Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

sassassin posted:

My bet is that Jiren is a gag character (which is why he's not considered for GoD of his universe, but is nevertheless unbeatable).

I hope that it turns out that his deep voice from earlier was because he needed to clear his throat, and it turns out he has the most obnoxious, high-pitched, screeching voice when he actually starts talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It's a bit crude with the language/not safe but someone linked me this video on the whole Tien thing and I feel it hits some points head on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42HNvl0e26I

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Jiren is so over-the-top serious that I'm convinced he's going to have a complete personality 180 when he finally starts fighting and go full Ginyu Force/Great Saiyaman (or something else wacky). That's pretty much the Dragon Ball approach to comedy, after all.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

HGH posted:

It's a bit crude with the language/not safe but someone linked me this video on the whole Tien thing and I feel it hits some points head on:

He's right about Gohan never really earning anything but wrong to attribute all the handjobs to Toriyama as most of them are obvious Toei filler that won't have appeared in Toriyama's treatments.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Jiren is the Brolly of U11.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

HGH posted:

this feels very "why isn't the show catering to MY favorite character" to be honest.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I can like the show and still point out the bad/pacing issues. Believe me I complained all the time during the OG run. The Buu saga was brutal week by week.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

this feels very "why isn't the show catering to MY favorite character" to be honest.

Normally I'd agree but

Seriously Tien is just weird. I don't agree with everything in that video, but the show treats Tien like a Piccolo level fighter, only he's never allowed to do anything.

He doesn't get his own focus episode, he hasn't done anything in the tournament, and his final episode here was just a poo poo show.

Unless all hell breaks loose and Tien like, holds down an Angel or something stupid, Yamcha would have gotten to do more and gotten more focus than him.

Krillin got a lot of build up, and he got an episode filled with him doing crazy poo poo and being relevant.

Tien got nothing, got bodied, and then ran at a guy for 20 minutes before falling for the easiest trick in the book. It's super disappointing for the character and anyone that was hoping he'd do something after Krillin and Roshi both got to shine.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

HGH posted:

lmbo at a video as long as the episode itself

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TFRazorsaw posted:

When it caters to almost every other character it's a valid moan.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the show has literally never treated tien as being on par with piccolo

he is supposed to be stronger than roshi tho, who got to take out 3 people in a single episode and hasn't been relevant since the second tournament in og dragonball

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

he is supposed to be stronger than roshi tho, who got to take out 3 people in a single episode and hasn't been relevant since the second tournament in og dragonball

Super has treated Tien as vaguely equal to Piccolo in terms of standing.

Like, no one worries about Tien like they do Krillin. That's what I mean. Not that he's as powerful.

It's why in the Goku V Gohan match, Tien was expected to take on Piccolo on even terms.

Goku was just the worst loving teammate in the world because Goku

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

no it hasn't and yes they have. tien worries about sucking too much to fight just like krillin did

goku and gohan both solo fought krillin before fighting tien

e: krillin also did way better against either of them and doesn't spend an episode getting owned by roshi

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Burkion posted:

Goku was just the worst loving teammate in the world because Goku

a summary of this entire story arc

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean

characters are gonna fall by the way side

there are characters the audience or the writers just don't have passion for

Tien may have drawn the short straw but that's gonna happen

Myself I didn't really give a craw about him until DBZA and that has zero to do with the actual show, so

Ehhhhh.

It happens.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Burkion posted:

Like, no one worries about Tien like they do Krillin. That's what I mean. Not that he's as powerful.

Maybe that's just because they don't give a poo poo about Tien whereas Krillin is a very good friend to them

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

also they specifically state that tien is weaker than krillin, so clearly he's not as good as piccolo either

the way he went out was still lame tho. I feel bad for all 5 tien fans in the world

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Krillin is the comic relief, that's the only reason nobody worries about Tien - he isn't funny

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's dragonball, everyone is the comic relief

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Yes. it's a comedy show, but Tien is treated as a serious guy for the most part (after DB)
e: Tien's comedic moments are "wow this serious guy is being funny LOL"

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

I don't get why people are saying Tien didn't do anything. He pulled off some sweet poses.

The Tien Force

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
While Super has treated Tien like absolute crap, I do think it's worth mentioning that the whole Yurin episode gave him more character development and growth than he's ever had since he was resurrected from King Kai's.

