Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

MaliciousOnion posted:

Meanwhile stuff like this will probably never see the light of day.

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That thing owns.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I got my oldest Lego Boost for his birthday. It's pretty cool poo poo.

He's only halfway through Vernie the Robot, but so far, he's having a blast and learning a lot.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Colonial Air Force posted:

He's only halfway through Vernie the Robot, but so far, he's having a blast and learning a lot.

How old is he?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

uXs posted:

How old is he?

He just turned 8.

A big part of why I got it for him, we were down in Boston at the Museum of Science, andthey had this high school robotics thing going on. They let him play with robots and program one with some cards with barcodes (similar to the Boost instruction set), and he loved it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
38. Lol!

I want to get my kid boost but I'm waiting to see a few things:

1) if this is a one-off or they expand on it.
2) if we ever get a speaker module because something about the sounds coming from the iPad just feels a little offensive to me.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'm hopefull they'll have expansions, but even with the few things you can build out of this box, I think it's worth it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
The Mecha House rocks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mecha house is the most lego thing to show up on ideas in a while, so of course it will never get made.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

So this thing just appeared in my Facebook feed. I thought Lego would be done with Batman now that they have a new movie about Ninjas out?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

mitochondritom posted:

So this thing just appeared in my Facebook feed. I thought Lego would be done with Batman now that they have a new movie about Ninjas out?

There's one last wave in the winter. This is the main set of that wave.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How many more loving Batman minifigs can they make. As in ACTUAL Batman. Like gently caress - you don't need to include him in every set.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

mitochondritom posted:

That's really cool, but I can't help but feel it's like a year late.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

The_Doctor posted:

That is cool. Just saw it's $270. Didn't realize it's so big. Holy cow.

Scipiotik fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 26, 2017

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

MaliciousOnion posted:

I don't get it.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

mitochondritom posted:

I like it when Lego releases a huge set that I am not interested in so I don't have to spend even more money! :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Pyroclastic posted:

Didn't even realize they had another batch up for review. My thoughts:
Gilmore Girls: A set from a show that's been off the air for literally a decade? It was popular, but it doesn't have much in the way of a cult or even popular following now, unlike 80s movies or Big Bang Theory. Not a chance.
Wonders of Peru: Way too big for its niche, it's like a City Skyline set that's enclosed in a big square box. It's like 7 tiny vignettes. No way.
Research Aircraft: It's so large and detailed, I don't see it happening without a substantial redesign. It's 5000 pieces!
I Am Your Father: This one should have been ineligible from the get-go, but I assume it started before they banned all existing licenses. Nope.
Saturn V scaled Space Shuttle: Unlikely; it's not too different in size from Shuttle Expedition/Adventure. Probably the best chance of this lot, but I don't think Lego's ready for another large Shuttle remake. And if they want to do other space vehicles scaled to the Saturn, they'll do it on their own, not use Ideas for it.
Saturn V Launch Tower: Literally requires another Ideas set to do anything with, has little to no display or play value on its own. The 'basic' model has nearly twice as many pieces as the Saturn itself, solidifying its place in the No category, though it could probably cut its piece count down by a quarter by slimming the base.

This is a really weak group, and I wish they could go back to older batches to look for something better. If they get the license, I'd guess they would go for the Gilmore Girls. If not, I'm guessing Space Shuttle or a simplified plane.

The first 2017 group looks a bit better, but nothing really jumps out at me. I'd probably guess that the quest builder has the best shot.

MaliciousOnion posted:

Thanks for pointing this out. I just supported it.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 26, 2017

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Vintersorg posted:

How many more loving Batman minifigs can they make. As in ACTUAL Batman. Like gently caress - you don't need to include him in every set.

My understanding is that they do have to include a batman in every set. Lego is primarily selling every playset to parents buying toys for their kids. They expect parents will often buy only one set from their whole lineup of batman sets for their kid, and the kid with a batman set but no batman isn't going to be able to play batman stories with it. So he goes in every set.

I think it's easy, even as a parent buying sets mostly for my children and only occasionally getting a set for myself (I have several modulars, which I let my kids and even their friends over for playdates play with) to view decisions Lego makes from the perspective of an adult who isn't going to try to immerse themselves in imaginative play the way kids will. This is true for building sets according to the instructions and with MOCs. When I build MOCs I am all about the final product. My son will stack 150 2x2 tiles onto a baseplates while chattering to himself for 45 minutes and he gets more satisfaction from it than I have ever derived from any solo activity I have undertaken in my adult life.

