Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I kind of hope that even the super dragon balls have limits, like "I can only revive one universe at a time" so U7 revives their bros and sisters in U6, or vice versa. That way U9 stays dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

seiferguy posted:

I kind of hope that even the super dragon balls have limits, like "I can only revive one universe at a time" so U7 revives their bros and sisters in U6, or vice versa. That way U9 stays dead.

Comedy Option: "Sorry bro, can't bring back universes. poo poo out of luck. Sucks to be them."

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Goku wishes that the king of all be destroyed since having this genocidal man child around is clearly not a good thing.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Monaghan posted:

Goku wishes that the king of all be destroyed since having this genocidal man child around is clearly not a good thing.

But enough about Goku

I kinda hope that Goku's new form isn't some crazy multiplier or anything, like I hope he actually managed to somehow transcend to the plane of the Gods

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Just as Gohan comes into his own with his Mystic form, Goku supercedes him as Mystic God Mystic Saiyan

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Kashuno posted:

Just as Gohan comes into his own with his Mystic form, Goku supercedes him as Mystic God Mystic Saiyan

"Dad, I think I finally found my new form: Ult-", Gohan says with childish excitement as he seeks approval from his negligent father. But, his joy turns to sorrow as Goku stands above him, cloaked in a white aura. "D-dad?", falls meekly from his bemused lips.

"Gohan, I have transcended past a God. I am now 'God of Destruction Goku'. All the power of the energy of destruction is corrosing through every cell in my body. Champa, Beerus, Whis! Hah, I can't wait for that rematch! Now, what did you need to ask me, son?"

Pushing his index fingers together in an embarrassed gesture, his aura poofs and his hair returns to normal. "N-nothing, Dad. I-I was just wondering if you need my back-up or som-"

"No need!" Goku interjects like a rhino bursting into a china shop. Like a missile, he darts towards the Grand Priest. A sick joy has infected the warrior's eyes and turned them to something unnerving, the sick joy known as "the lust of battle."

"I-I'll just wait here." The dejected son squats on the tournament floor, resigned to his fate as the eternal shadow to his shining father.

Tags: DBZ, DBS, Goku, Gohan, Neotare

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I'm hoping the picture of Goku's new form is actually of Vegeta and it turns out when you go a level beyond you just turn into baseline Goku.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Skinty McEdger posted:

I'm hoping the picture of Goku's new form is actually of Vegeta and it turns out when you go a level beyond you just turn into baseline Goku.

This is the ideal male body. You may not like it, but it's what peak performance looks like.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Skinty McEdger posted:

Strongest Warrior Under the Heavens: Goten.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Calibanibal posted:

naw goku is gonna win and then say "zen-chan that wasnt nice bring back the other universes or i wont be ur friend anymore" and then everybody will gasp/jaw-drop and zen-oh will say "okay" and he'll do it. shounen

That would be an extremely boring and anticlimactic way to resolve the situation, and not in tune with how other Dragonball arcs have ended.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

sassassin posted:

That would be an extremely boring and anticlimactic way to resolve the situation, and not in tune with how other Dragonball arcs have ended.

At the end of every arc DB undoes of all its collateral damage and deaths by using a magic wishing granting dragon. The good guys/ innocent people come back unless a character specifically requests that they not be wished back.

EDIT- poo poo even in super the only real damage is trunks timeline getting destroyed, but he goes an fucks off to another timeline which is exactly the same as his old one, but all the bad stuff didn't happen.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Monaghan posted:

At the end of every arc DB undoes of all its collateral damage and deaths by using a magic wishing granting dragon.
Not in the Super 17 arc! :twisted:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The damage of the Saiyan Saga doesn't get fixed until the end of the Namek Saga even now, as Gohan is still a hosed up little tryhard due to Piccolo's abuse.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Battle of Gods: Beerus gets bored and decides to leave without doing the destruction, even though Goku didn't win.
Return of Frieza: Frieza destroys everything, Whis rewinds and lets Goku take care of things
Universe 6: Nothing
Future Trunks: Infinite Zamasu destroyed, Future Trunks just goes to better future.

Super is pretty clear on things not really mattering.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Monaghan posted:

the only real damage is trunks timeline getting destroyed

A good sentence.

Those poor little kids.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I can't think of any consequences for this arc that wouldn't entail getting rid of all these interesting characters forever, so I'm fine with them not happening.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragonball as a franchise is genuinely really light on consequence. Events happen that are bad but almost every single one is undone by the end of the arc from the start of Dragonball. Even massive game-changing deaths or the literal destruction of cities or even the world is a mild inconvenience even if it's super serious at the time. It's pretty likely this will continue because Dragonball doesn't really want heavy long-term world-ruining consequences. It wants a fun action show where genocidal madmen and literal satan can be redeemed.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 30, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
shonen as a whole is a genre light on consequences, dragonball just takes that to the next level

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Saiyan saga had consequences, Namek had consequences, Cell had consequences. Deaths got reversed eventually but there were still lasting effects to the events. Vegeta, Trunks, Piccolo, Gohan, they all got put through the wringer, changing as a result.

It would be very disappointing if all this amounted to nothing more than introducing some new characters for future video games, and a shiny new transformation for that loveable scamp Son Goku.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

Saiyan saga had consequences, Namek had consequences, Cell had consequences. Deaths got reversed eventually but there were still lasting effects to the events. Vegeta, Trunks, Piccolo, Gohan, they all got put through the wringer, changing as a result.

It would be very disappointing if all this amounted to nothing more than introducing some new characters for future video games, and a shiny new transformation for that loveable scamp Son Goku.

