Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

the first evidence of it comes from 1852.

:wrong:

We have reference to it from 1757.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Platystemon posted:

tl;dr: OP documents their house. No good deed (pun acknowledged) goes unpunished and now OP has to defend themselves from a bogus lawsuit in small claims court.

I need to remember to post the stuff I got from the previous owner of my house. He was an engineer who did all sorts of DIY stuff, including security system. He left detailed instructions and blueprints for everything he did. He also had 40 years worth of instruction manuals and receipts for every appliance in the house.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I know I'm going to have to sell this house eventually so I'm deliberately building the home automation in layers where the bottom layer is regular old switches and the top layer is my custom code, so if a new owner doesn't want to deal they can just reset back to normie house.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is "home automation" popular outside of wealthy tech-sector folk?

Every person I've ever know that got into it got into it because they had way too much free time and money and were lonely tech folks without much in the way of hobbies. Much like an old wealthy baby boomer might work on a hot rod or get into wood working, they get into "home automation" where they'll brag about how they spend $5000 and over 100 hours installing and debugging it all, but they totally made it so they can adjust the RGB of their wifi lights from their phone now along with a little map of their house showing the current brightness and rgb value in each room. They can also, sometimes, if it's set up right the night before and nothing has gone wrong, set up a kettle to boil water for them in the morning.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Motion sensor switches are way loving cheaper, easier to install, and do 80% of what the gently caress most people want.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I guess it depends on the scope but at least thermostats and cameras are very popular. I've got a few lights automated, and a few routines for those for different needs. It was the only way to dim a light on a 3 way switch too. Also nice to know I'll get an alert if the smoke alarm goes off during the day.

Edit: the only place I want a motion sensor is a closet or utility room.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 21, 2017

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Also nice to know I'll get an alert if the smoke alarm goes off during the day.

Now see, the actual useful way for this to happen is a central station alarm system - like what's been available for decades - which goes to someone who can call the appropriate local response before calling you, who is not home and can't do anything about it. This is such a well recognized benefit that you get a discount on your property insurance.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Baronjutter posted:

Every person I've ever know that got into it got into it because they had way too much free time and money and were lonely tech folks without much in the way of hobbies. Much like an old wealthy baby boomer might work on a hot rod or get into wood working, they get into "home automation" where they'll brag about how they spend $5000 and over 100 hours installing and debugging it all, but they totally made it so they can adjust the RGB of their wifi lights from their phone now along with a little map of their house showing the current brightness and rgb value in each room. They can also, sometimes, if it's set up right the night before and nothing has gone wrong, set up a kettle to boil water for them in the morning.

All I know is I want a Farnhan

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

StormDrain posted:

I guess it depends on the scope but at least thermostats and cameras are very popular. I've got a few lights automated, and a few routines for those for different needs. It was the only way to dim a light on a 3 way switch too. Also nice to know I'll get an alert if the smoke alarm goes off during the day.

Edit: the only place I want a motion sensor is a closet or utility room.

You can set them to be manual on, and with long time outs, but it keeps the lights from being left on, and with the dimmer in my living and bedroom, it slowly lights up when activated and dims down when going down; feels really luxe and homey.

The Lutron auto switches are nice for a fraction of a while poo poo load of botnet bulbs.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Baronjutter posted:

I work at a Home Depot in a city that's very much not a tech industry hotbed, and while we have all of the big displays for home automation gear, the products almost all just sit there untouched and unloved. Every once in a while, someone will buy one of those boxed IP Camera systems or an Echo Dot, but that's it. I don't remember anyone ever buying a smart thermostat or any of the smart lighting stuff.

Smart appliances are the same way, we have all of the displays for Samsung smart refrigerators, Samsung smart washers and dryers, Samsung smart microwaves, and (surprisingly not-Samsung) smart water heaters. No one ever buys them, because they cost twice as much as otherwise-equivalent GE, Amana, or Maytag, and Samsung doesn't exactly have the best reputation when it comes to heavy appliances. I was actually curious, so I asked the people in that department if anyone bought that stuff, and they remembered selling one smart fridge ever.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'd buy a wifi thermostat if my apartment actually used one rather than having a gigantic PTAC in the living room that I'm not sure I could even hook one to if I wanted.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I work at a Home Depot in a city that's very much not a tech industry hotbed, and while we have all of the big displays for home automation gear, the products almost all just sit there untouched and unloved. Every once in a while, someone will buy one of those boxed IP Camera systems or an Echo Dot, but that's it. I don't remember anyone ever buying a smart thermostat or any of the smart lighting stuff.

Smart appliances are the same way, we have all of the displays for Samsung smart refrigerators, Samsung smart washers and dryers, Samsung smart microwaves, and (surprisingly not-Samsung) smart water heaters. No one ever buys them, because they cost twice as much as otherwise-equivalent GE, Amana, or Maytag, and Samsung doesn't exactly have the best reputation when it comes to heavy appliances. I was actually curious, so I asked the people in that department if anyone bought that stuff, and they remembered selling one smart fridge ever.

