Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SergZpartan posted:

So the people having sex on the bed/drinking in the kitchen can watch you poop and vice-versa

Got to have something to do while waiting to get tapped in...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Youth Decay posted:

Someone is actually living in Exhibit C now, the place doesn't look half bad when furnished. Except for the kitchen shower.

quote:

Lucas ended up here with her eyes wide open though. After quitting her job in advertising in Australia three years ago, she had hopped from sublet to sublet across New York while carving out a new career path through interning at flower shops like Belle Fleur and Flower Girl on Eldridge Street. Now she was striking out on her own, starting her company, The Wild Bunch, and needed a place for herself that could double as a studio (flower stems floating all over the living room tend to annoy roommates).

So the solution to terrible construction layout is to be obnoxiously dumb and independently wealthy. (Bolding mine)

She's paying almost $1800 a month for that.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

Exhibit A: The Exhibitionist's Studio

I know it's called living in a shoebox, but that doesn't mean you have to fill it with actual shoes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I actually think those floor hatches are cool. If I had a small space with high ceilings and my landlord let me I'd probably want to build something like that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

If I had a small space with high ceilings

Yeah if I lived in a potato hole I'd be all for trap doors.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

You're supposed to dive in, find the flag, and give it to Marc Summers.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SergZpartan posted:

So the people having sex on the bed/drinking in the kitchen can watch you poop and vice-versa

But what window do you throw your poop out of?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Phanatic posted:

But what window do you throw your poop out of?

I recommend not throwing it out of one window to another double pane window.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

So the solution to terrible construction layout is to be obnoxiously dumb and independently wealthy. (Bolding mine)

She's paying almost $1800 a month for that.

I dare you to compare that to some of the rents we pay in Australia. $1800 a month is probably slightly below average for Sydney and Melbourne inner city apartments.

edit: heres some for shits and giggles

$2000 a month for 50 sq m
$1900ish for a studio

There were 13 apartments in the sydney CBD that were less than $500 per week, and none that were less than $400.

NPR Journalizard fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 7, 2017

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

NPR Journalizard posted:

I dare you to compare that to some of the rents we pay in Australia. $1800 a month is probably slightly below average for Sydney and Melbourne inner city apartments.

$1900ish for a studio

There were 13 apartments in the sydney CBD that were less than $500 per week, and none that were less than $400.

Did you run a conversion on those? 1800 USD would be something like 2250 AUD, so it seems pretty comparable.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

NPR Journalizard posted:

$1900ish for a studio

That's still absurd unless you're being paid well enough to live there.

She moved about as far as you possibly can and stay in the English-speaking Western world to work internships in one of the two most expensive cities in the country. The rent alone is more than what a full-time job would pay monthly at the NYC minimum of $10.50, and you can bet an internship at a small florists' isn't paying more than minimum if it is paid at all. She's paying that to live in a motel room, has probably $3k in decorating at least in there, and is starting her own 'floral business' in a 28 square meter one room rather than move to Queens or Brooklyn where the rents are high but not murderous.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 7, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Holy poo poo

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dagen H posted:

Holy poo poo

If you are diving in, you hope there's none.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

From the Bad Apartment Photos tumblr

What was this room even supposed to be

MC Escher's bathroom

MC Escher's upstairs bathroom

why is this wall bulging

I feel seasick

I hope the landlord pays the heating bill for this place

A sink for little people?

And not crappy, but look how happy this fireplace is :3:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i almost bought a house with a basement like this. it had a bedroom down there too. i was like "huh, why the gently caress would you recess all the light fixtures above the ceiling tile between the joists." then i clocked my head on something that was only protruding like three inches. the basement was like 6'4" maximum.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Youth Decay posted:

A sink for little people?

That looks like a great place to wash up your sack

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Just the thing I've always wanted

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Finally one location where I can take care of everything I need during a commercial break.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Youth Decay posted:

why is this wall bulging

The moose is about to escape, you need to paint that wall with some blood real soon.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Jusupov posted:

Just the thing I've always wanted

I actually kind of want that, it would be funny for at least the first 10 times you use it.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

why is this wall bulging

Have you ever seen Sicario? :unsmigghh:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Ahdinko posted:

I actually kind of want that, it would be funny for at least the first 10 times you use it.

Putting the beer back in the fridge.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Is the roof off the fridge so you can keep talking to friends while you pee or is it still covered, forcing you to do a squatty to use the potty?

I like the idea of reusing just the refrigerator doors to make a funny entrance to an otherwise normal room. It reminds me of Jungle Jim's faux porta johns.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Youth Decay posted:

why is this wall bulging

That's super cheap paneling, but either they didn't use enough nails to hang it or some already pulled out. This is the equivalent of a nail pop in drywall.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
I've seen the same effect with drywall and bulging insulation with horizontal beams. drat poorly made prefabs

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

What's this guy's username?

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2017/09/07/Pool-filled-with-sharks-found-in-basement-of-New-York-state-home/5361504787544/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

above-ground pool set up in the basement

:thunk:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

never don't post basement pool

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
isotope bearing aboveground pool.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Budgie posted:

To be fair Ozone generators are pretty great at getting the sooty smell out of places that were fire-adjacent recently.

They're also used in smoking rooms in hotels between guests to freshen it up a bit. I've walked into a couple of rooms that still had the thing on the counter. To be fair, I checked in a bit early, so the room was marked as available, they just hadn't been by to pick it up after letting it run for awhile.

Elder Postsman posted:

This last one.. close up, it's obviously little flower things. But from more than about a foot away, it looks like a wall full of skulls.

I've always wanted to do a room in this:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Delivery McGee posted:

I've always wanted to do a room in this:

Well, that's the nursery wallpaper sorted.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

<DJ Khaled voice> Anotha one

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
My biggest objection is that there's no where to leave the soap other than the window sill.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

That one just looks like a beach shower inspired thing. Their cleaning staff have my sympathies however, those rocks would suck to scrub and I hope they are compensated accordingly.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

The Twinkie Czar posted:

My biggest objection is that there's no where to leave the soap other than the window sill.

Two sided tape and a shower caddy. Or one that hangs off the pipe coming out at the top for the shower head.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Am I the only one who wants a completely sealed shower to keep all the hot humid air with me?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hope you like mold

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Youth Decay posted:

<DJ Khaled voice> Anotha one

I'm sure it's just the lighting, but the towel looks like an auto mechanic just washed up in the sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

blugu64 posted:

Am I the only one who wants a completely sealed shower to keep all the hot humid air with me?

I mean, steam showers exist.