Saiyan Saga's consequences were undone by the Namek saga and were some of the longest lasting in the franchise. Namek's consequences were undone or effectively undone before the end of the saga. Same with Cell and the only reason Goku didn't come back is because he asked not to. People die and were sad and suffered but at the end of the day everyone was revived pretty drat quickly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dragonball has lasting consequences in the same way western comics do: bad things happen and maybe stick around for a while, but are all inevitably reversed in a way that means they might as well have never happened

unless you're future trunks

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Manatee Cannon posted:

dragonball has lasting consequences in the same way western comics do: bad things happen and maybe stick around for a while, but are all inevitably reversed in a way that means they might as well have never happened

unless you're future trunks

Or Vegeta or Piccolo or Gohan or Krillin or Yamcha.

Time moves forward in Dragonball, characters reshaped by events in often significant ways. It's not like western comic books at all.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

sassassin posted:

Or Vegeta or Piccolo or Gohan or Krillin or Yamcha.

Time moves forward in Dragonball, characters reshaped by events in often significant ways. It's not like western comic books at all.

Other than Yamcha all of these character changes are positive. They become happier better people. Sad things (people dying ,loss) doesn't happen.

The idea that DBZ is going to have an ending in which over multiple universes die and stay dead seems ridiculous to me. It's completely contrary to what's happen in the show thus far.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Monaghan posted:

Other than Yamcha all of these character changes are positive. They become happier better people. Sad things (people dying ,loss) doesn't happen.

The idea that DBZ is going to have an ending in which over multiple universes die and stay dead seems ridiculous to me. It's completely contrary to what's happen in the show thus far.

I haven't said that the consequences must be sad. Only that Goku simply asking for everything to be put back to normal at the end would be an unsatisfying and anti-climactic ending and out of tune with previous Dragonball endings.

The last arc ended with an entire timeline full of (two) happy, hopeful children being extinguished. It was loving horrific.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/ActionZacku/status/902562519956414465

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

sassassin posted:

The last arc ended with an entire timeline full of (two) happy, hopeful children being extinguished. It was loving horrific.

And the last image of the arc being Trunks breaking down with PTSD over the deaths and his failure to protect them.

Well also Gohan telling him "at least you tried."

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, DBZ is guilty of going back to status quo a LOT. There's character development but not a lot of consequences to the big catastrophic events, which is why people aren't banking on all those universes being perma-erased for real. I mean, I wouldn't put money on U6 or the Pride Troopers being deleted, at the very least.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Trunks timeline died but low and behold there was an entirely new timeline waiting for trunks in which they all existed and none of the bad things even happened.

So I don't think it's as dark your making it out to be.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Trunks knows his real mum is dead. He couldn't save her.

Dias posted:

I mean, DBZ is guilty of going back to status quo a LOT. There's character development but not a lot of consequences to the big catastrophic events, which is why people aren't banking on all those universes being perma-erased for real. I mean, I wouldn't put money on U6 or the Pride Troopers being deleted, at the very least.

The Pride Troopers will reaffirm their dedication to Justice and join in the slaughter of the gods.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
If I had to bet, I'd say we'll get a sort of compromise, universes 9, 10, 4 and 3 will remain destroyed while 7, 6, 11 and possibly 2 will be loopholed out of danger. Maybe something will interrupt the tournament before it ends, there's a draw with 1 or 2 people for each universe remaining by the time the clock runs out or Zeno decides not to blow up the universes that lost but nonetheless made it to the end of the clock because he wants to make the tournament a yearly endeavor with the other exempt universes included but no more threat of erasure.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Trunks timeline died but low and behold there was an entirely new timeline waiting for trunks in which they all existed and none of the bad things even happened.

yeah but they still died

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Frieza and Frost try to kill Zenos and fail. The Zenos find it fun and enjoyable, wipe frieza and frost from existence, then say U7 and U6 can stick around to make more funny bad guys

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Stairmaster posted:

yeah but they still died

A lot of fiction doesn't really seem to care about that.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Monaghan posted:

There's also a Trunks and Mai already in that universe so he still can't see his Mom without hiding she'd probably be cool with it though.

Also Goku is a terrible candidate for a GoD destruction and Vegeta probably won't want to leave his family. The real hint is if Champa starts picking his own successor since U6 and U7 are twin universes. I'm kind of hoping it'll be one of the kids to be honest since Uub is taking the main Goku successor slot so someone else can be GoD

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Perfect Cell will make an excellent god of destruction imho

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's gonna be Piccolo

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Basically, you can be Rick about the ending of the Goku Black Arc or you can be Morty about the ending of the Goku black Arc. Either way, your decision is pointless.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SirKibbles posted:

There's also a Trunks and Mai already in that universe so he still can't see his Mom without hiding she'd probably be cool with it though.

Also Goku is a terrible candidate for a GoD destruction and Vegeta probably won't want to leave his family. The real hint is if Champa starts picking his own successor since U6 and U7 are twin universes. I'm kind of hoping it'll be one of the kids to be honest since Uub is taking the main Goku successor slot so someone else can be GoD
Android 17 would be perfect.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Uub is going to become a supreme kai look at his hair it's obvious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

Android 17 would be perfect.

Android 17 really would be a bizarrely perfect God of Destruction. He has just enough nihilism while also being absurdly loving dedicated to his job and having enough of an actual soft side to not be an rear end in a top hat about it.

Also incredibly pragmatic so he'd take care of poo poo right away instead of pulling a Beerus.