Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Mercury Ballistic posted:

This house near me got a double take from me:
This can't be right, can it? https://imgur.com/gallery/QjB9L

I've always hated asymmetric roofs (though they make some sense on old saltboxes, I guess), but on top of that ... are the walls all out of plumb or us it a side effect of the photo? I feel like I'm looking at that house with the wrong pair of glasses or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This can't be right, can it?

Take a video of the waterfall next time it rains.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Look at the windows, now look at the top of the garage door. Does the door open into the floor of that room.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Look at the windows, now look at the top of the garage door. Does the door open into the floor of that room.

Might be a lofted garage? Those doors look tall to begin with.

E - Yeah, I just ran and checked mine (because goony). I have 4 rows on mine, those have 5 so 10 foot opening?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Platystemon posted:

“private balcony”
It has to be a temporary wall... Has to be... Erected to prevent damage to the house from whatever is happening on the neighboring lot. To be taken down when the excavation/foundation work is done or some such reason.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Kaethela posted:

I wonder if you could piss into the sink from up there.

Sometimes...

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

It looks like the builders just kinda gave up after building the front part of the house.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hey, a step-down garage could be the next big thing!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is what's mind loving me. I need someone to go here and peep in the window.

If those windows go into the garage then the garage is ridiculously tall, a full 2 story "great room" style garage. If not.... then how does it even work? Are the windows fake? I've absolutely seen garages with "fake" windows. I need to know more.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Baronjutter posted:

Crappy construction memory triggered!

Back when I was still living with my folks we had some new neighbours move in down the street. A couple with a kid and everyone got a really weird vibe off of them right away. Dude was like an alien trying to seem like a normal sociable human. Mom was fairly quiet and always seemed to be looking over her shoulder or scanning the room for threats. She was some academic from China who had to "flee" for political reasons. Kid was normal.

A few months after they moved in people noticed they were extremely paranoid about their home security and their child's security and privacy. They'd just drop odd little comments here and there about lurking child predators or kidnappers. They'd make little comments about how they got some super secure SUV because it was the hardest to break into or carjack. They got special reinforced and tinted windows for the back so that people can't see their kid when they drove him to school because of course they wouldn't let him walk to school with his friends, that's not secure. I mean not only could the kid be snatched at any moment, anyone could just look at him!

Where things got really weird is the plywood fort they built around their entire property. They didn't build a fence or hire someone to put up something nice, they just bought a load of plywood and 2x4's and built a 6' or so white painted plywood wall around their property along with a big rolling gate. It's a rich neighbourhood but there's no HOA or anything but people started to take notice of the "plywood fortress" and were pretty displeased with it. It wasn't very well built, sagged in areas, didn't follow the terrain nicely, and had a bunch of angled bits of wood propping it up from behind. Most of it was just plywood sitting on the dirt too. Why did they build it? Well they needed a wall for security, and privacy. It had to be tall enough so an adult could not peep over the fence and see their kid, and it had to be totally solid with no gaps or holes that would let someone spy a look at their kid. Wife was also paranoid about chinese agents or something.

When they moved out and sold their house they were SHOCKED that the first thing the new owners did was tear down the plywood hoarding. Why would he do that?? The new owner has 3 kids, why would they not be so happy to already have a pedophile privacy palisade? Now just anyone on the street could sneak a peek of his kids!! He also made sure the wall was listed as a feature for the house, he was so proud of it and thought everyone would want it. poo poo was rotting only a year after he built it.

Are you sure he was actually their kid?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

HycoCam posted:

It has to be a temporary wall... Has to be... Erected to prevent damage to the house from whatever is happening on the neighboring lot. To be taken down when the excavation/foundation work is done or some such reason.

Maybe, but it looks permanent to me; like the adjacent row house got extended backward.

This sort of thing happens all the time in commercial buildings. I'm going to lose some windows in my work building because the lot next door is being redeveloped and the view is going to turn into cinder block.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

On the plus side, I'm seeing at least a 10' 15' ceiling in the garage, there. Plenty of room for a vehicle lift.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 19, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PetraCore posted:

Are you sure he was actually their kid?

possession is 9/10 of the law

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs
Forever ago in the thread someone posted about an awesome home inspector in bc. Does anyone remember/know how to find his contact info?

For some thread content, in one of the houses I looked at, every room had a floor that sloped in a different direction. I felt like I was walking around that house while drunk.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
http://tedgilmour.ca/

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Jordanis posted:

I never picked the aggregate off myself, but I remember seeing the pits where other students had.

I remember most of the pits being filled with gum kids had shoved in there so I learned pretty quick not to touch them

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Darchangel posted:

On the plus side, I'm seeing at least a 10' 15' ceiling in the garage, there. Plenty of room for a vehicle lift.

I walked by again today, I could see the garage door rail in the bottom of the windows, so that may be the case. But why?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I walked by again today, I could see the garage door rail in the bottom of the windows, so that may be the case. But why?

Darchangel posted:

Plenty of room for a vehicle lift.

I don't expect those of you not posting from Automotive Insanity to understand the appeal.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Darchangel posted:

I don't expect those of you not posting from Automotive Insanity to understand the appeal.

If I could justify removing the attic in my garage to put in a lift, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But the storage space is worth way more to me.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“Not my job.”

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Dunno. Not a car dude per se, but they seem to make sense. A relatively wealthy step-family member has two Corvettes (one for the wife and one for him) and their two daily drivers. The 'Vettes live on lifts while the daily drivers rest underneath.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

frozenphil posted:

"Mother gently caress! Jian-Yang!"

