Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Generally not much good happens to characters presented like the big three.

I can't really think of a pithy term for it but in shounen it's not uncommon for the burgeoning protagonist and his crew to meet a seemingly hyper-competent person or group on the verge of entering the larger world to much hype for them to job hideously as proof that you need some x-factor or particular trait to make it in bigboy world.

Here it's also hubris. Nighteye specifically brought Deku on to show him that Mirio is better. He can't not get owned for that.

Shouldn't that mean Nighteye will be the guy getting owned then, not Mirio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

haha

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

He just has to wrap a bandage around one finger and he's good to go.

Or do it like the French drink their wine, the little finger is usually best used for something else anyway.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Shouldn't that mean Nighteye will be the guy getting owned then, not Mirio?

How would that prove to Nighteye that Mirio wasn't a better choice than Deku though?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rhonne posted:

How would that prove to Nighteye that Mirio wasn't a better choice than Deku though?

deku proving himself better than mirio would be nighteye getting owned

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Rhonne posted:

I'm starting to think that Mirio won't die, but will too cautious at a critical moment and gives the villains a great advantage. Then Deku will push through to save the day at risk to himself. Nighteye is seeing the Mirio's technical prowess as the reason he should have been All Might's successor, but both he and Mirio have quirks that require precision use and have conditioned them to be too risk-averse, which is something you need less of when using OfA. Deku has that willingness to jump in, and once he fully masters OfA, he'll be much better suited to that.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

We the readers have already been shown that Mirio has more in common with the idealized version of All Might that Nighteye wanted All Might to be, and that Deku is more similar to the Symbol of Peace that All Might envisions. Whether or not All Might's idea of a Symbol of Peace as it stands - that of one unbreakable, unblemished being - is sustainable for society going forward remains to be seen, but Nighteye's way will probably not be the answer.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Terper posted:

We the readers have already been shown that Mirio has more in common with the idealized version of All Might that Nighteye wanted All Might to be, and that Deku is more similar to the Symbol of Peace that All Might envisions. Whether or not All Might's idea of a Symbol of Peace as it stands - that of one unbreakable, unblemished being - is sustainable for society going forward remains to be seen, but Nighteye's way will probably not be the answer.

All Might never said that Deku is similar to the Symbol of Peace he wanted. Just that he picked Deku and belives he will be able to do stuff he can't

Though he did state earlier after meeting Mirio that yeah had he not met Deku first and given One for All to him, he probably would have picked Mirio. But as he also stated guys like Todoroki and Mirio are going to become great heroes anyway.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I never claimed All Might ever stated anything to that effect (well, he told his mom that he truly believes Deku will replace him). It is their actions that speak, and Deku has shown to act more like how All Might would.

Terper fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 18, 2017

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

You mean people don't usually extend the pinky finger to do that? :wotwot:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MonsterEnvy posted:

But as he also stated guys like Todoroki and Mirio are going to become great heroes anyway.

This statement is why I don't think it's necessary for Mirio to get owned or whatever to prove Nighteye's assessment as wrong. If All Might had picked Mirio, Deku wouldn't have been able to become a hero due to being quirkless. All Might picking Deku allows both Mirio and Deku to be good heroes, and Deku proving himself as a wonderful hero should be enough to prove to Nighteye the correctness of All Might's decision independent of Mirio getting wrecked or not.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Well they don't think Deku needs to be a Hero, they think he needs to be the Hero, and that's probably where Nighteye believes he has a point. There's no doubting that en-quirked Deku and Mirio would both become heroes, probably quite good heroes, but All Might and Nighteye are still working under the assumption that One for All's owner needs to be a pillar of justice and not just another highly ranked hero.

