Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Can my Leatherman count for all 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Hand tools would be:
Large flat head srew driving prybar nah, too obvious
Box cutter
Dykes
Pick set
Tape measure
Multimeter

I am usually trying to troubleshoot electronics or appliances.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

kid sinister posted:

Can my Leatherman count for all 5?

This.

Other than that:

Power drill
Angle grinder
drill press
calipers/measuring tape
soldering iron

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
It ebbs and flows with the projects one has. Currently I'm building the 50 sq m carport, so my Tjep gas nailer is the most used tool I have right now, but it will probably collect a lot of dust after the project is over.
With that in mind, something like:

1. ​TJEP GRF 34/90 GAS 2G nailer
2. Makita 18v Impact driver
3. Makita 18v circ saw
4. Makita 18v recip saw
5. Assorted socket wrenches

E: yeah, I carry a 10 year old leatherman in my practical work clothes, it's invaluable.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I don't have a shop, just do some work around the house:

1) Cordless drill and driver...not sure if they can count as 1, but they are typically used together.
2) Hammer
3) Leatherman (and sometimes what ever blade is within reach if a knife is all I need)
4) Hand screwdriver
5) Mitre saw, but only because I've replaced a LOT of trim and baseboard recently. Otherwise probably needle-nose pliers or wire-strippers.

Oh, unless you count the vicegrips I had to use for months and months to operate my dryer when the knob broke.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I think my top 5 are all hammers. :v:

I do mostly car work, but that can range from electrical wiring/soldering (:can:) to hand tools/sockets/pliers/etc to polishing and detailing stuff. The random things in my toolbox that I use less frequently that I love are long nose hose pliers which are a godsend and an LED headlamp.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-long-reach-hose-grip-pliers-37909.html

These are the cheapies I have and I've found a lot of uses for them for hard to reach areas.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Headlamps don't count otherwise that would be like #1-4 on my list. LED headlamps have changed my life and I've always got one on, even during the day because the garage lighting is bad.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Headlamps don't count otherwise that would be like #1-4 on my list. LED headlamps have changed my life and I've always got one on, even during the day because the garage lighting is bad.

I just updated all the lights in my garage to 100W equivalent (15W) 5000k LED bulbs, and holy poo poo is there a difference. I can't believe I worked for so long with poor lighting.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

There's no excuse to buy this at all but now that I see it I want it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Power-Caulk-and-Adhesive-Gun-Tool-Only-P310G/205648767

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you need to put down a load of construction adhesive or something it'd be invaluable. At that price I'd get it, but they're £60 here.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

drat them!

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Butts posted:

There's no excuse to buy this at all

*lowers voice*

"what do you say we head back to my place and I'll show you my power caulk?"

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

"Variable speed selector allows you to best control the caulk"

I'M IN CONTROL

Machaon
Sep 2, 2008
Might be a stupid question, but does anyone have experience buying crap from JB Tools? They've got some (apparently) rare stuff I've been wanting to get, but I've never heard of them. Are they reputable? Do they take for fuckin' ever to ship stuff? Do they say they have stuff, and then they don't? You know, that sort of poo poo.

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

Machaon posted:

Might be a stupid question, but does anyone have experience buying crap from JB Tools? They've got some (apparently) rare stuff I've been wanting to get, but I've never heard of them. Are they reputable? Do they take for fuckin' ever to ship stuff? Do they say they have stuff, and then they don't? You know, that sort of poo poo.

I have bought from them multiple times for work. The first was a few years ago, and it was slow and they didn't even offer online ordering, but still worked out (sounded like it was being run out of a basement). Now it seems put together and reliable through their website.

There is a company called Integrated Supply Network that has a bunch of warehouses and wholesales to automotive retailers, and I'm pretty sure JB uses them to carry most of their inventory. Brands like OTC and I-R are hard for smaller retailers to get set up to sell direct, so companies like ISN stock and sell to the little guys. All in all, I'd trust them over a random eBay or Amazon seller.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Good amazon daily deal on good cordless drill w/ 2 batteries: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N8I29X2/

It's also a good deal if you are already Bosch and need 2 more batteries

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Is that a good deal? I'm willing to pull the trigger

E: up to 6 days now. That's past impulse

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 11, 2017

Machaon
Sep 2, 2008

WashinMyGoat posted:

I have bought from them multiple times for work. The first was a few years ago, and it was slow and they didn't even offer online ordering, but still worked out (sounded like it was being run out of a basement). Now it seems put together and reliable through their website.

