Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Dennis McClaren posted:

Oh yeah, that was just the previous owners guess as to the breed. I guess she could be anything. She does act like a herding breed.
Her coat is beautiful though. It's such a strange Blue Grey on a dog.

I'm just a dog color genetics nerd :3: Does she have any white spots on her? You don't see many solid merle dogs out there. Hope your vet visit goes well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
That's cool to be aware of different dog's breeds/genetics based off their coats. I looked up Merle after you mentioned it.
Yes, she does have some white spots! Some around her neck, and her back legs and rump got some white patches of fur too. Blue/Grey/Black spots/White spots seems to be her makeup.

*EDIT* Forgot to ask- are there any good puppy/dog training phone apps out there? Nothing was mentioned in the OP

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 16, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Major U.K. Newspaper has torn PETA a new one for stealing a 9 year old girl's dog and killing it, plus highlighted their god aweful yes Kill Kill Kill policy . https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/17/peta-sorry-for-taking-girls-dog-putting-it-down

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Peta still garbage i see.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
My previously 7 week old border collie/beagle mix is now 12 weeks old.

She unleashes a torrent of excited piss when I walk in, however, she's sleeping through the night and has been accident free for 2 days straight. Also I love this goddamn dog.

I took her to puppy training classes. On her second week, we did an exercise where the dog is lured to walk over unstable surfaces to build confidence or someshit. My dog took to it like a pig to poo poo and I had her doing sit, stand, lay down on a shakey training bridge, and in a big bowl.

Felt accomplished, that's for sure. I'm considering agility classes long-term, but I'm disappointed that the dog is only supposed to end up being around 25 lbs.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Cannon_Fodder posted:

She unleashes a torrent of excited piss when I walk in, however, she's sleeping through the night and has been accident free for 2 days straight. Also I love this goddamn dog.

I took her to puppy training classes. On her second week, we did an exercise where the dog is lured to walk over unstable surfaces to build confidence or someshit. My dog took to it like a pig to poo poo and I had her doing sit, stand, lay down on a shakey training bridge, and in a big bowl.

Felt accomplished, that's for sure. I'm considering agility classes long-term, but I'm disappointed that the dog is only supposed to end up being around 25 lbs.

You forgot to post a pic of that puppy

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Cannon_Fodder posted:

At least you know that she's just excited, my grandpa still rubs his dog's nose in the pee :smith:

Also there's some event spoken of in hushed whispers of one of his (blood, he's not really related to me at all) grandsons (kicking? I guess) so bad they thought she was dead

don't know who this guy is but I hate him a lot

I'd take the dog away but my akita is bad with excitable dogs and this one is quite excitable. Chill dogs she'll clean their ears and eyes gently but excitable ones she gets too agitated and snappy. I think her first owner just never socialized her at all so she doesn't know.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Can anyone recommend a youtube Channel that's a good view for starting new dog training? I guess it's hard to tell who is reputable.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Dennis McClaren posted:

Can anyone recommend a youtube Channel that's a good view for starting new dog training? I guess it's hard to tell who is reputable.

I'm not sure who's new in the game but back in the day Kikopup, Zac George, and TAB/Training Positive were all pretty good and covered a wide range of topics.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I'm not sure who's new in the game but back in the day Kikopup, Zac George, and TAB/Training Positive were all pretty good and covered a wide range of topics.

Very cool, exactly what I was looking for, thanks!
I wish there was a good dog training app out there that I could just look at on the phone while I'm outside with my dog, that tells me what to do everyday lol.

That TAB/Training positive guy is pretty good. But that voice of his is kind of frightening.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Dennis McClaren posted:

Very cool, exactly what I was looking for, thanks!
I wish there was a good dog training app out there that I could just look at on the phone while I'm outside with my dog, that tells me what to do everyday lol.

That TAB/Training positive guy is pretty good. But that voice of his is kind of frightening.

