Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Blaze Dragon posted:

That last hit of Blue Goku's ultimate should be the Dragon Fist, it's nearly the Dragon Fist. It's only lacking the golden dragon.

10x Kaio-ken God Kamehameha followed by Dragon Fist would be the most epic move Goku ever half-copied from someone else.

I recognise most of these words but cram them all together and I'm lost.

Is Nappa in the game yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Stairmaster posted:

friezas gonna cut the tournament of power arena in half with that energy slice thing he did one time

And then somehow cut himself in half again.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

sassassin posted:

I recognise most of these words but cram them all together and I'm lost.

Is Nappa in the game yet?

Goku's strongest attack in the game as Super Saiyan Blue, he uses Kaioken, punch a bit, knocks them into the air, shoots a kamehameha up at them... and then flies up through the kamehameha while they are being hit with a dramatic uppercut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTTQTiE3uC4

Bejiita-san does one of those punches that energy comes flying out of your back because it hurts a lot

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 25, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I loves Goku's hyper dimension ultimate. He goes SSJ3 for a mere uppercut then goes back to normal saiyan for a spirit bomb.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

seiferguy posted:

I loves Goku's hyper dimension ultimate. He goes SSJ3 for a mere uppercut then goes back to normal saiyan for a spirit bomb.

Check these out my dude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5TSz2j7IR0

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

I feel really sorry for the Hyper DBZ guys, they clearly put a lot of work into their game and managed to stay under the radar enough to avoid legal action. Only for ArcSys to completely eclipse them with DBFZ.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

beating a dead horse at this point but boy the latest trailer really shows how gorgeous the game is.

Goku's level 3 looks incredible.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Okay, but the parts where Vegeta goes from being dismissive to referring to characters in familiar or loving ways is a literal actual part of his development to. "That's My Bulma" for example. He still treats Goku that way because that is their relationship but even then you have the ending of the Buu arc.

Vegeta's style of speech does actually change as the franchise goes on. He continues being Price of All Saiyans Man but he lets it slip around Bulma and Trunks and occasionally around others. This is a thing even in the Japanese version. You can argue about how to best convey it but properly showing that Vegeta's chilled out among his family is a good thing.

I agree with all of this, but I think calling people "babe" and telling them to "chill K-Dawg*" is not the best way to represent his change of character. For example, "that's my Bulma!" is totally fine. "That's my sweetie!" is not. It's a small distinction but an important one.

*this might not have happened

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I'm the guy mad at things I made up.

The dub is really good, sorry weebs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

I agree with all of this, but I think calling people "babe" and telling them to "chill K-Dawg*" is not the best way to represent his change of character. For example, "that's my Bulma!" is totally fine. "That's my sweetie!" is not. It's a small distinction but an important one.

I mean it's sort of hard to actually counter the part where you keep claiming Vegeta is saying stuff he didn't say in the dub. Vegeta going "it's mondo tubular to the max, K-Dawg" would be weird but also doesn't actually happen so... yes, I guess you win there?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah I'm not seeing the deal with Babe as Vegeta does care for Bulma, but it's also used in a dismissive context, which is pretty much what vegeta does is the sub as well.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Krillin would totally say Mondo Cool in English in Japanese.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
A take so hot I need a glass of milk

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Krillin called Android 18 "Babe" exactly one time, then spent the rest of the month sleeping on the couch

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Alan_Shore posted:

Just frame this post and put it in a museum

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Jedah posted:

Krillin called Android 18 "Babe" exactly one time, then spent the rest of the month sleeping on the couch

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

Just frame this post and put it in a museum

Why? Because caring how a character in a stupid anime is translated is dumb? I don't even watch it dubbed because Christ why would I but you have people arguing that Vegeta would totally say "babe" and drat have I been owned?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Babe. Please.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Babe! Babe! Babe. Babe? Babe.

Babe! BABE

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yeah, checking those out only makes it even more clear how amazing FighterZ looks and how much effort ASW put into being faithful to the series. Quite a few of those finishers had very little to do with Dragon Ball and felt taken straight out of Street Fighter (or were, considering Goku's Shin Shoryuken), with lines that were cringy as hell (THIS WILL ONLY HURT FOREVER) or used in completely wrong situations (why the hell would Super Saiyan Goku shout TIMES TEN?) and the sprites looked genuinely ugly, though were well animated.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Why do we keep talking about Baby he wasn't even that good of a villain geeze

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Alan_Shore posted:

Babe! Babe! Babe. Babe? Babe.