You're alright.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

a denizen of Reddit posted:

Virginia – I sold a house last month, closing was on August 31st. I was served today with a small claims suit of $5,000 because of “leaving litter in the house and causing distress to the new homeowner”

Blacksburg, VA
I sold a house last month that I have lived in for a little over 10 years.
I loved this house and took great care of it. I am a very thorough and nice person. I left highly detailed notes about the house for the new homeowner, including about three dozen sticky notes throughout the house.
The sticky notes were totally benign, most pertained to quirks about the house or placement of where a light switch turned on what plug. So I would put a note next to a light switch and another next to said plug and say “This switch powers the plug with the green sticky note” others said “Rain hits the house from this side, be sure to double check the security of the window or water leaks from this corner.”
The detailed document that I left contained everything from warranty info on the home appliances including who last serviced the HVAC system, when it was installed, stuff on the water heater, roof stuff, etc.
It also had just a list of things like how to take care of a few different trees and shrubs in the yard, what landscaping company I used, the last plumber that came out to fix a drainage issue, who last dealt with the septic system, on and on…I trust you get where I am going with how thorough my list was.
Some backstory: When my parents purchased a home when I was a kid, the previous homeowner did this for them, and it stuck with me. My father used the pages of detailed notes for years, and I thought that was one of the most kind and amazing things a previous homeowner could do for a new homeowner and I decided to mimic it.
Now I am being sued and have a court date in a few weeks because, according to the homeowner, I have caused him profound stress with respect to how to run the house, and that I left litter in the house (I assume he means the sticky notes).
While I do not think his claim is actionable, a part of me has me concerned that he may attempt to argue that I owe him money because I documented the quirks about the house.
Based off what I have posted here on its own, does this new homeowner have any valid claim to this suit?

tl;dr: OP documents their house. No good deed (pun acknowledged) goes unpunished and now OP has to defend themselves from a bogus lawsuit in small claims court.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Platystemon posted:

tl;dr: OP documents their house. No good deed (pun acknowledged) goes unpunished and now OP has to defend themselves from a bogus lawsuit in small claims court.

The lawsuit is out of line, but THREE DOZEN sticky notes?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Platystemon posted:

:wrong:

It has walls on two of four sides.

There are untaxable.

I am cornholio, I need teepee for my tax loophole.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I am cornholio, I need teepee for my tax loophole.

:golfclap:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

therobit posted:

I can see the new homeowners perspective that all these notes is making him freak out that the house he just moved in to has all sorts of problems. A lawsuit is silly though. If anything, I would start looking to see if he left a note on something he should have disclosed when selling. That could really bite the old owner in the rear end.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

he should just have put together a manual

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

he should just have put together a manual

It sounds like he did that too. Having ripped my house to the studs and back I'll likely put together a bunch of documentation when I eventually sell it, but having seen this cautionary tale I'll ask the new owners in writing if they want it first (and make it contractually not a thing).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I would kill to have documentation on my house but then again it would probably be more like "the pipe behind this drywall was leaking but we wanted to sell so we just patched the ceiling" and probably "this didn't have a permit".

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I personally would have liked to have known my house was renovated by a narcoleptic. I mean, it all makes so much more sense now.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

The Dave posted:

I would kill to have documentation on my house but then again it would probably be more like "the pipe behind this drywall was leaking but we wanted to sell so we just patched the ceiling" and probably "this didn't have a permit".

I've done that when buying cars private party. "Okay we've signed the title, and you have my cash. Did I miss anything that I need to have taken care of?"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

blugu64 posted:

I've done that when buying cars private party. "Okay we've signed the title, and you have my cash. Did I miss anything that I need to have taken care of?"

I do that but I usually can't hear their answer through their laughter.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I despair for the human race.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wow just cut the loving ladder.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

therobit posted:

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Platystemon posted:

If the Home Inspection Contingency Addendum (Form 600D) was used--there isn't a case.

2. INDEMNIFICATION; REPAIR OBLIGATION
Purchaser agrees to indemnify and hold Seller, Listing Firm and Selling Firm harmless from and against any and
all claims, liability, loss, actions and suits resulting from the performance of the inspections, and agrees to repair
any damage caused as a result of the actions of Purchaser or its contractors on the Property in connection with
this Addendum.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wouldn't there have been a final walkthrough when they hand over the keys, and if they had an issue with the post-its wallpapering the walls, that would have been the time to address it? Like, they were fine with it then but not later on? Tough poo poo, buddy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

The Immovable Ladder of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre

quote:

The care over the church is shared by no less then six denominations. The primary custodians are the Greek Orthodox, Armenian Apostolic and Roman catholic church, with lesser duties shared by Coptic, Ethiopian and Syriac Orthodox churches. The whole edifice is carefully parceled into sections, some being commonly shared while others belonging strictly to a particular sect. A set of complicated rules governs the transit rights of the other groups through each particular section on any given day, and especially during the holidays. Some of the sections of the church however still remain hotly disputed to this day.

The famous immovable ladder is a bizarre outcome of this religious stubbornness pushed to extremes. Some time in the first half of the 19th century, someone has placed a ladder up against the wall of the church. No one is sure who he was, or more importantly, to which sect he belonged. The ladder remains there to this date. No one dares touch it, lest they disturb the status quo, and provoke the wrath of others. The exact date when ladder was placed is not known but the first evidence of it comes from 1852.

The ladder hasn’t moved since.