If you like really specific things to work on every day Sue Ailsby's training levels are a really good foundation and at one point there was an app to help you work through them but I can't find it anymore. There are also online dog training schools like the Fenzi Dog Sport Academy that have classes with specific exercises to work on each week for pretty much any topic you are interested in.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Wow very useful, thanks. There's so much information out there on training your dog, but not much of it is in a "Start here, and proceed through the following steps week to week" type guide. I know there's more to it than that, but Sue's series is very helpful.
It's so much fun training my puppy. I realized the other day it's similar to playing an RPG and leveling up a character. After all, you decide what skills it learns.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Hi thread! I adopted a sweet little guy from the shelter yesterday* (pointer/something mix, they weren't sure), and I had a question! He is 14 weeks old And about 8 to 12 pounds (I need to get an exact weight, I know).

I was wondering what flea products are safe for little guys like him. :3: All my kitties are using seresto collars; are they safe for pups? The active ingredients are flumethrin and imidacloprid in the dog version.

I'm open to any suggestions; I just want him to have a comfy life- he had a rough start.

BONUS PUPPY PIC! His name is "Bucky Barkes". :kimchi:

((*- I'm an adult homeowner, two other residents, one of us is home at all times. Pupper is already neutered and vaxxed. My wife has extensive experience with puppies And dogs including hunting hounds and pitbulls. The shelter also offers two weeks of free medical care should he show any signs of Ickiness. I read the thread and thought I'd prereassure everyone. :shobon:))

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 20, 2017

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My Dog2 only has 9 nipples. Her top and bottom ones are in line, then they're evenly distributed on both sides, so it's not like she had 8 and now ones missing. I thought she had 7 but then I bothered my other, larger Dog1 and she has 10 nipples. Dog2 has tiny nipples at the top that don't stick out of her short hair. I did consider that 1. Bigger dogs have more nipples and 2. Dog1 may have extra parts since she does have rear dew claws and apparently those are uncommon.

I wonder if there might be any genetic conditions that correlate with missing nipples? I don't know what I might search for or ask about though. I don't want to Google "dog nipples" and it doesn't warrant a vet visit.

Dog2 seems like a super mutt. She's ~25lbs and she's probably some sort of terrier mix. She may have some whippet in her.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Freakbox posted:

Hi thread! I adopted a sweet little guy from the shelter yesterday* (pointer/something mix, they weren't sure), and I had a question! He is 14 weeks old And about 8 to 12 pounds (I need to get an exact weight, I know).

I was wondering what flea products are safe for little guys like him. :3: All my kitties are using seresto collars; are they safe for pups? The active ingredients are flumethrin and imidacloprid in the dog version.

I'm open to any suggestions; I just want him to have a comfy life- he had a rough start.

BONUS PUPPY PIC! His name is "Bucky Barkes". :kimchi:

Congrats on your super cute pup! If you're happy with the seresto collar they are safe for puppies older than 7 weeks, just make sure to monitor him as he grows so it doesn't get too tight on him.

GoodBee posted:

My Dog2 only has 9 nipples. Her top and bottom ones are in line, then they're evenly distributed on both sides, so it's not like she had 8 and now ones missing. I thought she had 7 but then I bothered my other, larger Dog1 and she has 10 nipples. Dog2 has tiny nipples at the top that don't stick out of her short hair. I did consider that 1. Bigger dogs have more nipples and 2. Dog1 may have extra parts since she does have rear dew claws and apparently those are uncommon.

I wonder if there might be any genetic conditions that correlate with missing nipples? I don't know what I might search for or ask about though. I don't want to Google "dog nipples" and it doesn't warrant a vet visit.

Dog2 seems like a super mutt. She's ~25lbs and she's probably some sort of terrier mix. She may have some whippet in her.

Generally larger dogs have more nipples but it's totally normal for dogs to have 8-10 nipples and there are plenty with 6 or 7 as well. I harassed my 80 lb dog and he has 10.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
e: nvm

eighty-four merc fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 21, 2017

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Just checking... viral facebook shares are freaking out about keeping your dog indoors during the eclipse so they don't stare at the sun and burn up their retinas. This is horseshit, right, because no dog is going to look up or care?

