Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Charley was the first of the 3 that hit central FL that season. There was also Ivan which trashed the panhandle. It was a hosed up year

Was Charley the first? poo poo, shows how drunk I was for that entire season haha. There wasn't enough time between hurricane parties to sufficiently sober up before the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

`Nemesis posted:

RIP Florida

Also RIP SC?

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
Yeah 2004 Major storms affecting Florida were Charley Frances Ivan and Jeanne. 2005 had Dennis, Katrina, Rita, and Wilma. I'm in the property insurance industry in Florida and my general stress level is beginning to shoot up watching these forecasts.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

flirty dental hygienist posted:

Sarasota here. Charley wasn't bad for us, just some wind and a lot of rain, but it quickly subsided from what I remember. Not looking forward to this bullshit, but I'm not gonna worry about it. I just hope that this stupid storm doesn't gently caress up the Melvins show on the 16th.

We're getting a Melvins show???

E: Oh, up in Ybor. Hmmm

Nerses IV fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 5, 2017

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
Hurricane is extremely homophobic, all models directly gently caress the Keys.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

psssh I've been through 5 of these, bring it on Irma.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Stale Saltines posted:

The hurricane equivalent of "What are you gonna do, stab me?"

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug

RIP Everglades NP :frogsiren:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

big nipples big life posted:

I live at about the highest point in FL so if I don't get blown away I should be good because it won't flood here.

This prompted me to look up the highest point in Florida. I'm at 200 feet above sea level so no worries there. Trees falling on everything is our concern up here.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Stale Saltines posted:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

11 AM 5-day forecast updated to account for the northern curve. Pretty much all spaghetti models have it cutting straight up Florida at this point.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

enojy posted:

11 AM 5-day forecast updated to account for the northern curve. Pretty much all spaghetti models have it cutting straight up Florida at this point.

Haiti :(

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

enojy posted:

Looking at windy.com, they now show ECMWF as straight up florida, GFS as carving out the Florida tip through to Palm Beach then up the coast to hit Savannah. Those few degrees make a big difference !

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

and not just any man; Florida Man

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

Is it because I don't live in a hurricane zone that I consider people crazy for not being prepared?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

enojy posted:

Your image won't display on the forums because noaa.gov doesn't use https.

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

Your image won't display on the forums because noaa.gov doesn't use https.

I mean why would a government website need SSL anyway

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Looking at windy.com, they now show ECMWF as straight up florida, GFS as carving out the Florida tip through to Palm Beach then up the coast to hit Savannah. Those few degrees make a big difference !

GFS model puts it basically right on top of me on Monday. Death is certain, etc.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

14:49:30 1644N 05832W 6964 02498 924.1 +188 +101 326021 029 035 001 00

Pressure still dropping.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Shayl posted:

Is it because I don't live in a hurricane zone that I consider people crazy for not being prepared?

There's prepared and prepared. Like, I have a few flats of bottled water I keep in the garage, and every so often my wife rolls her eyes at me about the space they take up; we're significantly inland but our town had significant flooding a few years back so I like to be prepared.

Statistically speaking, for any given spot on the coast, a direct hit by a major hurricane is a once-every-twenty-years event, and even false alarms and near misses are once every few years or so, not consistent dangers. And on top of that you usually have a week or so of warning due to modern weather tracking.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I was looking forward to heading out to Texas and doing some building inspections and stuff

Looks like I'll get to do them a lot closer to home lmao

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

Man, wherever you are people have their priorities totally backwards lol

Do you really wanna be drinking hot beer for the next 2 weeks? Hurricane pros know this is the time to stockpile hard liquor

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's prepared and prepared. Like, I have a few flats of bottled water I keep in the garage, and every so often my wife rolls her eyes at me about the space they take up; we're significantly inland but our town had significant flooding a few years back so I like to be prepared.

Statistically speaking, for any given spot on the coast, a direct hit by a major hurricane is a once-every-twenty-years event, and even false alarms and near misses are once every few years or so, not consistent dangers. And on top of that you usually have a week or so of warning due to modern weather tracking.

Yeah...I mean I get it. But I also live in a place where its like 'someday we're gonna have a catastrophic earthquake that will gently caress UP EVERYTHING.' So I have an earthquake kit that I replenish every year and we strap poo poo down. I don't know when that's gonna happen but I assume eventually it will.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Bought a bunch of ziplocks to fill up and put in the freezer since everywhere is out of water

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

poverty goat posted:

Do you really wanna be drinking hot beer for the next 2 weeks? Hurricane pros know this is the time to stockpile hard liquor

The beer's for when you feel dehydrated from all the liquor, duh. It's got electrolytes.

