Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

a cartoon duck posted:

Does that One Thing/Dragon Ball Super promo thingamajig mean we'll get Goku's obligatory new form in two weeks? Somehow feels a bit early for that.

The new form is in October, not September, so its in 6 weeks from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

Gohan was encouraged to be a scholar by his mother but genuine seems to enjoy it, if not his mother's all-in behavior on it. Gohan was encouraged to be a fighter by his dad and never actually seems to very much enjoy it. He's getting more into it in Super but even then it's with his family on the line. Gohan was never shown as actively seeking out or enjoying training the way Goku does and the actual fighting he seems to enjoy is dorky superheroics.

He enjoys it when he goes full psychopath maiming and torturing Cells.

He enjoys being a superhero and a salary/familyman, but isn't shown to enjoy the studying or training that gets him there that I can remember.

Which is why his father will never respect him.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

OB_Juan posted:

An amazing end to the arc. Just Beerus' reaction...
It's freakouts like this that makes me wish they'd include announcers in DB FighterZ :v:

Glagha posted:

It's funny how much they've tried to walk it back and say "N-no, Goku didn't doom trillions of people! They were gonna delete some universes anyway, Goku just prompted them to make the decision via tournament instead of randomly!" but Goku still looks like kind of a bastard right now.

Was there a ton of backlash in the Japanese boards when it was revealed the losers would have their universe deleted? It makes me wonder if the writers were gauging the fan reactions and panicked that Goku is being considered the bad guy, so they hastily tried to walk it back.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Glagha posted:

Actual question: Has Jiren even spoke yet? His MO seems to be eternally staring silently at the poo poo going on and only occasionally stepping in to do one move to show he's a badass before going back to doing nothing.

Once or twice to Toppo

amigolupus posted:

It's freakouts like this that makes me wish they'd include announcers in DB FighterZ :v:

Was there a ton of backlash in the Japanese boards when it was revealed the losers would have their universe deleted? It makes me wonder if the writers were gauging the fan reactions and panicked that Goku is being considered the bad guy, so they hastily tried to walk it back.

Don't know about Japan but the American boards were like what the hell? We definitely were having fun going in on Goku.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 28, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
When the opening changed and the "evil goku smirk" appeared people were freaking out that the opening was hinting to a battle crazed evil Goku plot.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SirKibbles posted:

Once or twice to Toppo

I think he also told Goku that he was annoying.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it's been a little bit of a running theme throughout super that goku is kind of terrible in some ways

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The thing that strikes me the most about Goku is that he didn't show a single bit of concern about 11 other universes being wiped from existence when he first found out about the tournament, he was just excited to fight.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I really like Gohan. He's all kinds of hosed up but still manages to be a good person with a relatively healthy outlet for all his aggressions in becoming a camp superhero. It's only when he's fighting genocidal monsters that he becomes a psychopath.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Momomo posted:

The thing that strikes me the most about Goku is that he didn't show a single bit of concern about 11 other universes being wiped from existence when he first found out about the tournament, he was just excited to fight.

Well there's a ton of tone whiplash about that. Characters are out there having fun, and being good sports about the tournament but then a universe gets eliminated and the drama music starts playing and everyone starts looking really tense. Then its back to "Let's have good times fun fights!"

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Momomo posted:

Goku barely gave a poo poo that it was almost his fault entirely that Zamasu went off the deep end and literally destroyed all the universes before having Zeno come and blow that one up too. Guy just doesn't care if he gets a good brawl out of it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Kashuno posted:

Goku barely gave a poo poo that it was almost his fault entirely that Zamasu went off the deep end and literally destroyed all the universes before having Zeno come and blow that one up too. Guy just doesn't care if he gets a good brawl out of it.

It's really weird to me that Goku never got called out on his role in that despite the arc being good about pointing out other parties and their share of the blame (Bulma for inventing time travel, Trunks being the one who created the alternate timeline, Gowasu for failing as a mentor to Zamasu, Zamasu being so judgmental of mortals).

