Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I like how the public opionion is slowly shifting towards "this series is mediocre now". I've seen several articles moaning about how the story has gone downhill in favour of cheap action scenes. Last episode's rocket raven didn't go down well with anyone it seems.

Personally I find the show is kinda poo poo now, so it stayed true to the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
There's really no reason why they couldn't have had Dany there the whole time, since she was onboard with the White Walker crap. A dragonback lookout would've been useful, and more development for Dany/Jon.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Another thing that could have gotten them out of that particular jam: horses.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
There is no possible way to make the "let's capture a zombie to show Cersei so she'll ally with us and totally not stab us in the back, which is much smarter than just killing her" plotline anything other than pants-on-head retarded.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I would've been okay with "Let's call a (phony) Great Council and show the whole continent."

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tahirovic posted:

I like how the public opionion is slowly shifting towards "this series is mediocre now". I've seen several articles moaning about how the story has gone downhill in favour of cheap action scenes. Last episode's rocket raven didn't go down well with anyone it seems.

Personally I find the show is kinda poo poo now, so it stayed true to the books.

Complaining about teleportation in GoT became mainstream

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

(...) run by a production crew who genuinely deserve better EPs than the two dignuses they're stuck with, if the behind the scenes material can be believed. (...)

Genuinely curious about this since I've never really dug into the production of the show. Do you have sources for this ?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tahirovic posted:

Even my coworkers who are still completely head over heels with the show were pointing out plot holes with that last ep. It was seriously lazily put together.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Lycus posted:

I would've been okay with "Let's call a (phony) Great Council and show the whole continent."

well, their priority has been to reduce the number of Proper Nouns as much as possible (hence the country of dorne being ruled from the palace of dorne in the city of dorne)

seems like they believe for whatever reason that the audience (which stuck through seasons 1-4 just fine) would be confused by the concept of non lannister/stark/targaryen lords existing

anyhoo I don't know what they want from cersei, even if she could be trusted, which obviously they know she can't
like what does she have left
dany blew up what was supposed to be either the entire Lannister army that sacked Highgarden or a big chunk of it, right?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Arya killing Cersei would be very hamfisted and boring. Which means it will probably happen.

Hopefully it's Jaime choking her out with that gold hand though.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Since getting back to the plot Arya basically killed one single named character, she pretty much has to kill Cersei and hang out with Sandor for her entire plot to even be remotely relevant to the story.

She's also a Valonqar.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If Arya kills Cersei I just hope she just steals the kill from Jaime.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I hope it's both Jaime and Tyrion who kill her.

Like Goku and Gohan did to Perfect Cell.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Qyburn: Your Grace, I'm afraid you are the worst person in the Seven Kingdoms. Everybody wants to murder you.
Cersei: You mean I have Starks trying to murder me?
Qyburn: Yes.
Cersei: Targaryen?
Cersei: Lannisters?
Qyburn: Uh, a little bit, yes. You also have several would-be murderers that have just been discovered - in the Red Keep.
Cersei: I see. You sure you haven't just made thousands of mistakes?
Qyburn: Uh, no, no, I'm afraid not.
Cersei: This sounds like bad news.
Qyburn: Well, you'd think so, but all of your murderers are in perfect balance. Uh, if you have a moment, I can explain.
Cersei: Well...
[looks at her wine bottle]
Cersei: [the Hand puts a tiny model castle gate on his desk]
Qyburn: Here's the door to your inner sanctum, see?
[bring up some small fuzz balls with goofy faces and limbs from under the desk]
Qyburn: And these are officially licensed character plushies.
[points to a different one up as he names each murderer]
Qyburn: That's Arya Stark, that's Daenerys Targaryen, that's Jaime Lannister, that's Euron Greyjoy, that's Varys, that's Gendry Waters, that's Jon Targaryen-Stark, that's the Night King,
[holds up one]
Qyburn: and this cute little cuddle-dwarf is Tyrion Lannister. Here's what happens when they all try to get through the gate at once.
[tries to cram a bunch through the model hate. The "murderers" get stuck]
Qyburn: [Stooge-like] Woo-woo-woo-woo-woo-woo-woo. Move it, cuntface.
[normal voice]
Qyburn: We call it, "Khal Drogo Syndrome".
Cersei: So what you're saying is, I'm invincible.
Qyburn: Oh, no, no, in fact, even one random schmuck could...
Cersei: Invincible...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The world ends in ruin because, instead of fighting the nights king, the realms descend once more into petty squabbling when Jaime kills Cersei despite Arya having, as the maesters say, "called it".