Plus, hot hurricane beer is a family tradition.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
gently caress this "too early to tell" bullshit. We don't pay these people to shrug their shoulders when I'm asking if a hurricane is going to gently caress up the entire east coast or not. :mad:

I live in New England and I wanna know right now if I should be looting and murdering before it's too late.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I've got one of those fancy 7 day coolers coming from Amazon, if UPS cuts off delivery on Friday I'm gonna be sad and drinking warm beer

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sarasota Costco: No Carts
Also no more D batteries. Or generators. Or probably water now.

EDIT
I did pick up the last Yeti 1000 Lithuim power pack though. Generators are for outside, this thing can be inside.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 5, 2017

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

The beer's for when you feel dehydrated from all the liquor, duh. It's got electrolytes.

Plus, hot hurricane beer is a family tradition.

It's also really impractical to stockpile enough beer for a protracted blackout, nevermind that if you have to evacuate you aren't gonna be bringing a case of beer per person per day into the shelter

This is a 100+ proof zone

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My landlords live in the house next door and are intensely unconcerned, so I'm not worried. Gonna fill up the tub the day before, grab a half rack of stout, and watch the trees get hosed up.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

Aw poo poo I was gonna try and go there today, oh well!

I wonder if they're all out of spam, chips, and beer

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

poverty goat posted:

It's also really impractical to stockpile enough beer for a protracted blackout, nevermind that if you have to evacuate you aren't gonna be bringing a case of beer per person per day into the shelter

This is a 100+ proof zone

My garage filled with cases of beer is the reason why A) I'll never evacuate and B) my car will likely be destroyed by a falling oak tree. My kitchen full of liquor is why I will have to survive by eating cat food for a week. Just gotta have your priorities in order, man.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Nerses IV posted:

Aw poo poo I was gonna try and go there today, oh well!

I wonder if they're all out of spam, chips, and beer

Seemed to have plenty of stuff otherwise, the biggest problem was people not understanding the concept of 'lines' but Costco had people all throughout the store rationing water and directing traffic so it went pretty smoothly. There was lots of seltzer water and stuff like that, lots of Cliff bars and dried goods. Good luck finding a cart though! Our neighbor was talking about how Home Depot was crazy as well but with plywood instead of water.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Seriously though if poo poo hits the fan and any sarasota goons find themselves in need of water, send me a PM or post in this thread or something

If the roads are even slightly clear I can probably help you out

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

KakerMix posted:

EDIT
I did pick up the last Yeti 1000 Lithuim power pack though. Generators are for outside, this thing can be inside.

It's weird knowing that there are others on this forum in the same town as me...

Nerses IV posted:

Seriously though if poo poo hits the fan and any sarasota goons find themselves in need of water, send me a PM or post in this thread or something

If the roads are even slightly clear I can probably help you out

If I'm still in Sarasota I may hit you up. I don't have PMs

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Shayl posted:

Yeah...I mean I get it. But I also live in a place where its like 'someday we're gonna have a catastrophic earthquake that will gently caress UP EVERYTHING.' So I have an earthquake kit that I replenish every year and we strap poo poo down. I don't know when that's gonna happen but I assume eventually it will.

Think of it as if you knew you'd always have a week of warning before the earthquake hit.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

flirty dental hygienist posted:

It's weird knowing that there are others on this forum in the same town as me...

If you've seen a weird tiny Honda van driving around that was def. someone else

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Beet Wagon posted:

My garage filled with cases of beer is the reason why A) I'll never evacuate and B) my car will likely be destroyed by a falling oak tree. My kitchen full of liquor is why I will have to survive by eating cat food for a week. Just gotta have your priorities in order, man.

trees falling and destroying everything i own would be great because i have good insurance and I'm not attached to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

trees falling and destroying everything i own would be great because i have good insurance and I'm not attached to poo poo.

The house I just moved into is super set for hurricanes, except that the entire neighborhood (including my yard) has a bunch of giant old oak trees in it. On the one hand it means they've been there forever, and Matthew probably cleared out all the stuff that was going to come crashing down on my roof/car/self, but on the other hand, there's literally a 70 foot tall oak tree like 30 feet from my house so... not great.

Also, if it comes up the east coast and any Melbourne-area goons need last minute help please let me know and I'll do what I can.

• Locked thread