Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Groetgaffel posted:

I'd love to see BL snatch up a few of the authors of the new Star Wars canon. Claudia Grey is really good, Timothy Zhan is in a league of his own, and since I just finished Phasma, Delilah Dawson seems like she would get the grimdark vibe of 40k pretty well.

I mean, it won't ever happen, but it's nice to dream.

Hahaha. 40k written by women. Yeah, right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Hahaha. 40k written by women. Yeah, right.

Nik Vincent, Dan Abnett's wife, has written at least four 40K stories. Sarah Cawkwell has a handful of novels and a bunch of shorts.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Is sandy Mitchell a boy or a girl

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Waroduce posted:

It's a dude's pen name

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Groetgaffel posted:

I'd love to see BL snatch up a few of the authors of the new Star Wars canon. Claudia Grey is really good, Timothy Zhan is in a league of his own, and since I just finished Phasma, Delilah Dawson seems like she would get the grimdark vibe of 40k pretty well.

I mean, it won't ever happen, but it's nice to dream.

Claudia Grey doing high born hive houses political back stabbing or an inquisition novel would own bones.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Chiwie posted:

Claudia Grey doing high born hive houses political back stabbing or an inquisition novel would own bones.

I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Star wars books sell better though, I imagine?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Syncopated posted:

Star wars books sell better though, I imagine?

Even now? I know the pre-Disney sale they were farting out 3-4 books a year from a stable of a few rotating authors who were completely loving terrible, including two authors who kept retconning each others' previous novels in what was a slapfight playing out in published book form but since it kept building on the continuity people kept buying them. Now that Disney wiped all that "canon" I can't imagine the books sales are the same as they were.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Don't know of sales, but the new canon books are of a higher and more uniform quality, to me at least.
None of them contradict each other, and there's a bunch of cross-book references and callbacks, even between authors. It seems the lucasarts story group is making a real effort to keep things coherent.

I've read most of the new books, and I don't think there's any duds, nothing like your Nemesis or Battle for the Abyss.
And the new canon Thrawn book is straight up excellent.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Groetgaffel posted:

Don't know of sales, but the new canon books are of a higher and more uniform quality, to me at least.
None of them contradict each other, and there's a bunch of cross-book references and callbacks, even between authors. It seems the lucasarts story group is making a real effort to keep things coherent.

I've read most of the new books, and I don't think there's any duds, nothing like your Nemesis or Battle for the Abyss.
And the new canon Thrawn book is straight up excellent.
Heir to the Jedi is pointless and bad. It just introduces a girlfriend for Luke who is blatantly dead by the end of it because it's prior to Empire.

James Luceno is the ADB of the new Star Wars EU.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Heir to the Jedi is pointless and bad. It just introduces a girlfriend for Luke who is blatantly dead by the end of it because it's prior to Empire.

James Luceno is the ADB of the new Star Wars EU.
Oh yeah, I had totally forgotten about that one, hah.
So I guess one dud then, still not too bad.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Need to know who the other primarch was that Horus killed with tne Talon. Abaddon referrenced it twice between Talon of Horus and Black Legion. It was probably the 2nd or 11th.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Need to know who the other primarch was that Horus killed with tne Talon. Abaddon referrenced it twice between Talon of Horus and Black Legion. It was probably the 2nd or 11th.

It was Fabulous Bill's Horus clone.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
That was just a clone. It shouldnt count.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Uncle w Benefits posted:

That was just a clone. It shouldnt count.

If you read it they all thought it was Horus like for realsy like they knew it was a clone but it was perfect

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Groetgaffel posted:

It was Fabulous Bill's Horus clone.

That bugs me. The clone body being the same I get, as that's how cloning works in Sci-fi, The personality and charisma doesn't work, along with that weird pheromone/aura primarchs have over their gene-seed descendants.
In a lot of the background covering the battle between Emps and Horus, the final blow was a straight up "gently caress you, gently caress your gods, I'm burning your soul to dust so you can't be resurrected". When you compare that with a bunch of the stuff that comes up about the nature of the primarchs, that should make his super-double-mega-dead.

What I'm saying is that I wanted a Sloth-horus I guess.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Immanentized posted:

In a lot of the background covering the battle between Emps and Horus, the final blow was a straight up "gently caress you, gently caress your gods, I'm burning your soul to dust so you can't be resurrected". When you compare that with a bunch of the stuff that comes up about the nature of the primarchs, that should make his super-double-mega-dead.

I'm pretty sure that is yet another case of unreliable narration to make things seem more badass.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Waroduce posted:

He's a bearded older gentleman. Met him once when the GW Store in Stockholm celebrated their anniversary a few years back. Got him to sign my copy of the first Dark Heresy novel.

Herkily Jerikily is the Wet Leopard growl of the new SWEU fiction is all I'm going to add to that discussion.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Re:Horus clone, the point it was trying to make is that whilst genetically identical, it was never going to be the same as he didn't have whatever the chaos gods gave the emperor in return in the big ol' bargain he made with them

The primarchs were always warp beings in a scaled up human shell

Just the shell isn't the same

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Skarsnik posted:

Re:Horus clone, the point it was trying to make is that whilst genetically identical, it was never going to be the same as he didn't have whatever the chaos gods gave the emperor in return in the big ol' bargain he made with them

Does the Emperor's bargain ever get fleshed out more? I've so far only seen it in First Heretic, and it's from probably the least reliable of sources.

