Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
They are fine. I've owned a bunch of cheap adapters, basically any of the under $50 ones are the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
2 business trips in 2 weeks, brought my camera (EM10 mk.1, 12-40 pro) both times for after-hours hiking, forgot the SD card at home. Both times. I'm really bad at cameras.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Anyone have experience with Fotasy brand adapters for Fuji X-mounts? I'm interested in playing around with some old hand-me-down Nikon & Konica manual focus primes, but don't really want to invest to much into something I probably won't use frequently. Amazon has some $20 Fotasy adapters but not sure how reputable they are.

Not familiar with those but I am a huge fan of the K&F Concept adapters. I have about half a dozen of them for various different mounts and they're all solid metal construction and tight tolerances. They all fit snugly. And they're CHEAP (a little cheaper on ebay if you dont mind waiting longer for shipping)

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

2 business trips in 2 weeks, brought my camera (EM10 mk.1, 12-40 pro) both times for after-hours hiking, forgot the SD card at home. Both times. I'm really bad at cameras.

Keep it in the camera. I keep my door open until I replace the SAD to try and limit this from happening. I did bring my camera on one night business trip only to discover that I left the SD card at home -- so my system is not flawless.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

The best sd card is the one you have with you.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Always keep a spare "break glass" SD card in your bag or strap pocket.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

kefkafloyd posted:

Always keep a spare "break glass" SD card in your bag or strap pocket.

This. I have two 32gig cards in the bag, 2 x 64 in camera.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Of course you also have to remember to put the spare cards back once you've taken the images off them.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

torgeaux posted:

This. I have two 32gig cards in the bag, 2 x 64 in camera.

I'm thinking of a kickstarter for a necklace that includes an SD card

And a nipple piercing for micro-SD

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Anyone have experience with Fotasy brand adapters for Fuji X-mounts? I'm interested in playing around with some old hand-me-down Nikon & Konica manual focus primes, but don't really want to invest to much into something I probably won't use frequently. Amazon has some $20 Fotasy adapters but not sure how reputable they are.
I got a Fotasy one too, for Canon FD to m43. I haven't transferred anything yet to really view stuff closely but it seems decent enough. I was kinda thinking stuff might've been coming out a little soft, but looking at some pics I took I think I just got the focus a bit off in a lot of my shots.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.
I'm heading out on a 11 day trip to Europe and I really don't want to lug around my D200 with battery grip and Tamron 17-50 2.8. The combination of weight/bulk/the camera being old as poo poo and somewhat beat-up are leading me to consider getting a newer mirrorless camera to take on my trip.

Ideally I want something that will take high quality photos and not make me regret carrying it everywhere. It seems like one of these four options is probably my best choice:
- Ricoh GR-II (~$600)
- Olympus OM-D E-M10 w/ 14-42 IIR or EZ lens ($700-800)
- Fujifilm XT-20 w/ XF18-55 lens ($1200)
- Fujifilm X100F ($1300)

Would one of these be the obvious best choice for a travel camera? Or is there some better choice that I'm missing?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Everyone has a Fuji boner here, and I was peer pressured into order a x100f last night.. I think that's a the lightest/smallest option if you are good with the 35mm fov. I was told that the optical wide/tele converters are nice as well.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 20, 2017

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I took my X100f on a three week trip to the UK and didn't regret it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Trevor Hale posted:

I took my X100f on a three week trip to the UK and didn't regret it.

Did you love it though

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Google Butt posted:

Did you love it though

I did. I did love it. Over a bottle of prosecco, overlooking the Brighton coast, I loved it very much. And it loved me back.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

alakath posted:

I'm heading out on a 11 day trip to Europe and I really don't want to lug around my D200 with battery grip and Tamron 17-50 2.8. The combination of weight/bulk/the camera being old as poo poo and somewhat beat-up are leading me to consider getting a newer mirrorless camera to take on my trip.

Ideally I want something that will take high quality photos and not make me regret carrying it everywhere. It seems like one of these four options is probably my best choice:
- Ricoh GR-II (~$600)
- Fujifilm X100F ($1300)

Would one of these be the obvious best choice for a travel camera? Or is there some better choice that I'm missing?

uhh that em-10 price is ridiculous, mark2? Best for pocket around if you want an ILC with the various pancakes.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

uhh that em-10 price is ridiculous, mark2? Best for pocket around if you want an ILC with the various pancakes.

