Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
One dimensional chess is checkers, ya'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Skinty McEdger posted:

Goku can't even play one dimensional chess.

Goku knows the grand priest is the strongest fighter in existence, yet he hasn't asked once to fight him. That's really out of character for Goku, he should be obsessed with fighting the grand priest, but he seemed a lot more excited for a tournament of mortals. I think he is up to something.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

Goku knows the grand priest is the strongest fighter in existence, yet he hasn't asked once to fight him. That's really out of character for Goku, he should be obsessed with fighting the grand priest, but he seemed a lot more excited for a tournament of mortals. I think he is up to something.

He was going to until Whis explicitly was like "Hey he is so powerful even I can't do a thing DO NOT ASK HIM TO FIGHT"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

seiferguy posted:

One dimensional chess is checkers, ya'all.

that's still two dimensions

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
We all know Goku will just resolve it all by punching things.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
-1 dimensional checkers

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Kashuno posted:

He was going to until Whis explicitly was like "Hey he is so powerful even I can't do a thing DO NOT ASK HIM TO FIGHT"

I wonder if when Whis said his dad is one of the five strongest people in existence if he was even including the other angels in that assessment. They don't all have the master student relationship it seems, and there is still that mortal stronger than his GoD out there.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheHan posted:

I wonder if when Whis said his dad is one of the five strongest people in existence if he was even including the other angels in that assessment. They don't all have the master student relationship it seems, and there is still that mortal stronger than his GoD out there.

My guess, that mortal is Jiren. Wild speculation, but my guess is Jiren has the ability to copy any power he sees. That's why him and Topo are hanging back until the end, so that Jiren can see as many new powers as possible before people realize his gimmick.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

His gimmick is being a rejected One Punch Man character.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

I am still banking on Goku playing some 10 dimensional chess here. He doesn't care about he tournament, he only wants an oppratunity to fight the gods. Once he over throws the celestial order he will fix the universes. The tournament is just a way for him to recruit strong allies to help fight the gods.

That's the only realistic alternative based on what we've seen on screen. His interactions with Hit during the last tournament suggest a grander, cunning purpose. Hopefully it wasn't just Toei filler.

Either Goku is responsible for the deaths of billions due to retardation and fight-lust (potentially rear end-pulling a happy ending via Dragonballs, which would make the whole arc masturbatory nonsense with no consequences), or he's responsible for the deaths of billions as part of a grand plan to put existence to rights by killing self-appointed gods... and fight-lust.

Goku, Beerus, Champa and Mighty Mouse must rise up to overthrow their monstrous masters and avenge the fallen.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

My guess, that mortal is Jiren. Wild speculation, but my guess is Jiren has the ability to copy any power he sees. That's why him and Topo are hanging back until the end, so that Jiren can see as many new powers as possible before people realize his gimmick.

If it's Jiren that's a joke. Also makes no sense why Toppo would be considered for GoD if Jiren can easily overpower the current GoD AND Toppo

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Goku has been secretly building up a Super Spirit Bomb with the ki of all the fighters, GoDs, Kais, and Angels in attendance. That new form is him absorbing the Spirit Bomb. He's going to punch the Grand Priest and be like "If you're a good person, this won't hurt you". But guess what? It's gonna hurt him.

And our next arc is gonna be the coolest fighters of all the Universes vs a bunch of evil Gods and it's gonna rule.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
surprise final battle of this arc is Zen double team vs Grand Priest, but then Zalama comes out of nowhere and is like "WHAT UP IDIOTS" and kills them all, wiping out all existence

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Rutibex posted:

Actually we do know. Before Goku got involved in time fuckery Gowasu used the time ring to show Zamasu 1000 years into the future. Their universe still existed 1000 years into the future, and it doesn't now.