This actually makes me happy because I have a nearly irrational hatred towards "home automation" and "internet of things" at least in its current state. It seems 90% showing off how techy and advanced you are, 10% anything that makes your life easier. In fact it seems to make things much worse as the guys who I know who are into it are constantly constantly struggling to get things to work right. poo poo like "I wanted to use my kettle today but I had to spend 3 hours getting it hooked up to my home wifi" or "The AC was blasting all night because a sensor wasn't working right but boy oh boy when I get this working right one day and I can turn on my AC an hour before I come home from work it will be totally worth it"

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I have a Nest thermostat, but that's because the local power company is basically giving them away for free*.

*They gently caress with your temps in the summer to ease the grid demand, but you can just change it back

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Baronjutter posted:

This actually makes me happy because I have a nearly irrational hatred towards "home automation" and "internet of things" at least in its current state. It seems 90% showing off how techy and advanced you are, 10% anything that makes your life easier. In fact it seems to make things much worse as the guys who I know who are into it are constantly constantly struggling to get things to work right. poo poo like "I wanted to use my kettle today but I had to spend 3 hours getting it hooked up to my home wifi" or "The AC was blasting all night because a sensor wasn't working right but boy oh boy when I get this working right one day and I can turn on my AC an hour before I come home from work it will be totally worth it"

Yeah, being an early adopter is not a thing I want to experience either. Reminds me of those old intercom systems you used to see in nice houses, but nobody ever used after they lived there for a week.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Baronjutter posted:

There is definitely a barrier to entry. Being intelligent enough to understand what you are trying to do is key. Baby steps is how to start. May I recommend: Your first home automation project

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've yet to see a home automation thing that was substantially better than just using a timer, maybe with different times for different days of the week (like your average 7-day thermostat).

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've yet to see a home automation thing that was substantially better than just using a timer, maybe with different times for different days of the week (like your average 7-day thermostat).

Personally I don't understand the point of a smart water heater at all. It lets you set the temperature from your phone, which is something most people do once in the life of their water heater?

I'm also studying for some Cisco certs (don't want to be at Home Depot forever), and I wonder how much of this stuff is bankrolled by them. They certainly seem dedicated to this "200 smart devices in every home by 2030" thing!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

My dad got a leak sensor to go in the water heater room and the smoke alarms send SMS alerts if they go off. I think maybe the garage door can tell you if its open too. That all seems like a reasonable use of technology to me, but if I had Unlimited Money I'd probably trick out every light fixture in my house so I can just hit the rave button whenever I want.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Like a lot of pointless tech things, the purpose is to make the owner feel smart and on the cutting edge, not to be practical for anything.

The stuff that actually is practical is a lot less flashy and generally not over-complicated, so it's hard to brag about using it.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Personally I don't understand the point of a smart water heater at all. It lets you set the temperature from your phone, which is something most people do once in the life of their water heater?

I wouldn't mind being able to lower it during low/no demand periods (i.e. nighttime or when I'm out of town), but I think a lot of that could be solved by a tankless or hybrid unit.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

... (don't want to be at Home Depot forever)...

I worked at HD for 1 month and 1 day and I hated every single shift. Working at loving Radio Shack was better (though, thankfully, I've left retail behind now).

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Chard posted:

My dad got a leak sensor to go in the water heater room and the smoke alarms send SMS alerts if they go off. I think maybe the garage door can tell you if its open too. That all seems like a reasonable use of technology to me, but if I had Unlimited Money I'd probably trick out every light fixture in my house so I can just hit the rave button whenever I want.

This is about the only level of home automation I'd be interested in. Get a nice electronic valve on the main water line and sensors that can slam that fucker shut in case of leak, but I'd plum it in with a manual bypass so as to not have to deal with it when it randomly decided I shouldn't have water.

The problem for me is that my baseline assumption is that these things are 100% insecure on the IT side. And while I'm the nerdiest of the children and therefore family IT support, I'm also drunk enough that I can't be arsed to learn how to get these fairly safely setup, so I just won't bother with them at all.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

I was impressed by the lawn sprinkler controller that changes the delivery based on the days precipitation.

And I never did buy a thermostat since I have my programmable just where I like it, plus I only get the option of heat or off. No A/C here.

The other thing, the nice Lutron dimmers are like $25, the automated ones are $40. It's an expense but its kind of an affordable luxury.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I basically just have a cheaper electronic doorbell with a camera, a Logitech harmony hub, a single smart switch for living room lights, a wireless Honeywell thermostat, and a google home. I would really like some switches for my outside lights I can sync with sunset, but I'm not rushing out to get it just yet.
I enjoy it all for the convenience. Get back to me when they come up with home automated grass cutter.

poodonkey
Dec 31, 2013
Full home automation is definitely a very niche thing. Working at Lowes in a town with alot of old farts, we sell a huge amount of remote access door locks. It's the grown kids, acting as caregivers that spring for them. I guess it's much easier to unlock grandma's door with your phone than it is to go across town to do it.