*edit: dog has a g in it

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 21, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

drat Bananas posted:

Just checking... viral facebook shares are freaking out about keeping your dog indoors during the eclipse so they don't stare at the sun and burn up their retinas. This is horseshit, right, because no do is going to look up or care?

this is the most dipshit notion.

Dogs dont usually stare at the sun, unless you have a blind or mentally handicapped (soon to be blind) dog.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you guys remember back in 1994 when all dogs went blind during the solar eclipse? If you didn't buy your dog solar eclipse glasses you are a monster

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My dogs aren't outside in the middle of the day anyway since it's too hot so I've been ignoring all that stuff.

Edit: I went and read what my local shelter posted and it was all pretty reasonable. Your dog probably isn't going to look at the sun so they don't need eye protection. Your dog may freak out if they normally freak out during sudden weather changes, like sudden temperature drops or clouds rolling in. You probably shouldn't bring your dog to crowded places to watch the eclipse, because why would you want to in the first place?

GoodBee fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 21, 2017

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

My girlfriend and I adopted a neutered 1-year-old Miniature-ish (he's about 16" to his shoulders) English Bull Terrier two days ago and I think we (but mostly I) accidentally lost a lot of ground with him yesterday without realizing it.

Basically, he isn't respecting me at all anymore and is getting super territorial-seeming toward me over my girlfriend. He will still respond to her commands so I think there is hope. And he does let me walk him and feed him and generally coexist together when she isn't around, but I am having a hard time earning his respect back. Most of the time when I touch him he will tense/freeze up and stop wagging his tail. He doesn't bark and hasn't growled or snarled but he has bared his teeth at me once. He will respect me if I tell him "wait" at a doorway and sort of establish a line he can't cross, then he will cross it when I touch him and tell him he can go go through, and he will come to me when called. But I can't get him to sit, lay down or anything without physically making him. He has tried to nip at me a couple times when I was putting my hand on his back to make him sit. I wouldn't say they were bites that would have done damage if they landed, but it's obvious at this point that he's escalating the situation and seeing what he can keep getting away with.

The only other dog I've had before this I had since he was a puppy and nothing like this ever came up. Any advice on how to start making progress with him would be appreciated. Every time I try to make him respect me he seems to take it as an invitation to escalate, probably because we gave him so much ground the first day without realizing it. He's a really nice guy when he's not being a poo poo head, and we want to make it work, but are realistic and are also willing to tap out if we are in over our heads.

I feel like I've lost so much ground with him I'm not even sure where to start. My girlfriend can call him off when it gets weird, but last night we had to impound him because he was freaking in the gently caress out. He wasn't any worse for the wear this morning when we got him back from Humane Society. I don't know if we should give him a little dog house in the yard and let him live out there right now or what.

We are open to paying for obedience lessons. I think making him a little dog house in the yard might be a good stopgap to keep it from getting weird in the house while we navigate this situation. Am I wrong there?

Thanks!

e: here's a pic of the little guy getting pet by my gf.

eighty-four merc fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 22, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The question people will need to know the answer to is: "Does he still have his nuts?"

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Sorry, I thought I included that. He is fixed. Edited post for clarification.

eighty-four merc fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 22, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

You said you're willing to go pay for training, and that's 100% the best thing to do. Talk to your vet for recommendations. Explain the problem, different trainers will be more equipped to handle different problems and this will help them narrow it down for you.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Dude, you've had the dog for 2 days and he spent one of those nights at the humane society. He's not pushing boundaries. He isn't trying to take over your home. If things are escalating it's because you are escalating things instead of diffusing them.

He doesn't know you and you're trying to manhandle him into positions and he's trying to tell you he doesn't like that the only way he knows how. I just posted a bunch of people on youtube that do training videos, pick one and start from the basics. Get a bunch of treats or use his kibble and just work on "sit", "down", "wait" etc using only positive reinforcement and no touching. He'll learn you're an awesome bro and that working for you pays. Work on just building a happy relationship, play some games, chill out together.

