Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
double postin' cause https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jonh8aIYvs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress that looks epic.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Different costumes it looks like?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm glad the villain of FighterZ is going to be original character Dark Goku.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

a cartoon duck posted:

I'm glad the villain of FighterZ is going to be original character Dark Goku.

It's the fine DBZ tradition of having your non-canon villains be either a retread of a canon villain, or just evil Goku/a direct foil for Goku.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Jedah posted:

Did Goku tank the minefield of energy because he had a chi barrier up during Blue? I guess he (technically) didn't make his classic mistake of letting his guard down this time, he just brute forced his way in. Very Goku.

"Hit fights smarter, not harder. Goku fights harder, not smarter."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

deadly_pudding posted:

It's the fine DBZ tradition of having your non-canon villains be either a retread of a canon villain, or just evil Goku/a direct foil for Goku.

Hell, this one would be both, since that's Goku Black already.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

At 1:09, is that a Krillin/18 team super? I wonder if other pairings have that?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's Accel Dance but with Krillin instead of 17 so I imagine that's specific to her and is just an animation change

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Rhonne posted:

At 1:09, is that a Krillin/18 team super? I wonder if other pairings have that?

It looks like the same pose as the 18/17 team attack, so maybe that's an alternate version of that combo if you put Krillin in 18's team.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Klilyn.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Whis said back in rof that Goku and Vegeta were strong enough to take on beerus together.

Super is bad about power levels so it's not actually clear if gokus gotten much stronger since then though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Stairmaster posted:

Whis said back in rof that Goku and Vegeta were strong enough to take on beerus together.

Super is bad about power levels so it's not actually clear if gokus gotten much stronger since then though.

Goku and Vegeta have likely gotten stronger only in short, tiring bursts. Vegeta outright said before the U6/U7 tournament that they don't have a lot of growth left. Their base forms likely reached their max power or close to it by the time they became Saiyans Beyond Gods.

Their Super Saiyan transformations have gotten stronger since Resurrection "F" through mastery under Whis, rage boosts, the Kaio-ken for anime Goku and the Complete form in the manga for both of them. But they take stamina, so they can't be used forever. Furthermore, even with all of that, we haven't seen Beerus getting truly serious, Goku and Vegeta have clearly surpassed 70% Beerus from BoG but haven't reached 100% Beerus, whose power is unknown but likely extremely high, and that's not even counting Destruction, an extremely unfair move that'd turn any battle into a one-hit kill. Even without it, Beerus is still stronger in a fair fight, the manga just showed how even Complete Blue Vegeta was nowhere near enough to fight him. Vegetto Blue would definitely win, but that time limit is an issue, and it isn't a victory either Saiyan would be happy with.

At least, that's how I interpreted the situation. I could be wrong.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The power levels and the relative strength of characters is completely loving arbitrary. It's pointless to argue when the answer is going to be "whatever makes sense for the plot at the moment".

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Stairmaster posted:

The idea there is that they would have to work together as a team which they're really bad at and generally flat out don't want to do.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

working as a team to fight someone almost never happens and, before super, worked all of one time (against vegeta, tho the "as a team" part is a bit of a stretch)

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Stairmaster posted:

why didnt goku just use teleportation on spiderman

Stairmaster posted:

that would have made him look very smart and good

Asked and answered.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

It looks like the same pose as the 18/17 team attack, so maybe that's an alternate version of that combo if you put Krillin in 18's team.

Yeah the same thing could happen in Budokai 3 in her ultimate -if you use it like four times in a row krillin shows up instead of 17

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Stairmaster posted:

That was movie only. Nothing was said about that in Super.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the movies are canon because they're better.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Manatee Cannon posted:

working as a team to fight someone almost never happens and, before super, worked all of one time (against vegeta, tho the "as a team" part is a bit of a stretch)

Future 17 and 18 had a good run due to tag-teaming everyone.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Rudoku posted:

Future 17 and 18 had a good run due to tag-teaming everyone.