The whole "you need a 150$ hub and this starter kit before you can do anything cool" is really off putting.

We do sell a poo poo load of the base model key code door locks, probably for the same reasons.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Ya, I posted this guy. We used him and he did a great job, left us with at 25 page binder of notes and suggestions just like the demo one on the website. I will warn again that you should keep him away from your realtor if you have a good relationship with them. He doesn't like them and they will think he's very scary.

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 22, 2017

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Dillbag posted:

Ya, I posted this guy. We used him and he did a great job, left us with at 25 page binder of notes and suggestions just like the demo one on the website. I will warn again that you should keep him away from your realtor if you have a good relationship with them. He doesn't like them and they will think he's very scary.

Realtors could use a good scare. Worthless bastards, every last one of them.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Raised by Hamsters posted:

The problem for me is that my baseline assumption is that these things are 100% insecure on the IT side. And while I'm the nerdiest of the children and therefore family IT support, I'm also drunk enough that I can't be arsed to learn how to get these fairly safely setup, so I just won't bother with them at all.

I work in infosec. Like half of iot devices are moonlighting as part of a botnet. It's sort of a growing problem right now.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I can't think of a single thing that needs to be automated in my house other than a few lights turning on when I enter the room and that is fixed with a simple sensor.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

pr0zac posted:

I work in infosec. Like half of iot devices are moonlighting as part of a botnet. It's sort of a growing problem right now.

But is my Nest safe I love my Nest please

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Chard posted:

but if I had Unlimited Money I'd probably trick out every light fixture in my house so I can just hit the rave button whenever I want.

The Emergency Party Button

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

poodonkey posted:

Full home automation is definitely a very niche thing. Working at Lowes in a town with alot of old farts, we sell a huge amount of remote access door locks. It's the grown kids, acting as caregivers that spring for them. I guess it's much easier to unlock grandma's door with your phone than it is to go across town to do it.

Lowe's. :argh: But in all seriousness, now that you mention it, we do move quite a few of those at Home Depot too. We sell tons of the locks that have both a keypad and a traditional keyhole, but I assume those are mostly going to landlords. Oddly enough, we also carry a full line of home networking gear at my store, which no one ever buys; it makes the whole home automation stuff look like a hot lineup. It's actually decent quality (mostly TP-Link) hardware, and they even have $300 top of the line routers and mesh networking stuff in stock, but who on Earth is going to think of Home Depot when they need a new modem or wireless router?

FWIW from above, I actually don't mind my job, but I think my store is more easy-going than most. This is probably because, not long before I started, a recently-fired employee came back, shot at some of the department heads, then barricaded himself in an office before the police came and shot him dead. I'm stationed in the outdoor department though, so I don't have to deal with too many contractors or store metrics, just a shockingly large number of 80+ people who need 30 bags of mulch loaded into their Ford Explorer. God knows how they unload the stuff.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 22, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pr0zac posted:

Yeah what's that quote? "The 'S' in IoT stands for 'Security'"

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I have a $10 Bluetooth LED bulb that also has a timer in it. Turns on/off 20 min before I get up/after I leave for work, and comes on 20 min before I get home from work, and stays on till bedtime. Needs are suited.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Rolls out of bed, uses pinky finger to flick light switch on wall.

"Ugh, there has to be a better way!"

poodonkey
Dec 31, 2013
"Contractors" are a perennial pain in my rear end.

Actual, legit contractors mostly have their poo poo together and don't bother me much. It's the skin flint one guy and a truck operations that are shady as hell.

One guy jams empty concrete bags full of dirt and returns them. Another takes plywood scraps and returns them in roofing shingle bundles. Lowes will take drat near anything back in the name of "service".

But you gotta figure if this guy is scamming lowes for a 3.50$ bag of concrete, what the hell is he doing to the poor sucker that hired him?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Indolent Bastard posted:

excuse me Contessa "oval office Mafia" Stuto (@estaterealness) is awesome.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSHo7VWBlIH/

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Indolent Bastard posted:

Does anyone have a good experience with a realtor? I loved mine. She had a thorough knowledge of flipper dickery, and caught stuff I'd have never seen when we were looking.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

there wolf posted:

Does anyone have a good experience with a realtor? I loved mine. She had a thorough knowledge of flipper dickery, and caught stuff I'd have never seen when we were looking.

A realtor/flipper bought the house next door to mine. I've already had to dissuade a handful of potential buyers because the termite-infested garage is ready to fall down. I'm not joking. This thing is beyond crooked. Instead of fixing it, he put a new roof and coat of paint on it, except for the side of the garage facing me because the illegals he hired ran out of paint.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 22, 2017

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.
I'd like to think there's some good reason for this beyond "we didn't measure", but I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Youth Decay posted:

excuse me Contessa "oval office Mafia" Stuto (@estaterealness) is awesome.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSHo7VWBlIH/

Thank you for this gift.