Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Xarbala posted:

To actually be allowed to use your quirk outside of a private setting you need some sort of license, like the provisional hero license. I do wonder if there are other, more limited licenses for relevant quirk use in other civilian industries, though.

I also wonder about the state of the rest of the world outside Japan, though that's probably beyond the scope of the story.

My guess is that America has fewer restrictions on Quirk use, and that several other countries are ruled by superpowered warlords or in a state of civil war/anarchy.

I'm actually not sure it's out of scope; after Deku becomes stronger than any other heroes or villains in Japan, introducing antagonists from other countries will be the obvious next step.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

what do you think quirks are like in Australia?

god help us if it any of its wildlife gets one like Nezu

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I was re-reading the recent chapters and thought of another name for the thread:

My Hero Academia manga thread: I Wanna Be The Guy Your Hero!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
To touch upon the Marvel/DC shared continuity thing, but I feel like Type-Moon's stuff comes pretty close.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Shigaraki is maybe my favourite villain in jump right now and I am very invested in him learning about the power of evil friendship and becoming a more effective leader to his gang of murderers
Honestly I'm way more interested in this than anything else in the series.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

All I want for Christmas is to see Shiggy dunking on Overhaul really really badly.

Or for Toga and Twice to get home and say ":j: Hey Shiggy we totally dunked on Overhaul! :v:" "Well done, I'm so proud of you. :zombie:"

Terper fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 11, 2017

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i feel like there's going to be a splash of american heroics in the story somewhere because horikoshi, but otherwise it'll probably stay limited to japan

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I think all-might had just returned to japan from america in the beginning of the series

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sindai posted:

Honestly I'm way more interested in this than anything else in the series.

:same:

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Xarbala posted:

I also wonder about the state of the rest of the world outside Japan, though that's probably beyond the scope of the story.

"Oba Man wants to take away our quirks! :bahgawd:"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Something I wanna see is a not-poo poo interpretation of the main character's power from the early Xanth novels. For those lucky bastards who haven't seen it, it's an inborn magical talent that protects him from harm with absurd supernatural luck. The villain puts the pieces together when he tries to shoot him at point-blank range only for a deer to jump out of the forest at that exact moment. He realizes that if he kept trying, he'd keep getting the same results, for more and more contrived reasons. (The example he comes up with, IIRC, is that a gnat will fly into his face at the exact moment to make him miss.) At the end of the story, he decides to keep it a secret because it clearly wants to be kept a secret.

Now imagine that as a Quirk. Maybe it's 'actually' something like Tokoyami's Dark Shadow, just much more powerful and much more secretive. It would be an absurdly powerful quirk... that is almost completely useless for hero work, even if the user did discover they had it.

Edit: And then, if AfO discovered it... :monocle:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

quote:

Anthony commonly states that he originally intended for Xanth to be a trilogy, and after the wild success of the first three books decided to expand the series to nine books. An extremely devoted fan base persuaded the author to continue writing the series, which is now open-ended. He has since declared, in the Author's Notes of Cube Route, that this 27th book ended the first "magical trilogy" and that he was beginning a new one with the 28th, punning on the fact that 27 is the third power of three, i.e. three cubed.

"Punning."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sometimes bad books have good ideas.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Piers Anthony is is the one who puts really sexist stuff in his books and sexualizes children, and gives writing credit to a child rapist or something in one of his books and has defended the guy, right? Or am I thinking of a different lovely author?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

Piers Anthony is is the one who puts really sexist stuff in his books and sexualizes children, and gives writing credit to a child rapist or something in one of his books and has defended the guy, right? Or am I thinking of a different lovely author?
Sounds about right. In my defense, I read the first three books when I was in middle school and didn't know better.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PMush Perfect posted:

Sounds about right. In my defense, I read the first three books when I was in middle school and didn't know better.

Nah, not blaming you. The guy's books end up on elementary and middle school shelves everywhere somehow. I'm just making sure, because for some reason there's another author, who I'm pretty sure has a name that isn't even remotely similar, who I mix Piers Anthony up with all the time.

There are a couple of threads on the forum where someone reads and summarizes his stuff, I think. From what I hear, they are amusing horror shows. The threads; the books are just bad. Is he also the guy who wrote a book where the protagonist murdered a bunch of unarmed pacifists and was presented by the narration as being in the right? I think he is. Man. His books do not say good things about him. I kind of want to find and read those threads now.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Is he also the guy who wrote a book where the protagonist murdered a bunch of unarmed pacifists and was presented by the narration as being in the right?

That's Terry Goodkind.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Terry Goodkind is what would happen if Ayn Rand and Piers Anthony raised a child.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Akett posted:

That's Terry Goodkind.

FYI this is usually the answer to "who was that fantasy author who wrote [horrible thing] into his books?"

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Elfgames posted:

man i wonder how strong deku's mom could actually be if she trained her quirk

Wasn't there a comic book character with a power like her's? She trained it until she could move atoms and blow poo poo up.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Overhaul escaping then getting ganked by Shigaraki who thanks him for the evil overlord tips but this is for Magne would be pretty great.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

PMush Perfect posted:

Something I wanna see is a not-poo poo interpretation of the main character's power from the early Xanth novels. For those lucky bastards who haven't seen it, it's an inborn magical talent that protects him from harm with absurd supernatural luck. The villain puts the pieces together when he tries to shoot him at point-blank range only for a deer to jump out of the forest at that exact moment. He realizes that if he kept trying, he'd keep getting the same results, for more and more contrived reasons. (The example he comes up with, IIRC, is that a gnat will fly into his face at the exact moment to make him miss.) At the end of the story, he decides to keep it a secret because it clearly wants to be kept a secret.

