Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PhazonLink posted:

Man remember when he was The Regressive Wonderboy? Too bad he never outgrew that poo poo.

don't think he's in much danger of outgrowing anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

What's more annoying is that despite being targeted by the alt-right, he's still the same lovely person he's always sbeen with the same lovely beliefs. The only difference now is that he doesn't want to associate himself specifically with Breitbart.

Hell, I saw some prominent left-winger imply that Shapiro is not that horrible and nobody should protest him showing up at Berkeley.

Yeah, Joe Scarborough had a protracted meltdown this morning over how Ben Shapiro wasn't That Bad Of A Guy, and he basically browbeat his cohosts (including alleged liberal Donny Deutsch) into agreeing with him and then spent the last minute of the segment belittling the one guest who didn't (a black man who tried in vain to point out Ben's long history of blatant racism) because they lost their train of thought in the face of Joe's screamy crazy nonsense stream.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Rosie O'Donnel's ex-wife committed suicide. I'm sure talk radio will treat this with respect and dignity come Monday.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Joe Scarborough had a protracted meltdown this morning over how Ben Shapiro wasn't That Bad Of A Guy, and he basically browbeat his cohosts (including alleged liberal Donny Deutsch) into agreeing with him and then spent the last minute of the segment belittling the one guest who didn't (a black man who tried in vain to point out Ben's long history of blatant racism) because they lost their train of thought in the face of Joe's screamy crazy nonsense stream.

But don't worry, because Joe gave up being conservative because some Very Bad Man said mean things about his wife. He's above it all now, objective, through with petty tribalism!

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

BarbarianElephant posted:

I assume there must be some procedure for getting birth certificates for babies found abandoned.

There kind of is.

quote:

The following shall be nationals and citizens of the United States at birth:

a person of unknown parentage found in the United States while under the age of five years, until shown, prior to his attaining the age of twenty-one years, not to have been born in the United States

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Just saw a Facebook repost from a group called "Virginia Flaggers" - who of course have the rebel flag as their symbol and proclaim that removing statues is a liberal attempt to erase history and "destroy our culture (guess whose culture!).

The post was a rant about how they had patience and could outwait the liberals who would soon move on to the next shiny thing. And how they understood history with a depth beyond any possible liberal conception. And how there's no such thing as white supremacy and "they" should quit whining about it!

What the living gently caress planet do they live on? Who do they think are those people with the white robes and hoods? Who were those marchers with the torches, Nazi flags and shouting white supremacist slogans?

They have to be lying to fool idiots, nobody could be that delusional.... Right?
:heritage:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

MrUnderbridge posted:

Just saw a Facebook repost from a group called "Virginia Flaggers" - who of course have the rebel flag as their symbol and proclaim that removing statues is a liberal attempt to erase history and "destroy our culture (guess whose culture!).

The post was a rant about how they had patience and could outwait the liberals who would soon move on to the next shiny thing. And how they understood history with a depth beyond any possible liberal conception. And how there's no such thing as white supremacy and "they" should quit whining about it!

What the living gently caress planet do they live on? Who do they think are those people with the white robes and hoods? Who were those marchers with the torches, Nazi flags and shouting white supremacist slogans?

They have to be lying to fool idiots, nobody could be that delusional.... Right?
:heritage:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

moths posted:

I get my RWM pretty much exclusively through quotes ITT, and I've been distancing myself from Facebook for much the same reason. That said, :barf:.

I get mine from this thread, occasional glances at my Metrozone app that I've yet to disable and a tumblr blog that probably isn't correct 100% of the time. http://liberalsarecool.tumblr.com/

But they post a lot of Shaun King tweets and that dude's been always on the up and up so you take the good with the bad.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

mllaneza posted:

When you're lining up against Superman, you're one of the baddies.

Thread Challenge: Find a libertarian/Randist/Right Wing Screed supporting any incarnation of Lex Luthor.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

Crabtree posted:

Thread Challenge: Find a libertarian/Randist/Right Wing Screed supporting any incarnation of Lex Luthor.

Does Elon Musk count as an incarnation?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Pikavangelist posted:

Does Elon Musk count as an incarnation?

Has he ever blamed superman for not being loved or gotten in his way ever?

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

Crabtree posted:

Has he ever blamed superman for not being loved or gotten in his way ever?

Not that I'm aware of. I'm just convinced that if Superman was real, Elon Musk would be bald.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Peter Thiel.