It's just much worse now because there have been a lot of points where Goku should've been called out on his actions, but doesn't. Like when the U7 crew found out the universes would be erased, they're only mad at Goku for not telling them the truth about what's at stake. There's no mention of him being the cause of it, as if Gohan or Whis forgot to tell the others that one key detail.

And while I know that the rest of the universes teaming up to take out U7 would make for a shorter story, I still find it weird how Toppo conveniently drops his grudge against Goku, or that Bergamo doesn't immediately shout to everyone about Goku's role in this mess. Like he pretty much challenged all the gods to send all their best fighters right at him.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
the thing is that even if they aren't acknowledging it, it's basically still what's happening; the tournament has literally just been episode after episode of 'a Universe steps up to challenge Goku and one or two friends from U7, then gets defeated at the end'.

The Battle Royale isn't really a Battle Royale, it's a bunch of losers waiting for their turn to get owned by Goku and a couple of friends.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
We had such hopes that the pride troopers would end the Goku menace, but now...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Pride Troopers have come off as really lovely this tournament. Hit is playing support to keep as many U6 fighters in the game as possible and U7 are constantly bailing each other out. Meanwhile the big three of the Pride Troopers have sent the majority of their team off to be wasted whilst their appalling powerful star player does bugger all. Even if Jiren plans to solo every other high-rise fighter by himself it comes off as really trashy and cowardly. Boo Pride Troopers!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Stallion Cabana posted:

the thing is that even if they aren't acknowledging it, it's basically still what's happening; the tournament has literally just been episode after episode of 'a Universe steps up to challenge Goku and one or two friends from U7, then gets defeated at the end'.

The Battle Royale isn't really a Battle Royale, it's a bunch of losers waiting for their turn to get owned by Goku and a couple of friends.

yeah for a universe with the second lowest power level, they sure are stomping on literally everyone

multijoe posted:

The Pride Troopers have come off as really lovely this tournament. Hit is playing support to keep as many U6 fighters in the game as possible and U7 are constantly bailing each other out. Meanwhile the big three of the Pride Troopers have sent the majority of their team off to be wasted whilst their appalling powerful star player does bugger all. Even if Jiren plans to solo every other high-rise fighter by himself it comes off as really trashy and cowardly. Boo Pride Troopers!

they have too much pride it's literally in their name!!!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
It seems to be, and to be honest it's completely fair that they thought that, that they weren't expecting people not in Goku's universe to jump to his defense.

Like that's insane that someone would do that, and they weren't prepared for it. They themselves even note it's super cheap that they're gonna try to beat Goku 5 on 1, but that he's dangerous enough and the fact they're literally fighting for the survival of their universe makes it so that they need to do that.

Also the Ki Whip guy saved Dypso, and Hit is at a pretty huge advantage here in that he can stop time; his ability to stop time lets him pull off rescues that other people straight up can't,.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kashuno posted:

yeah for a universe with the second lowest power level, they sure are stomping on literally everyone

The gods ranking levels have nothing to do with power levels.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

gohan is japanese and goku is anti-japanese

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Kashuno posted:

Yeah but wasn't that supposed to be like "average power level" for their universe? So isn't it more that Goku and co. are extreme outliers for U7 standards?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
One thing I noticed about Beerus is that he's been figuring how good of a team Goku managed to assemble, especially as he cheers on old man Roshi taking down 3 people. Maybe the rest of the universes were just bad at picking teams, or U7 is just really top heavy? U9 makes sense that they were poo poo, since U9 itself is a hell hole. U10 was bad since they got a bunch of gym rats and Gowasu was more concerned about making clickbait GodTube videos than assessing the team ability. U11 went for a team approach, and ended up only getting 3 good people at the expense of the rest of their team.

U6, U7 and maybe U2 are the only legit good teams.

Speaking of which, does anyone have the latest tournament scorecard?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

iirc the priest said literally "ningen level"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Glagha posted:

Yeah but wasn't that supposed to be like "average power level" for their universe? So isn't it more that Goku and co. are extreme outliers for U7 standards?

