Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
if you have a spaceship powered by nuclear bombs then you don't really have to listen to anybodies complaints. it's their problem, not yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

wdarkk posted:

People would throw a shitfit about the fallout. Although I read about one plan to mitigate that by using a huge pile of conventional explosives to get the thing away from the ground.
I mean the only difference between explosions and combustion is detonation speed; rockets are pretty much already doing what you'd consider to be conventional explosives

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bhodi posted:

I mean the only difference between explosions and combustion is detonation speed; rockets are pretty much already doing what you'd consider to be conventional explosives

Sadly, the N1 failure is no longer considered the largest non‐nuclear explosion in history.

Still, it made a good showing.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Oh, Project Orion, the third-least environmentally friendly propulsion system :allears:
(2 is Pluto, 1 is NSWR)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Nuclear salt-water rockets probably outrank dimethylmercury propellant as an insane rocket design, and that's saying something. The only thing keeping them from securing that spot is that no one ever got the OK to build one :magical:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

Sadly, the N1 failure is no longer considered the largest non‐nuclear explosion in history.

Still, it made a good showing.

Hell, it wasn't even the largest at the time. It was exceeded by, among other things, the Heligoland "British Bang" experiment.

quote:

. On 18 April 1947, the Royal Navy detonated 6,700 tonnes of explosives ("Big Bang" or "British Bang"), creating one of the biggest single non-nuclear detonations in history.[25] Though the attack was aimed at the fortifications, the island's total destruction would have been accepted.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

darthbob88 posted:

Hell, it wasn't even the largest at the time. It was exceeded by, among other things, the Heligoland "British Bang" experiment.

Yeah but many people were quoting bad figures for N1.

E.g.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

You know, for some reason I'd never read up on nuclear salt-water rockets.

For some reason I assumed they were another nuclear-thermal rocket design, using common salt water for whatever reason as the propellant. But I couldn't understand why that would be so crazy, according to your ranking.

Now I've read about the basic design. And I understand.

You know that thing where chimpanzees grin not because they're happy, but because they're scared and that's how primates show off their teeth to the scary thing? That's what I'm doing right now.

Holy poo poo.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
NSWRs rule and we should build one.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

wdarkk posted:

People would throw a shitfit about the fallout. Although I read about one plan to mitigate that by using a huge pile of conventional explosives to get the thing away from the ground.

What fallout? Look at the Orion Gun. It's all self contained in geologically stable bedrock.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bhodi posted:

An explosion is just a sudden expansion and release of energy. Doesn't even need to be a chemical reaction. Heat up a tank of compressed gas sufficiently, it'll explode.

What you're thinking of is the difference between deflagration and detonation. In the former, the reaction is propagated subsonically via conductive heating of the adjacent material. In the latter, it is propagated supersonically via compressive heating of the adjacent material. Even deflagrants can explode just fine in the right circumstances. A pipe bomb sure as hell explodes, even though it doesn't detonate.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Phy posted:

You know, for some reason I'd never read up on nuclear salt-water rockets.

For some reason I assumed they were another nuclear-thermal rocket design, using common salt water for whatever reason as the propellant. But I couldn't understand why that would be so crazy, according to your ranking.

Now I've read about the basic design. And I understand.

You know that thing where chimpanzees grin not because they're happy, but because they're scared and that's how primates show off their teeth to the scary thing? That's what I'm doing right now.

Holy poo poo.

I just had to look it up now. Found this charming description via the Wikipedia page. It's full of great quotes:

Nuke Your Way to the Stars posted:

Zubrin's nuclear salt water rocket (NSWR) [...] requires only minor extrapolations from the mature technology of existing nuclear power systems and could probably be implemented for prototype testing in a very short time. Writing the environmental impact statement for such tests, however, might present an interesting problem, because Zubrin's scheme vents highly radioactive nuclear fission products directly into space.

I can imagine! Not many technologies where the impact of a successful test looks more like a catastrophic failure or nuclear disaster.

Nuke Your Way to the Stars posted:

If the right fuel velocity is chosen, the thermal neutron flux (and therefore the site of maximum fission energy release) can be made to peak very sharply just outside the exit end of the cylindrical reaction chamber.
In other words, one can produce a continuous controlled nuclear explosion in the region just behind the nuclear rocket. At this point the water of the fuel liquid flashes to very high temperature steam, expelling reaction mass with an estimated exhaust velocity of 66,000 meters per second (as compared with perhaps 4,500 m/s for a chemical rocket).

So your rocket is sitting on an ongoing nuclear explosion, with only your precise control of the fuel feed velocity keeping that explosion behind your spacecraft, as opposed to inside it. This thing owns :stare:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Anta posted:

I can imagine! Not many technologies where the impact of a successful test looks more like a catastrophic failure or nuclear disaster.

Venting radioactive material into space is like pissing into the ocean. The whole solar system is full of radioactive material in the form of the solar wind. The exhaust from a NSWR would be traveling comfortably faster than solar escape velocity, so as long as you didn't point the tail end in the direction of any people, it would be a total non-concern.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Phanatic posted:

Venting radioactive material into space is like pissing into the ocean. The whole solar system is full of radioactive material in the form of the solar wind. The exhaust from a NSWR would be traveling comfortably faster than solar escape velocity, so as long as you didn't point the tail end in the direction of any people, it would be a total non-concern.

