible posted:

I want that toilet setup. Desperately.

same but move the toilet accent light to two at the back corners for a halo effect while i take a dump

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's horrible because you can't see the huge TV from the throne

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Diceware word blocks could be the next big thing.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Leperflesh posted:

It's horrible because you can't see the huge TV from the throne

Pretty sure that is a shower door on the left side, not a TV...

I am honestly not sure if that's better or worse...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Youth Decay posted:

I refuse to believe that this is a real room and not some rendering of a DIY goon's worst nightmare.

And I too noticed the Fancy Word Squares before the en-suite bathroom.

No sunken tub.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Jerry Cotton posted:

Speaking of Americans not having taste or skill, why do so many houses in American house-buying/selling/renovating TV shows have weird-rear end windows like this in above-ground rooms in buildings that at least allegedly aren't prisons or forts?

That's an architectural feature of the Craftsman style. Wood floors, wide baseboards and door trims too. It's pretty common in houses built in the 1890-1920 era.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

well i mean after they build the houses poorly they have to live in them poorly too

Hey I don't mind, I did say I love it.

slurry_curry posted:

Pretty sure that is a shower door on the left side, not a TV...

Huh I thought it was a TV at first glance too. These cows are small, those cows are far away..

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Fuckin' love it. Also the whole bit where failing to update the address of their tax attorney left them with a nine hundred dollar unpaid tax bill and these rich assholes are going to face an actual consequence for that. Exactly like how millions of poor people get totally hosed for minor discrepancies on a daily basis, because the government has zero sympathy and does not just accommodate you after the fact when you failed to pay a bill or whatever.

Like for once in their massively overprivileged lives these super wealthy elites will get a tiny taste of what it's like to get taken advantage of by the faceless uncaring System. Right?

....nah, they're going to litigate their way out of it on the basis of some technicality and/or a healthy political donation into the right supervisor's re-election campaign fund. That couple that bought the street are going to get screwed.

They're not going to face anything. City'll end up voiding the sale and returning their money most likely.

Even if they let the idiots who bought it keep it, it's a street in a century old neighborhood, every house on it is going to effectively be granted easements to the whole property.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Liquid Communism posted:

They're not going to face anything. City'll end up voiding the sale and returning their money most likely.

yeah, and now everyone realizes this is possible and can use it to screw over people who CAN'T get the city to void the purchase :suicide:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phanatic posted:

America has a wide variation in climate and having windows the size of entire walls is not a good idea in a lot of the country. Unless you have a manservant named Enrique to pay your utility bills.

Again: curtains, together with double glazing and (for old windows that don't have seals) window paper or tape* for Winter. Or heck it's 2017 why not do triple glazing. My mother's old place was built sometime in the 1800s and it had double windows (I guess the additional pane is called a storm window in English?).

I'm not trying to say small windows aren't inherently a better technical solution to heat loss because they obviously are. Complete windowlessness is even better. But both aesthetically and psychologically normal-sized windows are miles better.

*)

Liquid Communism posted:

That's an architectural feature of the Craftsman style. Wood floors, wide baseboards and door trims too. It's pretty common in houses built in the 1890-1920 era.

:lol:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 10, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I think I've made that house in the Sims.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Again: curtains, together with double glazing and (for old windows that don't have seals) window paper or tape* for Winter. Or heck it's 2017 why not do triple glazing. My mother's old place was built sometime in the 1800s and it had double windows (I guess the additional pane is called a storm window in English?).

yeah i know for a fact i'm gonna have to put up plastic when it's winter here unless i want to pay out the rear end for heat. my old place also had poorly sealed single pane sash windows, on the plus side you know when it's windy outside because it's also windy inside.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

quote:

Traditional storm windows and screens are time consuming and very labor-intensive, requiring removal and storage of the storm windows in the spring, and reinstallation in the fall and storage of the screens. The weight of the large storm window frame and glass makes replacement on upper-stories of tall buildings a difficult task requiring repeatedly climbing a ladder with each window and trying to hold the window in place while securing retaining clips around the edges.

