Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Awww you're trying to troll. How cute. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

God what a poo poo episode. Felt like filler and really made Gohan seem like a loving wimp. And what the hell was with everyone just running? Tien ran in a straight line for half the episode.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Stallion Cabana posted:

looks like the next episode is Universe 6's turn to have 2+ fighters knocked out.

I wonder if they're still gonna try and present this as Universe 7 hanging on by the skin of their teeth when they completely out number every other universe.

If they pick up the pace of eliminations for U7 it might work, some of the other universes are quite numerous still.

Carl Seitan posted:

God what a poo poo episode. Felt like filler and really made Gohan seem like a loving wimp. And what the hell was with everyone just running? Tien ran in a straight line for half the episode.

Pull it back a bit, it wasn't that bad.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I bet Dr. Rotor's power is really cool.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

For as much as this series recalls the original Dragon Ball, why wasn't Tien more useful? Sure, he got shoved aside for Goku to ultimately save the day, but he was one of the more competent fighters before Z. I get that the stakes are far higher, but he lost way too easily.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
On a side note, how many arms has Piccolo gone through by now?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
... Uh outside of that one moment with Shin Kikoho (admittedly a great moment), Tien has literally never been useful in a fight.

Edit: Oh wait I forgot he beat Tao Pai Pai but he was framed as a complete scrub at that point so I don't count it as an achievement.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

khwarezm posted:

On a side note, how many arms has Piccolo gone through by now?

Yeah why are Piccolo's arms attached with scotch tape? He lost three in just this episode. Why does he never lose a leg, or some of his torso or something.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

lol tien blows rear end

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
tien in this episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIyHJFiBUkk

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pureauthor posted:

... Uh outside of that one moment with Shin Kikoho (admittedly a great moment), Tien has literally never been useful in a fight.

Edit: Oh wait I forgot he beat Tao Pai Pai but he was framed as a complete scrub at that point so I don't count it as an achievement.

They said before Z, where he was solidly the third most powerful person alive below Piccolo and Goku

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you wanna talk pre dbz then tien beat goku in the second world tournament grand finals

the next thing he does after that is dig a hole and push cell in it

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

if you wanna talk pre dbz then tien beat goku in the second world tournament grand finals

the next thing he does after that is dig a hole and push cell in it

Tien beat Goku on a technicality too.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Kild posted:

Tien beat Goku on a technicality too.

Most of Goku's tournament wins were technicalities.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Serge Painsbourg posted:

Most of Goku's tournament wins were technicalities.

Goku's only tournament win was a technicality.

Reminder, Goku has only won the tournament once.

Same as Tien.

Christ what did Tien do to Toei to treat him like so much poo poo. They were better off not even bringing him if that's all they wanted to do. He didn't get any spot light before like Krillin, and didn't do anything notable during. What a waste.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

They should have brought Yamcha instead of Tien. At least he would have been comic relief or done a baseball thing or something.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

tien blows. all glory to the new World's Strongest human, Master Roshi

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

speaking of roshi, I can't believe they're hinting a death fakeout for him after using the mufaba again

even if they did kill him this time, it makes goku's saving him and their emotional reunion feel totally pointless

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm glad Tien continued to be terrible

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

eat my rear end

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Seriously getting worried that Roshi's near-death fakeout is going to signal his actual death soon. Either that or he gets Kami'd into a Mafuba jar. :ohdear:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
It's inevitable that at least some people on U7 are going to lose and not get to knock people out. With Goku and Vegeta both getting close to 10+ Eliminations each, Universe 7 is already well over 30 total eliminations in an 80 man tournament. By the next couple of episodes I'm expecting them to pass 40, and I wouldn't be surprised if the final score looks like U7 60+, U6 10+, and then the rest combined around 10.