Babe! BABE

Turns out Vegeta was Lotus Juice all along.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I thought something important happened but it was just more of the babe thing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It was obviously happening eventually but I believe the Blue trailer is the first time something exclusively in Super was shown in the game (SSB Kaioken ult). Hopefully this means other stuff from Super is in the game by default and not DLC.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
I suppose, as someone who does not watch the dub, one would be in the perfect decision to decide whether its localization is bad based on a single word.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

IcePhoenix posted:

It was obviously happening eventually but I believe the Blue trailer is the first time something exclusively in Super was shown in the game (SSB Kaioken ult). Hopefully this means other stuff from Super is in the game by default and not DLC.

Just give me Trunks "gently caress The Gods" transformation, thats all I ask for.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, checking those out only makes it even more clear how amazing FighterZ looks and how much effort ASW put into being faithful to the series. Quite a few of those finishers had very little to do with Dragon Ball and felt taken straight out of Street Fighter (or were, considering Goku's Shin Shoryuken), with lines that were cringy as hell (THIS WILL ONLY HURT FOREVER) or used in completely wrong situations (why the hell would Super Saiyan Goku shout TIMES TEN?) and the sprites looked genuinely ugly, though were well animated.
:goleft: The team purposely made it look like Street Fighter because there's not a great 2d DBZ game that plays like SF, which seems very obvious. Cringey lines is what this thread has been about for the last like 3 pages, and the spritework is all original - the guy doing it has worked on some actual games (they are bad ones, though).

0:37 this video - it's in DBZF too

Vegeta: "That's right boys... mondo cool."
Goku: "Im the hope of the universe, ally to good, enemy to you!" (or whatever)
Vegeta: "the afterlife frankly sucks for me."
Goku: "Sometimes my brain doesn't know what my mouth is saying...good thing my heart does"
Radditz: "Hahaha has anyone seen my arm hahaha you can't miss it, it's green"
Freeza: *removes Nail's arm* "Here, keep it as a backscratcher" (i love this one)
Freeza: "Having these balls makes me feel something that resembles joy I think... I want to caress them"
Vegeta: "I do a lot of push ups and sit ups and drink plenty of juice!" *to Cell*

tl;dr- there is precedent for cool uppercuts and DBZ guys say corny things

(don't poo poo on the Hyper Dragonball guys, the game doesn't look that bad)
e: making this list makes me realize how much i love the dub of Z

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 25, 2017

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

To be fair to people not a fan of the above quotes many of them were from the 90s Funimation dub, which was terrible and rewritten to the point of butchery such as Goku's heroic "nightmare to you" speech. By contrast both Kai and Super are being translated with MUCH more care to what the original Japanese was saying, because back in the 90s the industry didn't give a poo poo.

Still no matter what you think of Funimation's dubs the Dragonball franchise has suffered from much worse, such as in the Speedy dub when King Kai had something to say about black human beings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyT68tXkctI

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Drinking juice isn't great for getting in shape.

Injecting it is amazing, though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah I would not use the 90's dragonball dub as a defense of the modern show which is vastly different and like

not awful

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Alan_Shore posted:

I can't ever imagine you'd watch the original DBS dub and think Vegeta would ever say "babe". Talk about about a fundamental misunderstanding of the character.

*sub note: fundamental means you done goofed son*

DBS is full of Vegeta doing stuff that Vegeta "would never do"

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
What I'm saying is Vegeta saying something dumb like "this will only hurt FOREVER" doesn't seem out of character to this silly show

I am not an expert on what Bejita-san would and would not say however

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Yeah, no loving poo poo. This isn't a complicated thing and anyone with two brain cells left could figure that out. People do that in American stories too.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I can't imagine what kind of shitposting has caused this thread to bump 300+ new posts since Tuesday

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
there's a difference between punching up dialogue to make it more interesting like modern funimation (and let's be real 99% of dubs at this point) and then just writing whatever dumb poo poo that comes to mind like 90's dbz

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

extra row of teeth posted:

To be fair to people not a fan of the above quotes many of them were from the 90s Funimation dub, which was terrible and rewritten to the point of butchery such as Goku's heroic "nightmare to you" speech. By contrast both Kai and Super are being translated with MUCH more care to what the original Japanese was saying, because back in the 90s the industry didn't give a poo poo.

Still no matter what you think of Funimation's dubs the Dragonball franchise has suffered from much worse, such as in the Speedy dub when King Kai had something to say about black human beings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyT68tXkctI

That "nightmare to you" speech was legit great and an unironic improvement over the original.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oh yeah I forgot to mention itt how amazing this was

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Neo_Crimson posted:

That "nightmare to you" speech was legit great and an unironic improvement over the original.

it's so bad dude

the original dub's take on goku in general is just bland as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm pretty sure terrible parent and multiversal genocidal monster Son Goku would never say something that holds justice up to that level.

extra row of teeth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tum1P5jm_so