Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

derp posted:

lol at everyone jumping to the defense of a childrens comic book on the Quit Being a loving Child and Read Some Real Literature thread

I am growing stronger and you are mewling like a baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Is that a dragonball reference or

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Real literature can include manga, or any text. It should just be good. Reading a good comic like Oyasumi Punpun is clearly better than reading a bad book.

The other threads mostly talk about stuff from the shiny colorful part of the bookstore, which are never good.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

You know what I'm growing to like this unjustifiably smug hydrocephalic child

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
i am a manga irl

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

derp posted:

oh and that awful name of the wind that i only picked up because so many people went on and on about how beautiful the writing was, but it was just some guy's dnd character selling lamps.

I'm not for sale!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
words are little more than images that the brain recognizes and assigns meaning to like all images

by that standard, all books are manga

*zen*

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
ive started reading satantango

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

derp posted:

no dragons, i havent read fantasy since i was a teen, except grr 10 or 12 years ago and a brief dip into sanderson five or six years ago

lmao are you like 30

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

derp posted:

Is that a dragonball reference or

🤔

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
this thread is terrible now.

i finished a portrait of the artist as a young man, and i'm pretty sure that it's a much better novel than ulysses, in the sense that ulysses is a product of an insane suffusion of language, philosophy, literature, local history, world history, etc. etc. ulysses is excellent, and well worth reading, but to properly come to grips with it is such a herculean project which stretches so far outside of itself on such a variety of levels that i think it's less of a novel and more of its own thing. something else which is formatively difficult like the sound and the fury requires a lot of concentration and attention, but there's nothing as central to it as, on a large scale, the odyssey is to the larger structure of ulysses, and on a small scale knowledge about horse racing or particular cuts of meat or catholic rituals or how printing presses operated or how dock workers smell is to various episodes of it.

anyway, good poo poo, highly recommended as a dip into joyce.

Nostos
Nov 2, 2012

fridge corn posted:

ive started reading satantango

cool, how good is it compared to war and war/melancholy of resistance

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Nostos posted:

cool, how good is it compared to war and war/melancholy of resistance

idk ive just started it. only read melancholy previously

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

CestMoi posted:

lmao are you like 30

if only

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
nice blog, not sure I'd put it on my SA profile tho

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i'll see myself out :tipshat:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Foul Fowl posted:

this thread is terrible now.

it's good actually

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
I thought the Portrait of the Artist was bland and uninteresting and that's why I haven't read Ulysses yet, even though I will someday

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

as someone who went to catholic school, had artistic aspirations and thought he was a lot smarter than he actually was, Portrait hit a little too close to home at times

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I also just reread it and really loved how the world slowly expanded in depth, complexity, and banality, as Stephen got older.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Vogler posted:

I thought the Portrait of the Artist was bland and uninteresting and that's why I haven't read Ulysses yet, even though I will someday

Ulysses is nothing like Portrait of the Artist. You still get some amount of Stephen Dedalus' insufferable mind, but it's in stark contrast with the delightful Bloom.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Vogler posted:

Derp alt found

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe interesting to some here

Fiction: The Drone King
A newly discovered short story by Kurt Vonnegut

its a pretty funny story

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Read the Ruth Ozeki novel someone mentioned earlier in the thread and really enjoyed it. I'm checking out her other novels and wanted to know if there were other authors/books that have a similar style to hers?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Furious Lobster posted:

Read the Ruth Ozeki novel someone mentioned earlier in the thread and really enjoyed it. I'm checking out her other novels and wanted to know if there were other authors/books that have a similar style to hers?

I assume you mean A Tale for the Time Being?

In the case, the book was Magical Realism and boy you are gonna have a great time if you've never read the genre

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I assume you mean A Tale for the Time Being?

In the case, the book was Magical Realism and boy you are gonna have a great time if you've never read the genre

It was actually My Year of Meats I think, cause I put it on my to-read list after OP talked about it

unless someone else mentioned Time Being

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Guy A. Person posted:

It was actually My Year of Meats I think, cause I put it on my to-read list after OP talked about it

unless someone else mentioned Time Being

Yes, it was My Year of Meats.