Yeah, that's the mk2 price. If the mk2 is not actually a noticeable improvement/worth the cost I have no problem buying an older model or used.

Everyone seems to love the XT-100F, but I feel weird paying $1,300 for a fixed lens camera when the seemingly similar XT-20 with a lens is $1,200, or the similarly positively reviewed GR-II is $600. Is it really that great?

mes
Apr 28, 2006

alakath posted:

Yeah, that's the mk2 price. If the mk2 is not actually a noticeable improvement/worth the cost I have no problem buying an older model or used.

Everyone seems to love the XT-100F, but I feel weird paying $1,300 for a fixed lens camera when the seemingly similar XT-20 with a lens is $1,200, or the similarly positively reviewed GR-II is $600. Is it really that great?

The X100F is great if a 35mm (equiv) focal length is mostly what you end up defaulting on. I sold my X-T2 setup (18-55 kit lens and 16mm f/1.4) to free up some cash and get the X100F and don't regret it at all. The Ricoh GR is a good camera, it's just long in the tooth as far as sensor performance where the f/2.8 lens doesn't help. The Ricoh GR is very much a P&S style camera though where as the X100F is a miniaturized version of Fuji's flagship cameras, meaning that it still retains all the control.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

alakath posted:

I just got the XT20 with the 18-55 lens recently and I love it and all, but I've also been to Europe on a 10 day trip before. I'd pick up the X100F if I was going back over. My S110 was good enough back when, and the weight of the XT20 with that lens is just a bit too much. Maybe if you/I got a fast prime for it, might be different.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

alakath posted:

It sounds weird to get a fixed lens camera but the x100f is a bit more flexible thab it looks with the lens converters you basically have 28, 35, 50, 70ish and 100mm f/2 lenses (the last two are jpeg only using the digital teleconverter) in a package the of the Trader Joe's salad I'm eating for lunch. The xt-20 is a nice camera for sure. Basically anything will be lighter and better than the D200, I know because I use one all day at work.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Google Butt posted:

Everyone has a Fuji boner here

I was a Sony user before this thread got me to try an X-T2. I still have my Sony equipment, but I use my X-T2 90% of the time.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
My wife and I have been very happy with our G85 fwiw.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Mest0r posted:

The Ricoh GR is a good camera, it's just long in the tooth as far as sensor performance where the f/2.8 lens doesn't help. The Ricoh GR is very much a P&S style camera though where as the X100F is a miniaturized version of Fuji's flagship cameras, meaning that it still retains all the control.

The GR has fantastic controls; I don't think I've ever heard bad things about the controls from anyone that's used one.

I felt that the sensor was fine (more than adequate), but autofocus was pretty awful especially in low light. If money is a concern you can just buy the GR - they're practically the same camera but much cheaper.

You'd have to try it once to know, but I personally found having a fixed focal length to be quite limiting for travel.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Kenny Logins posted:

I just got the XT20 with the 18-55 lens recently and I love it and all, but I've also been to Europe on a 10 day trip before. I'd pick up the X100F if I was going back over. My S110 was good enough back when, and the weight of the XT20 with that lens is just a bit too much. Maybe if you/I got a fast prime for it, might be different.

What a crazy world we live in when someone can complain an x-t20 with kit lens is too heavy!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

bobfather posted:

What a crazy world we live in when someone can complain an x-t20 with kit lens is too heavy!
Yeah, I know. It's not really that bad BUT the X100F is extant.

Also I was a huge wimp when we were going full out through London and Paris, so. If you're not, your mileage will vary.

I guess I'd follow up by saying if you were looking longterm to upgrade your main shooter anyway then go X-T20. But I got the strong message of "recommend me a travel camera I won't hate the weight of". I'm not sure I'd travel with mine, if only because I'd worry about wear and tear or losing it somehow.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 20, 2017

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

alakath posted:

- Ricoh GR-II (~$600)
- Fujifilm X100F ($1300)

Used OLY or FUJI camera..

