Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Welp just put down 90 bucks Canadian for the GaogaiGar kit. Here's hoping it's good...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

hats4cats posted:

A 1/100 Zaku F2000?

Poor choice of english names aside (杂兵 ought to translate to something like "various weaponry" as far as I know), this guy likes to make BF-related stuff. Besides the Zaku F2000 his page has conversion kits for the MG Wing and the MG Ez-8 that turn them into a 1/100 Wing Fenice and the various forms of the Ez-SR.

There aren't any really good painted shots of his stuff as far as I know, but from what I've seen he's part of the camp that goes a little overboard on the detailing/proportions.

But there are far worse offenders.

And cooler ones.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm trying to figure out a way to do that. What would be a good, non destructive way to thin the coat out enough that I could use a brush on it to smooth and splotch as I please?

As for the vent stickers, I didn't bother because I'd assembled it before putting them on, thereby screwing up. Not a big deal either way though.

If the top coat is a matte or satin finish, you may have luck softly rubbing a q-tip with the wash in the areas that you want. Gloss may be too smooth to stick right but if its the others it may be grainy enough to catch a smear.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Monaghan posted:

Welp just put down 90 bucks Canadian for the GaogaiGar kit. Here's hoping it's good...
Keep us posted. It looks amazing!

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I've been messing around with that $100 airbrush I bought.

Pictures show up a lot of grain in the paint, but really in person it looks pretty good, better than any coat I could get hand painting.

Tamiya Primer on frame and any moving parts, Vallejo on any static parts.

Model Air Gunmetal, Metallic Black and Engine Gray colour wise. They are so easy to use in the airbrush it's stupid, clean up is stupid easy too.

hosed up on the ankle pistons and didn't open up the hole first so I have to drill those out, went a little thick on the knees without test fitting for clearance so there's some scratches on them, but airbrushing is so satisfying.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm almost finished with my first perfect grade, I've been taking periodic pictures of progress.

I still have the weapons and shields to finish, but overall I'm really happy with it.

http://imgur.com/a/weKXQ

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BlitzBlast posted:

There aren't any really good painted shots of his stuff as far as I know, but from what I've seen he's part of the camp that goes a little overboard on the detailing/proportions.

But there are far worse offenders.

I don't hate that one. It's been loaded up with unnecessary details, but at least all the details look like they belong on the same suit. Simple blocky shapes on the armor, circles on the elbow and knee joints, cyber stuff on the guns. And most importantly the extra details don't gently caress up the silhouette.

I don't like it, it's still detail and visual overload with no clear focal point, but it's a drat sight better than that Neo Zeong.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

First time this has happened. Any advice on how to fix?

Luckily I have the piece of plastic that broke off the rotator, but the joint is now extremely loose so I have to be careful how I handle this. I have both superglue and plastic glue.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Booyah- posted:

First time this has happened. Any advice on how to fix?

Luckily I have the piece of plastic that broke off the rotator, but the joint is now extremely loose so I have to be careful how I handle this. I have both superglue and plastic glue.

Is the assembly glued together? If it's just snap-fit you'll want to disassemble and remove the rotator before repairs; even gel glue is capable of seeping into joints and fusing them.

By plastic glue do you mean cement? That would be ideal; since you mentioned the joint feeling looser I assume that means it's under some pressure/friction, which will eventually re-break a superglued part.

Once it's glued back together and dried, sand the area lightly to take care of any excess glue that might get snagged, and it should be good-as-nee.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Thanks! Yep I meant plastic cement. I put the joint back together but will have to fix the looseness later.

It's odd, other parts from the same ABS sprue have broken too, my first time with one of these kits. I think it may be the gundam marker I'm using, it's one of the ink pouring types and has a chemical smell to it. I just used it to ink one of the hands and the fingers literally fell apart!

Everything should be fine with some more plastic cement though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Booyah- posted:

Thanks! Yep I meant plastic cement. I put the joint back together but will have to fix the looseness later.

It's odd, other parts from the same ABS sprue have broken too, my first time with one of these kits. I think it may be the gundam marker I'm using, it's one of the ink pouring types and has a chemical smell to it. I just used it to ink one of the hands and the fingers literally fell apart!