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

NihilCredo posted:

Qyburn: Your Grace, I'm afraid you are the worst person in the Seven Kingdoms. Everybody wants to murder you.
Qyburn: Uh, a little bit, yes. You also have several would-be murderers that have just been discovered - in the Red Keep.
Qyburn: Well, you'd think so, but all of your murderers are in perfect balance. Uh, if you have a moment, I can explain.
Qyburn: That's Arya Stark, that's Daenerys Targaryen, that's Jaime Lannister, that's Euron Greyjoy, that's Varys, that's Gendry Waters, that's Jon Targaryen-Stark, that's the Night King,
[holds up one]
Qyburn: and this cute little cuddle-dwarf is Tyrion Lannister. Here's what happens when they all try to get through the gate at once.
[normal voice]

lomarf

If Cersei could block out the sun in Springfield Westeros she'd do it

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

The Little Kielbasa posted:

There is no possible way to make the "let's capture a zombie to show Cersei so she'll ally with us and totally not stab us in the back, which is much smarter than just killing her" plotline anything other than pants-on-head retarded.

No more pants on head than failing to take some poor schmuck a few feet past the wall and making their own loving zombie.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This isn't like Walking Dead rules where anyone who dies beyond the wall is guaranteed to become a zombie.

That said they could probably have Thoros do it, but then the zombie would be sentient so idk.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Woodpile posted:

No more pants on head than failing to take some poor schmuck a few feet past the wall and making their own loving zombie.
Jon tries doing that in the books though, putting corpses in the ice cells and not having them turn. It seems like a White Walker needs to be nearby to either touch the body or do so with their ice winds.

Not defending the poo poo plan itself, of course, just an idea why that method wouldn't work for said idiocy.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The dumbest part of their plan was not bringing horses. Even a single horse to carry the wight.

Also sending Gendry back to Eastwatch and then running in the opposite direction. Why wouldn't they follow him? They got what they came for. The show could still have the army catch up to them (while Gendry makes it further to call for help b/c he isn't slowed down by dragging a zombie) and Dany save the day, even. But it would look less retarded.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Urdnot Fire posted:

Jon tries doing that in the books though, putting corpses in the ice cells and not having them turn. It seems like a White Walker needs to be nearby to either touch the body or do so with their ice winds.

Not defending the poo poo plan itself, of course, just an idea why that method wouldn't work for said idiocy.

Oh, forgot about that stuff. I thought the corpses in the cells didn't turn because of the magic wall, but I suppose they wouldn't know about that anyway.

Is the book out yet?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

esperterra posted:

Also sending Gendry back to Eastwatch and then running in the opposite direction. Why wouldn't they follow him? They got what they came for. The show could still have the army catch up to them (while Gendry makes it further to call for help b/c he isn't slowed down by dragging a zombie) and Dany save the day, even. But it would look less retarded.
Yeah, I didn't get that at all.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

They couldn't hope to outrun the horde while carrying an uncooperative wight. Even with all the dumb things in the episode, I don't think this is one of them. That was pretty clear.