Of course we know from the very first bit of text in the manga that Deku becomes the best but Nighteye's worries aren't without merit; right now he's just a spirited kid who keeps destroying his body and is something of a pushover at times, whereas Mirio is charismatic, muscular, and talented.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't know that All Might is working under that assumption anymore. He willingly took a job as a teacher at UA, which implies he's got an understanding that present day hero society only works if there's a goodly number of competent heroes with the proper education. If he simply wanted to create another Atlas-Carrying-The-World Pillar of Justice, he could have very easily taken a more reclusive, one-on-one approach like Gran Torino does. The reveal of his true health condition to the public after the AfO fight should also push him away from that theory of heroism, since it revealed the crippling weakness of a society that depends on one individual for stability.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder how Mirio's power would have blended with All-Might's?
A super-strong guy who can't be touched would be pretty awesome.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I kinda wonder how any quirk with OFA would work; the idea is that the original quirk lets you stockpile accumulated power and it fused with a quirk that lets you pass down your quirk, so would any future Mirio successors have super strength + intangibility?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't think so because it's hinted or possibly said that Nana had her own Quirk already, also it'd mean that every previous OfA user was Quirkless and I'm not sure that's likely.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Sure but most likely he has to activate it which gives Mirio the advantage of knowing when he'll be tangible. Or if it's like Shigraki's where only his hand can activate his ability he wouldn't even be able to time when Mirio punches him from behind or wherever.

He's completely blind when he does it afaik, all it takes is Overhaul doing one unexpected thing and he'll go to pieces

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Overhaul is gonna pull a JoJo and rip his arm to hit Mirio outside of his expected reach.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
All Might doesn't say he definitely would have picked Mirio. He just thinks that Mirio could have been the one he picked- he doesn't know anything about him otherwise since they never met.

I don't really think the takeaway here is gonna be "Well Midoriya is just as good a choice as Mirio".

Midoriya is better than Mirio. He's going to have been the superior choice. Full stop. He has something that Mirio doesn't- namely the mental/emotional component that Nighteye himself admits he couldn't understand.

This shortcoming has to be acknowledged, and I'm not sure where this happens other than Mirio failing somehow. Deku showing him up is basically the same thing.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, right. Toga is the kind of person who would get naked even if she didn't have to.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Watching this week's episode reminds me how much I love that Nana gets an early cameo in All Might's fantasy.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Man, next season is gonna be a trip. It basically has to cover from the training camp all the way to I BELIEVE IN ALL-MIGHT. gently caress, that's gonna be powerful when it's translated into animation.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also that "One Bitten Twice Shy" joke should be the new thread title.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

lol

I'm assuming this season's anime is covering the student/teacher tests?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
They're in the OP and the next episode is going to lead into them, so yes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Also that "One Bitten Twice Shy" joke should be the new thread title.

If the current one still fits with it, sure.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Vigilante-Boku-no-Hero-Academia-Illegals/011---Mask?id=379362

The mystery of Stain's nose, finally solved.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That was about what I was expecting, but still pretty rad.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It seemed like a pretty big jump from being weird and getting punched in the nose to going batshit insane, but as always i think the rough TL had a lot to do with that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Let's not forget that he was already spectacularly insane, he's just traded one train of twisted logic for another.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Yeah, he was already unhinged. He's just even more dangerously insane now.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm catching up with vigilantes on the VIZ site and just reading chapter 2, seems pretty clear this punching guy will have no Quirk. Maybe that was stated already? He's fighting Aizawa currently and Aizawa is wondering if he has a durability Quirk so I don't think it's been stated if he's Quirkless or not. I reckon he's just a hardy lad who knocks the head off punks.

e: lmao goddamn just cracking a dude with a brick is so gangster

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

So I guess that evil high school girl just has a head full of bees rather than just the eye.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

She's got a bag full of drugs, a fist full of penis, and a head full of bees

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Or she can REALLY QUICKLY dissolve her body into bees in response to an attack. Transforming an eye and part of her head into a mess of bees to limit the damage of a knife going into her body, and then reforming those organs once the knife is pulled out.

We really don't know the specifics of her quirk, it's supposedly 'call and command bees' but she also takes damage when the bees are killed, so they're clearly linked to her in some way.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

When I find myself in times of trouble
Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom
Seven bees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

EmmyOk posted:

I'm catching up with vigilantes on the VIZ site and just reading chapter 2, seems pretty clear this punching guy will have no Quirk. Maybe that was stated already? He's fighting Aizawa currently and Aizawa is wondering if he has a durability Quirk so I don't think it's been stated if he's Quirkless or not. I reckon he's just a hardy lad who knocks the head off punks.

e: lmao goddamn just cracking a dude with a brick is so gangster

Read the end of the chapter.