Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Some bonus art from the newest volume:

Momo is loving this poo poo

I wonder if Momo could investigate Bakugo's sweat and generate it herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm sure there are better ways for her to make explosives than sweating nitroglycerin

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Because MHA has been increasingly generic in terms of story telling this past year, which has "coincided" with a pretty large drop off in quality for the product as a whole in comparison to what it has been in its first couple of years.
Something to play outside the box of generic shonen would allow the the story to take a turn which is less expected and would allow Horikoshi to grow as a mangaka. Mirio biting it would be impactful because he's not actually an established character so you're not losing a lot overall, rather he's someone we're told and shown as being extremely talented, he has significance to All Might and Deku as the would be successor and the one AM chose before he chose Deku.

I totally doubt any student will die in the entirety of the manga, unless there's a time skip to when they're legal adults towards the end of its run.

That just seems like something even more generic to me, personally.

Introducing a new one-note seemingly powerful character and then killing them off / beating them up to prove a threat seems to be done quite often.

And wouldn't it be more impactful to lose someone who's been established, as opposed to someone who hasn't? Like, if you're not losing much with a character's death, before readers really get to know them, I'd assume that some of the impact would be lost. Especially in a case like Mirio, since a good number of people seem to think he'll die or at least be taken out of the picture. Like, ever since he was introduced. Which sorta goes against the whole 'less expected' argument.

Or maybe I've been reading too much Tokyo Ghoul, which isn't even a shounen manga in the first place.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Because MHA has been increasingly generic in terms of story telling this past year, which has "coincided" with a pretty large drop off in quality for the product as a whole in comparison to what it has been in its first couple of years.
Something to play outside the box of generic shonen would allow the the story to take a turn which is less expected and would allow Horikoshi to grow as a mangaka. Mirio biting it would be impactful because he's not actually an established character so you're not losing a lot overall, rather he's someone we're told and shown as being extremely talented, he has significance to All Might and Deku as the would be successor and the one AM chose before he chose Deku.

I totally doubt any student will die in the entirety of the manga, unless there's a time skip to when they're legal adults towards the end of its run.

The problem I see with Mirio dying right now is the guy who it would probably impact most is Nighteye rather than Deku or All Might (though anyone dying would of course hit Deku hard) but I don't think he's super interesting and I wouldn't really care about any development he gets out of it.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
I don't want mirio to die at all but I also think sky captain is gonna have a lot of the devolpment ya'll think deku should be building off mirio and it is 100% true there hasn't been any.... hxh'ish subversions of the genre that this manga was dishing out earlier but just like hxh I have complete faith in the mangaka and that this is all leading to something

thankfully unlike hxh we can be patient and have it play out cause theres almost never hiatus's (I blame the anime for this arcs pacing and stretch outs)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The real reason everybody keeps guessing at incoming deaths is so they can mentally brace themselves as they reunite with their favorite character:

Y'all are rightly hosed.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
:negative:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

The real reason everybody keeps guessing at incoming deaths is so they can mentally brace themselves as they reunite with their favorite character:

Y'all are rightly hosed.

I wonder if Overhaul can combine things with his quirk.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Rhonne posted:

I wonder if Overhaul can combine things with his quirk.

He did it to that gang (body horror of the guy's face on the manhole cover) before putting them back together with all their ailments healed. I guess the question is can he stitch two living things together and if they then are one being or more like conjoined twins.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The problem I see with Mirio dying right now is the guy who it would probably impact most is Nighteye rather than Deku or All Might (though anyone dying would of course hit Deku hard) but I don't think he's super interesting and I wouldn't really care about any development he gets out of it.

I also feel like the whole deal with Mirio is that Deku is supposed to surpass him in some way, likely in terms of leadership and inspiring others to step up as their own symbols of justice.

Just killing him and having Deku win the same fight is the most boring way to do that

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Chisaki's clearly done something to Eri before and I wonder if she looked differently before. I thought maybe she had bandages on her arms and legs so maybe he shrank her though she also seems to talk like a child so probably not.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I hope the message ends up being both Deku and Mirio would have been fine candidates for OfA but this way we get two kickass heroes instead of just one.