Though Thiel is more the 80s Super Friends / Leigon of Doom era cartoon Luthor; the dude who dresses in purple jumpsuits and hides in an underground lair surrounded by a table of equally evil creeps who plot miscellaneous diabolical poo poo than he is the comic book/movie/TV Luthor. That version is totally Musk.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

The problem with this is: nobody found Superman before age 5. They found Clark Kent. :eng101:

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Moktaro posted:

The problem with this is: nobody found Superman before age 5. They found Clark Kent. :eng101:

Hmm, so really Clark Kent/DACA.... makes you think...

No it loving doesn't, goddamn, who the gently caress is against Superman? These people are loving nuts.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

XtraSmiley posted:

Hmm, so really Clark Kent/DACA.... makes you think...

No it loving doesn't, goddamn, who the gently caress is against Superman? These people are loving nuts.

Lots of people actually. But that's just because they find him boring and not for 'SJWs coming in and ruinin muh comics' reasons.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think Batman is more of an American folk hero than Superman, honestly. Superman reflects what's usually the American ideal. Batman is usually what Americans actually want.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Cythereal posted:

I think Batman is more of an American folk hero than Superman, honestly. Superman reflects what's usually the American ideal. Batman is usually what Americans actually want.

"Your guilty conscience may, force you to vote Democratic... but deep down inside, you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king!"
- (Former) Mayor Sideshow Bob, 'The Simpsons'

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Cythereal posted:

Not anything like enough guns. Now, the Punisher...

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Is calling undocumented immigrants "invaders" commonplace in RWM circles? That caught my eye in the Superman article.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Keeshhound posted:

Not anything like enough guns. Now, the Punisher...

Yeah, but comics generally don't pretend the Punisher is a hero. :v:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, but comics generally don't pretend the Punisher is a hero. :v:

Comic readers sure as hell do.

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.

Smol posted:

Is calling undocumented immigrants "invaders" commonplace in RWM circles? That caught my eye in the Superman article.

"Immigration without assimilation is invasion" is a common refrain on the far right; basically, they're terrified of the possibility that new immigrants will do to them what Europeans did to the pre-Colombian people of the Americas (which was totally fine because reasons). Look at how often the "disease carrying migrants" trope comes up in their rhetoric.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Cythereal posted:

I agree, but I think it's to the next extreme which is Rorschach.

"Alan Moore posted:

Moore stated that Rorschach was created as a way of exploring what an archetypical Batman-type character—a driven, vengeance-fueled vigilante—would be like in the real world. He concluded that the short answer was "a nutcase".

Alan Moore also stated he didn't like how popular Rorschach ended up because people took him as a hero when he should be considered the furthest thing from.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Cythereal posted:

"Rich dude; owns a corporation; has state-of-the-art equipment; and he uses this to beat up on street-level crime. He doesn't mess with the industrialists, or the super-capitalists--the Murdochs or the Trumps--he really just fuckin' with the purse-snatchers on the corner. Batman is a conservative's wet dream. gently caress Batman."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Leofish posted:

"Rich dude; owns a corporation; has state-of-the-art equipment; and he uses this to beat up on street-level crime. He doesn't mess with the industrialists, or the super-capitalists--the Murdochs or the Trumps--he really just fuckin' with the purse-snatchers on the corner. Batman is a conservative's wet dream. gently caress Batman."

Reginald Hunter is pretty great, yeah.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

OxySnake posted:

Alan Moore also stated he didn't like how popular Rorschach ended up because people took him as a hero when he should be considered the furthest thing from.

My only experience is the movie, but he stood in the face of both overwhelming power and wealth, and said, "The people deserve to know the truth." before being annihilated.

That'll score you a Hell of a lot of points with the Freedom ™ crowd. :911:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Man, there's been a real outbreak of Watchmen discussion lately in almost every thread I have bookmarked. Weird. I wonder why all of a sudden?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Man, there's been a real outbreak of Watchmen discussion lately in almost every thread I have bookmarked. Weird. I wonder why all of a sudden?

There's probably a new Apple watch or something.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Cythereal posted:

In some senses. On one hand, he's a ultra rich white nut job that dresses up at night to beat the poo poo out of the mentally insane and poor people of Gotham. On the other hand, he's the most nonlethal part of Gotham law enforcement ever as he hates guns and hates any sort of gun violence.