What do you mean by "getting weird"? The rest of your post just sounded like new dog/owner conflict but is he serious trying to hurt your or is he resource guarding your girlfriend or something? If you're having serious issues already you might just need to find a dog that's a better fit for you.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Instant Jellyfish posted:

What do you mean by "getting weird"? The rest of your post just sounded like new dog/owner conflict but is he serious trying to hurt your or is he resource guarding your girlfriend or something? If you're having serious issues already you might just need to find a dog that's a better fit for you.

He would like follow me around and try to like strafe me into a corner away from my girlfriend. He was being loving weird. Like even if she was in living room and I was in bedroom me would follow me and square up with me away from her. And it's not like I was a stranger to him relative to her. I spent more solo time with him, fed him all his food, poured him all his water, took him on all his walks.

Maybe it's a new owner/dog problem, but I think we were just giving him too much of the benefit of the doubt because he's such a handsome charming little guy when he's not being an aggressive rear end in a top hat. We didn't get him from a shelter. We ignored a dozen red flags and got him from this lady in a trailer park who lives in a single-wide with at least a dozen cats, eight or so dogs that I saw, pretty sure I heard some parrots. I never went inside but what I saw through crack in the door was like an episode of hoarders. Oh, and the reason she had to get rid of him? He killed one of her cats the day before we took him home. I know: I'm an idiot.

And honestly, I was aware of all of those being red flags, but cats do start poo poo, and he was so well socialized, obedient, friendly, handsome, etc. even when we took him to park solo to get to know him before taking him home, so it was easy to favor the benefit-of-doubt narrative over being the devil's advocate.

And the reason I was "manhandling" him was I brought the lady to the humane society to get some advice when I was taking him out of impound. She apparently favors spray bottles, cans of pennies, leash yanking, ear biting and that thing where you pin a dog down to show you're boss as training techniques. All I tried was pushing his hips down for "sit" while she was there, and some weird thing where he laid on his back between my legs and I was supposed to touch him everywhere to show I'm in charge. He got really close to biting me hard there. She was saying it was because he's got me shook, but it's like it's a 40-pound dog. I know if it came down to it I would put him in the ground. I don't want it to get to a point where he bites me because I feel like that's a bell I won't be able to un-ring. So I guess in a strategic sense he does have me a little shook.

I don't think he's irreparably broken, but my concern is that we aren't in a position to help him. Right now he is back at previous owner's house for the night while we try to figure it out. It's hard not to want to help him, but I honestly am not sure the three of us can spend the night together under the same roof right now.

At this point we've decided this isn't the right dog for us, but I'm still going to speak with some trainers tomorrow to see what they think because we still want to get a dog and would like to be prepared to deal with / avoid something like this in future.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
I have a dog that sounds a lot like yours, right down to the cat killing and aggressively trying to keep people away from me, but in other situations seems almost overly confident. Dogs like this are hard, and they take a bit to figure out. But I can promise you that this isn't some dominance game, because that's not how dogs work.

The aversive methods you describe are likely to make things worse. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but at least with my dog, that aggression definitely stems from insecurity. She can't trust her access to resources (which includes love and attention from the person the dog is most strongly bonded with), so she gets overly aggressive in protecting it because it's the only thing she can do. Responding to that with further aggression only exacerbates the situation. And it's always worse in situations where the dog feels even more insecure, like moving into a new home with new people.