A slightly better question is "if they knew they couldn't outrun the horde, how could they hope to survive until the cavalry arrived?". If they could see the frozen lake from there, that's fair, but I don't think they could iirc.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

NihilCredo posted:

They couldn't hope to outrun the horde while carrying an uncooperative wight. Even with all the dumb things in the episode, I don't think this is one of them. That was pretty clear.

A slightly better question is "if they knew they couldn't outrun the horde, how could they hope to survive until the cavalry arrived?". If they could see the frozen lake from there, that's fair, but I don't think they could iirc.

Yeah, but running off in the opposite direction still gives them less chance of making it out alive. The show gave us no indication they knew there was somewhere to go hide, or that anyone did any scouting whatsoever, it was just awkward.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Sandor could've thrown that thing on his shoulders. So he nibbles his ear a bit, no biggie.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
"that's the burnt side of my face you oval office"

But seriously that scene was just spectacular schlock and it was written around the cgi and the shocking zombie dragon twist. I mean the director pretty much admitted they just tried to stretch out the limits of cinematic plausibility.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, it's just a shame because the set pieces could have easily been fit into a narrative that made sense. Have someone remember a place that looks good to hole up, somewhere they had already passed by. Then send Gendry ahead to get help from the wildlings.

Earlier in the episode, but after the Dany/Tyrion heir scene, show us Bran seeing something that troubles him, and he sends a raven. Then we don't see Dany until the end of the episode when she arrives, before the wildlings Gendry has fetched or w/e, and saves the day and loses Viserion.

I hate backseat writing because I'm no Shakespeare, myself, but it isn't like they had ideas which were impossible to use in a way that makes sense. It didn't need to be stupid, but it was anyway.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

All they needed to do was have the last stand be at a fortification of some sort. Add a "we have 2 weeks of supplies" line at the start of the episode and a "that's the last of the food" line at the end and you're good.

I'm just amazed how little they seem to care about their audience.

...on second thought this is the ending we deserve isn't it

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hobbesmaster posted:

this is the ending we deserve

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

hobbesmaster posted:

All they needed to do was have the last stand be at a fortification of some sort. Add a "we have 2 weeks of supplies" line at the start of the episode and a "that's the last of the food" line at the end and you're good.

I'm just amazed how little they seem to care about their audience.

...on second thought this is the ending we deserve isn't it
They could have done it at craster's keep. Jorah could have said a few words about his father's place of death. Maybe it's vaguely protected because of craster's sacrifices, but they can't leave because they're surrounded. It would have all worked.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Lycus posted:

Sandor could've thrown that thing on his shoulders. So he nibbles his ear a bit, no biggie.

Chop the limbs off and wear it like a backpack

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

They could have done it at craster's keep. Jorah could have said a few words about his father's place of death. Maybe it's vaguely protected because of craster's sacrifices, but they can't leave because they're surrounded. It would have all worked.

That's north of Castle Black, though. They went north from Eastwatch by the Sea.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

esperterra posted:

That's north of Castle Black, though. They went north from Eastwatch by the Sea.

There's no reason it had to be eastwatch. Other than to establish that the others don't have teleporter access.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The lack of horses were pretty awful though.

I mean, I can kinda understand if resources were limited at Eastwatch, (but what could be more important than this mission?) but Dany has a literal army of cavalry maybe she could have spared a horse or two, you know?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

esperterra posted:

The dumbest part of their plan was not bringing horses. Even a single horse to carry the wight.

They brought a couple hundred? :confused:

https://twitter.com/neontaster/status/900391938582614016

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

There's no reason it had to be eastwatch. Other than to establish that the others don't have teleporter access.

First, this is a great picture.

Second, when did Tyrion use the teleporter?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Benjen should have hijacked that instead of giving Jon his horse.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

NihilCredo posted:

[holds up one]
[normal voice]

This is amazing.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious

NihilCredo posted:

First, this is a great picture.

Second, when did Tyrion use the teleporter?

To get back to Dragonstone almost simultaneously to Dany, who was riding a dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Maybe he hitched a ride?