There is a company called Integrated Supply Network that has a bunch of warehouses and wholesales to automotive retailers, and I'm pretty sure JB uses them to carry most of their inventory. Brands like OTC and I-R are hard for smaller retailers to get set up to sell direct, so companies like ISN stock and sell to the little guys. All in all, I'd trust them over a random eBay or Amazon seller.

Well, they're the only place I've found that had all 4 things I was looking for, so I took the chance. They actually have a lot of poo poo I foresee buying in the future, and with good prices too. If they turn out to be good I'll be using them regularly. They've integrated social media "features" into their site pretty heavily. That makes me nervous. We'll see I guess.

Oh, while I'm here, has anyone ever seen or heard of a driver bit that's a schrader core remover? Like this one, except just a regular bit?

Machaon fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 12, 2017

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Looking at getting a true cabinet saw to replace my dewalt contractors saw. There doesn't seem to be anywhere nearby that I can try them out, and I was wondering if there was a big noise difference. Is a cabinet saw noticeably quieter, and is there a brand known for their noise level?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Machaon posted:

I've bought some kinco gloves and other stuff from them over the years, never had any issues. A+, would buy again.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
So, I was thinking I would like to add a router to my collection.

Around $200 (or less)

It'd be light duty DIY home project and stuff building. Current project is building a frame for glass and screen inserts over our transom. This could, I'm sure, be done with a little trim router, but I'm always a bit hesitant lightest duty tool.

Plunge seems like good feature to have...

I noticed a few companies make a multi base option.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dukket posted:

Around $200 (or less)

It'd be light duty DIY home project and stuff building. Current project is building a frame for glass and screen inserts over our transom. This could, I'm sure, be done with a little trim router, but I'm always a bit hesitant lightest duty tool.

Unhelpfulish reply:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0clzXWSaCw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JAMzARLiNw

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Slightly above $200, but this Porter Cable is awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DCBKN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_adYUzb22QQ6Q2

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dukket posted:

Around $200 (or less)

Makita or Hitachi variable speed 3 1/4 HP say no more fam. You can find them for that.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Mambold posted:

Makita or Hitachi variable speed 3 1/4 HP say no more fam. You can find them for that.

Side note, if you're buying Hitachi, don't buy from big sky tools. I lent my Craftsman router to my brother, which he then somehow killed, so he bought me a similar Hitachi router from big sky to replace it, which I of course didn't touch for awhile, so it was a rather unpleasant surprise when I went to use it, only to find out the base was all warped and hosed on the thing, so it's effectively useless as is. Now I've got two busted routers sucking up a bunch of valuable storage space

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 15, 2017

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
Is there any reason to NOT go with the swappable bases like the PC Evilbeard linked above? Looks like most companies offer them, the Bosch set seems to be a best seller for what that is worth.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Dukket posted:

Around $200 (or less)

DeWalt 1.25 HP trim router with fixed base, plunge base, edge guide, and both flat and round base guides: $200

It's up to you as to whether you need more power, but that's a really versatile option for exactly what you described.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dukket posted:

Is there any reason to NOT go with the swappable bases like the PC Evilbeard linked above? Looks like most companies offer them, the Bosch set seems to be a best seller for what that is worth.

Not really, but it depends on what you're going to do. I generally only use the plunge base, but there are times when I use the fixed base (rounding edges, etc).

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

OSU_Matthew posted:

Side note, if you're buying Hitachi, don't buy from big sky tools. I lent my Craftsman router to my brother, which he then somehow killed, so he bought me a similar Hitachi router from big sky to replace it, which I of course didn't touch for awhile, so it was a rather unpleasant surprise when I went to use it, only to find out the base was all warped and hosed on the thing, so it's effectively useless as is. Now I've got two busted routers sucking up a bunch of valuable storage space

Warped as in not flat and machinable? Or warped as in center of spindle axis?

