Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

reignofevil posted:

Arguably with dende in charge it's a miracle shenron can bring you a glass of water.

Hey Dende does an alright job as guardian, he even powered the dragon up. If we wanna talk about poo poo management, that's entirely on Shin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Momomo posted:

Hey Dende does an alright job as guardian, he even powered the dragon up. If we wanna talk about poo poo management, that's entirely on Shin.

His universe is wrecking this tournament and you still think he's done a bad job?!?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sassassin posted:

Frost as an underhanded scheming little poo poo wasn't "Frieza-lite". Classic Frieza was always upfront and honest about his intentions. Maybe modern Frieza is Frost-lite? I haven't seen many of his episodes.

Nah Freeza is still Freeza.

The distinct difference between Freeza and Frost is that Freeza is, as you said, overtly honest. He has no reason NOT to be honest.

The only time he bends his knee is in the presence of Beerus, and even that is eroding as he comes more and more into his true power.

Frost is still trying to weasel around and lie, like pretending he had gotten weaker when facing Vegeta. Freeza I don't think is capable of that kind of ploy unless he was literally on the verge of death. See the end of his fight with Goku.

He begs for mercy because he's dying and out of energy, then Goku gives him energy and he decides, gently caress it, gonna try and take you with me. Frost would have just left.

I guess the real difference between Frost and Freeza is, Freeza has pride. Frost really doesn't.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

sassassin posted:

His universe is wrecking this tournament and you still think he's done a bad job?!?

If he was any good at his job they wouldn't be in the tournament in the first place

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

sassassin posted:

He had absolutely nothing to do with that. Remember when he claimed he could beat Freiza in a single punch, and thought that was impressive?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Momomo posted:

He had absolutely nothing to do with that. Remember when he claimed he could beat Freiza in a single punch, and thought that was impressive?

Based on the other universes drat right it is.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Kashuno posted:

some things that are silly storytelling in DBZ, from Raditz to Frieza:

The fact that somehow, after knowing his tail didn't incapacitate him, Goku thinks he should grab Raditz tail

The fact that even after this fails, Piccolo tries to grab Nappa's tail.

The tail thing worked on Raditz, Goku was just a dumbass. He didn't try it the second time because he knew Raddy could just cut it off.

Now with Nappa, only Krillin knew that a Saiyan can train their tail out of the Earthlings. Maybe he really wanted Piccolo to get his rear end whupped.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

sassassin posted:

Both Beerus and Shin's poo poo management skills in a funny way saved their skin. Things go so bad that Darwinism took control and only the really really strong survived so U7 are just a bunch of behemoth's compared to most other universes. That or should be thankful Goku fell down the cliff and decided to fight everyone was his real mission.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mordaedil posted:

Jesus Christ, dragon ball is basically Saturday morning cartoons level writing, but here we have some guy claiming it is high art.

It's entertaining to watch, but that's kinda it. Claiming it is more than that is giving it too much credit.

I do agree with Blue Star on one thing, and that is the lost potential in Frost. He's really boring as he is.

Holy WOW

I never said anything was "high art". I said the story from when Raditz comes to when Goku fights Freeza was great. Saying something is great isnt the same as declaring it high art. I'm not sure why you feel the need to put words in my mouth. Did my criticizing DB Super tick you people off THAT much?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Blue Star posted:

Holy WOW

I never said anything was "high art". I said the story from when Raditz comes to when Goku fights Freeza was great. Saying something is great isnt the same as declaring it high art. I'm not sure why you feel the need to put words in my mouth. Did my criticizing DB Super tick you people off THAT much?

Defend Snake Way

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kashuno posted:

some things that are silly storytelling in DBZ, from Raditz to Frieza:

Piccolo shot an energy blast at the moon and blew it up.

Good storytelling != realistic

A woman tries to steal Goku's heart and then turns into a giant snake
Filler so doesnt count. But that was still a better episode than much of what we get in Super.

King Kai never trains any of the dead Z warriors to use Kaioken
Not really, since the Kaio Ken was supposed to be a difficult and dangerous technique, so only Goku could master it. At least, compared to yamcha, Tien and Chiaotzu. Maybe Gohan, Vegeta, Trunks, Piccolo, etc. could have learned it but they never got the chance.

The fact that somehow, after knowing his tail didn't incapacitate him, Goku thinks he should grab Raditz tail
He took a gamble that it might work since the technique DID work on him at one point. It was worth a shot and it actually worked. Once.