Goku is responsible.

if goku wins and wishes all the universes back w/ the super dragon balls then that future still exists and he caused no harm

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
in fact it means he saved a ton of universes, so he's a hero, as is correct

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If he does I wonder how Zen will react at goku basically being like "whoa this wasn't cool"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

If he does I wonder how Zen will react at goku basically being like "whoa this wasn't cool"

I think Zeno might be really weak, with the exception of his universe buster. We are constantly seeing his weaknesses reveal themselves. For example, he couldn't see the fight between Hit and the rabbit trooper. That means someone fast could sneak up behind Zeno and mafuba him, if they got him away from his guards and the grand priest.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

I think Zeno might be really weak, with the exception of his universe buster. We are constantly seeing his weaknesses reveal themselves. For example, he couldn't see the fight between Hit and the rabbit trooper. That means someone fast could sneak up behind Zeno and mafuba him, if they got him away from his guards and the grand priest.

It's never even been hinted that Zeno is a good fighter, but rather he can just wipe out whatever he wants whenever he wants. He is still extremely powerful (just not in the same way the other beings are) and no being would have the power necessary to mafuba him.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

It's never even been hinted that Zeno is a good fighter, but rather he can just wipe out whatever he wants whenever he wants. He is still extremely powerful (just not in the same way the other beings are) and no being would have the power necessary to mafuba him.

Why not? Destroying a universe isn't that hard, Goku and Beerus almost did that by accident.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

sassassin posted:

What part of the show suggests to you that this could be true apart from your desire to believe Goku can't cause bad things to happen?

The fact that none of the Supreme Kais saw this coming. If going into the future worked the way everyone in the thread is proposing, then they would ALL know this was coming. They would have, at some point, did a look-y loo and saw that their universe was erased. If erasure mixed with your timeline, then people would have known it was coming. But, they didn't and were all shocked. That must mean erasure work independent of time travel. After all, erasing the future timeline did nothing to gently caress up the present universe.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Rutibex posted:

It is interesting that in a universe where everyone gets their own marketable color for their special attacks that Jiren and Toppo share the exact same red orange color. With how vague Whis was though and how every arc has to end with someone going "This guy is even stronger" I think it'll be a guy in a universe not involved in the tournament.

Covok
May 27, 2013

TheHan posted:

It is interesting that in a universe where everyone gets their own marketable color for their special attacks that Jiren and Toppo share the exact same red orange color. With how vague Whis was though and how every arc has to end with someone going "This guy is even stronger" I think it'll be a guy in a universe not involved in the tournament.

Also, the strongest GoD is the fishman guy, right? From one of the universes not up for deletion?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Covok posted:

Also, the strongest GoD is the fishman guy, right? From one of the universes not up for deletion?

It's never outright said, but it's likely one of the big four. Geene is, at the very least, clearly the most clever of the lot, since he was the only one to see through the Great Priest's scheme. He also looks very strong, especially considering how the GoDs normally look.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Covok posted:

The fact that none of the Supreme Kais saw this coming. If going into the future worked the way everyone in the thread is proposing, then they would ALL know this was coming. They would have, at some point, did a look-y loo and saw that their universe was erased. If erasure mixed with your timeline, then people would have known it was coming. But, they didn't and were all shocked. That must mean erasure work independent of time travel. After all, erasing the future timeline did nothing to gently caress up the present universe.

More likely the universe-erasure doesn't take place within a span of years any Kai is likely to travel forward. I didn't get the impression that the time rings were used frequently anyway, scanning through time isn't their job.

How could erasing an offshoot timeline in the future possibly effect the present? It is both yet to happen and a distinct timeline (hence now multiple Zenos).

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kashuno posted:

If it's Jiren that's a joke. Also makes no sense why Toppo would be considered for GoD if Jiren can easily overpower the current GoD AND Toppo

It's because Jiren doesn't want to be a GoD. Goku doesn't either. Jiren's already been stated to be stronger than Toppo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

sassassin posted:

More likely the universe-erasure doesn't take place within a span of years any Kai is likely to travel forward. I didn't get the impression that the time rings were used frequently anyway, scanning through time isn't their job.

How could erasing an offshoot timeline in the future possibly effect the present? It is both yet to happen and a distinct timeline (hence now multiple Zenos).

They went 1000 years in the future in Universe 10. The tournament only happened a few months later. They were erased in the tournament.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they're gonna get unerased at the end just like every other universe

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Covok posted:

They went 1000 years in the future in Universe 10. The tournament only happened a few months later. They were erased in the tournament.

