Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

some guy on the bus posted:

Hmm.. Yeah, I guess that would be a problem.

also I meant why would the waif try to have a touching moment with the wolf at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
It wasn't a serious theory. :) It was just something he threw out to make fun of the show for how bizarre Arya has been acting this season. I believe he even poked holes in it and said that it would fall apart unfortunately.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Arya didn't act bizarre until she had a tantrum about her sister, the lady of winterfell, sleeping in the fancy chambers customarily taken by the lord and lady of winterfell. She was actually pretty nice up until then, even had a rather positive and acceptable arc that involved her rediscovering her humanity and finding joy and purpose in stuff that isn't vengeance.

But then it's "you took the fancy room and didn't behead Jon's bannerman, I hate you now." and it's instantly terrible.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Preston Jacobs has a theory... that it's not Arya. It's actually the Waif. The Waif killed Arya last season and took her face. That's why she's acting so strange this season.

preston jacobs owns

Max
Nov 30, 2002

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Arya didn't act bizarre until she had a tantrum about her sister, the lady of winterfell, sleeping in the fancy chambers customarily taken by the lord and lady of winterfell. She was actually pretty nice up until then, even had a rather positive and acceptable arc that involved her rediscovering her humanity and finding joy and purpose in stuff that isn't vengeance.

But then it's "you took the fancy room and didn't behead Jon's bannerman, I hate you now." and it's instantly terrible.

Not surprising it came during a Dave hill episode.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Incidentally, given that Arya is a mega-competent fighter, what's her excuse for not teleporting somewhere she could actually be useful at? Why won't she head to Dragonstone to catch up with Jon, show him her new special powers and ask him wtf he'd like her to do? She could have singlehandedly resolved the King's Landing Knot by just removing Cersei from the throne, no fuss, really.

This wasn't even brought up at any point, Arya at no point even mentioned the fact that she could actually really be useful and maybe she could do something other than loiter around in Winterfell, a season and a half of training bullshit and when she reunites with the plot she can't think of anything to do. Sad.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Incidentally, given that Arya is a mega-competent fighter, what's her excuse for not teleporting somewhere she could actually be useful at? Why won't she head to Dragonstone to catch up with Jon, show him her new special powers and ask him wtf he'd like her to do? She could have singlehandedly resolved the King's Landing Knot by just removing Cersei from the throne, no fuss, really.

This wasn't even brought up at any point, Arya at no point even mentioned the fact that she could actually really be useful and maybe she could do something other than loiter around in Winterfell, a season and a half of training bullshit and when she reunites with the plot she can't think of anything to do. Sad.

She was going to KL to do exactly that, then decided to go to Winterfell to say her family

Then she got there and hates her family and does gently caress all

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This is all small compared to what you're talking about but she was suddenly a great sword fighter on par with Brienne despite just getting beat over and over by the Waif with a stick last season. She wanted to show off her skills in public with Littlefinger looking down at her. She seemed very cocky doing it. Preston had a problem with her using live steel which he said was the first thing in the books that taught us that Joffrey was psychotic. She had a warmer meeting with Ed Sheeran than she did Hot Pie or her sister. Nymeria took one look at her and instead of being happy, just said " No thanks" and turned around.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nymeria saw what Arya's arc was gonna be this year and made the correct choice.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think what bugs me the most is it was like, the very first conversation Arya had with Sansa where she gives her poo poo about taking their parents' room, isn't it?

Like inserting a few moments of levity would make this storyline much more bearable. Have Arya relieved/happy (as much as robo arya can be or w/e) to be home and to see Sansa, then have her slowly fall back into old habits and resentment toward her sister.

She would still be a loving idiot, but it would be easier to swallow.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Preston had a problem with her using live steel which he said was the first thing in the books that taught us that Joffrey was psychotic.

