Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

moths posted:

I hope he makes the Ultramarines a whole chapter of evil twins, each with a sinister goatee.

I just had a vision of Goateed Cato Sicarius a la Emperor's Text to Speech Device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Alternative pants posted:

I just had a vision of Goateed Cato Sicarius a la Emperor's Text to Speech Device.

:same:

Also, Marneus Calgar prefers goateed Cato Sicarius and has him replace non goatee Cato Sicarius.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
With primarch robuute guuiliman

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
:frogsiren: New Eisenhorn novel; doesn't seem to be a sequel to Pariah.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I'll buy it at some point, but I'd still rather have Penitent. :sigh:

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Not clear to me if it takes place after Hereticus?

Also is Pariah worth reading? Bequin didn't really make an impression on me when I read the other books.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

This 'new novel' is gonna be like a 100 page novella where nothing happens.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Syncopated posted:

Also is Pariah worth reading? Bequin didn't really make an impression on me when I read the other books.

"first book in a sequel trilogy" sounds like it would be. Possibly after the Ravenor trilogy as well.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Syncopated posted:

Pariah is superb, which is exactly why you shouldn't read it because there's no sequel.

Beautiful writing though.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
What is a neo liberal death cult?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Uncle w Benefits posted:

DnD being DnD. Though really, "neoliberal death cult" is an alarmingly accurate description of the imperium so perhaps its more appropriate in retrospect.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Uncle w Benefits posted:

... The United States?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Make the Imperium great again

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Pariah was meh and I didn't like it very much imo

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Waroduce posted:

Pariah was meh and I didn't like it very much imo

I thought the first half was slow (and a bit confusing to be honest,) but once it became clear what was happening, I enjoyed it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I thought the first half was slow (and a bit confusing to be honest,) but once it became clear what was happening, I enjoyed it.

It actually does benefit from a re-read, because once you know what's really going on, a lot of the stuff in the first half has much more meaning.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm spamming the game threads with this:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/warhammer-rpg-books

Really good deal if you're into the rpg or just Warhammer fluff. 

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Finally got my hands on Black Legion, and it was good.

It can get a bit diluted since there are so many characters now, and they are not introduced as steadily as they were in Talon of Horus. I mean, just the Ezekarion is at 12 people now! But the spotlight falls where it needs to be: Khayon, Abaddon, and the action.

I really liked how a big part of the theme was Khayon learning to hate again . Talk about getting your groove back in odd ways!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm spamming the game threads with this:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/warhammer-rpg-books

Really good deal if you're into the rpg or just Warhammer fluff. 
Holy crap, that IS a good deal. The 1st Edition book is worth the asking price for the fluff alone. Or the injury tables alone. It's a loving great book.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

How are James Swallow's Sisters Books? I'm thinking of picking up the new omnibus that's coming out this weekend.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Arquinsiel posted:

Holy crap, that IS a good deal. The 1st Edition book is worth the asking price for the fluff alone. Or the injury tables alone. It's a loving great book.

Your opponent's head flies off in a random direction, lan­ding 2D6 feet away.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's not even the best one :allears:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The game Battle Brothers feels like it made good use of that damage table in its design documents.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arquinsiel posted:

That's not even the best one :allears:

I like these fan-made ones written by a medical professional.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Those are pretty detailed alright, but they lack the simple charm of "arrow enters one ear and exits the other. Death is instantaneous (unless undead)".

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ok I am confused and I don't want to read the wiki so as to avoid spoilers.

I am reading Fallen Angels in the HH series and the Librarian in Caliban is using his psychic staff/abilities (in the 200th year of the Crusade) I thought the Emperor had banned that poo poo decades before at the Council of Nikea? They haven't fallen to Chaos yet as far as I know, but it sounds as if he has been using his abilities (and the dude that trained him) for long enough that even if they have fallen to Chaos and I just don't know it yet the timelines don't match up.

What gives? If it is a story spoiler I will find out later in the book don't spoil it please.

Edit: I skipped the first Dark Angels book earlier in the HH series because it sounded like it wasn't related much to "current" HH events and the thread said I could safely skip it. Was the answer in there?

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 16, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Nope. Use of psychic powers was generally discouraged but not forbidden prior to Nikea, subject to individual legion preferences like the Space Wolves and Thousand Sons embracing them (while swearing they're not actually psykers for the Wolves), and others like the Death Guard and World Eaters effectively banning them. The Librarian program was started by the Thousand Sons, Blood Angels, and White Scars to formalize and codify the use of psykers among the Legions.

The Council of Nikea was the Emperor eventually addressing whether psychic powers were permissible for the Legions, and he said no. The Thousand Sons and White Scars completely ignored him from the beginning, and by the time of the Siege of Terra everyone except the World Eaters was openly training and using psykers.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Technowolf posted:

How are James Swallow's Sisters Books? I'm thinking of picking up the new omnibus that's coming out this weekend.