Everything should be fine with some more plastic cement though.

That is behaving like some solvent is attacking the plastic. Be very careful handling the model as the plastic in other areas may start to flake away too.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I've never seen a Gundam marker (assuming you mean the brand) eat away at a kit like that - what kit is it (sorry I can't tell from a joint~) and how old is it?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Midjack posted:

That is behaving like some solvent is attacking the plastic. Be very careful handling the model as the plastic in other areas may start to flake away too.

Yeah, and it only seems to have happened on the ABS plastic, so I wonder if that had anything to do with it. I used the same marker on PC stuff too and it was fine.

It's this marker (GM 302)

Caitlin posted:

I've never seen a Gundam marker (assuming you mean the brand) eat away at a kit like that - what kit is it (sorry I can't tell from a joint~) and how old is it?

The Miss Sazabi kit from build fighters, so 2014 or so.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Booyah- posted:

Yeah, and it only seems to have happened on the ABS plastic, so I wonder if that had anything to do with it. I used the same marker on PC stuff too and it was fine.

It's this marker (GM 302)

The Miss Sazabi kit from build fighters, so 2014 or so.

2014 for the modifications, but the base kit's from 2008.

Still very odd.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

This is by far the most i've ever invested into third-party kits, but 2017 has been loving killing it with third-party Gunpla and nothing i've seen of this GaoGaiGar leads me to believe that it's gonna ruin the trend.

Speaking of GaoGaiGar, it's been a while since i've posted pics of any Chogokins here. I've gotten a few new ones in the past couple of months.

The most recent was SRC GaoFighGar

I also just found a deal on the SRC Goldion Hammer for 27 dollars CAD, so GFG will be getting that ASAP. Also,

I figured my Genesic GGG could use some protagonist buddies, so Might Gaine and J-Decker were acquired as well for great prices.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Boy, the giant arms on the Dantalion are horrible

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I like mobile suits more than gundams, but am wanting to stretch my wings beyond hg. Any fun RG or MG suits out there?

Tia

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Don't know about MGs, but the RG Z'Gok is a lot of fun and looks good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rg zaku 2 is pretty fun. Still waiting on that Rg gouf and ground Gundam though Bandai

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

numerrik posted:

I like mobile suits more than gundams, but am wanting to stretch my wings beyond hg. Any fun RG or MG suits out there?

Tia

The MG GM Sniper II came out this year. Costs the same as the RG Unicorn, and it's pretty good. Full inner frame, neat sniper rifle, great articulation, all the basics executed with aplomb.

The Turn X is technically a Gundam, but it's nothing like the rest of them. I'd check that one out as well.

Oh, and the MG Zaku II 2.0 is a classic. Can't go wrong with that one.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

The MG GM Sniper II came out this year. Costs the same as the RG Unicorn, and it's pretty good. Full inner frame, neat sniper rifle, great articulation, all the basics executed with aplomb.

The Turn X is technically a Gundam, but it's nothing like the rest of them. I'd check that one out as well.

Oh, and the MG Zaku II 2.0 is a classic. Can't go wrong with that one.

Isn't it more that the Turn A is the Turn X reinterpreted as a Gundam?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

numerrik posted:

Tia

I've got an RG Sinanju for sale - heard mixed things but it's still very definitely not a Gundam.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
God the RE Hamma Hamma calls to me but my backlog Is taking over more of my closet!

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

chiasaur11 posted:

MG Sniper II is a very fun build. The IBO 1/100 kits are also a lot of fun to build.

Pretty much a HG with a little more detail at the next size up.

I just got two of the fine tip gundam markers and they are both dry from the moment I opened them. No ink or anything, have had them sat upside down for the last 24 hours and still nothing.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

MJP posted:

I've got an RG Sinanju for sale - heard mixed things but it's still very definitely not a Gundam.

In the same way the Gerbera Tetra isn't, sure.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Puddin posted:

MG Sniper II is a very fun build. The IBO 1/100 kits are also a lot of fun to build.

Pretty much a HG with a little more detail at the next size up.

I just got two of the fine tip gundam markers and they are both dry from the moment I opened them. No ink or anything, have had them sat upside down for the last 24 hours and still nothing.

