Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I just finished these curved front wall cabinets. Both have cherry carcasses, one had a crotch walnut front and the other quilted maple. These were way more work and took me way longer than I was expecting, so many drat glue ups and not to mention the challenges of working with curved doors and drawers. I'm glad they're done now and happy with how they turned out, not perfect but I learned a lot for future curved projects.

Yeah, those look fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Super nice. Where did you get the hardware from?

Unrelated, if anyone wants either or both of these stickers, throw me a PM and I'll chuck 'em in the mail for you.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Thanks guys.

The hinges are Brusso double offset knife hinges which I got from Lee Valley, knobs I turned on my lathe.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I bought a dozen vintage half round Nicholson files and decided to finally make a handle for one. Its made from some silver maple I got from a neighbor.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Can anyone point me toward good hardware like on this box that will hold up well to the weather. I want to build something similar for my truck for camping. I was thinking about making it out of good plywood and painting it with some good outdoor paint.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Anybody able to comment on the 2 gallon Husky air compressors? It's the perfect size for my workspace, just not sure if the quality is there.

vvvv Just a brad nailer and to spray dust off work pieces.

Spazz fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 27, 2017

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Spazz posted:

Anybody able to comment on the 2 gallon Husky air compressors? It's the perfect size for my workspace, just not sure if the quality is there.

What tools do you want to run on it?

bred
Oct 24, 2008

I think the search term you want is road case.

http://www.diyroadcasesstore.com/ cool beard
http://www.reliablehardware.com/

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Spazz posted:

vvvv Just a brad nailer and to spray dust off work pieces.

The answer is pretty much always California Air Tools on small compressors. They a much quieter than most in their size and price range.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

DreadLlama posted:

Their tritium glow stick page states that electrons from tritium decay provide energy for phosphorescence. Is tritium a beta source or an alpha source? I mean, it's the same idea in principle. If you can light a phosphor with a radioactive gas there shouldn't be a reason why you can't do the same with a radioactive powder. I think. I don't actually know anything.

If it spits electrons then it's a beta source. Betas are just high energy electrons (high is a relative term, Tritium decay produces pretty low energy electrons as far as beta decay goes).

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

bred posted:

I think the search term you want is road case.

http://www.diyroadcasesstore.com/ cool beard
http://www.reliablehardware.com/

Thanks.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Lee Valley free shipping is on :toot: I've been waiting months to place a big order.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Bought some wood today, don't really know where to put everything. Need to organize my lumber racks now. Two large boards of european oak and smaller boards of more oak, beech, ash and arctic silver birch. Never had this much hardwood.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
For a complete newbie to woodworking what marking tools would be recommended from Lee Valley while there's free shipping?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
What do you have now, what do you think you might need for your next projects? Are you primarily hand tools or power tools focused?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Quick question... if I do a proper side by side glue up using clamps etc... should that ultimately survive jig sawing?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Feenix posted:

Quick question... if I do a proper side by side glue up using clamps etc... should that ultimately survive jig sawing?

The bond of properly applied and set wood glue is stronger than the natural bond between the wood fibers. Yes it will hold up.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Maksimus54 posted:

For a complete newbie to woodworking what marking tools would be recommended from Lee Valley while there's free shipping?

GEMorris's question is a good one, but regardless I like the striking knife and the marking gauge.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/Page.aspx?p=69870&cat=1,42936,42949
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=59455

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

nielsm posted:

The bond of properly applied and set wood glue is stronger than the natural bond between the wood fibers. Yes it will hold up.

Thank you sir or madam.
:)

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

GEMorris posted:

What do you have now, what do you think you might need for your next projects? Are you primarily hand tools or power tools focused?

I have an odd table saw(Ryobi BT3000), Jig saw, some clamps, a couple old hand saws, craftsman chisels, belt/disc sander, and a bunch of other misc. tools I've liberated from my dads garage. Really I want to know what I should be looking for in measuring/marking tools because what I have for those are larger general construction grade equipment. Project wise I wanted to practice some mortise and tenon joints because I'd like to build a workbench someday and I have some scrap lumber laying around that isn't doing me any good.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Maksimus54 posted:

I have an odd table saw(Ryobi BT3000), Jig saw, some clamps, a couple old hand saws, craftsman chisels, belt/disc sander, and a bunch of other misc. tools I've liberated from my dads garage. Really I want to know what I should be looking for in measuring/marking tools because what I have for those are larger general construction grade equipment. Project wise I wanted to practice some mortise and tenon joints because I'd like to build a workbench someday and I have some scrap lumber laying around that isn't doing me any good.

Measuring and marking tools is def what I would recommend and Falcon2001's recommendations are good ones. I'd recommend getting a 12" combination square as well.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

GEMorris's question is a good one, but regardless I like the striking knife and the marking gauge.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/Page.aspx?p=69870&cat=1,42936,42949
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=59455

Good stuff. I have their dual marking gauge. It's great, but honestly, I don't think it's worth the money over the single. I have some complaints about the knife, but it's good enough, and at $16 it's a great place to start.

Also a couple decent pencils that are easy to keep sharp. I have a pair of Staedtler lead holders, but anything'll do.

Depending on what you want to build, consider a pair of vintage dividers off eBay for a couple bucks.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions! Are the graduated markings on the marking gauge ever used? Micro adjustments worth it? It's all of $8 difference but why buy more if it isn't used.

