Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

those are functionally parallel dimensions. the characters literally say that goku doing this saved them. it's not really up for debate

Not the one Gowasu and Zamasu went to. What they showed us and what they're now trying to tell us just aren't consistent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's hard to give Goku much credit for letting one universe survive when he didn't really do so intentionally (much like knowing this whole thing would end with universal erasure), and it also means twelve people from seven other universes get to feel growing fear and apprehension as their numbers are whittled down, culminating so far in complete terror or utter despair.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

RealFoxy posted:

Is there any particular reason why Gohan is such a fan favorite? He had two chances, almost blew one, and certainly blew the other.

I'm a fan of how Gohan has turned out, and it's because Dragon Ball has a long history behind it.

To get into it, all kid Gohan wanted was just to study and make his mom proud. Yet he's always been forced into life-and-death situations. He'd been beaten to within an inch of his life, actually died himself, saw his dad and his friends get hurt fighting, and deal with his friends and loved ones being killed by monstrous forces.

Adding to that, Goku, the man Gohan has always looked up to, had either fundamentally misunderstood him (Cell), and abandoned him, either unwillingly (Raditz) or willingly (again, Cell). He then had to tell Chichi that Goku's not coming back, and help her raise Goten.

And yet despite all these traumatic experiences, Gohan somehow manages to be a well-adjusted person. It's no small miracle, and we have Chi-Chi and Piccolo to thank for being there for him.

Now, Gohan has a loving family, a supportive network of friends, and even a start in a career he loves. He's married to one of the richest and most beloved families in the world, he's got a movie made based on his heroic alterego, and, if we include DB Online lore, he's going to unravel the mysteries of ki that will revolutionize the world. I'm looking forward how they'll incorporate Gohan's desire to be strong to him being a family man in the future.

I like Gohan because he's proof that just because you had a crummy childhood or terrible experiences growing up, it doesn't mean you have to let it define you or drag you down, that you can move on and be better off for it. It's a very nice message for a kids show, I feel. :shobon:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RealFoxy posted:

Is there any particular reason why Gohan is such a fan favorite? He had two chances, almost blew one, and certainly blew the other.
I've never been a big fan.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

amigolupus posted:

-----

I like Gohan because he's proof that just because you had a crummy childhood or terrible experiences growing up, it doesn't mean you have to let it define you or drag you down, that you can move on and be better off for it. It's a very nice message for a kids show, I feel. :shobon:

This is a great response.

We get to watch him grow so much since his introduction as a crybaby. Watching his sweet, kind heart change the tone of a Piccolo in the Saiyan saga was fantastic, his adventuring with Krillin on namek and how his confidence was slowly growing also tremendous. His role against Cell was fantastic, a young man with a gentle heart with some insecurities that hold him back was a great setup for the arc, and when he overcomes them with the help of his dad it's a great relief when he saves the day. Goku having faith in him the whole time while everyone panicked was kinda great.

Future Gohan is a little different, in spite of such terrible traumatic world, he still hangs onto that kindness, keeps a smile on his face and is an incredible inspiration for young Trunks. No matter how hurt he becomes he still looks out for others above himself.

Gohan owns, I still see him as a little insecure with the way he apologizes all the time, but his kindness and strength is still endearing. I really like how Toriyama didn't treat him as another Goku.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

amigolupus posted:

To get into it, all kid Gohan wanted was just to study and make his mom proud.

I don't remember this. His mother brow-beat him into constant study when he just wanted to be a normal kid kidnapped and tortured by monsters.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Yo Remix did a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR6mCj-Ni70

I'd say it's about as good as the Dub of the North Star.

edit: He also said that there's a new Dub of the North Star coming soon.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 28, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

It's hard to give Goku much credit for letting one universe survive when he didn't really do so intentionally (much like knowing this whole thing would end with universal erasure), and it also means twelve people from seven other universes get to feel growing fear and apprehension as their numbers are whittled down, culminating so far in complete terror or utter despair.

ok then its hard to give goku credit for destroying 6 or whatever universes.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Manatee Cannon posted:

the cell fight

those are functionally parallel dimensions. the characters literally say that goku doing this saved them. it's not really up for debate

they said they'd be erased soon, but what exactly is soon for an almighty toddler?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Testekill posted:

Yo Remix did a thing
Hey what's going on with Remix anyways? Most of the new videos have been deleted...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bushmaori posted:

Is the lecherous old man thing a common trope in Japanese media?

Have you never met an old man? It's not a Japanese anime thing, it's a human thing. Lots of old men are perverts!

I loved his episode, master Roshi kicked all sorts of rear end. He pulled out every gimmics one-off power he used in dragonball, and it was spectacular. Kind of makes me wonder why he didn't bother helping fight Radditz, or maybe do a mafuba on Buu. It's like Dragonball Super is more dragonball than DBZ.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Condiv posted:

they said they'd be erased soon, but what exactly is soon for an almighty toddler?

An almighty toddler that is as old as time and, as the top god, will exist forever.