You pressed the tip in on them, right?

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I think I've decided on the MG Zaku II White Ogre as my first MG.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Midjack posted:

You pressed the tip in on them, right?

Yeah but didn't goo to far as they looked like they were going to break.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

numerrik posted:

I think I've decided on the MG Zaku II White Ogre as my first MG.

The 2.0 is amazing. My first MG was the ground-type Zaku II, and I'm doing a fully painted build of one now. Just building it entails such an appreciation for the engineering that's possible. Seeing the pistons and joints in the leg and foot are just pure :allears:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MJP posted:

The 2.0 is amazing. My first MG was the ground-type Zaku II, and I'm doing a fully painted build of one now. Just building it entails such an appreciation for the engineering that's possible. Seeing the pistons and joints in the leg and foot are just pure :allears:

The Zaku 2.0 is probably one of the best 2.0's ever made. I did Char's Zaku and it was just a plain fun build. Pretty much had zero complaints, other than the tubing being kinda annoying.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tubing is one point of contention I'll never understand. I had no problem with the RG zaku leg cables, but the way you guys talk about the bigger MG cable links, you'd think they're fingerprint killers.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Tubing is one point of contention I'll never understand. I had no problem with the RG zaku leg cables, but the way you guys talk about the bigger MG cable links, you'd think they're fingerprint killers.

After you do a murder, Build the MG Zaku 2.0. They'll never find you.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Been a while since I shared anything (currently ripping through projects to clear up my room/workspace) so I took a few pics of the knockoff Deathscythe Hell 'Ver.Ka' (i.e the redesign after EW, since those were all technically katoki):

https://imgur.com/gallery/fiGzt

There's still plenty more I could (and likely will once I get caught up) do to it, but for now it looks good enough for standing around on a shelf. Paints are:

Mr. Metal Color Dark Iron
Model Master Gloss Orange (mixed with Gloss Yellow)
Model Master Light Ghost Gray
Model Master Italian Red
Alclad 2 Chrome
Generic Dark Grey oil paint

As for a quick review of the kit since chinese KO's of legit bandai kit's aren't common here (and this was my first one): It was better than I expected. Polycaps were stiffer than expected, ABS softer than expected (though tougher than resin). Some details were a little softer than official shots (as to be expected from a recast) but because the model isn't insane on realistic details nothing looks particularly off. Everything fit together OOB without glue, albeit incredibly loose with the skirts and legs in particular coming apart constantly (no experience with the official kit so I cant compare). Clear parts looked really cloudy at first, but after a good washing and Future coat it's pretty close to Bandai quality (possibly better in terms of catching light; the drat scythe practically glows in the morning).

For someone who only does straight OOB builds I'd say the extra 5-10 bux isnt worth the lower quality plastic, flash and release agent cleanup, and joint tightening, but if you're like me and tend to paint your kits it's nice getting a master grade for 15 bux (this kit is 13 ATM on aliexpress).

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 17, 2017

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/RyujiSorayama/status/897968034693894144

I'm having uncomfortable feelings towards plastic robots and paint

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I LOVE YOU BUILD FIGHTERS

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

I LOVE YOU BUILD FIGHTERS

Hey, keep both hands on the keyboard there buddy. This is a work-safe thread.

Though Bandai are clearly getting more racy with their designs beyond the Fumina's, because that new Cherudim Gundam looks like it's popped a nipple out of its armor;

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A One Year Wardrobe malfunction

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hey, keep both hands on the keyboard there buddy. This is a work-safe thread.

Though Bandai are clearly getting more racy with their designs beyond the Fumina's, because that new Cherudim Gundam looks like it's popped a nipple out of its armor;

I dunno, I'm not sure it has enough spare rifles.

edit: Actually it's pretty subdued compared the amount of crap I had bolted on to most of my builds in Gundam Breaker 3.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Cherudim Saga is an existing design. It's the least goofy looking of the 00S2 MSVs.

What I think is more interesting about the Cherudim Saga vBF is its accessory pack, which is apparently a medley of random 00 weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've never been a huge fan of the packs that're large enough to be their own mecha. Always remind me of poorly-designed Transformers.