How can you do something so utterly wrong? You put them on the inside of the house. Takes about five minutes per pane if you factor in sealing them with cotton and tape. Once a year.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Jerry Cotton posted:

How can you do something so utterly wrong? You put them on the inside of the house. Takes about five minutes per pane if you factor in sealing them with cotton and tape. Once a year.

i think i accidentally popped the top of a window screen out of the track/bracket on a (modern) window upstairs and i'm putting off even dealing with that from the outside, much less an enormous goddamn window or ten.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've been looking at pictures of windows and screens on GIS and almost all of them also have cats but then there was this:

http://www.vastavalo.net/tytto-katse-katsoa-nuori-verkon-takana-353908.html

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've been looking at pictures of windows and screens on GIS and almost all of them also have cats but then there was this:

http://www.vastavalo.net/tytto-katse-katsoa-nuori-verkon-takana-353908.html

i could really use a screen door and my neighbor has the perfect one for this style of house but it's probably weird to go over and be like "where'd you get that door, i'm going to buy two identical ones."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

i could really use a screen door and my neighbor has the perfect one for this style of house but it's probably weird to go over and be like "where'd you get that door, i'm going to buy two identical ones."

What? No, that's not weird at all. Just wait for the next time you catch your neighbor outside and ask 'em. People are proud of their houses and will go on at length.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

kid sinister posted:

Guess the city!

Yes, you will. Every time you turn around in there.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jerry Cotton posted:

annoying pedant/ my parent's Cape Cod, built just after WWII, has wood double-hung windows. Up until about 1988, the storm windows were large wood units casing a single sheet of 1/8" glass (there was a matching set of screens as well). These were hung on lugs from the outside and secured with swing hooks inside. Each one had a little stamped-metal number plate that corresponded with a matching plate on each window. They were a giant pain in the rear end to install & remove. My mom eventually had storm-window units installed in 1989. /annoying pedant

My house was built around 1930 and still has the original double-hung windows. I have restored them; sure, they're not as tight as a modern insulated unit, but they do surprisingly well coupled with a decent storm window unit (all of which I replaced).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The former owner of my home turned the garage into a sunroom with huge single pane windows, and yes it gets cold as gently caress in the winter. We just put curtains up to keep the cold air from spreading through the house.

What I'd really like to do is get Indow window inserts but I'd have to scrape the cash together first.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Liquid Communism posted:

Even if they let the idiots who bought it keep it, it's a street in a century old neighborhood, every house on it is going to effectively be granted easements to the whole property.

They purposely waited until it was too late for the city to void the sale. And they've said nothing about preventing the current residents from access, they were hinting that unless the current residents bought it from them, they'd remove the gate and let anyone in the city park on the street.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

duz posted:

They purposely waited until it was too late for the city to void the sale. And they've said nothing about preventing the current residents from access, they were hinting that unless the current residents bought it from them, they'd remove the gate and let anyone in the city park on the street.

That's kind of awesome.

Gated community people are weird.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
http://imgur.com/gallery/KeYFx4M

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

duz posted:

San fran goons should buy some beaters and park them there. Ship them in from the rust belt.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I expected the back to come loose and smash into his head, but I can't say the actual result was a disappointment.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

At what point do huge windows stop being a greenhouse and just let in cold air? Is there something about the contents of a greenhouse (dirt & plants) that make it warmer than a lawyer foyer?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

peanut posted:

At what point do huge windows stop being a greenhouse and just let in cold air?

when you open them?

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
When the sun goes down.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Windows have a positive r value, but a significantly lower r value than actual insulation and thus let a lot morethermal energy through than other building materials.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

That toilet alcove needs more skulls and braziers.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Even with the lid down the flush plume reaches the pillows every single time guaranteed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TerminalSaint posted:

That toilet alcove needs more skulls and braziers.

Somebody needs to make a reclining toilet already.