It's likely that he has no concept of time whatsoever, and him clearing up the universes wouldn't have happened in millenia.

Goku didn't save anyone, he accelerated the deaths of seven universes. He killed generations of people that would've lived, and didn't save the descendants that wouldn't apart from one universe, that might not even be his own. It's pretty much impossible to root for him and I genuinely wish this ends with more than just him being called out on it only for the series to backtrack and say it was totally fine to directly cause complete, utter genocide on a bloodlusty whim.

Rutibex posted:

I loved his episode, master Roshi kicked all sorts of rear end. He pulled out every gimmics one-off power he used in dragonball, and it was spectacular. Kind of makes me wonder why he didn't bother helping fight Radditz, or maybe do a mafuba on Buu. It's like Dragonball Super is more dragonball than DBZ.

By Raditz, his power was much lower than his students'. Even if he wanted to help, he was just too far behind to matter. Doing a Mafuba on Buu would've been intelligent, and this is Dragon Ball, where intelligence only appears very rarely.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Hey what's going on with Remix anyways? Most of the new videos have been deleted...

It sounds like he and Inna split ways, I'm guessing Inna asked for the videos he recently edited to come down too.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Actually demon king piccolo is to blame for all the universes being destroyed because he failed to kill goku. I hope that monster gets what is coming to him for basically destroying trillions of lives

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Actually demon king piccolo is to blame for all the universes being destroyed because he failed to kill goku. I hope that monster gets what is coming to him for basically destroying trillions of lives

In his defense, he left his son in charge of his mission. And said son succeeded, too bad death barely matters in this series.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

We don't know if goku accelerated the death of the universes though. It's pure speculation.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Blaze Dragon posted:

An almighty toddler that is as old as time and, as the top god, will exist forever.

It's likely that he has no concept of time whatsoever, and him clearing up the universes wouldn't have happened in millenia.

Goku didn't save anyone, he accelerated the deaths of seven universes. He killed generations of people that would've lived, and didn't save the descendants that wouldn't apart from one universe, that might not even be his own. It's pretty much impossible to root for him and I genuinely wish this ends with more than just him being called out on it only for the series to backtrack and say it was totally fine to directly cause complete, utter genocide on a bloodlusty whim.

This is kind of where I'm at and why I want Goku to lose.

Like even assuming the bait and switch happens where no one actually dies, Goku still shouldn't be the person that gets the chance to do that, because he doesn't deserve it. I am all for a 'surprise it was a fake out' thing but the idea that it's Goku that wins and either causes it (through a wish) or reveals that was the case, it's just like 'oh so Goku just made countless people completely lose their fuckin minds and it was all for a joke'.

But at the same time the show has been pretty clear over the last like 5 episodes that there is no one in this tournament that even approaches Goku in strength and that most people could be knocked out by Gohan and Piccolo. Goku getting a new powerup on top of that is just hilarious though.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Stallion Cabana posted:

This is kind of where I'm at and why I want Goku to lose.

Like even assuming the bait and switch happens where no one actually dies, Goku still shouldn't be the person that gets the chance to do that, because he doesn't deserve it. I am all for a 'surprise it was a fake out' thing but the idea that it's Goku that wins and either causes it (through a wish) or reveals that was the case, it's just like 'oh so Goku just made countless people completely lose their fuckin minds and it was all for a joke'.

But at the same time the show has been pretty clear over the last like 5 episodes that there is no one in this tournament that even approaches Goku in strength and that most people could be knocked out by Gohan and Piccolo. Goku getting a new powerup on top of that is just hilarious though.

jiren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRK_OMQGQlc

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

tbh the last few episodes have made me lose hope in Jiren being worth anything

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Gohan is like the kid who's parents forced them to take piano lessons from like age 3 up until they're 18. They become a master pianist, performing at competitions and winning throughout high school, but secretly they loving hate playing the piano, and only do it because their parents forced them to. Once they hit college, they proclaim "gently caress music!" And go study biology, or business.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

seiferguy posted:

Gohan is like the kid who's parents forced them to take piano lessons from like age 3 up until they're 18. They become a master pianist, performing at competitions and winning throughout high school, but secretly they loving hate playing the piano, and only do it because their parents forced them to. Once they hit college, they proclaim "gently caress music!" And go study biology, or business.

No, because Gohan actually LIKES being a scholar.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Roshi episode was really great and showed a side of Goku we pretty much never see.