It makes a lot of sense that they'd give him the tools to conquer the universe (and establish churches to Chaos gods) and then he'd gently caress them over by banning all church and deflating them.

E: Isn't Abaddon himself a Horus clone?

moths fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 22, 2017

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

moths posted:

Only in the sense that a lot of the SoH look an awful lot like him. Horus has very strong genes(eed)

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

moths posted:

Does the Emperor's bargain ever get fleshed out more? I've so far only seen it in First Heretic, and it's from probably the least reliable of sources.

It makes a lot of sense that they'd give him the tools to conquer the universe (and establish churches to Chaos gods) and then he'd gently caress them over by banning all church and deflating them.

Vengeful Spirit kind of elaborates on it, but nothing super detailed.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Aximand was said to be the biggest Horus Jr. of them all. He dead rear end looked exactly like Horus, just smaller. Legit the BJ Armstrong of the Mournival.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

They didn't call him Little Horus for nothing.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
True.

I guess he looks like a bald white guy? Because that's what Horus looked like :shrug: the Luna Wolves were the token white guy legion. You know this because they and their leader ruined everything , just like white people in real life :thumbsup:

e: this is an attempt at edgy 'humor,' not trying to be a politicking rear end in a top hat.

vvvvv Horus Aximand = Little Horus

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

No that was Horus Aximand.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
It was put out throughout Horus Rising and Galaxy In Flames that the Luna Wolves had a lot of astartes who took after Horus, some so much they earned a nickname 'little horus.' Chief among these was Horus 'Little Horus' Aximand. He was also on the shorter side for an astartes. Other Luna Wolves looked like Horus to a degree, but that was just a trait of the gene-seed, and not actual cloning of Horus.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
What about the stinger at the end of Black Legion with Abaddon in the not-bacta tank?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Immanentized posted:

What about the stinger at the end of Black Legion with Abaddon in the not-bacta tank?

Adding to the fun ambiguity.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Do they ever reveal what the hell happened to Horus Aximand?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Sephyr posted:

Was hoping this would come up in Talon of Horsus or Black Legion but him and his hosed up face are markedly absent.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Question: Is this the general 40k lore thread? I have absolutely no interest in playing the game, but I also don't really wanna read the books, just sorta follow casually with what's going on in the story.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pretty much yeah. Video games, codex, novels, it's all fair game in here as far as fluff goes.

As for what's been going on, the space goatse Eye of Terror has split the Imperium in half, Cadia fell, Gurlyman is back with an army of nu-marines, and it is officially M42 on some imperial calendars and still m41 on others.
Oh, and it turned out that Armageddon is actually Imperium colonized Ullanor, the closest thing the Orks ever had to a home world.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 23, 2017

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
U can come to the thread in byob and poo poo post or post skeleton pictures and occasionally bullshit about the lore

The rpg thread is a fun read even though I don't play but occasionally

Scrunt game what up

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Pretty much yeah. Video games, codex, novels, it's all fair game in here as far as fluff goes.

As for what's been going on, the space goatse Eye of Terror has split the Imperium in half, Cadia fell, Gurlyman is back with an army of nu-marines, and it is officially M42 on some imperial calendars and still m41 on others.
Oh, and it turned out that Armageddon is actually Imperium colonized Ullanor, the closest thing the Orks ever had to a home world.

Sweet, I knew all that already so I'm not behind on anything, except for the calendar inconsistency which is some loving hilarious having your cake and eating it too.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

TenCentFang posted:

Sweet, I knew all that already so I'm not behind on anything, except for the calendar inconsistency which is some loving hilarious having your cake and eating it too.

The calendar inconsistency is entirely justified though.
For as long as I've been into 40k, all dates have included an accuracy factor at the end because of warp fuckery. The further from terra, the lower the accuracy. And any smaller systems closer to an important planet like say Cadia would naturally try and match their time keeping rather than trying and failing to be consistent with terra.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Sephyr posted:

He died in the Nemesis novel, if I recall correctly.

Edit: Oh, just remembered he also appears in the Vengeful Spirit one, so he didn't die, only got his face blasted away.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 23, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Angry Lobster posted:

He died in the Nemesis novel, if I recall correctly.

Edit: Oh, just remembered he also appears in the Vengeful Spirit one, so he didn't die, only got his face blasted away.

Wait, does his face get rekt twice?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wait, what...?

Cool, I guess. But would the orcs want it now? Wasn't it literally planed flat and turned into a planet sized parade ground for a one off ceremony?

I just realised I that I actually asked the question "why would orcs want to fight?". Sigh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Dog_Meat posted:

Wait, what...?

Cool, I guess. But would the orcs want it now? Wasn't it literally planed flat and turned into a planet sized parade ground for a one off ceremony?

I just realised I that I actually asked the question "why would orcs want to fight?". Sigh...

Continent-sized, duh