Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Burkion posted:

Yeah but Masenko is like, the most generic named attack.

Even TOEI misnamed it the Kamehameha in the anime once.

That's not saying a whole lot either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

I don't even remember Gohan using it other than like, once, on Namek.

he uses it against nappa doesn't he

it's the only named attack he had until the kamehameha I think

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't understand the difference between the Kamehameha and all the other beam attacks like Masenko, Final Flash, etc. Like, yes, there are different hand motions, but what are they actually doing that makes it X and not Y for all practical purposes?

I headcanon that Vegeta is mixing some kind of positive and negative energy for the Final Flash, but the rest I'm stumped on.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blue Star posted:

Cell is bad but no worse than Zamasu. :)

Anyway, Broly is bad and so are all of the movies. DBGT is bad. DB Super is...not great. Original DB and first half of DBZ are great. :)

This is just sad now

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TenCentFang posted:

I don't understand the difference between the Kamehameha and all the other beam attacks like Masenko, Final Flash, etc. Like, yes, there are different hand motions, but what are they actually doing that makes it X and not Y for all practical purposes?

I'll break it down for you:

kamehameha: blue
final flash: purple
masenko: yellow (I think, I barely remember that move at this point)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Plus the hand motions being different is a pretty big deal for a fighting manga that likes to pretend it has some basis in martial arts.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'll break it down for you:

kamehameha: blue
final flash: purple
masenko: yellow (I think, I barely remember that move at this point)

Galick Gun is purple, Final Flash is golden.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TenCentFang posted:

I headcanon that Vegeta is mixing some kind of positive and negative energy for the Final Flash, but the rest I'm stumped on.

the amount of power amplified or some poo poo

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TenCentFang posted:

I think the fancy names reflect that it's some kind of disciplined technique or method, since it's strongly suggested that you can just spit or throw ki if you're strong enough. The Kamehameha seems to be state of the art in terms of this, perhaps because Master Roshi worked so hard on it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Let's all remember that Goten has the kamekameha

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQKjNSK1eRE new DBFZ story teaser

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nessus posted:

I think the fancy names reflect that it's some kind of disciplined technique or method, since it's strongly suggested that you can just spit or throw ki if you're strong enough. The Kamehameha seems to be state of the art in terms of this, perhaps because Master Roshi worked so hard on it.

The kamehameha is a weak, safe dodonpa.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

I like how everyone is beat up and Buu is just sleeping

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
WE all know Buu can't be beat. He just gets bored and falls asleep.

For two months.

No I"m not still bitter. Shut up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am more surprised the Dondonpa does not get used more. Roshi straight up said it was better then the Kamehameha.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tien's the only one that knows how to use it and, well...

maybe if tien had fought anyone that wasn't like x20 stronger than himself after winning the second world martial arts tournament, he'd have had a reason to use it before toriyama forgot it existed

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure it was better at killing people than the Kamehameha, not that it was a better move in general

Though maybe it was I don't remember

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Burkion posted:

I'm pretty sure it was better at killing people than the Kamehameha, not that it was a better move in general

Though maybe it was I don't remember

it burned people and didn't require charging while being of similar strength..

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Trailer shows all z warriors except Roshi amd Yajirobe defeated so spoilers for 2/3rd of the final story team.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

TenCentFang posted:

its how they collect and circulate the ki thats flowing in their bodies. but who cares

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TenCentFang posted:

The Kamehameha and Galick Gun are exactly the same beyond how they look, Vegeta is surprised when Goku uses the Kamehameha against him because he has a move that's identical to his own. Xenoverse also has Vegeta point out how they're basically the same move, although he follows it by saying that the Galick Gun is obviously better because it's used by him, the prince of all Saiyans and not that dumb Kakarot.

The Final Flash, at least when used by Vegeta, differs by charging a ridiculous amount of Ki into one shot. Otherwise it's just another beam move, and with Trunks it seems to be weaker than his Galick Gun because consistency is hard.

I have no idea what's the difference with other beam moves and I don't think it particularly matters either.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
From the Funny Pictures thread:

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

This is just sad now

Friend CharlestheHammer, why are you so hostile? Surely you can agree with at least some of my post? broly IS a bad character. DBGT IS bad. These are undeniable, irregardless of what you think of the rest of my post.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Blue Star posted:

Friend CharlestheHammer, why are you so hostile? Surely you can agree with at least some of my post? broly IS a bad character. DBGT IS bad. These are undeniable, irregardless of what you think of the rest of my post.

Wasn't there someone in this thread arguing GT was better than Super?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
DB super makes sense because all those characters that you know and love went through a LOTTTT of poo poo, so it's okay if they make some of it comical.