I am then later tasked with peeling those loving tiles (I spent many hours sorting and it's all undone, jesus) off the baseplate and either damage the pieces using a metal implement or end up with bleeding fingertips but (teeth grinding, involuntary sweating) I do love my children.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Our plan is to get two Boost sets, one for each of our kids this Christmas. Do you know if they can interact in any way? Please do update with more impressions as he plays with it. Boost is way more appealing than Mindstorms from a price and accessibility perspective for our kids, who are 5 and 8. My concern is that it isn't adaptable into inventions that depart from the predesigned 5 builds, which would be a huge shame.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

evobatman posted:

I don't get it.

It's a house that is also a mech and is modular scale, what's difficult to understand?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Hermsgervørden posted:

I am then later tasked with peeling those loving tiles (I spent many hours sorting and it's all undone, jesus) off the baseplate and either damage the pieces using a metal implement or end up with bleeding fingertips but (teeth grinding, involuntary sweating) I do love my children.

Do you not know how to use a brick separator?

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Waltzing Along posted:

Do you not know how to use a brick separator?

Doesn't work well for tiles, the pry bar end can't get under the tile edge between studs. Go ahead and try it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Hermsgervørden posted:

Doesn't work well for tiles, the pry bar end can't get under the tile edge between studs. Go ahead and try it.

Turn the separator over. Works perfectly. :p

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
[quote="“Waltzing Along”" post="“476784261”"]
Turn the separator over. Works perfectly. :p
[/quote]

Oh

My

God

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

If you have a lot of tiles, you can just slide it back and forth and they just pop off.

Is this common knowledge?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Brick separator is good for every single lego connection, except maybe a pair of identical sized plates stuck to each other. But if you do that in a build you hosed up a long time ago. :v:

But in general it's an exceptionally well designed tool.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Hermsgervørden posted:

Our plan is to get two Boost sets, one for each of our kids this Christmas. Do you know if they can interact in any way? Please do update with more impressions as he plays with it. Boost is way more appealing than Mindstorms from a price and accessibility perspective for our kids, who are 5 and 8. My concern is that it isn't adaptable into inventions that depart from the predesigned 5 builds, which would be a huge shame.

I definitely will.

He's not far enough along to see any sort of customization yet, but when I was looking into it, it seems like it's totally possible. They first take you through building things, and each steps unlocks the next.

I had Mindstorms 1.0 and this is, at the very least, more accessible than that.

As far as having two, they're bluetooth controlled through the app, so as long as you connect to the right bluetooth device for each there shouldn't be any conflict. But it autodetects, so it might take some doing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

xzzy posted:

Brick separator is good for every single lego connection, except maybe a pair of identical sized plates stuck to each other. But if you do that in a build you hosed up a long time ago. :v:

But in general it's an exceptionally well designed tool.

If you have 2 identical plates that aren't larger than 2 studs, you put them on the bottom of the separator and then use your thumb to pull apart. Hard to explain but it works.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

ivantod posted:

I like it when Lego releases a huge set that I am not interested in so I don't have to spend even more money! :v:

Holy 270 bucks, Batman!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Waltzing Along posted:

If you have 2 identical plates that aren't larger than 2 studs, you put them on the bottom of the separator and then use your thumb to pull apart. Hard to explain but it works.

One separator on top, one on bottom, squeeze

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sockser posted:

Gonna have to try this one.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Sockser posted:

Ding, ding, ding. This is a life saver particularly for the smaller plates - the 2x1s, 2x2s, eg - stuck on top of one another, as it's that much harder to get leverage on them.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
One thing that drives me crazy is when I'm doing a MOC and need a tiny stupid piece but I can't find one. I spent an hour trying to find two black clips to use as side-mirrors. All these countless thousands of pieces and I can't find the one I need. :negative:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4081b&idColor=11#T=C&C=11 , this piece for reference.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Find a bin storage system and sort it all. You'll be glad you did.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

mitochondritom posted:

Sold. Forget the Falcon, I'm all about poo poo like this and Ninjago City.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Cloks posted:

Holy 270 bucks, Batman!

The_Doctor posted:

Agreed, the price and the release with so many other massive, more interesting sets seem to suggest this one is DOA. Its a great looking set though, but I can't honestly say that I want it. Partly because all the variants of Batman don't amuse me at all which seemed to be the massive draw factor of many Batman movie sets. I got Ninjago City for my partner and I to build through and I think that will be it for me this year.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Kids always love batman.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Do Lego ever take back the unsold sets and repurpose the bricks?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

The_Doctor posted:

Do Lego ever take back the unsold sets and repurpose the bricks?

Seems like that would be more trouble than it's worth.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's probably easier for stores to just put whatever's left on clearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
That set includes new roller coaster track pieces, so there's probably going to be a fairground roller coaster set in the future.