Yeah but in the main timeline they were obsessed with 1v1 for some reason. I think, not counting fusion because it definitely doesn't count, we didn't have anything but 1v1 battles until Goku Black + Zamasu.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Krillin+Gohan vs. OG Time stopper and Piccolo+Goku vs. Radditz off the top of my head

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
There was that time that everyone attacked Cell together to distract him during his and Gohan's beam'o'war, but I don't know if that really counts.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Hjalmar posted:

Yeah but in the main timeline they were obsessed with 1v1 for some reason. I think, not counting fusion because it definitely doesn't count, we didn't have anything but 1v1 battles until Goku Black + Zamasu.

It's because 1v1s are easier to animate.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

It's because 1v1s are easier to animate.

you do realize that dragonball was a manga first right

super has had more tag teams than anything toriyama was drawing when the manga was the main work

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Manatee Cannon posted:

you do realize that dragonball was a manga first right

super has had more tag teams than anything toriyama was drawing when the manga was the main work

Things that are easier to animate are also easier to draw too. In DBZ's case you need to consider the massively increased complexity of the fight choreography adding even one person causes.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Yesssssss, this is awesome.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I know people have made jokes, but I am really starting to actually dislike Goku. You can't even just chalk his behavior up to being a saiyan either, because here we have loving Vegeta, the Prince of All Saiyans himself, acting like a decent father and spouse.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Has Goku ever had any character development? At all?

He still just kind of acts the same as always.

Sometimes he gets mad, which is not the same thing as character growth

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
He went from denying Gohan's dislike of fighting to accepting that he's not a fighter in Super. Of course, then Gohan himself became a fighter once more, but that wasn't because of Goku.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

From DBZ onwards at least, Goku being mostly static (Though something will probably come from the "mid life crisis" aspect in Super that will probably tie into why he ultimately trains Uub) is probably supposed to contrast to Vegeta's more dynamic changes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He didn't have any in DB either.

Outside maybe the first tournament.

If you are stretching things.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
He doesn't even know when his sons were born. His own flesh and blood and he doesn't know their birthdays.

Goten, sure that's somewhat understandable, though he was with King Kai so not really, but Gohan? How in gently caress are you not present for the birth of your firstborn child?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the "Not knowing when Gohan was born" thing honestly bums me out because there's this weird thing both Toyotaro and Toei's writers have with making Goku seem like actively Modern Homer Simpson levels of stupid and neglectful

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Putting aside the potential brain damage aspect of things, it makes sense that Goku is ignorant about family structure. His parents died before he was born and he was raised by a series of old men who live alone or with a turtle or with whatever Mr. Popo is and only really taught him about fighting. Saiyans don't have an inherent sense of family so it wouldn't make sense for him to pick up on it naturally. Goku is also shown to be primarily a visual learner, and still has never been exposed to live birth. Dude probably thinks Gohan and Goten hatched from dinosaur eggs.

Comparably, Vegeta had an abnormally close relationship with his father for a Saiyan due to being a prince and all that, as well as being exposed to what might have been up to a dozen different cultures if Shin is to be believed about the size of the universe. It makes sense that he'd pick up on the idea of what fatherhood means to humans by Super, though he certainly didn't understand it when Trunks was born.

Goku is a bad dad, yes, but he also doesn't have a strong concept of what a dad or a son even is, and it's the exact sort of abstract concept that Goku struggles with in particular, so it's complicated.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

CharlestheHammer posted:

He didn't have any in DB either.

Outside maybe the first tournament.

If you are stretching things.

He was eventually able to recognize if someone was a woman or not without patting their crotch, does that count as character development?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One episode will have a smash cut to Goten's birthday party with everyone but Goku present.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TrilliontonNixon posted:

I know people have made jokes, but I am really starting to actually dislike Goku. You can't even just chalk his behavior up to being a saiyan either, because here we have loving Vegeta, the Prince of All Saiyans himself, acting like a decent father and spouse.

you mean the guy who went off to an asteroid and whined until he got saiyan so he didn't see Trunks' birth either?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
did he even know Bulma was pregnant when he left? He was gone for a long rear end time and it's entirely possible they had no idea when he left.