Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

You're going to be wanting to read Betrayer as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Azubah posted:

The book is great because there's a few candidates for the title.

Some of them are utterly tragic too,

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Just finished The Crimson King and I give it a solid mehhhhhhhh. It was billed as the follow up to Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns, but it ended up just being a bunch of convoluted warp fuckery for the most part.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Try carrion throne . It really is pretty good and rises above hams schlock.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
It was good but gently caress man the whole ending I still find super underwhelming like come the gently caress on I know we spoke about it before but the hand crafted gene step brothers of the emperor forgot or never found out about a tunnel that leads right up his rear end in a top hat after spending 10000 years defending the same place..... smh

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
You can forget a lot in 10,000 years, right?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Didn't they do some warpfuckery or whatever and literally tunnel into that area?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Azubah posted:

The book is great because there's a few candidates for the title.

Yup! And he does the same thing with 'Betrayer', only even better.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Telsa Cola posted:

Didn't they do some warpfuckery or whatever and literally tunnel into that area?

Yep

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Betrayer is Lorgar to me. He totally betrays hid brothers trust (which is something he's never given before).

The delightful deceit for me is that Kharn is the most loyal character in the book despite his title.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well he'd not become the betrayer by that point, that's a long way off

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yup, that's the joke. Kharn is about the only named character in Betrayer who doesn't betray anyone.

According to the 30k tabletop books, Kharn's current moniker is Kharn the Bloody.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Dog_Meat posted:

I'm still hazy on the timeline for the heresy kicking off and the whole Magnus thing. Was it Outcast Dead where the traitor legion astartes on Terra are all under arrest because word is out about the heresy but then the Magnus webway fuckup happens? Which should mean Russ knows about Horus before being sent to waffle-stomp the Sons.

Disclaimer - Outcast Dead was a terrible book so my brain may have discarded some of the details and I could be talking utter glossia

VanSandman posted:

Outcast Dead's timeline doesn't work, at all.

I'm sure there was a scene in another novel or audiobook, where it stated it has been a while since Magnus came and hosed everything up but it was all contained in the imperial palace. In the outcast dead, that's when it finally breached the wards of the palace and was released in "the real world" when all of the Heresy stuff was common knowledge.

It was a retcon, but a decent enough one. I'll try to find the quotes.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

Betrayer is Lorgar to me. He totally betrays hid brothers trust (which is something he's never given before).

The delightful deceit for me is that Kharn is the most loyal character in the book despite his title.

How? He may have been a shifty snake about it, but he did do what he promised; save his brother's life and free him from the Nails.

As for other 'betrayals' in a book about the wages of loyalty:

- Delvarus abandons his ship to go murder on the surface, leading to a serious attack on the Conqueror.
- Erebus manipulating and ultimately killing Argel Tal after losing lorgar's favor.
- The Emperor betraying Angron's trust and abducting him away from his army.
- Horus becoming more and more hollow and unreliable in his talk with Lorgar, caring more about his glory than the actual rebellion.
- The Imperium hiding Angron's condition from him and his legion.
- Angron's spite and hatred of the psykers in his legion.
- The World Eaters' turning on their librarians, who only had the best intentions in mind. Even Kharn took part in it.
- Maybe even Cyrene (though this may be stretching things), as is implied to have abandoned the Word Bearers to join other Perpetuals.

If there was any main character that was loyal to a fault and to the end, it was poor, demon-ridden Argel Tal. Him mourning the loss of Raum was actually chilling and heartbreaking.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

The Rat posted:

Just finished The Crimson King and I give it a solid mehhhhhhhh. It was billed as the follow up to Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns, but it ended up just being a bunch of convoluted warp fuckery for the most part.

It's about the 1K Sons. Of course it's warp fuckery.

The Shai'Tan was the site of some horrible massacre? Did non-psyker muggle-humans somehow torture kill the magic humans, and their souls were somehow trapped inside the hull of the ship? That psychic fury was then revived when Ahavasti and crew went into it.

Is that more or less the gist of it?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Waroduce posted:

It was good but gently caress man the whole ending I still find super underwhelming like come the gently caress on I know we spoke about it before but the hand crafted gene step brothers of the emperor forgot or never found out about a tunnel that leads right up his rear end in a top hat after spending 10000 years defending the same place..... smh

Respectfully I don't think you are grasping fully the events portrayed which is understandable because a lot of things are happening " off screen" and are open to doubt

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

euphronius posted:

Respectfully I don't think you are grasping fully the events portrayed which is understandable because a lot of things are happening " off screen" and are open to doubt

Tell me moreee

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Uncle w Benefits posted:

It's about the 1K Sons. Of course it's warp fuckery.

The Shai'Tan was the site of some horrible massacre? Did non-psyker muggle-humans somehow torture kill the magic humans, and their souls were somehow trapped inside the hull of the ship? That psychic fury was then revived when Ahavasti and crew went into it.

Is that more or less the gist of it?

I made an effortpost about it a couple of months back in this thread, the tl;dr is that the book's plot is far from ludicrous by black library standards, it's just written a little choppy

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Finished Black Legion last night and really enjoyed it. Not much specific commentary. Still enjoying ADB's writing style.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Just finished Black Legion. Daravek felt a bit flat and uninteresting to me, but otherwise it's a solid book. Now to wait for the next one...