Where's Frieza

also Jiren is going to be the 1v1 in the Oct 8 special and ultimately not be worth much

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 28, 2017

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

u7 is the only universe left, zeno orders u7 to fight among themselves, goku asks zeno if that means he can fight beerus, zeno says yes. goku beats beerus and wishes everyone back.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

He's talking about how Gohan was forced to be a fighter, not a scholar

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

TFRazorsaw posted:

You're misinterpreting my analogy. Gohan hates fighting but is extremely good at it due to it being being forced upon him since he was a toddler, and would rather be anything else.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Burkion posted:

He's talking about how Gohan was forced to be a fighter, not a scholar

He was forced into being both.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gohan was encouraged to be a scholar by his mother but genuine seems to enjoy it, if not his mother's all-in behavior on it. Gohan was encouraged to be a fighter by his dad and never actually seems to very much enjoy it. He's getting more into it in Super but even then it's with his family on the line. Gohan was never shown as actively seeking out or enjoying training the way Goku does and the actual fighting he seems to enjoy is dorky superheroics.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I want to see Goku win, and then instead of reviving 7 other universes finally remember to wish King Kai back to life.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

My apologies for the misinterpretation.

I've seen way too much "ugh why won't Gohan stop being a nerd and be a karate punchmans like everyone else" in my day.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It's funny how much they've tried to walk it back and say "N-no, Goku didn't doom trillions of people! They were gonna delete some universes anyway, Goku just prompted them to make the decision via tournament instead of randomly!" but Goku still looks like kind of a bastard right now.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Goku really doesn't look good. Bringing 2 Zenos together, sparking a tournament of multi-universal destruction..Not a great showing. At least ToP is shaping up to be a really good arc. The way they're hyping Gohan makes me thin he's going to be the one to end it all, so then he can go back to being a scholar forever and never fight again. Give Vegeta something damnit

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Stallion Cabana posted:

tbh the last few episodes have made me lose hope in Jiren being worth anything

Same. The only way Jiren would be interesting now is if it turns out that the reason he's not actively seeking out fights this entire time is because he doesn't want to help eliminate other universes in the first place. Go all in the Superman analogy and have him be this friendly, reasonable guy who inspires hope in others.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

amigolupus posted:

Same. The only way Jiren would be interesting now is if it turns out that the reason he's not actively seeking out fights this entire time is because he doesn't want to help eliminate other universes in the first place. Go all in the Superman analogy and have him be this friendly, reasonable guy who inspires hope in others.

His attitude is clearly not this though.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Actual question: Has Jiren even spoke yet? His MO seems to be eternally staring silently at the poo poo going on and only occasionally stepping in to do one move to show he's a badass before going back to doing nothing.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Does that One Thing/Dragon Ball Super promo thingamajig mean we'll get Goku's obligatory new form in two weeks? Somehow feels a bit early for that.

Glagha posted:

Actual question: Has Jiren even spoke yet? His MO seems to be eternally staring silently at the poo poo going on and only occasionally stepping in to do one move to show he's a badass before going back to doing nothing.

I think he said something like "Leave it to me" before dealing with Kale, but that was it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Glagha posted:

Iirc the only time he spoke was to say he would take care of Berserker Kale

a cartoon duck posted:

Does that One Thing/Dragon Ball Super promo thingamajig mean we'll get Goku's obligatory new form in two weeks? Somehow feels a bit early for that.

I think he said something like "Leave it to me" before dealing with Kale, but that was it.

yes his new form is in the special

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Kashuno posted:

Iirc the only time he spoke was to say he would take care of Berserker Kale

yes his new form is in the special

he also told goku to gently caress off

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Kashuno posted:

His attitude is clearly not this though.

Yeah, it's just so disappointing, especially from a universe that's sentai/Justice League-themed. :(

Glagha posted:

He told Goku to get lost when he came over to taunt the Pride Troopers. Which is pretty boring in comparison to Caulifla trashtalking the U7 Saiyans.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

amigolupus posted:

I'm a fan of how Gohan has turned out, and it's because Dragon Ball has a long history behind it.

To get into it, all kid Gohan wanted was just to study and make his mom proud. Yet he's always been forced into life-and-death situations. He'd been beaten to within an inch of his life, actually died himself, saw his dad and his friends get hurt fighting, and deal with his friends and loved ones being killed by monstrous forces.

Adding to that, Goku, the man Gohan has always looked up to, had either fundamentally misunderstood him (Cell), and abandoned him, either unwillingly (Raditz) or willingly (again, Cell). He then had to tell Chichi that Goku's not coming back, and help her raise Goten.

And yet despite all these traumatic experiences, Gohan somehow manages to be a well-adjusted person. It's no small miracle, and we have Chi-Chi and Piccolo to thank for being there for him.

Now, Gohan has a loving family, a supportive network of friends, and even a start in a career he loves. He's married to one of the richest and most beloved families in the world, he's got a movie made based on his heroic alterego, and, if we include DB Online lore, he's going to unravel the mysteries of ki that will revolutionize the world. I'm looking forward how they'll incorporate Gohan's desire to be strong to him being a family man in the future.

Gohan is my favorite character, out of all this him trying to get a good job and be a superhero and help people is a pretty good outcome. I can't wait to see Team Four Stars culmination of all the hosed up situations this 11 year old faced to pay off like a powerball lottery win. I want to see that rage fly like a bird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

The Bee posted:

I want to see Goku win, and then instead of reviving 7 other universes finally remember to wish King Kai back to life.

An amazing end to the arc. Just Beerus' reaction...