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

rawrr posted:

The GR has fantastic controls; I don't think I've ever heard bad things about the controls from anyone that's used one.

I felt that the sensor was fine (more than adequate), but autofocus was pretty awful especially in low light. If money is a concern you can just buy the GR - they're practically the same camera but much cheaper.

You'd have to try it once to know, but I personally found having a fixed focal length to be quite limiting for travel.

The x100f has autofocus on par with my xpro2. I like the GR (I haven't used one but I recomend it a lot to people) but it's very much a simpler camera with a ton more constraints than the x100 series.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

Just to give everyone an update, turns out my local Best Buy has both the OM-D E-M10 Mk2 and the XT-20. I'm going to swing by after work tomorrow and see what I think about them in-person and then report back.

Thanks for all the info so far!

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Olympus refurb/outlet (http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/outlet.html) is pretty very short on bodies at the moment, but will sell you an E-M5 II + the collapsible 14-42 power zoom for $800. You can definitely go cheaper to start out with M4/3 (E-M10 refurbs are usually $300 or so), but 650 for the E-M5 II is a better deal than paying MSRP for an E-M10. They also have the 40-150mm f4-5.6 zoom for $60, which is pretty easy to throw in your kit even if you don't expect to use it much.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Well, I hopped on the Fuji train and also got myself an X100F. It's pretty darn cool.

Does anybody have any recommended third party NP-W126/S battery brands? I've read about the Wasabi batteries swelling. Even though they're cheap, I'd rather not have to deal with swelling batteries...

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

lol if I had disposable income $200 is about the right price for the air module

as wildly lovely the concept was

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

lol if I had disposable income $200 is about the right price for the air module

as wildly lovely the concept was

Yeah I'm still not really sure what the idea exactly was with this and olympus never really seemed to market it at all.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

DJExile posted:

Yeah I'm still not really sure what the idea exactly was with this and olympus never really seemed to market it at all.

The idea was to sell it with a pancake-ish lens and compete with Sony's bevy of equally stupid smartphone-attached cameras, but with a M43 sensor instead of APS-C or 1/2.3"

I mean I get wanting to use a smartphone interface to replace the camera's, but uh, it's a pain in the dick to carry around lenses in your pocket, and this thing ain't small nor very capable (1080/30p lol)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

The idea was to sell it with a pancake-ish lens and compete with Sony's bevy of equally stupid smartphone-attached cameras, but with a M43 sensor instead of APS-C or 1/2.3"

I mean I get wanting to use a smartphone interface to replace the camera's, but uh, it's a pain in the dick to carry around lenses in your pocket, and this thing ain't small nor very capable (1080/30p lol)
It's also round, so getting level shots is that much harder, and it has a non-interchangeable internal battery and a battery life in the range of ~300 shots (and can't be used while charging). It uses Bluetooth and WiFi so it drains your phone that much faster too.

The battery thing kind of kills it in the crib for me.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

aw c'mon, you don't want to be this dude?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

aw c'mon, you don't want to be this dude?

I've been trying to be that dude for years

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

krnhotwings posted:

Well, I hopped on the Fuji train and also got myself an X100F. It's pretty darn cool.

Does anybody have any recommended third party NP-W126/S battery brands? I've read about the Wasabi batteries swelling. Even though they're cheap, I'd rather not have to deal with swelling batteries...

Wasabi are still the best nonoem ones. I've had a fuji battery swell, that's just the failure mode for lithium ion batteries not much you can do about it. Plus wasabis are like $8 a piece.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a GR, XT-20, and D800 at the moment and the GR is my favorite by far (though obviously it just isn't the right camera for a lot of situations.) Control wise, I actually think the XT-20 is the worst of the three.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

powderific posted:

I have a GR, XT-20, and D800 at the moment and the GR is my favorite by far (though obviously it just isn't the right camera for a lot of situations.) Control wise, I actually think the XT-20 is the worst of the three.

The xt20 has the worst control scheme out of all rhe fujis too, af joystick is life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

8th-snype posted:

The xt20 has the worst control scheme out of all rhe fujis too, af joystick is life.
I'm kind of glad I never got spoiled on an AF joystick. I don't mind using the up/down/left/right around the ok button and tap to focus for the most part though.