Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Manatee Cannon posted:

goku got shot straight up as a kid with his guard down several times and he's perfectly fine

when he got shot with his guard down in super, it scratched him a little

Gag manga are OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

I mean, it looked like Mai would have cracked Black's potara when he and Zamasu were at their love cabin. too bad she missed

she did have a great showing in that arc though

This really would have been a cool story beat if they'd played off it. Having the mutated purple zamasu the result of Mai clipping one of the Potara would have played well into the 'earthlings saving themselves' angle that culminates in the spirit sword.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Manatee Cannon posted:

goku got shot straight up as a kid with his guard down several times and he's perfectly fine

He got shot in RoF and almost died. Sure it was by a blaster but that's still saying a lot about how much he lets his guard down.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I think what it is is that when they train, the fighters achieve the ability to just flex constantly. Flexing hardens the skin and turns you into a loving truck and the moment you stop training or let your guard down, anything can happen

Goku got taken down by a lovely ray gun because his DNA and ancestry are prone to letting their guard down and getting wrecked.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

He got shot in RoF and almost died. Sure it was by a blaster but that's still saying a lot about how much he lets his guard down.

lasers have a pretty good track record of punching holes through dudes in dbz. guns never work

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

lasers have a pretty good track record of punching holes through dudes in dbz. guns never work

Tell that to Mr. Satan and Bee. :colbert:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why did no one shoot frieza

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Fargin Icehole posted:

The gently caress is a shotgun going to do against a mortal-hating god?

Didn't even work on Raditz
Farmer w/ Shotgun defeated Raditz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGHWJyDSXps

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

seiferguy posted:

Chi-Chi is a stereotypical nagging wife dialed up to 12.

I'd say she counts in a way. Goku is the most power living being in the whole universe and probably after this arc, probably the entire multiverse, and he is utterly terrified of making her angry.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Plus she fought to make Gohan a productive member of society, therefore she is the greatest hero.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this dude spends nearly half an hour exasperated at tien

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42HNvl0e26I

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Manatee Cannon posted:

this dude spends nearly half an hour exasperated at tien

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42HNvl0e26I

Welcome to 3 days ago how was your trip?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

why did no one shoot frieza

Freeza and the androids have default durability. Humans have human durability unless ki is defending or it's a gag. Goku has a lot of default durability but bullets still kind of sting him unless his ki is defending.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Kid Goku would kick the poo poo out of SSBSSKK Goku.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

sassassin posted:

Kid Goku would kick the poo poo out of SSBSSKK Goku.

Well yeah adult goku has never had someone run up and touch his dick in a fight before.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
Yamcha can beat everybody. He beat Goku and the dude he's based off of in Dr Slump was even better at wrestling than Arale.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bob human being posted:

Yamcha can beat everybody. He beat Goku and the dude he's based off of in Dr Slump was even better at wrestling than Arale.

Yamcha has been playing the long game all this time and he's vying for the true power of a gag character.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
I mean look at him he clearly does not give a poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hKwd0apnpk

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Something I haven't seen brought up anywhere: if Universe 6 or 7 are erased won't their respective Super Dragonballs vanish too?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

Something I haven't seen brought up anywhere: if Universe 6 or 7 are erased won't their respective Super Dragonballs vanish too?

Almost certainly not considering the terms of the tournament.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Evil Eagle posted:

I never thought about it, but that's a good point. We've seen that everything Universe-related is erased when the Universe itself is, but I guess those are exceptions for the sake of the Tournament.

Also we have visual confirmation that Namekians, indeed, have no dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E_4M-FyIB8

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Super Dragonballs don't belong to any one universe, and so won't be deleted like planets, people etc. are.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I've been rewatching all of DBZA over the last couple weeks and it's been kind of neat seeing how many callbacks to earlier stuff that they had in there that I had missed the first time watching newer episodes. I think it's been mentioned before but the jump in quality between sagas (basically any of them) is staggering. Also kind of fun seeing what holds up and what doesn't.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

reignofevil posted:

Well yeah adult goku has never had someone run up and touch his dick in a fight before.

I think I know Jiren's strategy in the upcoming fight

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

IcePhoenix posted:

I've been rewatching all of DBZA over the last couple weeks and it's been kind of neat seeing how many callbacks to earlier stuff that they had in there that I had missed the first time watching newer episodes. I think it's been mentioned before but the jump in quality between sagas (basically any of them) is staggering. Also kind of fun seeing what holds up and what doesn't.

A lot of the really early DBZA Saiyan Saga stuff is incredibly cringeworthy but imo they mostly hit their stride around the Vegeta fight and it only goes up from there, with a few missteps(Zarbon and Dodoria are kind of bad). I really enjoy DBZA Freeza.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Abrigded stuff was pretty bad when it was super popular, Yugioh aged real bad and so did early-DBZA stuff. DBZA kept improving though which, even if you hate it and think it's unredeemable garbage that offends your amazing comedic taste, you have to acknowledge. The Team Four Star dudes got pretty good at VA, the editing and sound design is ridiculously better and they're even doing (bad) animation now.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

it hurt him when he got shot in Dragon Ball. it just wasn't fatal.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

TFRazorsaw posted:

it hurt him when he got shot in Dragon Ball. it just wasn't fatal.

At worst he had a big goose egg on his head or something for a few panels...

Gimmick power truly trumps everything.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Dias posted:

Abrigded stuff was pretty bad when it was super popular, Yugioh aged real bad and so did early-DBZA stuff. DBZA kept improving though which, even if you hate it and think it's unredeemable garbage that offends your amazing comedic taste, you have to acknowledge. The Team Four Star dudes got pretty good at VA, the editing and sound design is ridiculously better and they're even doing (bad) animation now.

It might be because I'm a goddamn child at heart but I will never ever not laugh at "It's the Yu-gi-oh drinking game"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The first 30 or so episodes of Yugioh Abridged made me laugh and so did the first 30 or so of DBZA so they were good to me

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Yorkshire Tea posted:

It might be because I'm a goddamn child at heart but I will never ever not laugh at "It's the Yu-gi-oh drinking game"

The one line that always gets to me is "Johnny Steps is losing! And that's me!"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Nappa was great and remains great.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Yugioh abridged has gotten a lot better now that it's over the pop culture obsession and is ripping into waking the dragons

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
There are good jokes in there, but there's also a lot of stuff that falls real flat or is just plain garbage.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

YGO-Abridged did quite a few clever things, It's main issue (even from the start) was running stuff into the ground.
Seto Kaiba's portrayal is still great to me for example.

The odd few episodes we get a year now aren't stellar but I still enjoy them (cause it is still the same poo poo and it makes me nostalgic)

Zedd fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 7, 2017

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

I never thought about it, but that's a good point. We've seen that everything Universe-related is erased when the Universe itself is, but I guess those are exceptions for the sake of the Tournament.

Also we have visual confirmation that Namekians, indeed, have no dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E_4M-FyIB8

At this point Heroes must've given every villain in the franchise a dozen separate generic evil power ups.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Bulma literally loaded a machine gun on Goku in the first episode when he was a kid, and he was fine. It's weird that adult Goku can't take a hit well.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Maybe guns got better. It's been like thirty years, after all. I'm pretty sure that's how guns work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zinkraptor posted:

Maybe guns got better. It's been like thirty years, after all. I'm pretty sure that's how guns work.

Except Goku got better in a way that would outpace any gun