Uh, yeah. I was talking about atmospheric/ground tests. I guess I didn't make that clear.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

quote:

The design and calculations discussed above are using 20 percent enriched Uranium salts, however, it would be plausible to use another design which would be capable of achieving much higher exhaust velocities (4,700 km/s) and use 2,700 tonnes of highly enriched uranium salts in water to propel a 300 tonne spacecraft up to 3.6% of the speed of light.

:stare:

Correct me if I'm wrong but at 4,700 km/s a 60 second burn would get you to Mars in ~54 hours, right? That just seems... vulgar.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but at 4,700 km/s a 60 second burn would get you to Mars in ~54 hours, right? That just seems... vulgar.

Exhaust velocity, but you need to match the momentum of your exhaust with the momentum of your significantly more massive vessel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Moist von Lipwig posted:

No. Your exhaust particles travel at 4700 km per second. You don’t, or at least not till you throw a lot of exhaust behind you.

e:f;b

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Johnny Aztec posted:

What fallout? Look at the Orion Gun. It's all self contained in geologically stable bedrock.

I think he thought you meant "use an Orion ship as a heavy lifter instead of chemical rockets" since Orion was what the thread had been discussing, and not that you were starting on a tangent about gun-type launchers. Your post was a little unclear on that point.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Well, it doesn't get "you" to Mars, unless by "you" you mean "a fine red-pink paste lining your ruined acceleration couches".

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Nah, just use the cruciforms and you'll be fine. What's the worst that could happen?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Marcade posted:

Nah, just use the cruciforms and you'll be fine. What's the worst that could happen?

Galaxy-wide faux-religious oppression, for a start.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
we could just capture a comet and stick a reactor down the middle :v:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Phy posted:

I think he thought you meant "use an Orion ship as a heavy lifter instead of chemical rockets" since Orion was what the thread had been discussing, and not that you were starting on a tangent about gun-type launchers. Your post was a little unclear on that point.

Look, all I'm saying is, let's shoot multiple tons of metals into the orbit using controlled and contained nuclear explosions. That's all.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Look, all I'm saying is, let's shoot multiple tons of metals into the orbit using controlled and contained nuclear explosions. That's all.

So much for the tolerant lift.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

And anything in the payload is now a thin, nigh monomolecular film. Doubly so during the retroburn.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Double Punctuation posted:

So much for the tolerant lift.

:golfclap:

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Johnny Aztec posted:

How about launching from the sea?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Phanatic posted:

... as long as you didn't point the tail end in the direction of any people, it would be a total non-concern.

Good thing humans have always had leaders that would never think of using a giant radioactive spray gun as a weapon.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

PhotoKirk posted:

Good thing humans have always had leaders that would never think of using a giant radioactive spray gun as a weapon.

Jizzing people to death is at least an elegant metaphor for nuclear weapons.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

PhotoKirk posted:

Any engine is a weapon that's destructive in proportion to its usefulness as an engine. If you want something capable of interstellar or even rapid interplanetary travel, you're going to wind up with something that has strategic implications because you can use it to kill a bunch of people and break poo poo.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Phanatic posted:

Any engine is a weapon that's destructive in proportion to its usefulness as an engine. If you want something capable of interstellar or even rapid interplanetary travel, you're going to wind up with something that has strategic implications because you can use it to kill a bunch of people and break poo poo.

Larry Niven's "Kzinti Lesson", if anyone hasn't come across those stories.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The quickest way for us to develop Inter-stellar travel, would be for some alien race to be all " we're gonna kick your rear end!"
Maybe fly by and knock our moon flags over.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Johnny Aztec posted:

The quickest way for us to develop Inter-stellar travel, would be for some alien race to be all " we're gonna kick your rear end!"
Maybe fly by and knock our moon flags over.

Reminds of that tumblr pic floating around with the flag on the moon and somebody wondering what would happen if China just knocked the flag down, and the response was something like "lol if you don't think America wouldn't spend a billion dollars just to send somebody up to stand it back up."

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Might as well replace them while the guy is up there, the moon flags were off the shelf flags not suited to taking solar rays constantly, so they've probably bleached pretty badly.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kwyndig posted:

Might as well replace them while the guy is up there, the moon flags were off the shelf flags not suited to taking solar rays constantly, so they've probably bleached pretty badly.

Might as well, since yeah, they're probably drat near bleached white by now.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Yeah, even China knocking it over won’t push America into spending billions to replace a pure white flag with a coloured one.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Yeah, even China knocking it over won’t push America into spending billions to replace a pure white flag with a coloured one.

The hell we'd put a British flag up there :argh:

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

90s Cringe Rock posted:

a coloured one.

African American

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I recall reading that all the flags are faded to white by now. And Apollo 11's flag fell over from the engine wash when the LM took off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Randaconda posted:

Reminds of that tumblr pic floating around with the flag on the moon and somebody wondering what would happen if China just knocked the flag down, and the response was something like "lol if you don't think America wouldn't spend a billion dollars just to send somebody up to stand it back up."
gently caress putting it back up. We'd put up a new one so big you could see it from Beijing.