Thanks for sharing your experience on the dual marking gauge, I was considering that as well.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I ended up replacing the blades on the dual marking gauge recently. On one hand it's good that they're replaceable, on the other they're kinda pricey, and also flimsy and I have no idea how I screwed them up so bad in the first place.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I've not used the micro adjust on the lv gauge as I have a tite mark, but I can say as a concept micro adjust is absolutely worth it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Interesting little video showing how plywood is made. Intuitively I knew it was a matter of cutting veneers and gluing them together, but I wasn't expecting to see most of a tree get mounted to a lathe.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This may sound like a supremely dumb question but I'd love some pro strats in best ways to dump out orbital sander dust bins without literally covering your entire back yard and yourself in a fine, potentially dangerous dust. :/

Edit: holy poo poo I just got a shop vac a month or so ago and I didn't realize it came with an adapter for the vac.

Noice!

Feenix fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 1, 2017

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Feenix posted:

This may sound like a supremely dumb question but I'd love some pro strats in best ways to dump out orbital sander dust bins without literally covering your entire back yard and yourself in a fine, potentially dangerous dust. :/

Edit: holy poo poo I just got a shop vac a month or so ago and I didn't realize it came with an adapter for the vac.

Noice!

Occasionally I remember to wear a mask. Otherwise I use sawdust as mulch.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Feenix posted:

Noice!

Trust me, get a separator for your shop vac, or you will be going through bags super quick. Mine cost me as much as a box of 3 bags, and since I have put it on, I havent had to change the bag once.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Are there any good videos out there on fitting mortise and tenon joints? I have a lot of trouble making all the shoulders nice and even all the way around, and I also have a tough time slimming down the tenon to fit without screwing it up.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Tres Burritos posted:

Are there any good videos out there on fitting mortise and tenon joints? I have a lot of trouble making all the shoulders nice and even all the way around, and I also have a tough time slimming down the tenon to fit without screwing it up.

By hand or by power tool? Hand is tricky, although one of the books I read said that you shouldn't try and creep up on it because it gets harder and harder to saw - saw confidently close and then call it good.

By power tool? Creep up on it. :p

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Falcon2001 posted:

By hand or by power tool? Hand is tricky, although one of the books I read said that you shouldn't try and creep up on it because it gets harder and harder to saw - saw confidently close and then call it good.

By power tool? Creep up on it. :p

Hand. I just remembered this and it seems to make sense from a mechanical standpoint. We'll see how it goes.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Tres Burritos posted:

Hand. I just remembered this and it seems to make sense from a mechanical standpoint. We'll see how it goes.

That works, I usually use a shoulder plane for both the cheeks and the shoulders. Takes a bit of practice but it works quite well as you can take one or two shavings off then do a quick test.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Tres Burritos posted:

It's tough. The less fiddling you have to do, the less chance to introduce error. For me, I sneak up on the fit with a rabbet plane. I think a shoulder plane is considered the "right" tool for the job, but I don't have one. As for getting square and even, it's a combination of the plane and chisels on both the tenon and mortise, checking with my square and testing the joint over and over and over and eventually just saying gently caress it good enough. I think I've only ever had one M&T joint where I walked away thinking I nailed it.

I found The Essential Woodworker to be a really good, quick introduction to all the basic joinery techniques. The kind of stuff you'd learn in an intro to hand tool woodworking class. I've got a copy if you want to swing by and borrow it.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
For tuning up the faces of a tenon I'd recommend using a router plane.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Update on tortoisehaus: The tortoises have happily/indifferently taken to their new digs. One of the tortoises attempted to burrow through the pine. There was no noticeable damage.

The finger joints worked well. :toot:

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Interesting little video showing how plywood is made. Intuitively I knew it was a matter of cutting veneers and gluing them together, but I wasn't expecting to see most of a tree get mounted to a lathe.

Love how this video drives home the labor-destroying power of automation and Finland. (fuckin' Finns :argh:)

The combination of machine and hand labor is also neat to see, as is the extent to which the 1950s plant seems to rely on eyeballing things.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

ColdPie posted:

eventually just saying gently caress it good enough

THATS THE ONE.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I am a very bad wood worker and it's taken me over 15 hours to get to this point, but I have a shelf and some slides hopefully installed right and a single drawer installed. When I test fit a shelf it was too wide and pushed on the tracks, so I cut all the drawers down by 1/8" and now they're almost too tight in the tracks, pulling them.

In hindsight I should have built a smaller shelf for practice. Smaller drawers, smaller everything. Just to get used to working with track slides and building drawers. Having 1/2" drawer bottoms was a mistake too, it makes everything so heavy. 3/4" ply frame, 1/2" back, 3/4" drawer sides and 1/2" drawer bottoms. lovely butt joints and poor screw work. In hindsight I would have still done the kreg jig butt joints but I'd have cut a slot around the bottom of the drawers for something 1/8" or so to just slip into.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Baronjutter posted:

I am a very bad wood worker and it's taken me over 15 hours to get to this point, but I have a shelf and some slides hopefully installed right and a single drawer installed. When I test fit a shelf it was too wide and pushed on the tracks, so I cut all the drawers down by 1/8" and now they're almost too tight in the tracks, pulling them.

In hindsight I should have built a smaller shelf for practice. Smaller drawers, smaller everything. Just to get used to working with track slides and building drawers. Having 1/2" drawer bottoms was a mistake too, it makes everything so heavy. 3/4" ply frame, 1/2" back, 3/4" drawer sides and 1/2" drawer bottoms. lovely butt joints and poor screw work. In hindsight I would have still done the kreg jig butt joints but I'd have cut a slot around the bottom of the drawers for something 1/8" or so to just slip into.

Can't you just shim the drawer slides to make it perfect?