Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
how long until Kale and Caulifla learn the fusion dance?

e; a great page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Can I petition that starting in 2017 we get the J outta here

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I also have an opinion on Dragon Ball.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

a cartoon duck posted:

I also have an opinion on Dragon Ball.

This better be good!!! :catbert::mad::supaburn:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Kashuno posted:

e; a great page snipe

Fusions 2 is going to be some fun poo poo I tell you what

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Kashuno posted:

e; a great page snipe

Fusions 2

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

seiferguy posted:

Souls in hell getting purified and reincarnated into newborns sounds pretty Buddhist to me!
It is, but also fairly satirical in nature- the presentation of the afterlife stuff has been shown as a bureaucracy. Yenma is shown as overworked and tired etc.

mycot posted:

I thought the Celestial Bureaucracy was an actual part of Chinese spiritualism in general. Like not that anything in Dragonball is treated very seriously but that part didn't come completely out of nowhere.
You might be right (I don't know enough to say for sure), but even with that in mind a character like Yenma is meant to evoke images of stereotypical modern Japanese salarymen or office workers or whatever specifically. There's comedic undercutting there that's not present with that stuff we discussed in the 13 movies.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 20, 2017

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I thought the Celestial Bureaucracy was an actual part of Chinese spiritualism in general. Like not that anything in Dragonball is treated very seriously but that part didn't come completely out of nowhere.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

mycot posted:

It's more based off of pop culture depictions of the concept, but basically, yes. Fortunately soon Goku will kill everything he disapproves of

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

goku will beat everything he disapproves of and challenge them to a rematch later

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Honestly the best thing super did was bring everyone up towards Goku’s level. They aren’t matching him anytime soon, but at least people outside Goku and occasionally Gohan/Vegeta can look good

The players from super so far aren’t quite there yet, but Beerus, Whis, And Hit have been on par or better than early Gohan and Vegeta in terms of how good they are

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 20, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

a cartoon duck posted:

My favorite part of the wiki is that they have a new name for Kale's super saiyan form every week.

This week it's Super Saiyan Green apparently.

yeah that's totally made up

Her controlled form doesn't have a name but the big broly form is officially super saiyan (berserk)

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

So Jiren is Sectoid Saitama then.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
https://twitter.com/jetgreguar/status/910616950769729536

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Kashuno posted:

Honestly the best thing super did was bring everyone up towards Goku’s level. They aren’t matching him anytime soon, but at least people outside Goku and occasionally Gohan/Vegeta can look good

Gohan is consistently the most disappointing fightman in Dragonball anything.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Gohan is consistently the most disappointing fightman in Dragonball anything.

He's the embodiment of the original dragonball spirit - that genetics & potential don't mean poo poo if you don't put the effort in and eat and sleep and learn.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I feel like Gohan would have benefitted better from the turtle style training of milk runs and plowing fields with your hands instead of Piccolo's year long survival course.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

seiferguy posted:

I feel like Gohan would have benefitted better from the turtle style training of milk runs and plowing fields with your hands instead of Piccolo's year long survival course.

On the other hand, Gohan was way stronger after the year than Goku was when Raditz landed.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

seiferguy posted:

He has soft hands like a boy while his peers have the callouses of men.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

seiferguy posted:

Another ten years to grow up first might have made him associate training with fun and good times as well.

Now Gohan wants to make daddy proud and he's got that psycho bloodlust in him but he's not got the mentality or work ethic to ever be the best. For him training is something you do only when the wolves are at the door, it's not part of a lifestyle.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How different a person Gohan would have been if Goku had just trained with him on a regular basis, in between his studies.

I still love the fact that Gohan, by the end of the Cell Saga, was as old as Goku was at the start of Dragon Ball. Poor kid went through some poo poo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

One of the things I genuinely like about Dragon Ball is that Goku's sons dont outshine him and arent interested in his lifestyle. Most generational programs have kids who hate their parents or overtake them in the thing they were good at while DB is very content to show Gohan as not super into his dad's stuff, competent and happy in his own way, and not resentful. Its honestly nice.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Burkion posted:

Poor kid went through some poo poo

"But it was better, right?"

"...No."

TenCentFang fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 21, 2017

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

Cell struggles because he starts out with a goal but once he reached it he has nothing else to do.

So they slap a generic goal on him and shrug.

Cell is bad but no worse than Zamasu. :)

Anyway, Broly is bad and so are all of the movies. DBGT is bad. DB Super is...not great. Original DB and first half of DBZ are great. :)

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I would like to see Gohan actually learn the Kame Style from Krillin, it would be a good slice of life episode

Actually, I really liked Krillin's character development in Super, he was out of martial arts for a long time but once he started training again he never forgot his Kame principles and worked hard to get back into shape

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 21, 2017

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'd rather see cell come back than zamasu

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like some of the movies

dead zone (minus gohan) and world's strongest are really good. I liked the fights in the early dbz movies a lot

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Stairmaster posted:

https://youtu.be/JIuYQ_4TcXg?t=9

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

Cell never hugged himself.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bring back the cell jr's and turn them into a baseball team for yamcha to coach

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

reignofevil posted:

Cell never hugged himself.

but he totally would if thats something hed do

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It always kind of bothered me that Gohan's "signature" move is the Kamehameha. It feels like only people that trained under Master Roshi should be using that, even if he did train under Goku. The Masenko is really more fitting, especially since they gave it to Trunks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

masenko used to be gohan's signature move up until he trained with his dad, at which point I don't think he ever used it again

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair

It didn't ever do poo poo

I'm not even sure what the point of it was. Gohan should have learned Special Beam Cannon like his real dad

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Manatee Cannon posted:

I like some of the movies

dead zone (minus gohan) and world's strongest are really good. I liked the fights in the early dbz movies a lot

they had some real good animation

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Momomo posted:

It always kind of bothered me that Gohan's "signature" move is the Kamehameha. It feels like only people that trained under Master Roshi should be using that, even if he did train under Goku. The Masenko is really more fitting, especially since they gave it to Trunks.

It made sense for Gohan to use the Kamehameha after Cell to reinforce him taking up Goku's mantle, but we all know how that turned out so welp.

Manatee Cannon posted:

masenko used to be gohan's signature move up until he trained with his dad, at which point I don't think he ever used it again

I don't even remember Gohan using it other than like, once, on Namek.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Burkion posted:

To be fair

I'm not even sure what the point of it was. Gohan should have learned Special Beam Cannon like his real dad

He might have had some hang-ups about learning the move that murked his dad

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Burkion posted:

To be fair

dude "it didn't even do poo poo" describes like 99% of the techniques in dragonball

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah but Masenko is like, the most generic named attack.

Even TOEI misnamed it the Kamehameha in the anime once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Burkion posted:

To be fair

I'm not even sure what the point of it was. Gohan should have learned Hellzone Grenade like his real dad

ftfy