Also Mirio has put just as much work, if not more, into making his clunky quirk work as Deku has although without constantly having to maim himself admittedly.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 1, 2017

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i cant keep track of all these loving characters

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Death Bot posted:

I also feel like the whole deal with Mirio is that Deku is supposed to surpass him in some way, likely in terms of leadership and inspiring others to step up as their own symbols of justice.

Just killing him and having Deku win the same fight is the most boring way to do that

mirio is the new "hero" for deku to relate to after all might lost his powers. Also more relatable because of age
His biggest strength is being happy and inspirational, that's what deku has to get better at

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wild Horses posted:

mirio is the new "hero" for deku to relate to after all might lost his powers. Also more relatable because of age
His biggest strength is being happy and inspirational, that's what deku has to get better at

Deku is already pretty inspirational tbf. Like half the class already see him as the example to follow in heroics.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Deku is already pretty inspirational tbf. Like half the class already see him as the example to follow in heroics.

he's not good at keeping positive tho and it's what got him docked points in the provisional license exam

the others started to follow him because he proved himself, not out of any innate charisma

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

For anyone who thinks OfA wouldn't bump Mirio up that much just lol take the following

The liquid monster that most people couldn't damage was totally overwhelmed just by the air pressure of a standard smash
Punching Nomu into space
The punch he throws against Deku and Bakugou wiping out a huge section of the arena and he even had the super weights on
Less important because of phasing but he tanks Bakugo's max blasts with ease

All of this when he's a husk of his former self and passed on OfA, it'd turn Mirio from a top level pro to super god.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Manatee Cannon posted:

he's not good at keeping positive tho and it's what got him docked points in the provisional license exam

the others started to follow him because he proved himself, not out of any innate charisma
I think he keeps positive, he just stalls out overthinking stuff when the situation isn't absolutely dire enough for him to just snap into All Might insanity-mode. He says that his evaluation said he got dinged for being too hesitant at the start.

Mirio seems pretty decisive, so that's a positive trait he can learn from Mirio.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fabricated posted:

I think he keeps positive, he just stalls out overthinking stuff when the situation isn't absolutely dire enough for him to just snap into All Might insanity-mode. He says that his evaluation said he got dinged for being too hesitant at the start.

Mirio seems pretty decisive, so that's a positive trait he can learn from Mirio.

I'm saying the way he reacts isn't positive. like when he gets docked points from that kid it's because he goes "oh gently caress, are you alright?"

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
mirio is a crazy ultra positive dude who tries his hardest all the time.
He's just a better hero than deku making him the perfect rival for the upcoming arcs

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The more I think about it the more I like the idea that in his current state Bakugo is just a young Endeavour.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Killing off a senior character to add gravitas to the story, truly the least generic shounen writing ever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

The real reason everybody keeps guessing at incoming deaths is that, like all people, they lust for teenager death. so they can mentally brace themselves as they reunite with their favorite character:

Y'all are rightly hosed.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I actually love this arc, it's doing a good job showing the differences between Overhaul's organization and everyone else. The scene with Toga and Twice was really good, it was so sweet but also weird and I'm really feeling for Suneater and Mirio. I hope the third member of the Big Three gets a cool scene eventually. They're just a trio of teenagers trying their best.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That's because Mineta isn't a child, he's a skeeze elemental.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Mineta is knee deep in his spring time of youth, and by god I will defend his right to it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

Mineta is knee deep in his spring time of youth, and by god I will defend his right to it.

Guy would not approve

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

There's a continuation of this if anyone is interested:

Part 3

Part 4

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

SgtSteel91 posted:

There's a continuation of this if anyone is interested:

Part 3

Part 4

I love that Todoroki's also there with the girls to talk about makeup.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Today in san francisco comic con.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Bad-rear end.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

no one else is allowed in?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ElMaligno posted:

Guy in the suit has an expression like the mall cop in the "Let Me Tell You About Homestuck" meme.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ElMaligno posted:

Dope, really like the grenades.

Mikl posted:

I love that Todoroki's also there with the girls to talk about makeup.

Also in the first one apart from Froppy he's the only one smiling because he's so wholesome. Deku is also very wholesome but he is usually a bit panicked when he first sees a disaster.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

Guy in the suit has an expression like the mall cop in the "Let Me Tell You About Homestuck" meme.

what

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

I'm reporting this, I dunno what rule but it's definitely illegal