I mean basically the only thing he ever did since then was train and sometimes show up in fights, mostly to watch or get manhandled. In the timeskip between Cell and Buu everyone else's lives had moved on clearly but Tien was still out in the middle of nowhere training with Chiaotzu, he didn't even go to the world tournament. At least now he's gotten a dojo organised and maybe even another love interest. TBH he's gotten more screentime in Super than you might assume given how little a role he played by the end of Z.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

tien has been treated appropriately.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TFRazorsaw posted:

I mean

characters are gonna fall by the way side

Yeah I mean this tournament is only 45 minutes long so there's nowhere near enough time for anything like individual episodes/half episodes focusing on each member of U7's team and also a few from U6 and that creepy-looking rabbit Pride Trooper.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I meant in terms of being in a long running series and interest from both the fans and the creators dropping off and it leading to some half-hearted efforts

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Tien kinda got his character spot taken from him like, seven times by now. He isn't that unpopular though, it's just that Toriyama doesn't like him so he doesn't bother giving him anything, the casual DBZ fan remembers him pretty well, I'd wager.

Also the elimination order theory is still holding water. Next one up should be Roshi.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TFRazorsaw posted:

I meant in terms of being in a long running series and interest from both the fans and the creators dropping off and it leading to some half-hearted efforts

The treatment of Tien doesn't strike me as particularly half-hearted. They're clearly very interested in making him look as big a chump as possible.

I think it's the Chinese thing tbh.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Dias posted:

Tien kinda got his character spot taken from him like, seven times by now. He isn't that unpopular though, it's just that Toriyama doesn't like him so he doesn't bother giving him anything, the casual DBZ fan remembers him pretty well, I'd wager.

Also the elimination order theory is still holding water. Next one up should be Roshi.

Piccolo's holding the number two ball in the opening so that one's already disproven isn't it? The ending theory on the other hand, could be correct after next episode.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Justin_Brett posted:

Piccolo's holding the number two ball in the opening so that one's already disproven isn't it? The ending theory on the other hand, could be correct after next episode.

I thought it was Tien 2, Roshi 3, Piccolo 4?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dias posted:

I thought it was Tien 2, Roshi 3, Piccolo 4?

No it was Krillin 1, Piccolo 2, Roshi 3, Tien 4, 17 5, 18, 6, Freeza 7.

But the ending Order seems like it may be the case. Which means Vegeta will be eliminated.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

But the ending Order seems like it may be the case. Which means Vegeta will be eliminated.

Really? I thought it was Tien 2, Roshi 3, then Piccolo 4. Besides, it would be weird to cut Piccolo before we meet the U6 Namekians.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

MonsterEnvy posted:

The thread the theory originated in said Krillin then Tien.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
sometimes I think about how goku is only alive because the alien cop who was supposed to murder him as a baby missed his chance because he got shoved off a cliff after peeing on a sci-fi writer

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Blockhouse posted:

sometimes I think about how goku is only alive because the alien cop who was supposed to murder him as a baby missed his chance because he got shoved off a cliff after peeing on a sci-fi writer

Man, late-era Vonnegut got even weirder, huh.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Blockhouse posted:

Jaco retcon is good because of this exactly. Making this whole situation, in a roundabout way, Jaco's fault is a perfect cherry on top of Toriyama's absurdity sundae.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Manatee Cannon posted:

Master Roshi helped take down Freeza's troops on the RoF arc, alongside Tien, Krillin, Piccolo and Gohan.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Serge Painsbourg posted:

Really? I thought it was Tien 2, Roshi 3, then Piccolo 4. Besides, it would be weird to cut Piccolo before we meet the U6 Namekians.

Yes it would be weird to eliminate Piccolo before then. Which is why the opening theory turned out to be wrong.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Trying to theorycraft from the ED after the OP elimination theory got disproven just feels like moving from one pile of chicken bones to another.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Next episode looks good, though. Roshi gonna try and mafuba Frost, though it looks like it will probably fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

seiferguy posted:

Next episode looks good, though. Roshi gonna try and mafuba Frost, though it looks like it will probably fail.

There is some speculation that Frost is going to turn it around and wack Vegeta with it.