Unless you want this tournament to be even less interesting and even more lopsided then it already is, there inevitably have to be some people on U7 who get knocked out without doing much of anything, or only doing so much; Tien still went 1 for 1 even when he lost, and we're saying it's a poo poo showing because he only knocked out one person instead of 3+ like everyone else; Krillin has 3, Roshi will probably get at least one more in two weeks, even if he is knocked out.

If every person on U7 gets 5+ Eliminations, then the entire tournament is going to end up being even more of a joke.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Seriously getting worried that Roshi's near-death fakeout is going to signal his actual death soon. Either that or he gets Kami'd into a Mafuba jar.

Reversal....

Wait, remind me. Has Roshi been keeping the ones he Mafuba'd on him? Then what the heck happens to the jars if it gets reversed? That sounds like a recipe for trouble.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Can we just skip to the end of the tournament already this is getting bad after all the leadup

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Stairmaster posted:

eat my rear end

it's not my fault Tien has always sucked.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm pretty sure the witch lady who got Mafuba'd in the last episode was thrown off the edge in the bottle, and then she appeared normally on the eliminated bench

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Tien did about as well as he can really be expected, I guess. It really seemed about the same as Krillin's ep, though I guess it was a bit less impressive.

I am totally expecting Dr. Rota's ability to have some relevance later though. I'm sure it was amazing.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Aurora posted:

Can we just skip to the end of the tournament already this is getting bad after all the leadup

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tonight's episode wasn't bad but it was a letdown compared to how good all the episodes have been since the tournament started

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

We got to the fireworks factory but some of them are labeled tien, roshi and they smell like farts.

Also this tournament really is a joke, all the tension has deflated out, much like said fart.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
apparently if you hit piccolo hard enough his arms just pop off like 2 very green muscular zits, good thing Namekian leprosy doesn't seem to be a big deal

CharlestonJew fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 3, 2017

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Tien, this was supposed to be your big episode, your time to shine!!!!!!!

:smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lol Tien. I hope Gohan goes out next.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I mean it's not like he did nothing. He dealt with the sniper guy that was blowing Piccolo's arms off by using an ability that no one else was capable of. I'd call that his time to shine.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Momomo posted:

I mean it's not like he did nothing. He dealt with the sniper guy that was blowing Piccolo's arms off by using an ability that no one else was capable of. I'd call that his time to shine.
I dunno about that. Consider Dr. Rota for example, and his amazing ability of-

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Huh, that was a weird episode. The early part seemed like it set up Gohan and Piccolo taking down the snipers together, except Tien rings out alongside the sniper and Goku and Vegeta were the ones to take care of his helper.

While I liked that they actually worked together as a team this time, it kind of make Gohan look like a complete chump in the process. Piccolo's the one who took the hits Gohan should've dodged, as well as the one to have the idea to use smokescreen and to heat up the rubble with their ki to confuse the snipers. They don't even get to be the ones to track the snipers' positions either.

Between this and how Gohan dealt with Botamo and that guy from U10, I'm getting some mixed messages on Toei' plan to make him relevant.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Momomo posted:

You mean besides Piccolo who lost the same amount of ki he would have in multiform growing new arms?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
It was a weird episode, and it really rises the question of which director's wife did Tien's seiyuu bang to end up having such a poo poo perfomance both in the pre and in the actual tournament.

Aside from that, I really liked Red Blob and Green Birdie's combo attack strategy. It was a nice gimmick, and would have owned more if Red Blob had used the beam reflection more skillfully causing the beam to keep bouncing off around the enemy to catch him off guard instead of always attacking from the front.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

looks like the next episode is Universe 6's turn to have 2+ fighters knocked out.

I wonder if they're still gonna try and present this as Universe 7 hanging on by the skin of their teeth when they completely out number every other universe.

Yeah but everyone devotes about a 80 to 100% of thier man power to fighting universe 7 so it still works to being outnumbered.

Now the real question is how the sniper jerks found time to set up a rather delicate retinue when the entire ring is constantly exploding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Goku and Vegeta hurling big rear end rocks was good.

Tien sucking was as expected.

Dr. Rota will be missed.