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

bloom posted:

Just finished Black Legion. Daravek felt a bit flat and uninteresting to me, but otherwise it's a solid book. Now to wait for the next one...

Same. I really liked the warp ghosts. Wired even by chaos standards.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Agentdark posted:

Same. I really liked the warp ghosts. Wired even by chaos standards.

I got a real "Malal" vibe off of those scenes tbh

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Weird doubt: What powered the Astronomican before the emperor got wired into the Throne and started eating psykers?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Sephyr posted:

Weird doubt: What powered the Astronomican before the emperor got wired into the Throne and started eating psykers?

It was still the Emperor. There was kind of a psychic battery that focused his energy and powered the Astromomican. He was powerful enough that he could still power the system even when on the Crusades. After his injuries at the hands of Horus, he was incapable of providing enough energy to keep the power up, and requires the psykers for that. He's pretty much there just to focus that energy now.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
The 1000 psykers a day are the batteries, the emps is like a capacitor that needs to be fed a charge daily.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just finished reading Ghosts and Bad Shadows. What do you think Abnett was talking about in the preface about making a mistake with Kolea's children? I know he aged up Dalin slightly so he could join the ranks, but that's about all I remember.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yoncy switched genders at least once so far.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arquinsiel posted:

Yoncy switched genders at least once so far.

So you think that Yoncy becoming a girl might be part of Abnett addressing his typos and implementing them as some warp related fuckery? Because Yoncy's illustration seemed to summon the daemon.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm pretty sure there was also some inconsistencies as for which characters knew the story and when. I know Curth finds out early on and keeps pestering Kolea to tell the kids, but then in Armor of Contempt it's like everyone knows.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Curth found out in Guns of Tanith, if I recall, because Gol was going to tell the kids the truth upon returning from the attack before the back of his head blew out. Armour of Contempt is where it really starts to come out, especially because Dalin was joining the ranks. He would have talked about how Gol used to come visit him when he was younger, and after Dorden's son died, he was really the only "child" in the regiment who had a familial connection with the soldiers. Plus he was in the RIP detail, so Gol didn't have to worry about avoiding him, unlike in Only in Death.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

Immanentized posted:

I got a real "Malal" vibe off of those scenes tbh

Interesting. I could buy it. It would certainly be a neat idea

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Curth found out in Guns of Tanith, if I recall, because Gol was going to tell the kids the truth upon returning from the attack before the back of his head blew out. Armour of Contempt is where it really starts to come out, especially because Dalin was joining the ranks. He would have talked about how Gol used to come visit him when he was younger, and after Dorden's son died, he was really the only "child" in the regiment who had a familial connection with the soldiers. Plus he was in the RIP detail, so Gol didn't have to worry about avoiding him, unlike in Only in Death.

Didn't Criid find out at some point on Aexe Cardinal too? Was that before or after she beat the poo poo outta Cuu

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I just want Lheorvine Ukris to still be the coolest dude since Papyrus in black Legion. All of the rest is secondary.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Immanentized posted:

Didn't Criid find out at some point on Aexe Cardinal too? Was that before or after she beat the poo poo outta Cuu

I'm pretty sure she found out as well, but didn't bring it up because Gol was still half braindead at the time.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I have got to stop buying the special edition books.

Although, ADB wrote Black Legion and signed it, so I guess that's cool.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I have got to stop buying the special edition books.

Although, ADB wrote Black Legion and signed it, so I guess that's cool.

He signed mine like the Metallica logo.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arcsquad12 posted:

So you think that Yoncy becoming a girl might be part of Abnett addressing his typos and implementing them as some warp related fuckery? Because Yoncy's illustration seemed to summon the daemon.
Could be. I've got no idea TBH.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

VanSandman posted:

He signed mine like the Metallica logo.

He's done that as long as I can remember

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
I just finished "Brotherhood of the Storm" by Chris Wraight, who is becoming my third favorite Black Library author after Abnett and ADB. I thought he did a good job handling the White Scars, even though the book really just sets up "Scars". I'm not that into the Horus Heresy books, but I thought he handled the culture of the White Scars well and portrayed Jaghatai Khan very well, as well as a human POV interacting with Jaghatai. The battle scenes fighting the Orks were pretty tiresome, but that's to be expected when Orks feature as the enemy in a BL book.

Speaking of Wraight, has anyone here read through the old Warhammer Fantasy books? The OP recommends the two books Wraight wrote about Ludwig Schwarthelm and Kurt Helborg, Sword of Justice and Sword of Vengeance but what about Luthor Huss? I've found some pretty mixed reviews online. I was also intrigued to see that Headtaker by David Guymer gets a lot of praise online and especially from Guy Haley, who included it in the BL Hall of Fame. I thought it might be interesting with the Skaven appearing in Warhammer II and Queek Headtaker being their main legendary lord. Anyone read either of those books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm pretty sure she found out as well, but didn't bring it up because Gol was still half braindead at the time.

She found out before he was brain dead and they talked about it I think. Cirth knew too. He was going to tell them and then got his head blown. I might be remembering it wrong though.