I think you're right to decide that this dog isn't the one for you. I'm just commenting to suggest you look a little more into modern canine behavioral research, because that will help you with even the easiest dog in the world.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Dude, you guys are basically strangers to him and this lady is having you put him in the most vulnerable position you can? You wouldn't do that to a person, you don't do it to a dog. He very well may not be right for you but to him you are the crazy pink things that kidnapped him and keep trying to correct him when he says "wtf I don't know you"

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

eighty-four merc posted:

And the reason I was "manhandling" him was I brought the lady to the humane society to get some advice when I was taking him out of impound. She apparently favors spray bottles, cans of pennies, leash yanking, ear biting and that thing where you pin a dog down to show you're boss as training techniques. All I tried was pushing his hips down for "sit" while she was there, and some weird thing where he laid on his back between my legs and I was supposed to touch him everywhere to show I'm in charge. He got really close to biting me hard there. She was saying it was because he's got me shook, but it's like it's a 40-pound dog. I know if it came down to it I would put him in the ground. I don't want it to get to a point where he bites me because I feel like that's a bell I won't be able to un-ring. So I guess in a strategic sense he does have me a little shook.

The lady at the humane society knows as much about working with dogs as I do COBOL-- gently caress all, beyond it being a thing that exists.

Of course the dog is feeling uncomfortable. He's in a new place and has a lot of things to adjust to. It sounds like his previous situation was a pretty lovely one so it's going to to take some work to help him feel comfortable outside of the zoo he was living in. He's not living somewhere that he's having to compete with other animals for attention/space/food anymore, and that's something that is your job to do.

Bull terriers are really stupid. Like, dumber than Saint Bernards, and those dogs are derpy as gently caress. You're not dealing with a criminal mastermind. You're dealing with a dog that's from one of the dumbest breeds out there.

What are the specific behaviours when you he's being aggressive? What is he doing when he follows you around? What is his body language like? My own dog follows me around like a shadow and will lie in doorways where ever I am to keep an eye on me. It's not aggression or him trying to separate my from my family, it's him wanting to be close to me and being curious about what he's doing. He's also a greyhound, and they're particularly trainable at the best of times. Bull terriers are miles ahead of my dude in that area (I've had Kenzie for a couple of years now and he has recall, wait, and lie down. Some greyhounds can't sit, he's one of them. He's also one of the dumbest dogs I've ever met). I've had some really difficult dogs in the past, and I know what that looks like. This isn't it.

Give the dog time and space. Be calm. Let the dog be a dog, they have things that they want to do, and he'll have things he'll want to do to help acclimate himself to his new home.
This is very much the go to recommendation, but it's one for a reason. It's really, really good. Go get a copy of Control Unleashed: The Puppy Program. It's totally applicable to adult dogs as well and working through it in a calm, positive, manner will go a long way in establishing your relationship with your pet. You should also look up the Kikopup youtube channel, there's lots of great videos there.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
sounds like you got a bull terrier there all right

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
decent amount of good advice here, But you are starting from square -1 here, so keep in mind it takes time. The Previous Owner clearly did not get this dog off to a good start, and so its going to be a decent amount of work.

Keep in mind THIS:

thatbastardken posted:

sounds like you got a bull terrier there all right

Sounds just like a bull terrier that hasn't hit its equilibrium yet. Very Energetic, very loving to their people. You are still working on that being his people thing. Dont manhandle the dog if its baring its teeth at you ffs. Sit on the floor and just be. Dont concentrate on training for stupid poo poo just yet, just work on being best buds at first. If the dog doesnt trust you you are going to have a bad time.

The Humane Center lady sounds like an idiot.

Please dont try that alpha male poo poo on a dog that can literally take chunks out of you if it wanted to.

Source: I deal with rescue pit bulls a ton, some former fighting dogs. Please be safe newbie dog person.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The dog is reacting like that because he's nervous around you. It sounds like he's had a lot of experiences that aren't great, and now you (a total stranger) have come into his life, completely upending it by having him spend his day at entirely new places, and are trying to make him "respect" you by physically pushing him around and putting him into very vulnerable positions. The number one thing you should be trying to teach this dog right now is trust, not respect - let him know that he can feel comfortable around you, and that you're not going to hurt or threaten him. Try and put yourself in the dog's shoes for a minute: it's been taken away from the owner it's lived with for months and been thrust into a new home with new people, and it's not a puppy anymore so it's not nearly as adaptive or trusting as when it was brought into the trailer park. He's not doing all that stuff as some weird dominance game, he does it because he's scared of you, he's not comfortable around you, he's not comfortable with his situation, and you keep touching him in ways he doesn't trust you enough for yet. Being rehomed is a stressful experience for a dog; give him a bit of space for a couple of days to get used to the new place.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