That really bothered me too. I guess it is poo poo you do in TV land, but you don't practice like that, and sure don't go like.. all out swings and poo poo like they were doing. But w/e. Just another poo poo in the wall.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
someone posted a theory I like in another forum - that the night king is a wight/seer, and can see everything near weirwoods like bran. he knows about the dragons and he actually didn't have a way to break the wall. now he's going to use the dragon to do it. tyrion was right when he said the right thing to do was nothing.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

scary ghost dog posted:

preston jacobs owns

Does anyone have a list of all his theories/delusions? I don't want to watch all his poo poo.

I mean, the books are never coming out and his views are so strange and divergent often that at this point I feel like he could just do some minor tweaks and change all the names to avoid copyrights, and release his own book series based on his fever dream interpretations of GOT.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Does anyone have a list of all his theories/delusions? I don't want to watch all his poo poo.

I mean, the books are never coming out and his views are so strange and divergent often that at this point I feel like he could just do some minor tweaks and change all the names to avoid copyrights, and release his own book series based on his fever dream interpretations of GOT.

I would buy that book.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maybe the show is incoherent because grrm's notes are incoherent?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Has there ever been a big epic story like this were the ending was as satisfying at the beginning? They always seem to go to poo poo. BSG, Lost, GOT, TWD.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They should just go full Sopranos -"rocks fall, everyone dies"

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

Has there ever been a big epic story like this were the ending was as satisfying at the beginning? They always seem to go to poo poo. BSG, Lost, GOT, TWD.

err lord of the rings, mate

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

summarizing all of jacobs' erm...work... would itself be a major project

the big contrarian ones he's known for are:
- R + L = D
- B + A = J
- Doran Martell is lex luthor

he has a huge theory playlist for virtually every character, but oftentimes they terminate with a vague "this guy is assembling portentious elements so that they can be combined for unknown magical purposes"

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 18, 2017

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

PupsOfWar posted:

- R + L = D
- B + A = J
- Doran Martell is lex luthor

Everything is actually sci-fi
Others are dying out because they need humans to reproduce
Qyburn is a Dornish agent
the Shrouded Lord is Gerion Lannister.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

while on the surface jacobs is insane, i do believe he operates with a certain (purely internal) logical consistency which can be codified Axiomatically

for instance

1) There is no such thing as coincidence

2) All characters are either
A) omniscient robots who act with impeccable logic and perfect clarity, taking no risks and making no guesses
B) hapless, pre-object-permenance babies, incapable of reacting to anything not immediately in front of them
C) preferably both (A) and (B) simultaneously

3) No action should be attributed to a main character when it can instead be attributed to a tertiary character

4) Any two characters who inhabit the same castle, city or geographical region within roughly proximate timeframes must be close confidants and collaborators

5) All characters are aware of, and have practical access to, the most esoteric and supernatural elements of the setting

6) All conflicts are directly tied into the core metaphysical conflict of the series. No character may instigate conflict on behalf of temporal concerns such as rage, lust, fear or greed

7) No character may speak or think idiomatically, exaggerate, or misremember. Therefor all dialog and internal monologue must be carefully examined for inconsistencies, as all inconsistencies indicate the presence of Schemes

8) If any mundane event is influenced by a supernatural power or item, then all mundane events of the same type must also be influenced by the same supernatural power or item

9) In-universe institutions have high academic standards and rigorous peer review, therefor all in-universe texts. including books, journals and tapestries, may be taken at face value. This does not conflict with (7) for reasons

10) agendas are transmitted genetically, therefor all feuds and rivalries (not just the comedic Blackwood/Bracken feud) remain intact and identical across many hundreds or thousands of years

Zenithe posted:

Everything is actually sci-fi
Others are dying out because they need humans to reproduce
Qyburn is a Dornish agent
the Shrouded Lord is Gerion Lannister.

Euron is Daario

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

PupsOfWar posted:

Euron is Daario

But are both of them still Benjen?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

PupsOfWar posted:

*counts fantasy expandables members*

seven goodmen, young cousin of lord twenty goodmen
still only a squire

i81icu812 posted:

Nah, there's gonna be exactly three red shirts so that we can see how scary the zombies are.