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
Cool, thanks

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

the spyder posted:

Warped as in not flat and machinable? Or warped as in center of spindle axis?

It's hard to see in the photo, but the base is bent like it was dropped on concrete from high up. Big sky sells refurb tools, but I'm shocked this passed inspection. Basically, because some of the screw holes are on the bent half, I can't mount it up into a table, which is 99% of how I want to use a router. And since I didn't buy it, I can't return it :(

I don't know why it never occurred to me before, but I bet I could probably just buy a new base

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 16, 2017

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh dude, is that the m12v(c?)? I have that router in my cnc router, I have zero use for the base, I'd have to look around but I think I still have it and it's yours for free if you want it and pay for shipping. I'm in Iowa.

e: This look right?

Obviously I don't have the handles, but you do! And I marked the base where I was going to cut it for a crazy idea, but changed my mind, but that's just cosmetic. I don't have a plate on it right now, but I miiiiiight have that around in one of my bins as well, if you can tell me what it should look like. Clear, if I recall? Plates are easy enough to get regardless.

Anyhow, let me know if you want it.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 16, 2017

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
One nice thing about dual bases is that, in the event you eventually build or buy a router table, you can leave the fixed base hooked up to a table and can quickly swap between using the plunge base and using the table. FWIW I recently bought the Bosch 2.25hp with the dual bases from Amazon ($189) and it's a nice router.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Picked up my saw stop professional with 36inch fence yesterday and none of my friends give a poo poo about tools so I'm excited posting here.

Now that my 95lb wife and I have unloaded it and gotten it into the mobile base with minimal injuries I am really looking forward to my first cabinet saw use... after a few more days of putting it together.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bad Munki posted:

Oh dude, is that the m12v(c?)? I have that router in my cnc router, I have zero use for the base, I'd have to look around but I think I still have it and it's yours for free if you want it and pay for shipping. I'm in Iowa.

e: This look right?

Obviously I don't have the handles, but you do! And I marked the base where I was going to cut it for a crazy idea, but changed my mind, but that's just cosmetic. I don't have a plate on it right now, but I miiiiiight have that around in one of my bins as well, if you can tell me what it should look like. Clear, if I recall? Plates are easy enough to get regardless.

Anyhow, let me know if you want it.

Oh gently caress yeah, that's exactly it! Yeah, I'd gladly pay for shipping and six pack of you don't mind parting with it! PM sent

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

bobua posted:

Picked up my saw stop professional with 36inch fence yesterday and none of my friends give a poo poo about tools so I'm excited posting here.

Now that my 95lb wife and I have unloaded it and gotten it into the mobile base with minimal injuries I am really looking forward to my first cabinet saw use... after a few more days of putting it together.

Nice. At some point in the next year I want to upgrade/sidegrade to a Sawstop professional from my Grizzly cabinet saw.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Hot tip. Before you begin any kind of major project, or even a minor one, buy a high quality bit set with 1 of all common bits, tx10-20-25-30, sq, pz, etc. And then buy a 5 or 10 pack of high quality tx 20 bits. Ur welcome.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Lucky day on Craigslist. I got a 6 inch craftsman jointer, 2 delta shapers with a bunch of cutters, and a 3hp router for 75 bucks. The router and one of the shapers need new power cords but aside from that and some surface rust everything works good.

And somehow I managed to unload everything by myself with out breaking the machines or my body.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

coathat posted:

Lucky day on Craigslist. I got a 6 inch craftsman jointer, 2 delta shapers with a bunch of cutters, and a 3hp router for 75 bucks. The router and one of the shapers need new power cords but aside from that and some surface rust everything works good.

And somehow I managed to unload everything by myself with out breaking the machines or my body.

Fricken nice score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

Yeah I got lucky and had time to pick it up today and saw the add a couple of hours after he put it up. The guy had bought the place from an old shop teacher and this was the stuff he didn't care about taking with him.

I'll probably sell at least one of the shapers to pay off everything else. The jointer isn't that great but even a relatively short bed one is better than nothing.

This makes up for missing out on a real steal on a big Makita jointer planer combo last week