The American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior has some published position statements.

https://avsab.org/resources/position-statements/

Check out the ones on Dominance and Punishment. I didn't read the trainer one but it may be applicable to your situation.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The elephant in the room is that the dog has bonded with his girlfriend, is perfectly happy to interact with her, and is defending her from him. Imo this is far beyond articles and YouTube videos and well into needing a professional trainer.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

learnincurve posted:

The elephant in the room is that the dog has bonded with his girlfriend, is perfectly happy to interact with her, and is defending her from him. Imo this is far beyond articles and YouTube videos and well into needing a professional trainer.

this is a good point. I have run into a few dogs that just dont like a certain sex or even something as benign as deodorant choices or aftershave. Of course the whole flipping upside down thing aint going to endear you much at first.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

learnincurve posted:

After 2 days? I'm not saying you're wrong at all, I'm genuinely curious.

I thought the adjustment period for a new dog was more along weeks, not days.

It sounds like the previous owner was doing everything extra wrong with respect to training and the instructions given to the new owners were still bad advice.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Thanks for the advice.

Am I wrong in thinking that my losing ground with him is an important data point? I feel like it'd be one thing if it was like this off the bat, but the fact he has become increasingly disobedient and aggressive toward me after having initially been obedient and affectionate seems significant.

I know that I was following bad advice putting my hands on him. It wasn't a lady from humane society, it was previous owner directing me to do it. I figured she knows the dog and I would benefit from knowing what she had been doing with/to him now that I was experiencing him being disobedient. I thought someone who knew dog, no matter how crazy, would have insight individualized to the dog. Another stupid newbie mistake.

I will read up on the stuff you guys linked and speak with trainers to see if there is a realistic path forward for us with this dog.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

eighty-four merc posted:

Thanks for the advice.

Am I wrong in thinking that my losing ground with him is an important data point? I feel like it'd be one thing if it was like this off the bat, but the fact he has become increasingly disobedient and aggressive toward me after having initially been obedient and affectionate seems significant.

I know that I was following bad advice putting my hands on him. It wasn't a lady from humane society, it was previous owner directing me to do it. I figured she knows the dog and I would benefit from knowing what she had been doing with/to him now that I was experiencing him being disobedient. I thought someone who knew dog, no matter how crazy, would have insight individualized to the dog. Another stupid newbie mistake.

I will read up on the stuff you guys linked and speak with trainers to see if there is a realistic path forward for us with this dog.

Yes. its inconsequential at this point. you didnt lose it and start hitting or hurting the dog trying to teach it, thats very good.

All dogs are different friend, so trying to take one of unknown situation and just treating it like any other dog, even one of its breed is just stupid. breed stuff is just broad starting point guidelines, but environment and experience make the dog, you already know its a murderdog which is good to know which means you have a ton of work to do, and a lot more responsibility than a normal dog. That type of situation is going to take a lot of work. and honestly its not the most novice path for sure, but i will say the benefits of rehabilitating hosed up dogs ends up with some lovely incredibly loyal friends. That being said, be confident and commit if you are going to do it, Its not some stupid half-brain project that you can leave alone for a while, because if you do it wrong someone could get hurt.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Oh poo poo I somehow missed the two days bit.

Sometimes dogs really bond fast with one person, mine liked me way before she more than tolerated anyone else in basically the world.

I'd mostly take it slow but probably still go with a trainer, more your own education than for the dog's though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I feel like everyone and their mother has an opinion about crate training. Its mean, its restrictive or its great and necessary!

What is the goon consensus?