Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Covok posted:

I forget, are they good wrestlers or just for their gimmicks? They usually do a rather large skit before they get into the ring that I've forgotten if they're good or not.

they're good. not like remarkably talented technically, but they use that flying japanese style that's popular lately and it plays to their strengths. plus they all have great mic skills and really amazing chemistry, those aren't gimmicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

CharlestheHammer posted:

They are also expanding rapidly into other things which probably has eaten up a lot of time

They have a bunch of crap going on but DBZA is their bread and butter and the thing most people know/care about. I have a feeling the reason isn't "personal" but who knows? If they end up wrapping the whole thing up I hope they at least finish the Cell saga first.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Alternatively DBZA stopped because they realized they weren't that funny.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It is funny so that would be weird.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

It is funny so that would be weird.
funny AND good

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've watched enough of their videos to know that their humor basically applies to teenagers that spend their days watching LPs. They're fine as an abridged thing, but humorous? Nah.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is a thread for Dragonball, the series where the monkey man named after a vegetable has battled a robot girl who waves poop on a stick. I'm pretty sure the "well, it's not sophisticated and adult humor" argument isn't finding very fertile ground here.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

seiferguy posted:

I've watched enough of their videos to know that their humor basically applies to teenagers that spend their days watching LPs. They're fine as an abridged thing, but humorous? Nah.

Not really.

And do you really want to throw shade in a thread about a children's cartoon.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

seiferguy posted:

At the start it was like that, it improves dramatically from the end of the frieza saga

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd argue that DBZA from Androids on is the best version of DBZ

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

bowmore posted:

At the start it was like that, it improves dramatically from the end of the frieza saga

I would say the middle when they incorporated jokes instead of the weird family guy humor all the other abridged series fell into.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Aurora posted:

I like Saiyan Saga Goku a lot but it's not a bad change

My Blu-Rays of Kai came in, and the goofy triangle faces and super swole bodies are great. Also tiny-legs Vegeta.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

CharlestheHammer posted:

They are also expanding rapidly into other things which probably has eaten up a lot of time

This is probably the reason they're doing serious VA stuff way more often good on them.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

DBZA after the Androids is really good, but tbh I'm really not a fan of the stuff they create originally. Maybe it's because the art doesn't mesh well with the original images

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Once again in my life I'm not going to get closure on an arc of DBZ I was expecting.

What else is new.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

In the spirit of DBZ, they've been informed that they can only get to the next part of the Cell saga if they redo the entire series up to this point.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

DBZA after the Androids is really good, but tbh I'm really not a fan of the stuff they create originally. Maybe it's because the art doesn't mesh well with the original images

No that stuff is really bad.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

No that stuff is really bad.

It's almost as if humour is subjective.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

If Trunks getting hit on by his mom in DBZA didn't make you laugh then I don't know what to say :shrug:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Bushmaori posted:

It's not

Some people are just autistic

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Stairmaster posted:

It's not

Doesn't being on the spectrum messes with your sense of subjectivity tho?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bushmaori posted:

No that is objectively bad.

Trying to graft new stuff on already existing animation is already a hard task and none of them are animators so.

Though what that has to do with humor is beyond me.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 30, 2017

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

Stairmaster posted:

It's not

:jerkbag:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i dont find dbza funny either but its talked about nonstop in here so i think its okay if people say its not good, from time to time

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Why, it serves no real purpose especially when the quality of the product isn't even being discussed.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

extra row of teeth posted:

If Trunks getting hit on by his mom in DBZA didn't make you laugh then I don't know what to say :shrug:

An unfunny, out of character, cheap sex joke is probably the worst example you could have used but this is dbz abridged and that's a good 85% of their content.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Yes it is indeed totally out of character for Bulma to flirt with people she thinks are hot.

Uh-huh.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
yea thanks for agreeing :)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Between this and the guy who was offended at the idea that Vegeta would say babe I got to say that the Dragonball fandom is weird.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also dragonball would never resort to a cheap sex joke, nope.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Aug 30, 2017

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
almost like theres a difference between "haha he stepped in poop" and "make this woman want to gently caress her son and also keep bringing it up" hmmmm

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah nostalgia. Though poop jokes weren't really a thing in Dragonball.

Most of its humor was ironically cheap sex jokes, at the expense of a 16 year old girl no less

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 30, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

But go ahead and pretend your complaint is about morals or whatever your trying to get at.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
the jokes are bad sorry man

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dragonballs jokes are pretty bad agreed. Z eliminating them was the best thing for the franchise.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Hell, at least they made DBZA Bulma feel awkard about it, canon Bulma wasn't a bit embarrased after finding out his identity.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bowmore posted:

I wonder how much patreon money they'll lose due to the hiatus

95% (of the people who keep track of who they're donating to and what those people are doing).

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Petiso posted:

Hell, at least they made DBZA Bulma feel awkard about it, canon Bulma wasn't a bit embarrased after finding out his identity.

Yep.

Dragon Ball didn't really focus on comedy by the time Z rolled around aside from maybe a handful of quick gags. Honestly I feel that's where some people get to disliking Super--if all you've seen is DBZ, you're getting way more comedy than you were expecting. If anything, you can argue about the results but DBZA at least tries to put more humor into DBZ and I say good on them for even trying.

If I have to choose which side of the fandom I want to see more of, and my choices are SSJ5 Arbuckle Goku or fan parodies with hit or miss jokes, I will always take the latter. The people who want it too serious are just bizarre to me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Maybe TFS are just getting bored of doing DBZ Abridged.

I enjoy it maybe not as much as anyone because I'm a dour rear end in a top hat but some of the material is repetitious and not always fresh. They're increasingly going towards making their own content for the DBZA with re-drawing and poo poo.

What I'd say to them as a fan of DBZA (I don't watch anything else of theirs and won't start to) is that if they're not sure if they have good ideas or if they're not feeling it would be to do the end of the Cell saga as well as they possibly can do and then say Buu saga happens if it happens and doesn't if it doesn't.

They should probably go into doing LP/Generic YouTuber content funded by Patreon money and get paid as professional VAs though if companies continue to ask them to do the dubs for them. Get themselves a proper established career on top of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don't think it's that they don't like it anymore and it's more they know that eventually it will end so they are taking every opportunity to diversify so when it does end they don't immediately die as they seem to have built their lives around doing this.

There is no evidence they are tired of it that is just fans being all sky is falling as they tend to do.