Now imagine that as a Quirk. Maybe it's 'actually' something like Tokoyami's Dark Shadow, just much more powerful and much more secretive. It would be an absurdly powerful quirk... that is almost completely useless for hero work, even if the user did discover they had it.

The 1983 robot anime Armored Trooper VOTOMS is what you're looking for. Also to a lesser extent the franchise around it, but the original series is definitely a darker exploration of the problems with the man who cannot die.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have to say I have liked how the manga has handled trans characters as in just another part of a larger identity rather then being the sole focus of a character.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The three last episodes of the anime have had their titles revealed:

Episode 36 - Stripping the Varnish

Episode 37 - Bakugo Katsuki: Origin

Episode 38 - Encounter

get hype

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Of course this will make the wait for next year even worse.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Of course this will make the wait for next year even worse.

This season has been great and all, but in the back of my head I'm just thinking "gently caress all this, get the the All Might vs All For One fight already."

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also doesn't it feel early to give Bakugo an origin episode? As in surely the best time for that to drop is when he tells the league of villains to get hosed as he what cares about the most isn't victory itself but when the hero is victorious.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Also doesn't it feel early to give Bakugo an origin episode? As in surely the best time for that to drop is when he tells the league of villains to get hosed as he what cares about the most isn't victory itself but when the hero is victorious.

Most popular character barely got any screen time this arc so they're "rectifying" it

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

The title lines up with the chapter of the same name. Same goes for the other origin episodes shown so far.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

This is the episode/chapter when Bakugou reveals the very thing you mentioned. People just forgot about it, I guess? :shrug:

Terper fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 11, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The volume with the practical tests is even called Bakugo Katsuki: Origin

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PMush Perfect posted:

If you want to see neat powers, the web serial Worm has some really great ones. Like, your post reminded me of this one character who combines short-term precognition with weak telekinesis to basically create the illusion of good luck (for example slightly shifting the trajectory of something heading towards her to miss her).

edit: It also features some "twists" that effectively balance more typical superhero powers. Like, there's one character who can move super fast, but in order to do so shifts into this state where he has far less mass. So when fighting he bombards someone with a bunch of super weak punches to create an effect similar to them being hit by a strong gust of wind. Another has super speed/strength but can only use it a few seconds and has to spend a few seconds "charging" it up between uses. It basically avoids how ridiculous someone like the Flash would normally be.

vvv Presumably he would be incapable of manipulating the weapon in the first place due to his own inability to exhibit enough force to lift it. Also, it's not so much just low mass as it is a "only partially existing" state.

edit: Here we go:

quote:

This breaker state enables him to function without shattering his bones while hammering his feet against the ground ten times a second, from getting torn to shreds by friction, or running out of oxygen due to an inability to breathe. However, it also prevents him from so much as lifting even small objects like cups and pitchers, and it makes his punches almost as weak as an eight-year-old's at high speeds; more like a very strong, sentient wind than anything else when attacking.

So it seems like he considered the weapon thing.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 11, 2017

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Bit of fridge logic for the low mass high speed one though. That's trivially bypassed by using a weapon (even a non-lethal one).

Super speed (as opposed to simply being quick) is one of those things that can't logically be balanced very easily. I'd rather have it hand-waved than half-way explained.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChronoReverse posted:

Bit of fridge logic for the low mass high speed one though. That's trivially bypassed by using a weapon (even a non-lethal one).

Super speed (as opposed to simply being quick) is one of those things that can't logically be balanced very easily. I'd rather have it hand-waved than half-way explained.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
why is he so dreamy lads

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I always liked how he had time to tie up two people between sucker punching everyone in the gut and then posing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ChronoReverse posted:

you do it like The Crawler from Vigilantes. Dude COULD go real fast, but he's not inherently protected from the damage or force if he were to just beef it into a wall or the like at high speed. Something that requires a lot of focus or is only really useful in very precise very short bursts.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I love this goddamn comic book, and I hope Deku gets mad as hell and breaks Overhaul into many pieces in an un-hero-like way, triggering the "with great power comes great responsibility" arc. Not because I think it would be a good arc, but because f-f-f-f-gently caress Overhaul.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Terper posted:

The three last episodes of the anime have had their titles revealed:

Episode 36 - Stripping the Varnish

Episode 37 - Bakugo Katsuki: Origin

Episode 38 - Encounter

get hype

I hope they really nail the Shigaraki face reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ripoff posted:

I love this goddamn comic book, and I hope Deku gets mad as hell and breaks Overhaul into many pieces in an un-hero-like way, triggering the "with great power comes great responsibility" arc. Not because I think it would be a good arc, but because f-f-f-f-gently caress Overhaul.

I love that everyone wants Overhaul to die, and the main difference seems to be who people want to kill or at least brutalize and maim him (Deku, Shiggy, Mirio somehow, etc.). He unites this thread in a way few characters do.