Nostos
Nov 2, 2012
I'm halfway through nostalgia, finished the broken jug and draußen vor der tür which was really excellent. Has anyone read borcherts other dramas (granvella, yorick der narr)?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Nostos posted:

I'm halfway through nostalgia, finished the broken jug and draußen vor der tür which was really excellent. Has anyone read borcherts other dramas (granvella, yorick der narr)?

I've only read the man outside because it's in English translation with all his short stories, I guess it's pretty good but I don't really know anything about plays.

Nostos
Nov 2, 2012

A human heart posted:

I've only read the man outside because it's in English translation with all his short stories, I guess it's pretty good but I don't really know anything about plays.

I read some of his short stories a while ago i think, I don't remember them that well though. Speaking of good plays, Kleist's Amphitryon is cool, way better than most of Goethe/Klopstock/Schiller etc stuff imo. His writing is way ahead of its time and feels much more modern compared to other german romantics.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Instead of the sea I read red harvest. It had better count as real literature because it was excellent.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Did any children get hosed?

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Did any children get hosed?

Nobody has on screen sex. Poisonville is a hosed up place though, so maybe off-screen?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ahem the proper idiom would be "between the lines"

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

ahem the proper idiom would be "between the lines"

gently caress, owned.

It was interesting that the badass noir guy was short, overweight and constantly drunk unlike the adaptations. Also, the prose, despite being extremely terse, was a delight.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

hey I just finished Swann's Way and uh wow I'm really amazed by it, what do I read next thread? I'll get to the next volume....sometime....

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

my bony fealty posted:

hey I just finished Swann's Way and uh wow I'm really amazed by it, what do I read next thread? I'll get to the next volume....sometime....

Which translation did you read? I finished Lydia Davis' earlier this year and loved it but she didn't do the rest of them.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Alvarez IV posted:

On the subject, I'm looking to read as many books as possible in the vein of Lolita, American Psycho, Junkie, The 120 Days of Sodom, et cetera. Stuff about unrepentant transgressors who society allows to practice their poison. Preferably with good language like Nabokov, de Sade, and Burroughs. I'm not that great a fan of the BEE house style. I heard Tampa by Alissa Nutting was supposed to be decent, but I can't confirm. The vice itself doesn't matter so much to me, just that it is severe.

Probably any Genet but Funeral Rites especially cuz of the Nazis and corpse eating/loving

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I read Erich Auerbach's Mimesis and it was uh loving incredible. Every chapter has at least one knockout observation on some famous definitive work of Western lit. If you're going to read something that's an unabashed apologia for the Western Canon, read Auerbach and not Bloom. Guy looks like a charlatan in comparison. Shame about the translator using words like 'withal' and my edition leaving chunks of Old French or sth untranslated tho.

my bony fealty posted:

I made the mistake of trying to read Proust all at once and spent like three months at it aged 17 and now I don't remember any of it, so you're fine just not slogging through Proust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Alvarez IV posted:

On the subject, I'm looking to read as many books as possible in the vein of Lolita, American Psycho, Junkie, The 120 Days of Sodom, et cetera. Stuff about unrepentant transgressors who society allows to practice their poison. Preferably with good language like Nabokov, de Sade, and Burroughs. I'm not that great a fan of the BEE house style. I heard Tampa by Alissa Nutting was supposed to be decent, but I can't confirm. The vice itself doesn't matter so much to me, just that it is severe.

some have already been said
skagboys, trainspotting by irvine welsh
essential acker by kathy acker
the demon, requiem for a dream by hubert selby jr
cain's book by alexander trocchi
you can't win by jack black
pimp by iceberg slim
dopefiend by donald goines
steps by jerzy kosinski

under the volcano by malcolm lowry is a little more 'literary' and less transgressive

and dennis cooper was already said too, also last days by brian evenson