Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deadspin doesn't deserve Diana Moskovitz, she's done a phenomenal job digging into the Zeke Elliott investigation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Three posts in 12 days, maybe it's time for the Sports Journalism Thread to pivot to video content.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
People are mad at Nate silver for making a meme that happens to have a kid who's brother died in the bombing or some poo poo. As if it wasn't clear what the image was making fun of. Which is Boston cheating.

E: he just took it down. It was a pic of Belichek, Brady throwing a first pitch at Fenway, and the kid.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Nate Silver is a fuckin herb and it was probably a bad look because of who the kid was, but I laughed

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It's Boston so there's a high chance that kid is an rear end in a top hat anyway. Might as well leave it up.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Also the boston fans getting salty in the @replies were funny.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I saw people complaining but not mentioning the kid was family of a Boston bombing victim. Just thought it was butthurt Boston fans.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Regardless it's obvious to anyone with half a brain the joke had nothing to the kid and to also make the leap that it's distasteful to him since 90 percent of the people viewing that tweet didn't care or know was amusing. Also I hate Boston.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Real Sports about the Ball Hawk guy actually made me like the dude, as much as he seemed to make Gumble mad.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He is a massive tool

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

He is a massive tool

aayyyyyyyyup

https://twitter.com/zack_hample/status/876560553182986240

https://twitter.com/zack_hample/status/876563712869584896

https://twitter.com/zack_hample/status/876564228559298560

https://twitter.com/Baer_Bill/status/876661067065282560

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Maybe his dad died to a rogue foul ball

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cool Buff Man posted:

Maybe his dad died to a rogue foul ball

what if his dad was that dude that died at the rangers game off hamilton's HR :aaaaa:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The only thing that Real Sports story about him made me realize is that there is something seriously wrong in Zack Hample's brain. That being said, I don't sympathize with him at all. If he gets a rush or a high from getting balls, fine. But don't keep them. Give them to little kids or something. Every baseball in the world won't fill whatever is broken inside of him.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
He literally tramples people, including kids, to get batting practice homers

He brings opposing teams jerseys to games to beg for balls from visiting players

He illegally snuck in to the Fort Bragg game and then got dunked on by Marlins Man

He hires himself out to go to a game with you and get you baseballs

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Well yeah, but he made Bryant Gumble mad so that basically cancels out all of that poo poo....

Who the hell hates Bryant Gumble?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

He illegally snuck in to the Fort Bragg game and then got dunked on by Marlins Man

i think he went so far as to make a tinder profile asking people on the base to take him to this, and that he'd pay them

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Never in history has someone been a more evil, horrible person over such ultimately trivial and inconsequential bullshit than Zack Hample

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I just tracked down the Real Sports segment with Hample and I'm even more confused now. Why the Christ would this make anyone like Hample more?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Crazy people often do things that they think will show them in a good light, only to look more crazy in the end.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Aaron Portzline's first major article for The Athletic is a torching of Ohio State and it's wonderful

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Grittybeard posted:

I just tracked down the Real Sports segment with Hample and I'm even more confused now. Why the Christ would this make anyone like Hample more?

He's unapologetically obsessed with catching baseballs and has become the best in the world at it and understands it makes him a horrible person and does it anyway. This would be really bad if he was doing something of consequence, but the thing he does is catch baseballs, something completely silly, and that I already don't like the way that people behave around it. In a world where people so so many awful things without any self-awareness that hurt people, it's refreshing for a bad person to put their energy towards something so innocuous.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Rick posted:

He's unapologetically obsessed with catching baseballs and has become the best in the world at it and understands it makes him a horrible person and does it anyway. This would be really bad if he was doing something of consequence, but the thing he does is catch baseballs, something completely silly, and that I already don't like the way that people behave around it. In a world where people so so many awful things without any self-awareness that hurt people, it's refreshing for a bad person to put their energy towards something so innocuous.

