Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
That's a pretty nice shitter that someoe put a lot of effort into and iffen I cared I'd encourage all of you to think about glass outhouses before out threw stones.

I'd take a huge cumshit in that fancy toilet where i could knock my forehead against the ceiling btw. Totally in love with the Indian blanket floooring they're rocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Zamujasa posted:

To Use The Stinker, Do The Thinker

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

and dumped the kitty litter between the two 8-foot cinderblock walls between our place and the grocery store alley.

What?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cat piss alley

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You can file that under Redneck Engineering.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

peanut posted:

We never mowed the lawn in the duplex we rented for 2 years because we moved from out-of-state and didn't have a mower and didn't plan on buying one when we were already paying $2000/month for a 2 bedroom apartment and didn't ever really want or need to use a yard.
At least we took out our trash and dumped the kitty litter between the two 8-foot cinderblock walls between our place and the grocery store alley.
The parking lot was full of crushed grapefruits (ponderosa lemons?!) that no one cared to take care of. I finally know how to peel them, 15 years later...

You sound like a terrible tenant

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

There are apartments that expect you to mow outside?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
If you're renting a house or duplex that doesn't have an HOA that takes care of that, sure.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

brugroffil posted:

an HOA that takes care of that
I was under the impression that the only things HOAs "take care of" is preventing people from painting their houses the wrong color of burnt umber.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Yawgmoth posted:

I was under the impression that the only things HOAs "take care of" is preventing people from painting their houses the wrong color of burnt umber.

I used to rent a room from a friend who owned half of a duplex in a neighborhood full of them. The HOA handled all lawn care as well as bitching about the exact model of mailbox we were allowed to have.

The jerks scheduled the lawn service to come by at gently caress-thirty in the morning on Saturday.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 30, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yawgmoth posted:

Depends. They all suck to varying degrees, but some actually do quite a lot.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My HOA hasn't met for like two years, and forgot to file their 2017 paperwork so was disbanded by the state, but I don't think anyone else is actually aware, and we all just chip in to have the road graded once in a while and that's it. A+, best HOA.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The only good HOA is a disbanded HOA.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If you choose to live somewhere with shared facilities, then there needs to be an organization responsible for maintaining those facilities, whether they be a gym or an elevator. Otherwise poo poo's gonna break and nobody's gonna want to fix it. But that organization's responsibilities and power should be as restricted as possible.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Baronjutter posted:

The only good HOA is a disbanded HOA.
Correct!

In this case, though, really nobody ever cared about the HOA rules. The developer that built it wanted it all strict and serious, but they eventually left and it became what it always really was: rural farm land. People let their dogs run loose and parked their cars in their driveways long before the death of the HOA, but now it's official. ;)

Helps that it's only six houses, nobody's crazy, and more or less everyone keeps to themselves, though.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 30, 2017

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

FCKGW posted:

You sound like a terrible tenant

For that rent I'd be a terrible tenant too.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you choose to live somewhere with shared facilities, then there needs to be an organization responsible for maintaining those facilities, whether they be a gym or an elevator. Otherwise poo poo's gonna break and nobody's gonna want to fix it. But that organization's responsibilities and power should be as restricted as possible.

A treatise for small government.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a whole lot of psychology with being a tenant. I'd love to do a proper study on it, but I've developed a theory based purely on anecdotes that when tenants feel a sense of security and ownership and don't feel ripped off they are much much better tenants than otherwise. In buildings with an actual sense of community there's a sense that even the common spaces are things they look out for. I've known people that have done minor repairs, cleaning, decorating of common spaces simply because it's where they live and they want it to be nice and pretty and take pride in their building. While at both the extremely high and low end of rents, if people hate their landlord there's no buy-in, they don't want to lift a finger to do anything for the building because that would be helping the landlord, who's the enemy.

I've seen slum-level rentals where everyone pitched in and helped with upkeep, gardened, and generally invested their energy into the building because it felt like their home and the owners only did the barest bones of upkeep, but rents were super low so it seemed fair, they were ok having low rents even if it meant they had to invest some time into the building to keep it nice. I've seen very high end buildings where despite it being full of rich people paying high rents, there was still a sense of ownership and security and thus a connection with the building. They'd hang art on the walls, donate old but still very nice furniture for the lobby, take care of indoor plants in the common space, and go above and beyond on the gardening because they like doing it. If tenants of any class feel they are getting a fair deal from their landlord and aren't being abused or living in constant fear of eviction they will actually help their landlord by pitching in on upkeep, or at least doing everything they can to be considerate model tenants.

Meanwhile when people don't feel secure in their building because they could be evicted any moment, or their rents skyrocket, or their landlord generally treats them like poo poo there's no sense of ownership. They view the building, it's common spaces, and even their own unit as something that is not theirs in any way, they feel like unwelcomed squatters being taken advantage of in an unfair deal they've been forced into. Tenants who feel like this will be rough on the unit, they'll be rough on the common spaces, they'll do every little petty thing they can to send a gently caress you to the landlord to the point of vandalism even if it all it does it make the building worse for everyone else.

I notice this even just between owners/management styles in north america, and much more starkly between countries with very different levels of tenants rights and "renting culture".