The fact that even after this fails, Piccolo tries to grab Nappa's tail.
It didnt fail; Raditz really was incapacitated when Goku grabbed his tail. But Goku let raditz go because he was too trusting. Piccolo had no intention of letting Nappa go no matter how much he begged. Unfortunately for Piccolo, it actually didnt work on Nappa. :)

quote:

HELL
Goku literally being able to tell Shenron to gently caress off when people wished for him to come home

This is your only good point but it comes at the very end of this stretch of story so it isnt too bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Listing it out like that man DB is dumb.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Goku spent 13 episodes on Snake Way and not one of those was as good as the baseball episode

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nessus posted:

Frost had interactions with other characters that weren't "be horrifically cruel," "smirk," or "lose a fight," so he's already a more rounded character than everyone's apparent husbando

LOL not really. But even if that were true, Freeza is back and having more character interactions, so now Frost is completely superfluous. Which wouldn't have happened if the writers didnt, in a stroke of brilliance, decide to make Frost Freeza-Lite to begin with. :)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Honestly they just shouldn't have brought Frieza back to begin with and let Frost do what Frieza is gonna do.

It's not like you would be missing much.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Listing it out like that man DB is dumb.

Yeah it's great

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Andrast posted:

Yeah it's great

It is but that is kind of the opposite of what that post is trying to accomplish.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

It is but that is kind of the opposite of what that post is trying to accomplish.

What was I trying to accomplish?

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

Honestly they just shouldn't have brought Frieza back to begin with and let Frost do what Frieza is gonna do.

It's not like you would be missing much.

True we havent seen much of either character. So far it's been kind of a waste. More reason why DB Super kinda sucks y'all v:shobon:v

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I mean I know they brought Freeza back with the intention of having him do something big but right now he's pretty much there to take up screentime every once in a while so I'm just waiting for the payoff.

Also Frost is hardly Freeza-lite. Freeza's greatest defining trait is utter arrogance to the point of self-sabotage, which Frost doesn't display very much at all. (except at the start of his fight with Vegeta? that was a weird moment.)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I assume defending your idea that DB is near flawless storytelling instead of a big dumb cartoon.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

I assume defending your idea that DB is near flawless storytelling instead of a big dumb cartoon.

Well I'm sorry it went over your head but I dont feel like spelling it all out. Sorry.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blue Star posted:

Well I'm sorry it went over your head but I dont feel like spelling it all out. Sorry.

I literally just posted why you did it why would I need you to spell it out.

I know you have moved the goalposts a bit but I don't think you have fundamentally changed the game.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

I literally just posted why you did it why would I need you to spell it out

No I mean, spell out why I think DB is good storytelling, at least the raditz to freeza stretch of it. Dont feel like doing.

When did I move the goalposts?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
it looks like other than Gohan/Frieza there will be Goku/Ribriane where she gets powered up when Helles is complimenting Goku.
Why do all the women get powered by jealousy?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

Jesus Christ, dragon ball is basically Saturday morning cartoons level writing, but here we have some guy claiming it is high art.

It's entertaining to watch, but that's kinda it. Claiming it is more than that is giving it too much credit.

I do agree with Blue Star on one thing, and that is the lost potential in Frost. He's really boring as he is.

maybe something as influential and well received as db over the course of its history can be considered high art considering some of the utter shite people claim is art (damien hirst's spirograph scribbles, video games)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

If you are radically and arbitrarily redefining high art then sure.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

If you are radically and arbitrarily redefining high art then sure.

I feel bad for you, friend.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blue Star posted:

I feel bad for you, friend.

I feel bad for you to, needing to twist yourself to convince yourself that a story must have good storytelling to enjoy it, sad.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Good lord this is a dumb argument

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
some anime has great storytelling and could be considered high art.

any iteration of DB in not this

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Pureauthor posted:

Also Frost is hardly Freeza-lite. Freeza's greatest defining trait is utter arrogance to the point of self-sabotage, which Frost doesn't display very much at all. (except at the start of his fight with Vegeta? that was a weird moment.)

yeah that was weird. why would he piss off the guy who can and has whupped his rear end before, who apparently didn't even notice him at the time?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

notaspy posted:

How did those people find out? The gokuniverse had no idea until the last moment and that was limited to the z fighters.

I thought the leak might've been from the angel, or that the furry trio explained the stakes while trying to find team members and news spread out from there.

Kashuno posted:

it looks like other than Gohan/Frieza there will be Goku/Ribriane where she gets powered up when Helles is complimenting Goku.
Why do all the women get powered by jealousy?

This really does make it feel like Goku was quick to forget about Roshi now that he's got someone strong to fight.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Dragon ball and Dragon ball z are high art. GT and Super are not. Thems just the facts

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:wrong:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Dragon Ball... is good.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
If you are radically and arbitrarily redefining good then sure.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

my posts for example are art as art is fluid and beyond definition

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Forget it, thread. it's punchmans.

I think Goku v Ribrianne will be an interesting fight, if only to see what Ri's powers are and to see if she actually gets to use them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Art: 1.the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power

Dragonball - if you don't feel emotions when Jackie Chun and Goku face off in the first tournament, then you're dead inside. Verdict: ART
Dragonball Z - Piccolo sacrificing his life for Gohan. Verdict: ART
Dragonball GT - who gives a gently caress. Verdict: NOT ART
Dragonball Super - Goku and Krillin train together to get Roshi some magic weed. Verdict: ART