Superman, on the other hand, is proto/actual facist honeypot that lures you in with the exact Nietzschean title they want to be known as, Supermen. But the more you look at his historical actions and backstory, he's a big blue liberal immigrant that fights an amoral rich rear end in a top hat that ran for president once. And people usually just write him off as boring because they think every superman story that is possible has already been penned back in the Silver Age.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 16, 2017

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

OxySnake posted:

He probably just named Batman because most people know about him, but the real inspiration for Rorschach was Steve Ditko's Objectivist hero The Question. Guy would straight up murder criminals while lecturing about how A=A. You can see it in the way Rorschach refuses to compromise even if it would save millions of lives. He also reads a right wing rag that's about the same ideological position as Breitbart.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Crabtree posted:

In some senses. On one hand, he's a ultra rich white nut job that dresses up at night to beat the poo poo out of the mentally insane and poor people of Gotham. On the other hand, he's the most nonlethal part of Gotham law enforcement ever as he hates guns and hates any sort of gun violence.

It also depends on who's writing Batman since he's clashed with amoral corporate types before (Batman: TAS did this a fair bit, including an episode where he goes after 3 rich trust-fund assholes who are committing violent armed robbery for the fun of it) and it's been shown on occasion that a lot of lower-level criminals/henchmen get help through the Wayne Foundation to get their lives back on track and get decent jobs that don't involve felonies. It's more the incurably insane like the Joker that are always going to exist as a constant in that universe for Batman to fight (because they need to sell comics).

Plus there's Batman Beyond which, as befitting a cyberpunk future, has corrupt executives coming from everywhere.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

It also depends on who's writing Batman since he's clashed with amoral corporate types before (Batman: TAS did this a fair bit, including an episode where he goes after 3 rich trust-fund assholes who are committing violent armed robbery for the fun of it) and it's been shown on occasion that a lot of lower-level criminals/henchmen get help through the Wayne Foundation to get their lives back on track and get decent jobs that don't involve felonies. It's more the incurably insane like the Joker that are always going to exist as a constant in that universe for Batman to fight (because they need to sell comics).

Plus there's Batman Beyond which, as befitting a cyberpunk future, has corrupt executives coming from everywhere.

Batman Beyond also shows that Batman's methodology failed. He kept fighting symptoms so long while ignoring the root causes.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I mean, is there a "rich guy becomes a superhero to clean up his city" superhero story that addresses, successfully, the root causes of the crimes of his city? "city-wide criminal reforms followed with the necessary sociopolitical adjustment" doesn't seem like a superhero story to me, but I'm an unimaginative prick.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Batman donates billions of dollars to charity, btw. And I'm sure it's actual, useful and honorable organizations, not to people like Joel Orstein.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I don't know why people say Batman only beats up the poor and not billionaires when most of the dudes he's tangling with on the regular are fellow insane rich guys who get quite an asskicking from ol' Bats. And the random henchmen are probably not that insane or particularly poor.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Speaking of, I always thought it was weird that conservatives seem to love the Dark Knight. The main conflict of that movie was that an extremely dangerous terrorist (the Joker) tried to make Batman scared and angry enough that he would wind up killing him, otherwise he would kill lots of people. But in the end, Batman didn't end up doing that, saved both the Joker and managed to resolve the Sophie's Choice he set up for him. Isn't that like, the furthest away from conservatism that you can get?

Not to mention Batman hates guns.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
I think that comic characters are mostly given their qualities for the narrative first and the social implications second but when you look at every millionaire/billionaire superhero you notice that their wealth doesn't fix the system it just alleviates the symptoms. Bruce Wayne/Tony Stark can open as many soup kitchens as they want but unless they change the system (greed, corruption, prejudice, etc) they're just throwing money at a problem that won't go away.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Most superhero movies have an issue of the protagonists being agents of the status quo - they're trying to stop some villain of the week who often has some valid-but-twisted critique of society and a grand plan to change it. The leftwing answer to superhero movies are Kaiju films, where the heroes are equally godlike metaphors, but also the agents of change who destroy society in order to save it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Rick_Hunter posted:

I think that comic characters are mostly given their qualities for the narrative first and the social implications second but when you look at every millionaire/billionaire superhero you notice that their wealth doesn't fix the system it just alleviates the symptoms. Bruce Wayne/Tony Stark can open as many soup kitchens as they want but unless they change the system (greed, corruption, prejudice, etc) they're just throwing money at a problem that won't go away.

Next batman movie has him running for city council to make a difference.