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I mean I'm more appalled about you filling up a wall with cat poo poo than I am about the yard

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Agreed, why wouldn't you just bag it like a regular person, that's not even more work than heaving it over a 8ft wall.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Fixing anything yourself is a recipe for unrelated problems being blamed on your repair because they can later.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I worked with a girl who was fresh out of college. She had dogs, and lived in an apartment. She wanted to pay, at her own expense, to remove the carpets and put in tile or laminate in an apartment she didn't own and had like a 12 month lease on.

I could not convince her how stupid an idea it was, but she ended up quitting her job and moving a few hundred miles away anyway before she could do it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

canyoneer posted:

I worked with a girl who was fresh out of college. She had dogs, and lived in an apartment. She wanted to pay, at her own expense, to remove the carpets and put in tile or laminate in an apartment she didn't own and had like a 12 month lease on.

I could not convince her how stupid an idea it was, but she ended up quitting her job and moving a few hundred miles away anyway before she could do it.

I love it when tenants make unauthorized "upgrades" to their unit then after demand some sort of compensation, that's a thing that actually happens according to landlords I've talked to. Like "Hey I put in a new fancy sink in the bathroom, here's my invoice I think we should go 50/50 because I added value to your unit"

Some landlords are fine with this sort of thing if you talk to them FIRST.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

peanut posted:

We never mowed the lawn in the duplex we rented for 2 years because we moved from out-of-state and didn't have a mower and didn't plan on buying one when we were already paying $2000/month for a 2 bedroom apartment and didn't ever really want or need to use a yard.
At least we took out our trash and dumped the kitty litter between the two 8-foot cinderblock walls between our place and the grocery store alley.
The parking lot was full of crushed grapefruits (ponderosa lemons?!) that no one cared to take care of. I finally know how to peel them, 15 years later...

This paragraph contains words but none of it makes sense to me.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

wolrah posted:

The jerks scheduled the lawn service to come by at gently caress-thirty in the morning on Saturday.

poo poo, I'd be fine with that. They can run a jackhammer under my window at 3:30am if it means I get out of mowing the loving yard in the summer.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

quote:

craigslist houseshare ad: “i have a garden growing in my shower so you have to use eco-friendly hair products. you will see worms and other insects, and you will occasionally see a spider too but they all help out the ecosystem.”

Guys.... we've had it all wrong. You put the rocks INSIDE the shower/bath area, not around it.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

That poor drain.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ok what the gently caress

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Someone saw that moss bath rug and got a really terrible idea.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i mean, that would be really cool... on a spaceship in the future or something where water and mold just disappear automatically

but no loving way in the real world we actually live in is that a good idea

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm sure you could plant it with tropical rainforest plants and set up a custom water treatment system with multiple layers of successively finer and finer filters to remove the particulates, but... waaay too much effort and zero chance that's what was done here.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I'd have to pass on sharing a house with someone who takes showers short enough to not flood that and only uses eco-friendly bath products.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Polio Vax Scene posted:

There are apartments that expect you to mow outside?

I guess if it's written in the contract :shrug:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Help me, thread. Help me understand the switches in my new house.

In my room there are two switches for the ceiling fixture. One by the door (switch D) and one on the wall opposite (W). Both switches must be on for the lights to be on. When D is on, switching W off and on turns the lights off and on respectively. Two switches in series, par for the course for lovely wiring.

But when W is in the off position, switching D on makes the lights flick on for an instant before going dark again.
How the gently caress :psyduck:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

D is for ghosts

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GotLag posted:

In my room there are two switches for the ceiling fixture. One by the door (switch D) and one on the wall opposite (W). Both switches must be on for the lights to be on. When D is on, switching W off and on turns the lights off and on respectively. Two switches in series, par for the course for lovely wiring.

But when W is in the off position, switching D on makes the lights flick on for an instant before going dark again.

Broken 3 way switch? Go to the home wiring thread with pictures in hand if you want to fix it yourself.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

GotLag posted:

Sounds like a 3-way switch that needs to be replaced. Go grab a new 3-way switch. Turn off the power to the light's circuit at your breaker box. When you take out the old switch, look for one screw that is a different color than the other two--typically a brass screw and two silver, but sometimes black with two gold. Make sure you connect the wire connected to the darker terminal on the original switch to the darker terminal on the new switch. The other two wires can go on either of the regular terminals. (Plus there should be a copper ground wire connected to the box and switch.) Murphy's law says to test the 3-way switch before you screw the switches back into the box, just don't shock yourself and good luck.

There are lots of ways to wire a 3-way switch. The bottom of this article (https://www.homeimprovementweb.com/information/how-to/three-way-switch.htm) has pictures of the various methods. Slim chance you have a problem with the wiring, not the switch. But troubleshooting the wiring is a lot harder than trading out a $5 switch.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I have found that the easiest way to do switches that USED to work was to detach wires from the old switch one at a time, and attach the new switch with the wire you just disconnected.

This doesn't eliminate the possibility the previous installer was a loving moron.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

value-brand cereal posted:

Guys.... we've had it all wrong. You put the rocks INSIDE the shower/bath area, not around it.

Because I love showering in the mud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

HycoCam posted:

Sounds like a 3-way switch that needs to be replaced.

Yeah I think this is it. On closer examination of the switch by the door it twists sideways when being switched, like the hinge is broken on one side, before clicking into its detent. Thanks.

If I jiggle it just right it works like a three-way should. I'll bring this up when I sign on to the lease (I've just moved in to a share house).