Except that he literally does hurt people in pursuit of those balls.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Inspector_666 posted:

Except that he literally does hurt people in pursuit of those balls.

does he really

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I don't follow college hockey but that was a good article. I wish there was more poo poo like that about recruiting.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Rick posted:

I blacked out after it's refreshing for [terrible person] to continue doing [terrible things]

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

does he really

He regularly shoves kids out of the way to catch like loving batting practice homers

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Rick posted:

He's unapologetically obsessed with doing a thing that no one who has done it once and/or is over the age of 12 cares about, and has become the best in the world at it because all those people grew up and stopped trying, and understands it makes him a horrible person and does it anyway (which is a clear warning sign of a multitude of excessive personality disorders, up to and including: sociopathy, egomania, and narcissism) This would be really bad, any and everywhere regardless of consequence, even if the thing he does is catch baseballs, in front of hundreds to thousands of children; something completely silly, and not worth acting like a goddamn entitled dickhead about. In a world where people do so many awful things without any self-awareness that hurt people, it's disheartening for a bad person to put their energy towards being just as huge of a dick over something so trivial

FIXED THAT FOR YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

when an anonymous september call up is gently tossing a ball to an elementary school kid with a plastic mitt

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I've worked on a t-shirt squad for a professional sports team and nothing is more soul crushing than making eye contact with a small child, watching his face light up, tossing him a shirt, and watching a grown loving adult jump in front of him to steal it right out of his goddamn hands.

Zack Hample is literally that loving guy with 7,000+ instances of character evidence

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 8, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Like Zack Hample is probably reading this right now because he's the kind of guy who has Google alerts of his name so that he can white knight himself while he sits in a kiddie pool full of trevor plouffe batting practice foul balls

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
A baseball card box breaker got an autographed card of Hample, put it on ebay and said he'd either donate the proceeds from selling it to charity or burn it on youtube. Hample bought the card from the guy.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I've worked on a t-shirt squad for a professional sports team and nothing is more soul crushing than making eye contact with a small child, watching his face light up, tossing him a shirt, and watching a grown loving adult jump in front of him to steal it right out of his goddamn hands.

Zack Hample is literally that loving guy with 7,000+ instances of character evidence

My father-in-law's boss has season tickets right behind the Blue Jackets bench with the last seat right against the walkway where the players come out before each period and he lets us use them 4 or 5 times a season.

During warmups, kids stand along that railing when there's room to bump fists with the players, get autographs and such. Seeing as I'm 31 and do not partake in that poo poo, I always let a few kids slide into the row to stand in front of us and do that.

The last time we went My wife let a girl that was probably 6 or 7 come down our row to see the players walk by. As I step out into the aisle to let the kid walk through a woman in her loving 40s not related to the kid in any way just jumps in front of me so I stuck my leg out to block her and she gets super belligerent with me, cussing, waving her arms. As she's standing there, the kid gets a puck from Hartnell and she literally says "that should've been mine" and storms off.

It was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I went to a Phillies game at Miller Park with a couple friends, one of who is a die-hard Philadelphia fan. Our seats were a few rows behind the away dugout, and after about the 4th inning my buddy gets the ball from the 3rd out tossed to him. He basically says 'Oh, that's really cool' before he gives it to one of the kids sitting behind him. His mom buys my friend a beer. Everyone wins!

This is the correct way to act if you are a grown person that gets a ball at a game.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Coco13 posted:

I went to a Phillies game at Miller Park with a couple friends, one of who is a die-hard Philadelphia fan. Our seats were a few rows behind the away dugout, and after about the 4th inning my buddy gets the ball from the 3rd out tossed to him. He basically says 'Oh, that's really cool' before he gives it to one of the kids sitting behind him. His mom buys my friend a beer. Everyone wins!

This is the correct way to act if you are a grown person that gets a ball at a game.

Yeah I mean grab one if it comes your way and you don't have to knock anyone over to get it. Check it out for a minute or five, take a picture or selfie or whatever proof you want and then give it to the closest kid.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

If you've never caught one before and it comes right to you and you don't have to trample anyone to get it and you really want to keep it, I don't fault you. But beyond that, there's no reason to not give it to a kid, and there's especially no reason to have over 7 goddamn thousand

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

He regularly shoves kids out of the way to catch like loving batting practice homers

According to the piece he does give little kids balls. I mean unless they're just trying to make him look good.

For the most part from what they show he appears to be begging for balls at batting practice with other people begging for baseballs or catching balls in areas of the arena where other people are specifically there to catch baseballs. I know that the romantic idea is that every ball that exits the field is going into some starry-eyed child's hand who will love baseball forever but this definitely didn't actually seem to be the case, at least with what was in the piece.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Wow according to this piece he agreed to be in he's not a turbo rear end in a top hat.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/MrZigZags/status/907037153728835584

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

loving :laffo: