Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

The tournament itself is already filled with false tension though because it keeps trying to act like U7 is under fire but then there's scenes where Goku literally walks through an opponent's techniques because he's just that much more powerful then them.

Even 'seeing the characters interact' isn't really accurate; they only interact with one person, Goku, and only in the sense of 'I'm gonna beat you up.' and Goku going "ahaha this is gonna be fun." and then Goku beats them up. Sometimes with assists from other people.

This is more of a problem with how Dragon Ball has been written since Namek and one I really don't wanna get into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Come on, the only really "interesting" they can do if have Goku be eliminated next or after. But that ain't happening ever

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry guys for ruining this thread for around 5 pages.

gently caress you Blue Star for being a goalpost shifting rear end in a top hat and gently caress you sassassin for being a pretentious snob.

You are right that classing stuff as high art and low art is dumb though. But you are wrong about Dragon ball as art.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
We should probably be talking about the provisional titles for episodes 111-113. :fap:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Webbeh posted:

We should probably be talking about the provisional titles for episodes 111-113. :fap:

idk if it's spoiler but

Looks like Goku/Jiren doesn't end with Goku just beating him down. I wonder if Goku gets knocked?? No idea on 112, maybe he limit breaks and finishes what Hit and Goku started. Ep 113 is going to be Kale focused

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Mordaedil posted:

I'm sorry guys for ruining this thread for around 5 pages.

gently caress you Blue Star for being a goalpost shifting rear end in a top hat and gently caress you sassassin for being a pretentious snob.

You are right that classing stuff as high art and low art is dumb though. But you are wrong about Dragon ball as art.

Dude, please chill out. Or I'm sending you korins tower to sweep the whole place.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Dude, please chill out. Or I'm sending you korins tower to sweep the whole place.

your sig is getting scary

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Kashuno posted:

your sig is getting scary

:smugdon:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also I know we have been talking about how hosed up this tournament is and Goku in general not really caring but like, even looking back on it now it's pretty hosed up that Goku hired Hit to kill him and basically got 'killed' in front of his kids for fun.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, the literal entire point of DBZ is that no Goku doesn't act like a Saiyan beyond loving to fight, and the only way Vegeta could grow as a character was to let Earth and his not very Saiyan Saiyan frienemy rub off on him. Like, no, I don't think a 'proper' Saiyan takes their kid to an amusement park and tries his hardest to NOT go to a fighting tournament because his wife's about to pop a kid.

I don't know about Goku, obviously the original pitch was that falling on his head killed off the evil saiyan part of his brain to make him a kind, loving boy (with monkey fight powers), but over time (and in comparison with Vegeta especially) this interpretation fits less and less.

Vegeta is an unforgivable monster but shows more "humanity" (empathy, compassion, self-awareness) than Goku, who backs up his pure love of fighting with bullying and selfishness and neglectful parenting (all in a sweet hundred year old lady's voice).

If you look at Saiyans over the whole run of the shows (not just how they're introduced) it's clear that most of their reputation was down to nurture not nature. Frieza's enslavement of their race, and the pervading myth of a Legendary Super Saiyan (indirectly also Frieza's fault), forged a culture of brutality and bloodshed. The U6 saiyans - who lack both those things - are entirely different in nature. Even Vegeta adapts to Earth's ways, and his earliest actions horrified even his Saiyan comrades (who he then murdered). It's not Goku who changes him, but the love of a wife and family (which Goku explicitly doesn't understand or really feel).

If anything Goku is the most Saiyan Saiyan, loving to fight above all else (the lives of his friends, family and universe). He's forgotten Grandpa Gohan's teachings, probably as a result of the brain injury. The only moral conclusion to this story is that he should kill the gods, and then himself.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Please don't tell goku to kill himself. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Goku isn't going to get eliminated

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Grandpa Gohan didnt even teach Goku how to recognize women without groping them first

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Idk if that's true. Goku definitely is willing to show compassion, love, and empathy. Goku really loves to fight, but he does not like people he cares about to get hurt as a result of it. He may not care about opponents, and the ToP makes it really awkward for him, but when push comes to shove he cares a lot about the people close to him. We see it in super multiple times, it's just that in most cases cases Goku ends up dealing with it with more violence (a Saiyan trait) and is really just dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFqvHRuuEng - Frieza destroys Earth, Goku accepts fault and kills Frieza. (sidenote, English Whis and Beerus sound weird as hell)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMWPCqIci8o - Goku finds out Black killed his family
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K5JK7nEKgs - Goku & Roshi

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I think Goku has CTE

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It's just so inconsistent. Like the Roshi example is super weird because he tries his hardest to revive him, but 5 minutes later when Frost is torturing the poo poo out of him Goku decides fighting Lady Buu is more important

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Chill it is.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CharlestonJew posted:

It's just so inconsistent. Like the Roshi example is super weird because he tries his hardest to revive him, but 5 minutes later when Frost is torturing the poo poo out of him Goku decides fighting Lady Buu is more important

Yeah, it's a character trait the writing only highlights when it feels like it. Between that and making him even stupider for no apparent reason Goku's probably the actual worst written character in Super.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

Goku's probably the actual worst written character in Super.

This is definitely true. I'm trying to think of a character who has had less development in Super. Maybe 18?

e; nvm it's Goten

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TenCentFang posted:

I'm thinking Freeza will get erased one way or another by the end of all this.

Vegeta is totally going to kill him to erase him from existence.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

CharlestonJew posted:

I read as effectively: "See? He's fine now. So NOW will you fight?"
"...Fine"

Because when she first shows up, he throws her aside initially. It's only after Roshi's eliminated that he actually stops to fight.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kashuno posted:

This is definitely true. I'm trying to think of a character who has had less development in Super. Maybe 18?

e; nvm it's Goten

Goten had the scene where he has to teach his dad how to buy a gift. He's a good kid.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Chieves posted:

I think Goku has CTE

It was really Goku that killed Odin Llyod.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Honestly after the ToP the old guard needs to all retire and let the new kids on the block take over. Dende quits running the earth to become a fighter, and the new squad of Trunks, Goten, Pan, Bulla, Marron, Dende, and Uub become the new focus. They'd probably get along better with Zeno anyway.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

sassassin posted:

Goten had the scene where he has to teach his dad how to buy a gift. He's a good kid.

Goten being just like goku but not an idiot is the best possible idea because it means Goten could very likely become the strongest most pure hearted being in universe 7 but also not an idiot.

Edit- dende will never come down off that tower.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kashuno posted:

Honestly after the ToP the old guard needs to all retire and let the new kids on the block take over. Dende quits running the earth to become a fighter, and the new squad of Trunks, Goten, Pan, Bulla, Marron, Dende, and Uub become the new focus. They'd probably get along better with Zeno anyway.

This should have been the Buu Saga.

Or GT.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dragon Ball: The Next generation.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

reignofevil posted:

Goten being just like goku but not an idiot is the best possible idea because it means Goten could very likely become the strongest most pure hearted being in universe 7 but also not an idiot.

Edit- dende will never come down off that tower.

If you think Goten will ever do anything without kid Trunks

I'm so sorry

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Buu saga actually concluded in a very satisfying way for me which was a strange situation because I very distinctly remember watching it from day to day and wondering how they were possibly gonna make something more intimidating than Cell was and then that shifted into how they could possibly defeat something that turned you into candy and couldn't be harmed (and so on) but by requiring both the (totally illegitimate) faith of the earth, which wrapped up the Hercule almost saves the earth with bath time and game boy subplot nicely and by requiring Vegeta to experience genuine character development( because unlike goku he could actually be for-real gone if kid buu doublekilled him) they even had buufight buufor a while it was a perfect pro wrestling face turn.

I was really sure even as a little babby that I couldn't possibly see the pink gum man go down without there being a gigantic asspull but they used a move they hadn't tried with a bunch of excuses for it being way more effective and at the end both Hercule and Vegeta were completed characters (lol super I know). Goku didn't actually do much but I made my peace with that while he was still doing pushups on the road to namek.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm glad Goten doesn't get to do anything, he's lame

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Goten is destined to do things, Goku is the most marketable icon of Dragon ball and now that the "wish him to be younger" well is poisoned the hungry businessmen in charge are gonna bust out the "Goten series" emergency valve three months after they pull the "Vegeta and Goku's final battle" lever.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I want to see a Cabba vs Frieza fight.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Burkion posted:

If you think Goten will ever do anything without kid Trunks

I'm so sorry

Fusion was a horrifying mistake.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

reignofevil posted:

Goten is destined to do things, Goku is the most marketable icon of Dragon ball and now that the "wish him to be younger" well is poisoned the hungry businessmen in charge are gonna bust out the "Goten series" emergency valve three months after they pull the "Vegeta and Goku's final battle" lever.

Vegeta is old news. Goku has moved on.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Realtalk: have audiences moved on? Goku will mysteriously invent a reason to go punch Vegeta if audiences demand it and somehow I suspect they do.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
He's a narrative dead end. There's nothing left to do with him. Choosing to stay home with his pregnant wife instead of training was the capstone on his arc.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Audiences are moving on from Goku.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Can Goku go die again so that he can just train in the afterlife some more and let everyone else have fun.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

sassassin posted:

He's a narrative dead end. There's nothing left to do with him. Choosing to stay home with his pregnant wife instead of training was the capstone on his arc.

When the tournament is over I fully see him taking a mentorship role with the U6 Saiyans. Just a bunch of Super Saiyans training at Capsule Corp while proud Daddy Vegeta does his thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kashuno posted:

Audiences are moving on from Goku.

It's probably overdramatic, but Goku was my number one undisputed childhood hero and Super making me like him so much less has been legitimately depressing.