They went 1000 years in the future in Universe 10. Every mortal wasn't murdered by Zamasu.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kild posted:

They went 1000 years in the future in Universe 10. Every mortal wasn't murdered by Zamasu.

Huh, that's a good point actually. How does that work now with DBZ time traveling?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Covok posted:

Between the two events Goku brought a second Zeno to this timeline which began the series of events that led to the tournament of power.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Covok posted:

Huh, that's a good point actually. How does that work now with DBZ time traveling?

it'd be a completely separate timeline

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I'm actually pretty amused that the "Goku did nothing wrong" guy just got banned for being a nazi apologist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

All Dragonball timeline alterations create a new timeline. If Goku travelled forward in time in his timeline he wouldn't have ended up in Future Trunk's timeline. You can go back to an earlier timeline but doing so just creates a new one.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

naw goku is gonna win and then say "zen-chan that wasnt nice bring back the other universes or i wont be ur friend anymore" and then everybody will gasp/jaw-drop and zen-oh will say "okay" and he'll do it. shounen

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

I'm actually pretty amused that the "Goku did nothing wrong" guy just got banned for being a nazi apologist.

that's sick

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ImpAtom posted:

All Dragonball timeline alterations create a new timeline. If Goku travelled forward in time in his timeline he wouldn't have ended up in Future Trunk's timeline. You can go back to an earlier timeline but doing so just creates a new one.

That's not quite correct. Mortal-made time travel (Bulma's time machines) create new timelines upon being used, unless they're calibrated to travel to an existing one by not changing coordinates (as Trunks did in Super, keeping the same amount of time travelled as he did in Z). Godly time travel (Supreme Kai of Time, Time Rings) does not create new timelines, it merely sends people into different points of an existing one, although not neccesarily the one they're in.

Beerus and Whis got mad about Trunks' time travel because they didn't realize this difference existed and thought the time machine worked like their own time travelling, which isn't quite the case. Regardless, creating new timelines is still wrong and dangerous, and could literally destroy time itself if overused.

In either case, doing something in a timeline that should not have happened will still create a split, as Beerus did by destroying Zamasu.

At least, as far as I understood. Time travel is inherently full of plot holes and Dragon Ball does not have the most complex writing to begin with, so all of this could be wrong too!

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Skinty McEdger posted:

All that I am saying is that Goku did nothing wrong! Nein! Nein! Those universe were inferior and standing against the Blonde Hair, Green Eyed master race! They needed to be purged, like pruning the dead leaves of a flower so it can blossom!*

All hail the fuhrer, the Super Aryan!

/sarcasm

*Read that in a bad Nazi accent.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kild posted:

It's because Jiren doesn't want to be a GoD. Goku doesn't either. Jiren's already been stated to be stronger than Toppo.

Right, Jiren is more powerful than Toppo and they're going to just make a GoD they know is weaker than a mortal in their universe?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kashuno posted:

Right, Jiren is more powerful than Toppo and they're going to just make a GoD they know is weaker than a mortal in their universe?

Yeah? Both Goku and Vegeta are GoD candidates despite the latter being weaker than the former (in bursts, anyways, thanks to Kaio-ken).

It's also kind of a dumb thing to point out if Jiren is stronger than the Joker anyways. You're talking about an universe where the God of Destruction is weaker than a mortal to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah? Both Goku and Vegeta are GoD candidates despite the latter being weaker than the former (in bursts, anyways, thanks to Kaio-ken).

It's also kind of a dumb thing to point out if Jiren is stronger than the Joker anyways. You're talking about an universe where the God of Destruction is weaker than a mortal to begin with.

if they make GoDs knowing there are mortals stronger than them, then the whole "there is a mortal out there more powerful that GoDs!!!" means literally nothing. At that point why even bother with the distinction?

e; It's not Jiren because Goku is going to beat his rear end and if it was then it'd be like "holy poo poo this guy is stronger than literal Gods and the this OTHER guy is even stronger than that" which it's way too early in Super for that to happen

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 30, 2017