James Swallow is garbo

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

James Swallow is garbo

Yeah., on the latest IC, Carl mentions James Swallow, and you can tell by his voice that he isn't thrilled with his writing and goes out of his way to say something like "I'm sure if he wrote the BA books today, he'd do them differently."

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Chris Wright's book that focuses on the custodians was just released. I know there was someone I'm the thread that was asking if there was a books about them earlier.

Azubah fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 17, 2017

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Nope. Use of psychic powers was generally discouraged but not forbidden prior to Nikea, subject to individual legion preferences like the Space Wolves and Thousand Sons embracing them (while swearing they're not actually psykers for the Wolves), and others like the Death Guard and World Eaters effectively banning them. The Librarian program was started by the Thousand Sons, Blood Angels, and White Scars to formalize and codify the use of psykers among the Legions.

The Council of Nikea was the Emperor eventually addressing whether psychic powers were permissible for the Legions, and he said no. The Thousand Sons and White Scars completely ignored him from the beginning, and by the time of the Siege of Terra everyone except the World Eaters was openly training and using psykers.

See that just confuses me more. The specific use in the book I am talking about is in the 200th year of the campaign during the beginning Horus Heresy, so it was long after the Council of Nikea. That psyker also references his teacher who presumably had been using his powers for long before as well. Which would mean the Dark Angels never stopped using their Psykers after the council for the timeline to make sense.

Another thing that has me confused after reading the wiki entry on the Council is that it sounds like everyone at the Council knew about the dangers of the warp and daemon possession etc, but in the first few books of the Horus Heresy most of the characters except the Primarchs seem completely unaware the warp is anything but that which they travel through in interstellar trips.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

D-Pad posted:

See that just confuses me more. The specific use in the book I am talking about is in the 200th year of the campaign during the beginning Horus Heresy, so it was long after the Council of Nikea. That psyker also references his teacher who presumably had been using his powers for long before as well. Which would mean the Dark Angels never stopped using their Psykers after the council for the timeline to make sense.

Another thing that has me confused after reading the wiki entry on the Council is that it sounds like everyone at the Council knew about the dangers of the warp and daemon possession etc, but in the first few books of the Horus Heresy most of the characters except the Primarchs seem completely unaware the warp is anything but that which they travel through in interstellar trips.

I think that the understanding was generally that the Warp itself is hazardous to material life, but the knowledge of the sentient beings that dwelled there (i.e. the gods of Chaos) was actively suppressed.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Technowolf posted:

I've only read the first one, which was…inoffensive, I suppose. Nothing stellar, but at least the prose didn't actively take me out of the book the way that of certain other BL authors sometimes does.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Are there any Dark Angels books that aren't garbage?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

MMAgCh posted:

I've only read the first one, which was…inoffensive, I suppose. Nothing stellar, but at least the prose didn't actively take me out of the book the way that of certain other BL authors sometimes does.
Second one is a bit better.
And there's not a whole lot of books with the sisters to begin with, so I'd still recommend them for someone that's into the sisters of battle.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

D-Pad posted:

World Eaters didn't follow the edict issued by the Council of Nikea. They stopped recruiting librarians after they found out the butchers nails was incompatible with Psykers.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

D-Pad posted:

The Horus heresy started 5-10 years after the council of Nikea.

Horus' fall on Davin is given as 004.m31, with the actual betrayal happening a few years after that. The council was ~001.m31, with the great crusade starting at the very latest in 798.m30, but probably a few years earlier.

Add to that the flexibility of the timeline (both in terms of writer's discretion and the in universe explanation of the "the warp is a pain in the rear end and doesn't have linear time"; ie warp travel and warp communication can also be time travel) and the fact that a lot of legions just kind of half ignored the council of Nikea anyway (the Scars and Wolves outright ignored it, among loyal legions), it probably all more or less fits.

e: I think the Dark Angels left on Caliban were specifically directed to ignore the Nikea Edict (or Luther kept it from them), but either way this would only have been 5 or so years after the Edict so the characters in that book would still have been trained as Librarians and stuff before then.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 17, 2017

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Endman posted:

Are there any Dark Angels books that aren't garbage?

Far as I know they're all written by Gav Thorpe, so no. Unremembered Empire by Abnett, while one of his weakest books, does have some cool DA appearances.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
If the Emperor had a Podcast - Episode 1: The Last Church

Great follow up to the pilot, though I'm really missing Kitten these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

If the Emperor had a Podcast - Episode 1: The Last Church

Great follow up to the pilot, though I'm really missing Kitten these days.

Did they pretty much write themselves into a corner with the main series, or are they just taking their time with the newer episodes?