Ahahahahahahaha

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

PupsOfWar posted:

err lord of the rings, mate

LOL at the eagles rescuing Frodo when they could have just carried him there in the first place.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

The Shield. Great opening, mesmerizing middle, world beater of an ending.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
big epic story where the end is just as good as the beginning? let me describe to you the events of hit tv show Under The Dome

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I don't know if I can name any shows that are big epics and perfect throughout.

Six Feet Under, though, was the most consistent five seasons of television I've ever watched. Not all shows go to poo poo in later seasons. Just most of them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Arbite posted:

The Shield. Great opening, mesmerizing middle, world beater of an ending.

Yeah holy poo poo, this.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

I'm going to assume Rome would have since we'll never actually know.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Trabandiumium posted:

I'm going to assume Rome would have since we'll never actually know.

Rome's second season is a huge mess that was saved by its fantastic cast, but let's not kid ourselves and think it was anywhere near as good as the first season.

Band of Brothers fits the bill because it was one season long and there are no bad episodes.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The skeletons couldn't cross the lake because they'd drown.

That was dumb. But we already have a Samwell in this American Talkin, I guess JSnow could be Frodo-ish. Theon for Gollum?

So stay away from the dead marshes or you'll light little livejournals of your own

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

show Arya is in mourning for zombie Catelyn

's why she keeps all those faces

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Rome's second season is a huge mess that was saved by its fantastic cast, but let's not kid ourselves and think it was anywhere near as good as the first season.

Band of Brothers fits the bill because it was one season long and there are no bad episodes.

True, but that's because it was cancelled and condensed from like 3 seasons worth of stuff. BoB is good but it's more of a miniseries

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The last great TV finale was All Good Things.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I liked the way Breaking Bad wrapped up.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kavak posted:

The last great TV finale was Everyone's Waiting.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I liked the way Breaking Bad wrapped up.

I'm glad it did but the machine-gun car and Jesse Pinkerton still living in hell was not a great ending.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I was intensely bothered by the finale of Breaking Bad, for a lot of reasons, but it was well written and executed. I can appreciate it without liking it.

e: in a show with what happened to gus, the machine gun car was nothing imho. Breaking Bad always had cheesy action spectacle lurking within it.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think it is almost impossible to have a good start/middle/end when the length of the story arc is decided "as you go". You pointed out BoB, and yeah - that is because it was planned out and executed from beginning to end, they didn't try and stick in a few extra seasons, some love interests, blah blah blah.

I mean first season of true detective was good, and I liked the ending - but same deal as you mentioned with BoB.

I like the wire if it had ended with season 4.

People pointed out the shield, which was pretty good, although I found it really frustrating watching all the gently caress ups / unforced errors in the last season.

I dunno. TV is sort of poo poo at endings.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

syscall girl posted:

I'm glad it did but the machine-gun car and Jesse Pinkerton still living in hell was not a great ending.

I'm not sure how I felt about Jesse - I always sort of hated him tbh. Seems like he got off pretty easy at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GannerOne
Feb 25, 2014
In general most crime TV shows (& often movies as well) are awful with endings. They usually have a good set-up and pacing, but I often feel that the endings feel rushed as if the writers are trying to tie up every thread too fast. A good example of this is The Killing (season 1+2, which are the best of the four seasons). The show is pretty good, but the ending felt so off. I felt the same thing about True Detective season 1, although I really loved that show.

It's kind of the same feeling I get from GoT right now. Basically there's two books of TV show left to make, but they squeeze it into to smaller seasons. Everything from teleporting armies and ravens, to major characters showing up/disappearing (Sand snakes, Euron etc.) seems so strange. I hate it that major plot points in the books, as well as things that have been theories for years like the R+L reveal are hosed up by this. Instead of sqeezing 5 minutes of nudity or some other unnecessary into every episode the past 6 seasons the probably could have added several episodes worth of lore, back-story and story-heavy scenes into the show, dramatically elevating the overall quality.