Yes, the dragon can grant wishes, but there are loving gods now, and they are on such a high level from anything you saw in Z.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Kild posted:

Wasn't there someone in this thread arguing GT was better than Super?

You could argue the animation at some points were better but thats about it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Blaze Dragon posted:

The Kamehameha and Galick Gun are exactly the same beyond how they look, Vegeta is surprised when Goku uses the Kamehameha against him because he has a move that's identical to his own. Xenoverse also has Vegeta point out how they're basically the same move, although he follows it by saying that the Galick Gun is obviously better because it's used by him, the prince of all Saiyans and not that dumb Kakarot.

The Final Flash, at least when used by Vegeta, differs by charging a ridiculous amount of Ki into one shot. Otherwise it's just another beam move, and with Trunks it seems to be weaker than his Galick Gun because consistency is hard.

I have no idea what's the difference with other beam moves and I don't think it particularly matters either.

Pretty much yea. Kamehameha/Galick Gun are pretty explicitly said to be near mythical abilities that only the elite of the elite are able to even use without dying let alone throw around in fights. They're basically the exact same thing, if you wanna get super turbo nerd you could assume since ki seems to be a universal energy it's just different cultural names for the same concept of 'you take all you can into you, get it super charged with all your energy, someone gets hosed up when that poo poo hits them'. I think in the Saiyan saga Vegeta made some reference about his Galick Gun being able to wipe out cities or something but that was probably just Vegeta being Vegeta considering we've never actually seen it.

Beyond that you have either 'big gently caress off climax move' stuff like Final Flash where all the energy the fighter has is being dumped into one big finishing move or just 'normal' beams, it's probably just a matter of how much magic juice they're willing to dump into it.

Of course the real answer is 'those are main character attacks, special beam cannon and poo poo are b-team attacks'.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

dr.acula posted:

You could argue the animation at some points were better but thats about it

not even that really now that we've had stuff like Freeza's "warm up"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you could certainly argue that. "at some points" is the key part there, and the early super arcs were a travesty so far as the animation went

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Did Vegeta ever use the Galick Gun after that beam fight with Goku, all the way up until they brought it back against Beerus (where he didn't even say the name)? It's funny that Vegeta only ever seemed to use his named attacks a single time before ditching them for generic ki blasts.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Manatee Cannon posted:

you could certainly argue that. "at some points" is the key part there, and the early super arcs were a travesty so far as the animation went

yea but you could also argue we're so far from those rough arcs it's kinda a moot comparison. We haven't had anything near the ugly beerus/goku intro in ages.

Momomo posted:

Did Vegeta ever use the Galick Gun after that beam fight with Goku, all the way up until they brought it back against Beerus (where he didn't even say the name)? It's funny that Vegeta only ever seemed to use his named attacks a single time before ditching them for generic ki blasts.

I've always liked the idea that when he finds his attacks get outdone by Goku he instantly abandons them out of anger.

"Haha now you'll face my ultimate move, one I've honed over years of prac-did that rear end in a top hat just use a spirit bomb? Ok fine gently caress this gently caress him gently caress everyone back to normal shots until I can top that"

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's probably complete bullshit from some game or something but I vaguely remember the Masenko being described as a point-blank explosion-type move that loses more power over longer distances compared to the Kamehameha or whatever.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's probably complete bullshit from some game or something but I vaguely remember the Masenko being described as a point-blank explosion-type move that loses more power over longer distances compared to the Kamehameha or whatever.

yeah xenoverse makes up a ton of properties for moves to differentiate them

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Ki attacks are like guns, they all have different properties but in the end they just shoot bullets.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TheHan posted:

Ki attacks are like guns, they all have different properties but in the end they just shoot bullets.
The Something Awful Forums > The Gravity Chamber > Ki Blast MEGATHREAD: *shoots mouthbullet at u*

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kashuno posted:

I like how everyone is beat up and Buu is just sleeping

loving again!? Someone get this guy some coffee!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the manga's reveal that the other gods of destruction hate Beerus because he hosed up Zeno's Universal Hide And Seek tournament by sleeping through his turn to hide is THE BEST

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Blockhouse posted:

the manga's reveal that the other gods of destruction hate Beerus because he hosed up Zeno's Universal Hide And Seek tournament by sleeping through his turn to hide is THE BEST

The manga has some amazing jokes to it that I wish leaked into both versions.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

sexpig by night posted:

Pretty much yea. Kamehameha/Galick Gun are pretty explicitly said to be near mythical abilities that only the elite of the elite are able to even use without dying let alone throw around in fights.

Most of the cast learned the kamehameha just by seeing someone use it once. This includes Yamcha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I always thought of the final flash as being like spraying someone with a really high pressure hose