Universe 7 was forged in the heat of war. Goku and friends had to become so strong to survive the constant terrors allowed to exist in their cruddily managed universe.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

and of the universes participating in the tourney #11 (pridetroopers) has the highest level, and is also the universe with the giant thriving sci-fi city world, which kinda implies 2 me that the level refers more to the idea of civilization or progress than just the power to blow poo poo up w/ your ki or whatever

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's silly to me that u7 has so many outliers that have to be so overpowered for their universe that they can slam universes that are significantly stronger overall when you consider the enemies that have come about in the history of DB

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Mortal Level isn't power levels.
At one point someone remarks that Goku is part of the reason their rank is so low and he counters by saying that he has Gohan helping raise it back up.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Stallion Cabana posted:

It seems to be, and to be honest it's completely fair that they thought that, that they weren't expecting people not in Goku's universe to jump to his defense.

Like that's insane that someone would do that, and they weren't prepared for it. They themselves even note it's super cheap that they're gonna try to beat Goku 5 on 1, but that he's dangerous enough and the fact they're literally fighting for the survival of their universe makes it so that they need to do that.

I'd say the blame is on Kahseral for that. Toppo literally ordered him to lead the others to take down only Goku. Kahseral could've ordered Dimensional Dame to keep up the barrier so no one can interfere. And once Graviton Guy pins down Goku, Tornado Tot could've easily sent him flying. He thought it was a good chance to eliminate more people, so he disobeyed orders and paid for it.

It's actually neat that we're shown Kahseral had always thought his way was always better right from the start. When Toppo had summoned him for a team meeting to discuss the tournament, Kahseral completely blew them off because he felt he just had to take be super careful to save a couple kids' pet. Like I have to imagine Toppo had to waste their precious time just tracking Kahseral down since he turned off his communicator.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If Something Awful were a Dragon Ball universe what would its Mortal Level be?

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Raxivace posted:

It'd be erased before the tournament even began.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Raxivace posted:

It'd be way higher than the Kanzenshuu forum, that's for sure :v:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gruckles posted:

Mortal Level isn't power levels.
At one point someone remarks that Goku is part of the reason their rank is so low and he counters by saying that he has Gohan helping raise it back up.

also the scans that revealed goku's new form talked about the non-participating universes in a way that made it clear mortal level refers to some vague concept of spiritual purity

it seems like more of a barometer of how well the universe's gods are doing their job than anything

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

sassassin posted:

I don't remember this. His mother brow-beat him into constant study when he just wanted to be a normal kid kidnapped and tortured by monsters.

So what you're saying is Gohan was the first Morty?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Shocker that the universe that has a lazy, petulant god of destruction that blows planets up essentially at random is ranked pretty low. :v:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Glagha posted:

Shocker that the universe that has a lazy, petulant god of destruction that blows planets up essentially at random is ranked pretty low. :v:

tbf it's also been horribly understaffed for millennia thanks to Buu taking out the Kaioshin

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Blockhouse posted:

tbf it's also been horribly understaffed for millennia thanks to Buu taking out the Kaioshin

Shin is a dumb gently caress that never bothered to ask anyone how to do his drat job so he could maybe create life to get revenge on buu or find out if there was someone that could help him erase someone like buu completely from existence. Its a perfect gently caress-up match made in heaven of complete divine incompetence from both creation and destruction!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Much as like everything always goes to poo poo with Trunks, it's an unwritten rule that Shin is the one who hosed up his drat job.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Glagha posted:

U6 is doing okay??

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Glagha posted:

Have they ever mentioned U6's mortal level? It'd be kind of hilarious if it turns out they've right up there with U11 in terms of mortal level.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

amigolupus posted:

Have they ever mentioned U6's mortal level? It'd be kind of hilarious if it turns out they've right up there with U11 in terms of mortal level.

they said it's directly above u7 iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If anything having a low ningen level is a good thing as the beings who calculate it are horrifying monsters who must be destroyed.